2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
JKess
If I remember correctly, the problem posted re the Spiro transfer involved access to the tablet which contains links to the available music. I just suggested you should work out the data transfer with Steinway.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by LarryK
Originally Posted by LarryK
What is sad is that people think that player pianos are pianos that are not meant to be listened to, that they’re just there for background music. I blame it on the hotel industry, I guess. Pianos are mechanical devices that are perfect for mechanical playback. The artists of old had no trouble recording and distributing music for player pianos and people had player pianos in their homes as home entertainment systems.

I suppose radio killed the player piano. Still, no piano on the radio, or any stereo speaker, ever sounds as good as a player piano, if the piano is tuned.

Larry, I don’t think that is true any longer. In fact, most Steinway Spiro are sold to non-players. They must be buying them because of the ability to actually listen to good music, produced with high quality.

How do you know most Steinways Spirios are sold to non-players? There is no way to verify your hypothesis. There can always be someone in the family that plays.

It’s nice that acoustic pianos are bought for any reason at all, and, yes, I expect the people who buy them appreciate the quality of the recordings.

Given the small market for player piano recordings, I wish all player systems would share their recordings, and by that I mean, sell them. I am more than willing to pay the recordings of Steinway artists to be played on my Disklavier, or my Disklavier Pro, if I ever get one of those.

How do I know about Spiro data? Who would ever buy one and identify themselves as a non-player? It’s bad enough to be mocked for ownin a player piano. I believe that was in the data Steinway released with the announcement of going public. I don’t believe you will see Steinway making their recordings available for anything but Steinway pianos.

I don’t believe the data identified buyers as players or non-players. Who would identify themselves as a non-player? It’s bad enough to be mocked for owning a player piano.

And, you’re right, Steinway won’t share.

The solenoid player systems trace back to the work done by the inventor Wayne Stahnke. He sold his latest company, Live Performance, to Steinway, and consulted for Yamaha before that. Yamaha has been refining the Disklavier since the 1980s.

http://pianosoftware.com/news/

Last edited by LarryK; 05/01/22 03:19 PM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
67% of Spiro buyers are non players—- from Steinway’s IPO info

https://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthr...-steinway-filed-for-ipo.html#Post3209658

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

I wonder how they know. Nobody asked me if I played when I bought my Disklavier.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for that statistic, @dogperson. It tells me there could be a latent market in that same population who might enjoy "house concerts", "private recitals", "Lieder Abends". Fellow players - how to reach that group and get them enjoying actual LIVE performances on their recording equipped Steinways?

Sorry for the diversion on this thread. Perhaps another on the topic is indicated.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Seeker #3213107 05/01/22 04:32 PM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Seeker

Thanks for that statistic, @dogperson. It tells me there could be a latent market in that same population who might enjoy "house concerts", "private recitals", "Lieder Abends". Fellow players - how to reach that group and get them enjoying actual LIVE performances on their recording equipped Steinways?

Sorry for the diversion on this thread. Perhaps another on the topic is indicated.

Perhaps an ad on CL, FB would yield some clients… even better would be advertising on a local symphony program. I do think there is a market

J
OP Offline
J
Seeker-

I spent my life in the music biz trenches and I have lots of serious musician friends. I have tried to talk some of my wealthy clientele who don't play (whether they have player systems or not) to think about the occasional party with a live band since they have a piano. The next door neighbor to my shop is the only one so far who has taken the opportunity and I was invited to the dinner as a thank you. After dinner everyone was up dancing and singing along and the homeowner has had three concert/dinners in his house and has had the best time.

People with pianos in their houses often have no idea how easy it can be to have a great musician come play in their home, which I had hoped would become a bigger side business for me, if only to see people enjoy music in their houses and see fine musicians have another source of revenue.

The take up has been slow.

B
BDB Offline
B
I agree that a live pianist trumps mechanics for almost everything.

Semipro Tech
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I forget the source, but someone from Steinway in New York said: "It takes months, years to complete the sale of a Steinway piano to a musician. With Spirio, we have had people walk in, and in 20 minutes they are writing a check."

Ed Sutton, RPT
Just an old retired piano tuner!
Durham NC USA
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by jkess114
Seeker-

I spent my life in the music biz trenches and I have lots of serious musician friends. I have tried to talk some of my wealthy clientele who don't play (whether they have player systems or not) to think about the occasional party with a live band since they have a piano. The next door neighbor to my shop is the only one so far who has taken the opportunity and I was invited to the dinner as a thank you. After dinner everyone was up dancing and singing along and the homeowner has had three concert/dinners in his house and has had the best time.

People with pianos in their houses often have no idea how easy it can be to have a great musician come play in their home, which I had hoped would become a bigger side business for me, if only to see people enjoy music in their houses and see fine musicians have another source of revenue.

The take up has been slow.

In these times of COVID, it is not easy at all to have a great musician come to one’s home. We don’t have parties, we don’t invite people over. I’m lucky to have a wonderful teacher who comes to my house to teach me, both of us masked up.

Before the pandemic, I went to many house concerts in New York City put on by Groupmuse. But, that’s New York, where you could yell on a street corner and find Juilliard grads.

An excellent live pianist beats a mechanical player piano, but the mechanical player beats my playing, and offers variety over what I play.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/02/22 08:58 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission