2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (Animisha, Catlady, 36251, brennbaer, Calavera, Bill McKaig,RPT, 13 invisible), 930 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bart K Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Inspired by Animisha's thread about the joy of recording I wanted to share another joy at the piano, the joy of starting a fresh new piece. There is something thrilling about starting a new journey with a new piece. Maybe it's a piece you have dreamed of playing for a long time, or maybe something you just heard and fell in love with.

So, I just started a brand new piece. It's my first piece by Franz Liszt and unlike most people who seem to be starting with the Libestraume I decided to take on something different.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is something mysterious but also ironic about this music which I like. Maybe I will record it for a future recital.

So, what new piece have you started lately?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Oh, I know this joy as well! It can be such a great joy - sometimes the only piece that I want to practise is my new piece. If that happens, I simply give in and spend all practice time on this one new piece. Soon enough, the exciting newness wears off, and it is just another piece-in-progress, but it was so nice to give it a flying start.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
J
Online Content
J
starting a new piece is always very exciting. love it. and yes absolutely gotta dive in and only practice just the new piece full steam ahead for probably 3 days nothing else lol grin

I just started Grechaninov - After The Ball about 5 days ago. I went back to regular practice with scales and sight reading and such yesterday lol. the piece is a Mazurka on the easier end of RCM Level 3.

• I find the Mazurka musical form interesting with that strong 2nd beat thing... first time something like this for sure
  • I am excited to get this as musical as possible... there is a lot of opportunity here. I prefer a slower tempo than what that recording is showing for sure
  • I can see getting dinged by my teacher on uneven notes for that 16th note ... its on my radar wink
  • already memorized the piece, which is very pleasing. also confirms its on the easier side of RCM 3, which is perfect because I could use a nice one right now

Last edited by JosephW; 04/10/22 09:37 AM.

Yamaha YUS5 TA2 // NI Noire // started Oct 2020 // working on RCM Level 3 (31%)
J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
So, I just started a brand new piece. It's my first piece by Franz Liszt and unlike most people who seem to be starting with the Libestraume I decided to take on something different.

There is something mysterious but also ironic about this music which I like. Maybe I will record it for a future recital.

just found a video of that piece.... oh wow. looks pretty wild. congrats on your first Liszt piece, now THATS exciting. how long do you think you'll be working on a piece like that? o.0

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JosephW
I just started Grechaninov - After The Ball about 5 days ago. I went back to regular practice with scales and sight reading and such yesterday lol. the piece is a Mazurka on the easier end of RCM Level 3.

I am practising that piece as well! Only in my book it is called Primrose and according to my teacher it should be played as delicately at this little flower.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted by Animisha
I am practising that piece as well! Only in my book it is called Primrose and according to my teacher it should be played as delicately at this little flower.

YES! slower tempo is a must, and very musical. lots of room to play with time and dynamics. I like the idea of a delicate flower, great way to think about it going into it.

thank you for also introducing me to that Khachaturian Andantino piece in the other thread. lovely piece of music, I now have it on my list for the future smile

J
J
starting a new piece is always very exciting. love it. and yes absolutely gotta dive in and only practice just the new piece full steam ahead for probably 3 days nothing else lol grin

I am excited to get this as musical as possible... there is a lot of opportunity here. I prefer a slower tempo than what that recording is showing for sure

Very nice piece! I want to try the same with this piece:

J
Online Content
J
hmm i love Schubert. do enjoy learning and playing that one!!! I will look forward to it in a couple years from now grin

Bart K Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

just found a video of that piece.... oh wow. looks pretty wild. congrats on your first Liszt piece, now THATS exciting. how long do you think you'll be working on a piece like that? o.0
Well, it's RCM 10 so for me probably about 3-4 months to performance standard but I think I can get the notes down pretty quickly. It looks simpler than many level 10 pieces. I went over half of the piece today to figure out a good fingering and I think that's going to be tricky - lots of thumb on black and transitions in not so comfortable places and at a fast tempo it's going to be hard not to miss any notes. But overall it looks quite doable. I've been playing piano for 7.5 years.

Bart K Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

• I find the Mazurka musical form interesting with that strong 2nd beat thing... first time something like this for sure
  • I am excited to get this as musical as possible... there is a lot of opportunity here. I prefer a slower tempo than what that recording is showing for sure
  • I can see getting dinged by my teacher on uneven notes for that 16th note ... its on my radar wink
  • already memorized the piece, which is very pleasing. also confirms its on the easier side of RCM 3, which is perfect because I could use a nice one right now
It sounds like you're off to a great start. Keep it up! 👍

J
Online Content
J
Well, it's RCM 10 so for me probably about 3-4 months to performance standard but I think I can get the notes down pretty quickly. It looks simpler than many level 10 pieces. I went over half of the piece today to figure out a good fingering and I think that's going to be tricky - lots of thumb on black and transitions in not so comfortable places and at a fast tempo it's going to be hard not to miss any notes. But overall it looks quite doable. I've been playing piano for 7.5 years.

awesome.... good luck and enjoy!!

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

YES! slower tempo is a must, and very musical. lots of room to play with time and dynamics. I like the idea of a delicate flower, great way to think about it going into it.

thank you for also introducing me to that Khachaturian Andantino piece in the other thread. lovely piece of music, I now have it on my list for the future smile

Isn't it nice when you find a lovely piece that you can play some future day? The joy of finding a new piece!

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Isn't it nice when you find a lovely piece that you can play some future day? The joy of finding a new piece!

I'm currently experiencing the very real joy of making better progress on a piece the second time around, than I did when I originally started the piece (and utterly failed to stick with it). smile I guess that would be the joy of overcoming an old nemesis.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
J
Online Content
J
Well, it's RCM 10 ...I've been playing piano for 7.5 years.

BTW love to hear stuff like this. I've seen a few members lay out when they started and where they're at. for those of us on similar paths but much earlier and closer to the starting line, it is very inspiring to see folks like you who are really doing it. its great to see its really possible. thank you for sharing! cool

J
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
J
I’m thinking about giving Schumann/Liszt Widmung a go with my teacher.

A
A
I love to sight-read, and am very fortunate to have inherited a large collection of piano music, so I know this joy very well. grin I returned to the piano after an absence of about 40 years and the vast repertoire of the instrument is an endless delight to me. SO many treasures to discover!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Gosh that Joy has changed over the years and it was scary/overwhelming at the beginning, for me at least. My teacher never started me on those beginners books, we went right into the scores. Now, it is a true joy as I bring with me a bag of tools to learn a piece methodically and I actually love the discussion of a piece with my teacher from history, technical challenges ahead, the dynamics, well before my fingers touch the key board. We discuss different artists play of the score. There is so much practice away from the piano so I can really appreciate what I am playing.

That said, I chose to sit exams in 2021 and section A of ABRSM pieces scare me! And reason for sitting the exam is to be curious re fast tempo pieces….and I am realizing that I can play these pieces with a lot practice and patience. Also, loving the jazz pieces in the syllabus too. I may record a few for future recitals.

J
Online Content
J
being naughty and started a new one again lol. from RCM level 3, started Minuet in G minor, BWV Anh. 115 (Petzold). its a beautiful piece and I'm loving it. but, I definitely have too many pieces going on right now...

- got (5) RCM pieces going on with teacher. about to pass 2 of them though...
- got (3) ARBSM pieces going on for exam in 3 weeks. will be done with those at that time.

basically I jumped the gun probably shoulda waited haha whatever I was excited when the Minuet Henle edition came in the mail had to dive in!!!!
The Joy Of Starting A New Piece grin

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Working on the first mvt of the Clementi Sonatina in C with the teacher. Meanwhile started the Beethoven Sonatina in G (also found in Suzuki Book 2). These are short pieces with simple LH accompaniment.

I
Ido Offline
I
Cool thread.
My usual reaction to a new piece is 'how the heck am I gonna play this? Is this really possible?'
It might even take me a week to force myself to start working on it instead than staying in the comfort zone of the other 'in-progress' pieces (because I have to prepare something for the upcoming lesson :-) )
But once I get going, I enter the more fun period you are talking about. It's fun because you always discover new things about a piece when you actually try to play it, even if you think you know it by heart from many listens.

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,430
Posts3,216,932
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission