2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
keff #3213693 05/04/22 08:45 AM
keff Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Thank you Ido. You are very kind.

keff #3213771 05/04/22 12:35 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lilypad
Rickster - "You're gonna look back and say" is another great original country song. Country isn't my favorite genre of music, but one of the things I admire about it is the clever lyrics I hear in country music that often puts a smile on my face. The lyrics from "Anna Lee" and this one are a case in point for clever use of the English language and still 100 percent original.

Thanks for the comments, lilypad! I think you are in the majority here on PW in terms of Country music not being your favorite genre of music. Due to my musical background and upbringing, it is among my favorite genres of music, for better or worse; but I also like many genres of music. And, I think it is true that music is indeed a universal language, regardless of genre.

Originally Posted by BillM
Rickster - You really have it going on with this great original tune. The drums are a sweet addition to your always awesome piano playing. I so enjoy watching you perform!

Thank you for the kind words, Bill, and I enjoyed your rendition of Elvis' "Are you lonesome tonight". I too am a big Elvis fan, and, I'm also a BillM fan!! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
lilypad #3213812 05/04/22 02:48 PM
keff - "Forgotten Dreams" is just lovely. I've only heard it once before when someone played it for a recital and it's been on my "learn to play someday" list since then.

Rickster - "You're gonna look back and say" is another great original country song. Country isn't my favorite genre of music, but one of the things I admire about it is the clever lyrics I hear in country music that often puts a smile on my face. The lyrics from "Anna Lee" and this one are a case in point for clever use of the English language and still 100 percent original.

OregonJim - The "Crawdad Song" was just great and made me smile. That's some amazing stuff you do with your keyboard.

Thank you, Lilypad. I made a mistake in naming it "The Crawdad Song". That was a different tune that Andy Griffith often performed in the series. This one was "The Fishin' Hole", the theme song for the series. I corrected the video title.

Roland RD-2000 / Yamaha EW400 & Electone / lots o' synths
Rickster #3213901 05/04/22 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Rickster

Thanks for the comments, lilypad! I think you are in the majority here on PW in terms of Country music not being your favorite genre of music. Due to my musical background and upbringing, it is among my favorite genres of music, for better or worse; but I also like many genres of music. And, I think it is true that music is indeed a universal language, regardless of genre.

Originally Posted by BillM
Rickster - You really have it going on with this great original tune. The drums are a sweet addition to your always awesome piano playing. I so enjoy watching you perform!

Thank you for the kind words, Bill, and I enjoyed your rendition of Elvis' "Are you lonesome tonight". I too am a big Elvis fan, and, I'm also a BillM fan!! smile

Rick

@BillM - I really enjoyed "Are You Lonesome Tonight". Thank you for treating us!

@Rick - I wasn't much of a country fan in my younger days, but now it's one of my favorite genres. Funny how that goes.

keff #3213922 05/04/22 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by OregonJim
@Rick - I wasn't much of a country fan in my younger days, but now it's one of my favorite genres. Funny how that goes.

I hear you, Jim! smile

I was a teenager during the late 1960s and early 1970s, so I do like other genres of music besides Country, as you can imagine. There were some great music groups, and bands during that time, which certainly influenced my musical taste.

Also, my dad was a big Country Music fan, and when I was a kid that is the music I heard mostly around our house; and, that too helped to influence my musical taste.

Most of the members of the Piano Buddies group I participate in focuses primarily on Classical music, and I've gained an appreciation and respect for Classical music. By the same token, I think some of them have gained a certain appreciation for boogie and blues, and some of them are now learning some boogie and blues pieces/arraignments. Hope I'm not a bad influence on them... smile

I suppose we all have certain genres of music we like best, which can ebb and flow, as you mentioned.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #3213951 05/05/22 02:04 AM

I hear you, Jim! smile

I was a teenager during the late 1960s and early 1970s, so I do like other genres of music besides Country, as you can imagine. There were some great music groups, and bands during that time, which certainly influenced my musical taste.

Also, my dad was a big Country Music fan, and when I was a kid that is the music I heard mostly around our house; and, that too helped to influence my musical taste.

Most of the members of the Piano Buddies group I participate in focuses primarily on Classical music, and I've gained an appreciation and respect for Classical music. By the same token, I think some of them have gained a certain appreciation for boogie and blues, and some of them are now learning some boogie and blues pieces/arraignments. Hope I'm not a bad influence on them... smile

I suppose we all have certain genres of music we like best, which can ebb and flow, as you mentioned.

Rick

I was a teenager in the '70s too, Rick. Born and raised in New England, where country music was scarce and usually derided. Like your dad, my dad was a big country fan, being raised in the West (where I am now). I got to hear his favorites, like Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Roy Clark, Hank Williams, and a few others - but I didn't know anyone else who listened to that stuff. It's kind of silly, but I guess when we're young, we listen to the music that our friends listen to. For me that was mostly classic rock.

I was always drawn to the blues, though. Of all the genres, that one has been a constant my entire life. Never got into classical until the last decade or so. I still have a very limited appreciation for it - however what I *do* like sounds amazing to me.

Bluegrass, country, rock, boogie-woogie, stride, ragtime, blues, classical, jazz, gospel, hymns - it's all good. About the only thing I won't put up with is rap/hip-hop/heavy metal. That's just me.

keff #3213999 05/05/22 09:21 AM
I was always drawn to the blues, though. Of all the genres, that one has been a constant my entire life.

Seems like we have a lot in common, Jim! At least when it comes to music, and our musical backgrounds (and our age?:-).

Speaking of the Blues, here is a song I wrote a couple of years ago entitled "I want to be a Blues Man". However, I do play it on an old Hohner acoustic guitar.

Also, I do some talking at the beginning of the video, which is a bad habit, but I always like to give some background info on my songs/arraignments. Some like the talking, and some don't; either way, I think I talk too much. smile

I know this is the Piano Bar and not the Guitar Bar, but there is a piano in the background and I mention the piano in my monologue. Of all the original songs I've written, this is among my favorites.

"I want to be a Blues Man" via YouTube

Rick

keff #3214010 05/05/22 09:51 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Something I just came up with while noodling on the piano. The first phrase seemed to say Something Calls Me so that's what I called it.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
Seems like we have a lot in common, Jim! At least when it comes to music, and our musical backgrounds (and our age?:-).

Speaking of the Blues, here is a song I wrote a couple of years ago entitled "I want to be a Blues Man". However, I do play it on an old Hohner acoustic guitar.

Rick, I think you may have a few years on me, but not many. smile

You're a natural with the blues. I really enjoyed that (even with the talking!).

Originally Posted by LarryShone
Something I just came up with while noodling on the piano. The first phrase seemed to say Something Calls Me so that's what I called it.

Larry, that melody sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it. In any case, your title fits the piece well.

keff #3214208 05/05/22 10:27 PM
@LarryShone: I enjoyed listening to "Something Calls Me", Larry! A nice improvision for sure!

Rick, I think you may have a few years on me, but not many. smile

You're a natural with the blues. I really enjoyed that (even with the talking!).

Hey, thanks for the kind words, Jim! And, I was just guessing about our age being similar, and didn't mean to imply that we were the same age. But when it comes to music, I forget just how old I am. I figure that is a good thing! smile

Reminds me of another one of my original songs, "Every time I think about you, it makes me feel so young". But I'll hold off on posting that one for a while.

Rick

Rickster #3214248 05/06/22 04:30 AM
Hey, thanks for the kind words, Jim! And, I was just guessing about our age being similar, and didn't mean to imply that we were the same age. But when it comes to music, I forget just how old I am. I figure that is a good thing! smile

Reminds me of another one of my original songs, "Every time I think about you, it makes me feel so young". But I'll hold off on posting that one for a while.

Rick

LOL Rick. No worries. I'm guessing we're within 10 years of each other. Close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades. smile

Last edited by OregonJim; 05/06/22 04:33 AM.

keff #3214254 05/06/22 05:21 AM
keff Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Another one here about the same age. I started to become aware of country music in the early 1970's when introduced to it by my wife to be. Grew to like it and also admire the artists.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Larry, that melody sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it. In any case, your title fits the piece well.
I was playing In the Bleak Midwinter by Holst prior to coming up with this

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

I played this piece over 2 years ago... in winter of course and made a recording in December. Now we're in spring heading into summer. A lovely song but unseasonal.

Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416

I played this piece over 2 years ago... in winter of course and made a recording in December. Now we're in spring heading into summer. A lovely song but unseasonal.

...unless you live in the southern hemisphere! smile

keff #3214639 05/07/22 02:22 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Catching up on comments for the fine performances...

BillM - That was a stirring rendition of Elvis' classic ballad "Are You Lonesome Tonight".

Rickster - "I want to be a Blues Man" was some great blues. You da man!

LarryShone - "Something Calls Me" was very nice. I also somehow missed commenting on "Drink to Me Only" which was also nice. It's great to see and hear what you're up to on the piano. I notice you had a different piano 'mascot' for the performances - a frog and then what looks like a seal. It's nice to have a friendly face nearby when recording.

Here are my "emotional support" mascots that I got to help me with recording anxiety. They also come in handy for counting and keeping track of repetitions when I want to see if I can play a passage perfectly 5 times.

[Linked Image]

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
lilypad #3214642 05/07/22 02:26 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LarryShone - "Something Calls Me" was very nice. I also somehow missed commenting on "Drink to Me Only" which was also nice. It's great to see and hear what you're up to on the piano. I notice you had a different piano 'mascot' for the performances - a frog and then what looks like a seal. It's nice to have a friendly face nearby when recording.

Here are my "emotional support" mascots that I got to help me with recording anxiety. They also come in handy for counting and keeping track of repetitions when I want to see if I can play a passage perfectly 5 times.
Thanks Lilypad, it is an Otter from the gift shop at Chester Zoo

Here he is having a play at piano smile

chester the otter

Last edited by LarryShone; 05/07/22 02:28 PM.

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
LarryShone - Pretty cool Otter. My cat has played piano once or twice, but mostly she taps me on the leg to play with her instead of the piano. smile

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
keff #3214648 05/07/22 03:16 PM
I have a few turtles here. They are more in line with the pace of my playing. smile

lilypad #3214692 05/07/22 05:42 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LarryShone - Pretty cool Otter. My cat has played piano once or twice, but mostly she taps me on the leg to play with her instead of the piano. smile
My cat just jumped from the floor to the keys on my grand piano. HE HAS NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission