2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I probably live in one of the more expensive COL areas around, and just had my first tuning done. My tech's regular rate for tuning is $205. So at twice a year a little under $500, three times a year a little over. I would think that's not average, but when you look at housing rates around here, $200 starts to seem like a rounding error frown

And that's for a decent piano. My old upright got tuned every year and never sounded any different. After we left home, it never got tuned and still sounded the same. I eventually had it in my own home and dearly wished I'd kept it.

Last edited by peterws; 04/28/22 06:00 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
I only need tuning twice per year at the most - I could probably be fine with once per year if I didn't teach on it. Humidity here is pretty stable, and it's those swings that causes a piano to go out of tune. I pay $110 for a straight-up tuning. My piano is old (ca.1988) so I've had some work done on it which would not need to be done on a new instrument.

edited to add: For me, I do feel that my expenses for maintaining my piano are well worth it. But I understand it's not feasible for all, that's why digital pianos are great to have. Many of them are such high quality that it's accessible for most people. So I'm definitely not against digitals!

Last edited by Morodiene; 04/28/22 09:21 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
V
VLH Offline
V
$125-150 in the Twin Cities area (MN) for a quality tuner. Regulation, voicing, etc. is typically not an annual event.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by peterws
My old upright got tuned every year and never sounded any different. After we left home, it never got tuned and still sounded the same. I eventually had it in my own home and dearly wished I'd kept it.

Peter, sounds like your old piano was a pro at keeping in tune. I'm sure many acoustic owners would be quite envious of that smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
M
M
Back to the VPC-1, I've had one for three years and have not needed to do any maintenance at all. In some ways it's been my most boring purchase. Bought it, plugged it in. It felt like a piano, and has ever since...

U1. RD-2000. Komplete Kontrol 61 1st gen. Pianoteq, Ravenscroft, etc. Two kids on Alfred.
N
N
when I read your post I instantly thought : you DON'T want a VPC1. Because you don't want a midi controller. If you start the piano, "push a button and play" is what you want
besides, you say you want a small appartment and want to be able to move it : it's heavy and more fragile than plastic keybeds
it has a fantastic keyboard (by the way, all the Concert Artist pianos have wooden keybeds too), but you should really give a try to other keyboards, even 100% plastic, some are very good too. Kawai ES, Roland FP, Yamaha P255/P515 all pretty good at a decent price

Also, I do not really need a keyboard with built-in speakers, as I would like to practice with headphones. Basically, I just want a MIDI controller, with good action and key feel.
and I'm not sure you understand what a MIDI controller is

Last edited by Nigo; 04/29/22 03:11 AM.
A
A
For me the VPC1 has no alternatives.
The only upgrade would be a millennium action. (of course much more space and weight).
If you can try the mp11se somewhere, think that the VPC1 is a little harder but faster (in key response) + the overall weight is about 30kg (mp11 has 40kg).
With a dongle I can even use my iPhone for sounds. So why buying a DP with sounds that no one wants in 5 years...

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aphexdisklavier
For me the VPC1 has no alternatives.
The only upgrade would be a millennium action. (of course much more space and weight).
If you can try the mp11se somewhere, think that the VPC1 is a little harder but faster (in key response) + the overall weight is about 30kg (mp11 has 40kg).
With a dongle I can even use my iPhone for sounds. So why buying a DP with sounds that no one wants in 5 years...

+1 Also a happy VPC1 owner (for close to two years now). Used daily, no maintenance needed. And my unit was bought second hand

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Dude456 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the answers everyone. In the end, I have ordered a VPC1 and also bought PianoTeq 7.

Kawai VPC1 | PianoTeq 8 | Spectrasonics Keyscape
B
B
Bought my VPC-1 sight unseen based on user reviews years ago, no regrets whatsoever. For me, a piano player, nothing else approaches the tactile feel and its ability to eek out subtle nuances of so many of the vst's. IMO it's thee pianist controller.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dude456
Thanks for the answers everyone. In the end, I have ordered a VPC1 and also bought PianoTeq 7.

Congratulations, wise decision! When will it arrive?

Originally Posted by butchkoch
Bought my VPC-1 sight unseen based on user reviews years ago, no regrets whatsoever. For me, a piano player, nothing else approaches the tactile feel and its ability to eek out subtle nuances of so many of the vst's. IMO it's thee pianist controller.

I have done exactly the same. Unseen, untested, based solely on reviews. Still very happy with my choice!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I've been with my VPC1 for almost 18 months. In between, it has been through a move from Cincinnati to Bloomington, 2 hours by car. No damage and still working daily. With a Korg Nanokontrol on top, I've got my modulation andvolume sliders, plus a few more buttons that I'll have no use for. smile Congrats on your wise decision!!!

I've had my VPC1 for almost a year now. My Sweetwater sales rep called me the other day to check in. I told him that, of all the gear I've bought from Sweetwater over the years, the VPC1 is the best. My second-best purchase was PianoTeq.

Unlike some other people I could mention <cough>Animisha</cough>, I've never strayed from the straight and narrow path of VPC1 + PTQ... wink

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
I've had my VPC1 for almost a year now. My Sweetwater sales rep called me the other day to check in. I told him that, of all the gear I've bought from Sweetwater over the years, the VPC1 is the best. My second-best purchase was PianoTeq.

Unlike some other people I could mention <cough>Animisha</cough>, I've never strayed from the straight and narrow path of VPC1 + PTQ... wink

Haha. PianoTeq certainly have its fans. I do have to say that after listening to what it can do with fortepianos, it is good with some things. However I still wouldn't trust it for grand pianos. smile It's still a bit artificial sounding.

O
O
I’m one of the apparently few exceptions that had terrible slip tape problems for over a year. Even with that hassle, I’m happy with the VPC1. I use it with Garritan CFX mostly. Hope you enjoy yours.

Originally Posted by David Lai
Haha. PianoTeq certainly have its fans. I do have to say that after listening to what it can do with fortepianos, it is good with some things. However I still wouldn't trust it for grand pianos. smile It's still a bit artificial sounding.
Well, that's because you're a pro, David, and I'm just a schlub! cry

For me, PianoTeq is the best solution because: it's relatively inexpensive; it's easy to install and set up; it takes up so little disk space that it doesn't even require its own external drive; it has no lag time even on my old, underpowered MacBook Pro; the VPC1 has a built-in velocity curve setting for it; and it sounds good to my tin ear!

People who can actually play may prefer something else, but for a beginner like me, it definitely fits the bill... smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Yes! cool Some people cling anxiously to what the familiar, while others are open to a bit of experimentation. wink
But I must admit, the experimentation, even if it was on sale, was not worth it. I cannot even remember when I last used it.

For me, PianoTeq is the best solution because: it's relatively inexpensive; it's easy to install and set up; it takes up so little disk space that it doesn't even require its own external drive; it has no lag time even on my old, underpowered MacBook Pro; the VPC1 has a built-in velocity curve setting for it; and it sounds good to my tin ear!

I agree on all points, but you forgot one of its best features. If I have played something and I want to check how I sound, I can immediately and easily play it back.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Very true to the points above. So far, the interface on PianoTeq 7 is quite accessible, and things are all adjustable. I forgot the velocity curve on the VPC1, should give that a test sometime during my trial of the software.

Originally Posted by Animisha
I agree on all points, but you forgot one of its best features. If I have played something and I want to check how I sound, I can immediately and easily play it back.
Yes, that sounds like a great feature! I can't wait until I can play something that sounds good enough that I want to play it back... cry cursing

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
Yes, that sounds like a great feature! I can't wait until I can play something that sounds good enough that I want to play it back... cry cursing

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission