2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (80k, BMKE, Alan F, Bett, belcanto89, anamnesis, anotherscott, 15 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I could go to her each Saturday when transport is available, it's a bit far away from Marsa, unlike the school of music which I could go there by walking.

So this means there will be time I will not be attending since nobody could take me there.

Also I still am going to school of music starting in October.

She told me it's more rational to wait which she could be right, I haven't gone or set up an appointment yet, just told her Saturday is the only time I will be free since I work from 7am til 4pm, the school of music told me they allow for lessons after 4pm, presuming it's not at a Saturday which I'l be free.

I've hit a roadblock even with Fabers all in one adult piano adventures, specifically with music notes, I learned some of them but some still confuse me and also I'm still trying to work on my finger work with piano, having some difficulty there.

So should I go with this teacher temporarily or should I wait for October and cancel going to her meanwhile resuming practice?

Oh yeah it only costs 11€ for 1 hour so it's cheap.

Last edited by LavaWave; 04/18/22 07:10 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
If you know in advance which weekends you have transport available and those which you do not it might be possible to arrange those lessons. If your transport could be cancelled at the last moment in other words on the day of the lesson I suggest your lessons with this teacher are not practicable.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
How are you planning on paying for these lessons? If you pay a monthly fee, regardless of whether you are able to attend all of the lessons, that would probably be acceptable,

If you would be reserving a weekly lesson slot, but would not be paying for missed lessons, this would not be acceptable as you would be denying the teacher income from a student who was able to attend the lessons. Independent teachers count on the reliability of income to pay their bills and need students who can reliably contribute to the income they need.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
OP Offline
True, thinking about it this doesn't seem practical, perhaps thinking about it it would be better if I wait.

Anyway yes, it is weekly pay, which as you said, seems problematic

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by LavaWave
True, thinking about it this doesn't seem practical, perhaps thinking about it it would be better if I wait.

Anyway yes, it is weekly pay, which as you said, seems problematic

If it would be agreeable to you, and to your finances, you could agree with the teacher, that you will pay as if you attended the lesson, even if you need to miss. That way the teacher can count on this income,

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

OP Offline
Well I already told her that but I'm still not sure yet if I should go with it or wait until October to go to school of music as she suggested, as well my family suggested, which they could be right.

Maybe I'm rushing things here, I haven't attended/set up appointments yet so I could tell her that I will wait until October if that's more reasonable or rational.

OP Offline
Ok, she also gave me the choice of online lessons as well but I'm not sure I should apply for online lessons right now, I think being with a teacher or tutor is better right now than online but idk, should a beginner apply for online lessons for a start?

I still do self learning every now and then but as I've said I've hit a block so yeah.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Ok, she also gave me the choice of online lessons as well but I'm not sure I should apply for online lessons right now, I think being with a teacher or tutor is better right now than online but idk, should a beginner apply for online lessons for a start?

I still do self learning every now and then but as I've said I've hit a block so yeah.

What about in person lessons when you can get a ride, and remote when you can’t?

OP Offline
I suppose that could work, I don't have a credit card personally but I do have Revolut and luckily she accepts Revolut, though I very rarely used it, so I need to figure that out beforehand but if that could work, yes I suppose it's possible.

My plan is to get the basics down like learn music sheets, hand/finger position and the stuff, I know this will take a lot of time and self-practicing can only take me so far when I get stuck somewhere, so yeah I'l try that but first I think it's best to make the first lesson in person I think.

W
W
I’d go for the online lessons for now.it will get you kick started and you’ll have some one to answer your questions. Just see how it goes. You can always change things up when you get sorted

Last edited by Wayne2467; 04/18/22 02:15 PM.
OP Offline
Is it a good idea for a beginner to start with online lessons? I was thinking of first go to the teacher and then proceed with online lessons if I would not be able to go, this sounds more reasonable, besides I still need to get my hand positioning correctly first, sure Fabers book states I have to put my hand position in it's natural position while pretending I have a soup bubble in my hand, easier said than done.

And then there's the music sheets, their notes which I presume they will take a while to learn.

The hand thing I don't think could be trained via online lessons while the music sheets/notes could be learned I guess, music sheets are not simple at least to me, I tried reading some of these sheets from https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/ while I understood some of it, they're still for the major part complicated, Minecraft music sounds easy but I still have trouble fully grasping the sheets.

https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/browse/series/Other (Minecraft music there, I heard it a million times as I used to play that game, so it's kinda easy to remember)

Finger training is going to take a while which is why I believe private lessons would suit me better in this case, I'l switch to online later on or when not available to come but for the first time I think I should book a private lesson.

Last edited by LavaWave; 04/18/22 02:44 PM.
W
W
Sorted then😁

S
S
And then there's the music sheets, their notes which I presume they will take a while to learn..

It's usually better to start really simple and work up rather than trying to learn something that is really too hard for you. If you haven't read and played music from sheets before you need to start with really, really simple music that you can read and play without having to stop and work out each note. One note at a time if necessary until you can recognise each note as well as a letter of the alphabet.

This sight reading trainer can help. If you can plug a midi keyboard into a PC running a Chrome-based browser it will work. Free, no registration required. Click on Configure to set up number of staves, notes, key etc. It's only a random note generator, not music, so it's pretty boring but can help get that basic familiarity going.

https://dev.ddpep.de:886/srt/

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
OP Offline
Well I have a Yamaha YDP S34 it can be plugged on smartphones.

OP Offline
Alright, I think I will not be doing private lessons and wait til October, it would be more rational to do so I believe.

Meanwhile I'l resume self practice, experimenting and try to learn as much about reading music sheets all the while, I have stopped because I've felt that I've hit a roadblock.

I'm uncertain about my hand/finger positioning on the keys yet.

Fabers book suggested holding my hand in it's natural position snd imagine I'm holding a soup bubble or something, I need to train on that.

I'm at work now and have no access to pianos, so I'l take screenshots of my hand at my piano when I get home and put them up.

I've been reading Fabers adult piano adventures as I've said earlier, I've made some little progress so far, I've played some simple songs that were on the first pages with varying success.

I'l continue on Fabers book in the time being and resume practice again.

S
S
Hi LavaWave...just a suggestion to consider.

You could see if the teacher would be open to a few hour-long 'workshop' type of lessons at a time that works for you both. Even though it wouldn't be the same as weekly lessons, where your progress is checked on, perhaps he/she could get you started on correct hand/body alignment, and any exercises they may feel is appropriate.

A few of these workshop-type lessons spaced out over the next few months could end up being very helpful, and assist with keeping you on track.
I would expect to pay a higher rate for this type of lesson, but reasonable of course.

It's hard starting off by yourself with no guidance...many of us at PW have been in your shoes.

OP Offline
So what you're trying to tell me is to tell her what I want to learn on, I suppose that could work, might give it a try.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Sorry Lava
I would recommend that you keep with the weekly lessons at least until Oct. you will have questions every week, and need a way to keep yourself on the right track. In person when you can, otherwise remote.

I’ve suggested this previously, so apologies for suggesting again—- I just don’t think you are at a place will occasional feedback will be best. I promise I’ll stop suggesting it

OP Offline
You're right, it's just I need to be sure about it before I do it, I don't want to rush things needlessly.

OP Offline
Besides there are a handful people not from this community (people I know personally) who told me it's best to wait as I may be rushing things and being irrational.

However if taking private lessons is a good idea before entering the school of music then I might start this Saturday or the next, first time go private then I would switch to online when necessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bösendorfer 225 from the Chromatic Vortex
by James Gordon - 06/27/22 06:03 PM
Replacing fallboard decal
by Acceber - 06/27/22 03:44 PM
Your "Best Digital Piano" Opinion Requested
by IraBob - 06/27/22 02:18 PM
Yamaha rant
by WTF Bach - 06/27/22 01:58 PM
Crowdsourcing Fingerings and Solutions
by Papa D - 06/27/22 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,698
Posts3,203,783
Members105,659
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission