2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (80k, Alan F, Bett, belcanto89, anamnesis, anotherscott, 36251, 17 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I'm not a professional audio tech, but I want to record my performances on my Yamaha P515 using a VST. I want to record using Audacity installed on my tablet PC (which also houses my VST library with my P515 hooked in as a controller. Everything works great if I'm just using the onboard voices on the P515. But to use my VST, I have to switch LOCAL CONTROL to OFF on the MIDI section of the P515 system settings. But once I do that, Audacity no longer receives a signal and does not record my performance. Is there anyone out there who knows what settings if any I can use so I can do this? Computer is hooked to P515 with a midi to usb c (thunderbolt 4) connector

thanks

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Let me say first, I'm not a fan of recording VSTis with Audacity, not even sure it's possible. You can record as MIDI in a DAW like Reaper, and then run that MIDI file through any VST instrument you have, afterwards. There are some other DAWs or VSTi hosts, but I'm not familiar with any of them, like the Cantabile something, which many recommend.

It has it's advantages to record as MIDI first, because you can choose to render the MIDI file with any VST instrument of your choice, and even multiple times, each time with a different VST instrument. If you don't like doing it this way, I can't help you, but maybe somebody else can.

As a side note, some VST instruments allow you to record directly in their own interfaces, Pianoteq being the first that comes to (my) mind, but the same goes for the Garritan CFX. You didn't say which VST instruments you want to use, so if it's neither of these two, you may not be able to record them directly this way.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Cantabile Solo and Cantabile Performer allow very easy recording of audio and MIDI with any VSTi.
The free Cantabile Lite does not support this feature.

Last edited by VladK; 04/30/22 07:24 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
D
OP Offline
D
ok thank you both for your suggestions, I'll take a look at all methods/programs I can - not particularly married to Audacity - it's just the first one I got since it was free.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
What you should is record the P515's Midi output, and then "render" that Midi file with a VST.

The result of "rendering" is a .WAV file -- digitized audio -- which you can import into Audacity and edit as you please.

Pianoteq makes that easy. Any VST should let you do it, one way or another.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
D
OP Offline
D
so it turned out I was confusing the "local control" with the "audio loopback" functions on my P515 which are two different switches. I turned audio loopback to "on" and solved the issue.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
See https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Midi

Audacity cannot record MIDI input, only import and play MIDI files.

Then you can’t record your MIDI stream and feed it to your VST.

You should try the different proposed programs (Cantabile Solo, Reaper…)

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm probably misunderstanding something, and even many things, but the OP says the issue is solved. I take it that he can indeed record the audio output of his VST instrument(s) into Audacity.

As someone who doesn't enjoy the luxury of having a built-in audio interface in my digital piano, and using an external Focusrite 2i4, I'm curious as to how the audio interface of the P515 works. I have been considering the P515 as an option for a DP.

Can the P515 work out the audio from the VSTi and route it via LINE OUT to Audacity the same way, it does so for the built-in piano voices? Does it maybe have it's own mini DAW in the internal memory of the P515?

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
D
OP Offline
D
Yes the P515 has a built in audio interface. There are regular midi in/out ports and there is also a two way usb to midi port. I believe it is a type b usb. By having audio loopback set to “on” it allows sounds to be sent back to the pc simultaneously

M
M
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Can the P515 work out the audio from the VSTi and route it via LINE OUT to Audacity the same way, it does so for the built-in piano voices? Does it maybe have it's own mini DAW in the internal memory of the P515?

Yes. And maybe I am misunderstanding something also, but you can always record the incoming audio in the piano itself and then use the file as you please.
Not sure of what a mini DAW would be, but the P515 has a sixteen track recorder. A mini sequencer if you like

P-515
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That's what I would prefer, mydb, record to the piano's memory, and then copy the file(s) to my PC, or directly to a USB stick if that's possible. Though it's cool to be able to record straight to Audacity, even when using VSTis. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/01/22 09:09 PM.

Me on YouTube

M
M
Yes, you can record to a USB stick, or save the files to one, or convert midi to audio

P-515
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
True. The P-515 can store up to 250 user recordings (recorded in midi format). Not sure why the max is just 250 though. But I guess that 250 is adequate - maybe. Can always pull the files out using their software app.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bösendorfer 225 from the Chromatic Vortex
by James Gordon - 06/27/22 06:03 PM
Replacing fallboard decal
by Acceber - 06/27/22 03:44 PM
Your "Best Digital Piano" Opinion Requested
by IraBob - 06/27/22 02:18 PM
Yamaha rant
by WTF Bach - 06/27/22 01:58 PM
Crowdsourcing Fingerings and Solutions
by Papa D - 06/27/22 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,698
Posts3,203,783
Members105,659
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission