2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (anamnesis, anotherscott, 36251, bob@pei, accordeur, Damien PG, 13 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Andre Magnus
Do advanced players always take quick glances at their hands when making a leap to a new chord, no matter how many years of experience and degrees they have under their belts, or do the professionals eventually play their pieces completely blindly, even when leaping?

And if you can make leaps accurately without looking, do you have any tips on how to improve this ability?

The reason behind the question: I was taught to look at the sheet music when playing and only to look down when jumping to a new place, but the problem is that, when I look back up at the notes, it always takes me some time before I find the place where I was.

Something I can contribute to.

Ragtime is famous for left-hand leaps. But these are really predictable in theory (hah). They're not easy, but I got to where these were automatic. Ragtime's chord palette is mostly limited.

But when I told my pro-level ragtime teacher the maxim I had learned about not looking down from the page, he was like "Who told you that?"

There are jumps and there are jumps. I think the rule you learn for not looking down at your hands is meant to guide people in "earlier" stages, where "earlier" can be a while, but at some point you need to internalize some jumps but still take advantage of the resource that is your eyes for unusual jumps.

Getting back to your spot on the sheet is a supplementary skill.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

Whilst this isn't a direct answer to the OP's original question it does try to explain some of the mechanics going on when playing the Piano.

It's also a great, intelligent TV program from 2 sadly missed individuals.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums
Thomann Vibraphone

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for reminding me of this video. Two fine minds gone.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
J
J
Your post subject is "leaping blindly".
I didn't read past the first line of your post, I don't think I need to.
Do gymnasts leap blindly on the beam, or floor, or bar...?
Or do they do what they do, as a result of thousands of hours of practicing and ultimately developing skills and techniques?
Leaping will / should become as natural to you as a cartwheel is to a competitive gymnast. They don't think about every part of the movement involved in doing a cartwheel, they just do it.
But if you're not a gymnast then those basic maneuvers sure look amazing, right?
It's not amazing. It's routine, eventually....
Good luck.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnnyIssieBangie
Or do they do what they do, as a result of thousands of hours of practicing and ultimately developing skills and techniques?
Leaping will / should become as natural to you as a cartwheel is to a competitive gymnast. They don't think about every part of the movement involved in doing a cartwheel, they just do it.
But if you're not a gymnast then those basic maneuvers sure look amazing, right?
Good luck.
Even the best professionals look if the passage is difficult enough when they play with the score and look a lot more(even when there are not leaps)if playing without the score. Your post refers more to shorter "leaps" which, with time, don't require looking. What's "long" for an experienced pianist is not the same as what's "long" for a less experienced pianist. Just because a leap may become automatic with enough experience doesn't mean one shouldn't be thinking about how to do it when one is less experienced.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
The skill of wide fast leaps is based on some kinds of memory, not just muscle; however , with age this kind of memory also weakens . like others.

Nahum #3212869 04/30/22 04:48 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Nahum
The skill of wide fast leaps is based on some kinds of memory, not just muscle; however , with age this kind of memory also weakens . like others.

Aging effects each of us in different ways and at different times.
There is no universal pattern

Last edited by dogperson; 04/30/22 04:53 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Good luck.

True. When preservation of body or own life etc depends on it -------- including 'free climbing' etc --- the exponent really needs to be ultra well-conditioned, and done a heap of practice, and also relying on their own mental and physical ability to get it right. Or maximising the chance of getting it 'right' ------ every time. And there is always the chance - but don't know when it can actually come due to uncertainty of something going ..... ok .... better not get into that.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Good luck.

True. When preservation of body or own life etc depends on it -------- including 'free climbing' etc --- the exponent really needs to be ultra well-conditioned, and done a heap of practice, and also relying on their own mental and physical ability to get it right. Or maximising the chance of getting it 'right' ------ every time. And there is always the chance - but don't know when it can actually come due to uncertainty of something going ..... ok .... better not get into that.

In terms of leaps while playing the piano, they depend on practice, repetition and time in order to execute them well. Your body needs to develop the proprioception needed to execute them.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bösendorfer 225 from the Chromatic Vortex
by James Gordon - 06/27/22 06:03 PM
Replacing fallboard decal
by Acceber - 06/27/22 03:44 PM
Your "Best Digital Piano" Opinion Requested
by IraBob - 06/27/22 02:18 PM
Yamaha rant
by WTF Bach - 06/27/22 01:58 PM
Crowdsourcing Fingerings and Solutions
by Papa D - 06/27/22 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,698
Posts3,203,780
Members105,659
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission