2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (80k, belcanto89, Bett, anamnesis, anotherscott, 36251, bob@pei, accordeur, 12 invisible), 3,162 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Curt-S Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I’m using Aux out patched to a headphone amp to boost volume. Should I disable binaural? Or is that just if you go to monitors? It does sound a little off, but not sure if I’ve decided I don’t like binaural on when using the external amp to headphones.

What if I send Aux out into an audio interface for recording, like my UAD twin? Should I disable binaural then?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The reason why the manual recommend you to disable the binaural mode is that this mode is not optimized for speakers.

If you use headphones, it is recommended to enable the binaural mode, and I guess that you have to plug something in your headphones jack (adapter), to be sure to have this mode on.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Not sure why the amp is affecting binaural when you use headphones.

Binaural audio works by leveraging tiny changes in 1) timing differences of sounds reaching each of your ears, 2) volume differences of the same, and 3) tone changes from occlusions of sounds passing through your head/ears etc. Probably a lot more here, too (look up head related transfer function if you are iinterested. The important thing is that it is made specifically to output sound from one stereo channel to one ear and not the other, which is why you need to use headphones to isolate what each ear heads.

If the amp it somehow affecting the stereo channel timing or volume differences or otherwise coloring the sound (I don't know what amps can put are likely to do) then it may affect the binaural effect.

Ideally, if you like binaural and you are going to use headphones (or you are recording and specifically instructing listeners to use headphones) then keep binaural on. If your output will be used with speakers or you don't know if headphones will be involved, turn it off.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Why not use the headphone jack to drive the headphone amp?

If you did that (unplug from the headphone jack when using speakers, and plug into the headphone jack when using headphones), the "binaural <---> speaker stereo" switching would probably be automatic. You'd probably want to turn off "binaural" when recording, if you use headphones to monitor your recording sessions.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Interesting feature. Anybody know if there are two different sets of samples? So if the 'binaural' samples are heading out to the headphones socket, then does it mean that a different set of sound samples are heading out to the AUX socket?

So the digital instrument can be outputting two different sets of samples (ok ---- reconstructed sounds from the samples) simultaneously - one set going to the headphones, while the other set goes out to the AUX?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Binaural usually means different samples, recorded with something like a Neumann KU100. Yamaha has a distinction between Binaural (different samples), and Sterophonic Optimizer (same samples but processed to sound like binaural).

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks frederic. Will that also mean that when the headphones aren't plugged in, then the instrument just automatically switches to the non-binaural counterpart samples? (That's for cases where there are binarual and non-binaural sample pairs) That's what I'm assuming only at the moment.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Normally, the piano will select automatically the binaural settings depending of wether an headphones pair is plugged in the headphones speakers.

Then ON is the correct and default settings for most situations.

The OFF setting is required when you use the AUX output (speakers or recorder) AND the headphones and then don’t want binaural.

If you want binaural, just keep the settings on ON (the default), and plug something on the headphones jack to make the piano believe you have headphones.

From the N1X manual :

When headphones are connected, the sound from this instrument changed to the sound of Binaural Sampling or the sound enhanced with the Stereophonic Optimizer.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/24/22 06:32 PM.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Nice one. Thanks very much Frederic. Your description is ultra clear. That would be awesome to include in their manual!

C
Curt-S Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Why not use the headphone jack to drive the headphone amp?

If you did that (unplug from the headphone jack when using speakers, and plug into the headphone jack when using headphones), the "binaural <---> speaker stereo" switching would probably be automatic. You'd probably want to turn off "binaural" when recording, if you use headphones to monitor your recording sessions.

I wanted to avoid having the additional gain stage. If I output from the headphone jack I will pass on any noise generated there. Using the pre-amp Aux outs, the only gain stage is the headphone amp.

The annoying part is that you then need to plug something in to the headphone jack (or dig through the menus) to disable the onboard CLP speakers.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bösendorfer 225 from the Chromatic Vortex
by James Gordon - 06/27/22 06:03 PM
Replacing fallboard decal
by Acceber - 06/27/22 03:44 PM
Your "Best Digital Piano" Opinion Requested
by IraBob - 06/27/22 02:18 PM
Yamaha rant
by WTF Bach - 06/27/22 01:58 PM
Crowdsourcing Fingerings and Solutions
by Papa D - 06/27/22 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,698
Posts3,203,780
Members105,659
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission