2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by LarryK
So, winning the lottery can turn out to be the worst thing that ever happened to you:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/14/us/lottery-winners-whose-lives-were-ruined.html

or, if you're clever, it can turn out ok. First of all, you'd want to keep your identity secret, something that I believe is not allowed in the US but perhaps is in Europe. Even if you can opt for anonymity, there will be people looking for you. So, you're going to have to go into hiding. A British man, a blacksmith, won the lottery, claimed anonymity, and just wanted to keep his small village life. Well, the British press somehow found out that a blacksmith had won so they turned over the entire country and looked up every single blacksmith and eventually found the guy. As a result, the man had to flee.

This is to say nothing of the lawsuits you are going to face from all friends and relatives. Money can do terrible things to people. Beware of what you wish for.

Some US states allow winners to remain anonymous: The states that allow lottery winners to remain completely anonymous are: Arizona, Delaware, Georgia, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Texas, North Dakota, and Ohio.

I'm out of luck on that score.

Last edited by LarryK; 04/11/22 05:19 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would build my own good sized house out of high quality materials (houses are so cheaply made now) not a big house but maybe a music room and a guest room.

My piano would be a Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and I would get one upright too. (Not sure which one)

I would donate a good amount to a Christian charity.

Help people in need as Hebrews 13:16 says.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
First of, government would already take half of it. I already have a piano so dont need another one. I also have a house and I dont need a bigger one. I guess I would use some of it to make my life more comfortable. Maybe relocate somewhere, though not even sure of that. The rest I would donate to charities by the time I am ready to leave this world.

Blüthner model 6
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Maybe one of each. Or even two of each.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Speak of the devil and the devil appears, as the old saying goes. Here is a woman who has to give away billions. I can only imagine how much work that is and how many traps are laid for a person who sets to do such a thing. I’d probably prefer living under a bridge to having to do that. Anyway, here is the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/10/...harity.html?referringSource=articleShare

I will most likely enter the abyss leaving very little behind. I hope to spend or give it all away before I die. Mark Twain believed that the state after death was the same as the state before death, and that he could not remember any troubles in that vast amount of time during which he had not existed, and certainly no troubles that came close to what he suffered in his life, and so he looked forward to his future nonexistence.

An uncle of a friend of mine told him, son, if I leave you any money, it’s because my last Visa bill has not cleared yet.

Last edited by LarryK; 04/11/22 06:30 PM.
A
A
I'd try (might not be for sale at any price) to get the Yamaha C7 in the recording studio of National Dance Institute in Santa Fe.

It belonged to BumbleBee Bob. Bob (a self made millionaire) created a concert hall *in his house*, in the swankiest part of Santa Fe. He sponsored a mindboggling series of jazz concerts featuring mostly the giants of jazz piano years past. At least a third of all the "names" in jazz piano on my career resume I met and tuned and regulated and voiced for, on that one piano, on that one stage.

Each artist signed their name in permanent sharpie on the plate. The plate is covered with names representing a good chunk of 20th century jazz piano. I tuned and regulated and voiced the bloody heck outa that beast over a period of many years. Bob asked his friend Dave Abell in LA to pick out the most special instrument he had on the floor for this concert series he was planning. Then picked me as the series tech.

Many years of solidly world class music. Bumblebee passes on and wills it to NDI. Also being NDIs tuner too (lol) my upkeep of it continued without a hiccup.

Then I retired, and a brilliant young colleague took over it's care. Have not touched it in years now.

If I won the lottery, I'd get THAT beast, and oversee some young whippersnappers rebuilding it to my specs, then take over when it's ready to regulate and tune.

Obviously not regilding the plate, hehehehe.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet instrument I tell ya what.

PS Just remembered. This was the period in which I was also composer John Williams tuner, at his vacation home here. One time, there was a conflict where Mr. Williams needed my services on the same day BumbleBee needed them for a concert. John was flying in to his hideaway house to compose the theme for the Olympics undisturbed. I think it was that. Something.

I chose Mr. Williams over BumbleBee... like... DUH! wink
Someone else covered for me that day.

Last edited by An Old Square; 04/11/22 06:36 PM.
Ubu Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So, winning the lottery can turn out to be the worst thing that ever happened to you:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/14/us/lottery-winners-whose-lives-were-ruined.html

or, if you're clever, it can turn out ok. First of all, you'd want to keep your identity secret, something that I believe is not allowed in the US but perhaps is in Europe. Even if you can opt for anonymity, there will be people looking for you. So, you're going to have to go into hiding. A British man, a blacksmith, won the lottery, claimed anonymity, and just wanted to keep his small village life. Well, the British press somehow found out that a blacksmith had won so they turned over the entire country and looked up every single blacksmith and eventually found the guy. As a result, the man had to flee.

This is to say nothing of the lawsuits you are going to face from all friends and relatives. Money can do terrible things to people. Beware of what you wish for.

A funny history that also happened in UK is about a man who won a lot of money (more than 100 millions) and his son suited him because he wanted daddy's money. The son was a grown up man enlisted in UK army. He left the army. The father bought him a house, but that was not enough for the son. They went to court. I don't know how it ended up, but if i was the judge that ungrateful entitled not-so-little b**tard won't ever see a cent.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Ubu

A funny history that also happened in UK is about a man who won a lot of money (more than 100 millions) and his son suited him because he wanted daddy's money. The son was a grown up man enlisted in UK army. He left the army. The father bought him a house, but that was not enough for the son. They went to court. I don't know how it ended up, but if i was the judge that ungrateful entitled not-so-little b**tard won't ever see a cent.

Money can change people in horrible ways. Read Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend, both excellent novels by Charles Dickens.

The maladies associated with money are not confined to the British, lol, everybody shares the same maladies.

There was a miser in 1800s New York City who let her own daughter die instead of paying for medical treatment, and the mother had plenty of money to pay for medical treatment.

Last edited by LarryK; 04/11/22 06:33 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Speak of the devil and the devil appears, as the old saying goes. Here is a woman who has to give away billions. I can only imagine how much work that is and how many traps are laid for a person who sets to do such a thing. I’d probably prefer living under a bridge to having to do that. Anyway, here is the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/10/...harity.html?referringSource=articleShare

I would be happy to help her out....

whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
For some reason, I find that guy to be incredibly annoying. I don’t want to watch the video.
I agree with you because he speaks and acts if he is an expert pianist or an expert on pianos. But he is neither.

I like the looks of a digital baby grand that I got a chance to play once. I have played on fancy grand pianos at [of all places] an automobile museum! For some reason, they had about a dozen of them in their museum. The richness of the sound was amazing.

Dona Nobis Pacem
Yamaha DGX 660 (portable 88)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Well, to win the lottery, you have to PLAY the lottery, so there's that.

If I ever DID come into a large sum of "free money", my family and friends would resent me if I didn't give each of them a large chunk. And for some, giving them money would be the most unloving thing I could do. I can't really pick and choose, because that would produce even greater resentment. We all like to think we're nobler than that, but human nature says otherwise. It's a no-win situation, which is one reason why I don't play the lottery.

Roland RD-2000 / Yamaha EW400 & Electone / lots o' synths
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Maybe one of each. Or even two of each.

I'm only kidding actually. I just need one working piano (acoustic or digital), which doesn't have to be any expensive one, and that will keep me happy - forever.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M&HCC94 of course.

Soli Chopin gloria
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Ubu

Oh, oh, I know how it ended up.

The legal action continued until the money was consumed in legal fees.

S
S
Bösendorfer 170VC with yamaha digital system, or a Steinway M, Blüthner X is also possible.

Yamaha P-125 --> Yamaha YUS1TA2 --> ?Grand Piano?
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S

It can be - for those that haven't developed a system or prepared to handle the new situation. Splurging, eating too well, going on too many trips (increasing the possibility of getting to accidents of some sort), children getting spoiled and getting to trouble. Into the unknown. This isn't to say that other 'classes' don't run into situations as well. But for sure - suddenly having a significant life changing situation like winning big time on the lottery has certain nasty (unforeseen) pitfalls. People treating you differently, and some people with newfound wealth may change their behaviour. That's the way is. Remaining anonymous about it - if possible - would be a very good start. And remaining grounded as well.

M
M
I would buy a house a place there approx 211cm long Grotrian, Bechstein or Steinway. Order not incidental.

S
S
I have no idea what piano I'd buy....but I know I'd have an incredible time travelling around searching for it! It makes me so sad I don't live in a place with a variety of dealers/pianos ( although I'm grateful for the peaceful, beautiful place I live more than ever these days )

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
First, I would need to buy a house. Then I would buy Bechstein D 282.

[Linked Image]

But alas, I don't waste my money by playing the lottery...

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission