2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jackopiano
The Phantom is a serious piece of gear - nice recommendation

Did you mean Fantom? Not to be mixed (*) with phantom (48V power source for some condenser microphones) in the context of this thread. smile

(*) No pun intended, at first, but I changed my mind afterwards. smile

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
J
J
Roland Fantom doesn't have Phantom (power)...

The klark ct1 is about US$35 and it requires "Phantom powered socket" (48v).

Probably you can get away with it if you buy an external phantom power supply, for an extra let's say 50 bucks, but does it really worth it?!

This little lifter is new to the market. I thought about these solutions many years ago. I was thinking of getting a Rode M3 at one point. Then the cloudlifter...

I purchased a digital mixer in the end.

My son uses the ct1 (an alternative to the Cloudlifter) with his sm7b. works a treat, and online user reviews were consistently good last i checked (about 6 months ago)

Last edited by jackopiano; 04/21/22 06:34 AM.
J
J
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Originally Posted by jackopiano
The Phantom is a serious piece of gear - nice recommendation

Did you mean Fantom? Not to be mixed (*) with phantom (48V power source for some condenser microphones) in the context of this thread. smile

(*) No pun intended, at first, but I changed my mind afterwards. smile

you are correct - my bad

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Micah-
My main use for a keyboard is for music production through a DAW, I currently use a Yamaha YDP-V240 when I am using Keyscape or anything in terms of Piano software. And for more synth side of things I am using a Arturia Keylab Essential 88. I am not a huge fan of either but mostly the Yamaha-V240 due to its action. I also want something with build in sounds because I will be using it for practice and wont always wanna start up my computer to play. I was looking at things like the Kawai MP11SE as I have heard they are very good but am unsure if they are getting paid for those things on YouTube etc etc. What can you guys recommend that fits my range? My budget is no more than $4000 AUD. Thank ya'll

Micah.

Micah, as the OP to this thread that has gone where it has thus far, it may be constructive for you to review, perhaps further clarify or even reconsider or correct your priorities/goals, starting with the title “best keyboard for home music production”.

For instance, breaking down the title to 3 components “ keyboard - for home - casual or professional? music production “ might best help PW help you get whatever you really want.

Objectively, there is no best keyboard, at any price point, for any main use be it on any kind of stage or in any type of home environment no matter what any member says and no matter how loud they state what they say. Subjectively, there are numerous best keyboards that will meet your not-so-clearly-defined music-production wants & needs. You already have at least one - ydp240 which you possibly are not in love with - but you are already leaning towards a fairly high price range (4k) & well respected model (mp11se). Yes, MP11SE has a reputation as a fine, multi-use instrument and might serve your particular needs, but there is nothing unique to it’s capabilities that makes it best / better than any of many potential makes/models at or below or well below your budget.

It appears you already have some computer system/OS running one or more VSTs and this same system might be or already is your intended DAW running one or more DAW programs sounding locally on the computer’s sound system. Do you see yourself ultimately being a regular guy with a suitably small, home made production system with occasional karaoke sessions, or do you intend to be a Wakeman-like home producer with all manner of studio-grade gear littering your man cave? Others have insinuated you need to have studio-grade vocal accommodations …. maybe you intend to have Jon Anderson or the like gigging in your home on occasion. If you are leaning more towards occasional, simple vocal needs, there are fairly common, lower-end DPs with a built-in mic input not requiring 48VDC phantoms. Either way, the keyboard best for you must support MIDI , either conventional or USB or bluetooth, any one method of which will likely add connectivity requirements if/when you want the DAW to send the resultant midi/audio to somewhere outside your computer/OS/VST/DAW system …. over lineout or internal USB or external USB or bluetooth.

I suspect there are lots of gear options you can throw at this that have not yet been suggested that can equip you with a keyboard that has its own speakers or external monitors and has enough built-in sounds to satisfy you when not in a VST mood but also has connectivity features to satisfy whatever pro or amateur VST / DAW-based music production capabilities.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
M
Micah- Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi all, I ordered my MP11SE today. I now need to get some speakers and other things, though for the moment I have some cheaper ones I can use. The biggest priority is a stand. I'm really stuck on a price to spend on a stand, some are really ugly and won't work well in a bedroom. I want one that I can sit down at where my legs won't hit the stand (so one with the support on the sides and or back, not the middle like x-stands) and I want it to not wobble whatsoever. Thanks guys.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On the matter of a stand that might fit your preference, see the recent thread here -

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2971688/1/stand-for-kawai-mp11se.html

- in which member dhts provides a photo of a nice-looking setup.

Caveat - stands in general tend to lend to some wobbling 🙁

Last edited by drewr; 05/02/22 09:44 PM.

- Roland HP-508
M
Micah- Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you, but unfortunately this isn't available in Australia.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Unless you make your own stand - to your own specs/requirements - stands, in general, lend to some wobbling.

The room / floor, plays a part; carpeting especially contributes to wobbling.

- Roland HP-508
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Another option is to just head down to a furniture store, and getting a table of suitable dimension (such as Serrano Wood Computer Desk from Harvey Norman --- or pop down to OfficeWorks to see what they have - such as Contour Home Office Study 1400mm High Gloss Desk) - where you can just put the keyboard on top of the table, and then pull up an adjustable height chair or music stool.

M
Micah- Offline OP
OP Offline
M
So I've decided I'm gonna go with the konig and Meyer 18950. It won't get here til next week and the only other stand I have is an old x-stand, so I'm just gonna be looking at my Kawai for the next week without being able to open it, what a tease.

M
Micah- Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I currently have a HIFI system that plugs into my pc/audio interface via AUX cable. Is it possible them into the MP11SE, or am I just gonna need to use headphones until my HS5's arrive? Cheers

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do you know the make and model of your audio interface (AI)? The answer will likely determine if this AI has line-in ports that you can connect to the MP11 line-outs.

It will also help for you to clarify - the HiFi that is attached to the AI with an aux cable. Does it connect to a port on the AI that is labeled “aux” or is it a port on the HiFi labeled AUX that has some cable connected to an output of the AI? If you are already able to get sound out of your HiFi that originates somewhere in your PC/DAW/VST system, it may not be important to answer.

Last edited by drewr; 05/04/22 10:36 PM.

- Roland HP-508
M
Micah- Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It's a cheap nanoface, I believe brand is something like Alva and name is nanoface. I don't quite understand the HIFI question. The HIFI has a red and white cord that goes into the HIFI box and the red and white cord then connect into one cord which is an AUX. Which I then plug into my audio interface and get sound from my computer. Sorry if that didn't make sense.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
According to a on-line manual, the Nanoface does support multiple input and output devices, to include microphones as well as standard line-level gear, through the use of a proprietary breakout cable that may also require extension cables to reach between your devices and the breakout cable, as needed.

During those times you want to play the MP11’s sounds through the HiFi rather than playing VST sounds, you will need cables that connect to the MP11’s 1/4 inch outputs jacks on one end, and the other end must have the correct RCA plugs to mate with the line-input receptacles within the breakout cable.

Last edited by drewr; 05/05/22 02:16 AM.

- Roland HP-508
M
Micah- Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have HS5's on the way. Will I be able to switch between my VST and the MP11 built in sounds fairly quickly?

M
Micah- Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Can I just plug my AUX cord into the MP11SE headphone jack? I have the needed connector.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Based upon an earlier piece of information -

Originally Posted by Micah-
I currently have a HIFI system that plugs into my pc/audio interface via AUX cable…..

- the important details of this AUX cable were not clear to me , but now that a little more info has leaked out, it is apparent you have somehow been using the AUX cable plugged into one or two (red & white) of the RCA receptacles on your AI breakout cable, with the other end, also red & white, plugged into your HiFi and this was or is sufficient for you to hear your PC/sound system through the HiFi …. yes?

Based on all of your posts to this project, the thought occurred to me that maybe you are not very experienced or comfortable with setting up , then rearranging, and subsequently using these kinds of audio connections/gear. If there is some truth to this, and if i were you, i would probably leave your cabling connections as they are while trying to be patient with listening to your new MP11 by way of a typical headphone connection, and leave this AUX cable arrangement the way it is. Once your new monitors arrive, you can plug them directly into your MP11 without the need to disturb the PC/AI/AUX cable arrangement, and you can quickly play the MP11 sounds. If and when you are ready to get the MP11 playing VSTs, you will be able to do that relatively quickly by pressing the Local Off button on the MP11 AND determining how to connect/cable MIDI from your MP11 into your PC …. which might (operative word) might be as simple as plugging the USB “to host” port of the MP11 to a port on your USB Host which is also known as PC.

Last edited by drewr; 05/05/22 10:51 AM.

- Roland HP-508
M
Micah- Offline OP
OP Offline
M
How do I plug my speakers (HS5) into my keyboard and my PC at the same time? So that I can switch over quickly. Im guessing this requires some kind of AI that is a notch higher than mine, but im upgrading soon anyway so this shouldnt be a problem then.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Maybe a 'audio selector' box having suitable sockets ----- (or audio adaptor connectors could be used to connect to the audio selector box if the plugs aren't immediately compatible).

M
Micah- Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I managed to get a stand for my MP11SE, I am loving everything about it, for sure the best keyboard ive ever played. My one issue is that it gets covered in fingerprints so easy. I find myself cleaning it every 5 minutes.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission