2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (clothearednincompo, AJB, aguia77, Burkhard, aliaksej, Dfrankjazz, CharlesXX, bxrdad1, Animisha, 11 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Q
Q
Originally Posted by dhts
Do you mean left to right as you sit at the keyboard? Just wobbled mine having had it for 18months and daily usage and yes there’s some movement but I’ve never once noticed until today.
Yes, exactly, side-to-side motion. I’m quite sensitive to the keys moving in my vision and it may give me motion sickness. I don’t know if the wobble in mine is due to the light keyboard on there, unevenness of the floor or something else.

Q
Q
Also @dhts and @Mickey, what is the length of the exposed chrome tubing when the stand is correctly extended to fit the MP11SE correctly? It’d be useful to set it up ready so I can pop it straight on after unboxing rather than having to fiddle with it.

Last edited by Quatschmacher; 07/12/21 07:02 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by Quatschmacher
Also @dhts and @Mickey, what is the length of the exposed chrome tubing when the stand is correctly extended to fit the MP11SE correctly? It’d be useful to set it up ready so I can pop it straight on after unboxing rather than having to fiddle with it.

That’s what I call planning ahead. 38.6cm.

Q
Q
Originally Posted by dhts

That’s what I call planning ahead. 38.6cm.
Thank you!

It’s a bit frustrating - I’ve had the thing in my house for about ten days now but there’s no way I can lift this alone.

Last edited by Quatschmacher; 07/13/21 07:11 AM.
J
J
....does the LG-800 stand exhibit any lateral motion when the MP11SE is on it? I just got that stand at the weekend and it has loads of lateral motion when my 10kg synth is on it at 1m width. Haven’t had chance to unbox the MP11SE yet as I am waiting for someone to help me carry it upstairs. Just wondering if the added weight helps to keep it from bouncing around. It’ll make me seasick if it moves like it does currently.

Such a shame there is no dedicated stand for these. @Kawai James, if there’s ever a successor to the MP11SE, please could you ask the designers to create a stable dedicated stand/stage legs.

Sorry to post on a 9-month old thread, but this thread was one that I used when making purchasing decisions about a stand for my MP11SE, I can imagine others doing the same in the future.

For me (and I'm no Jerry Lee Lewis, in terms of pounding the piano hard), the MP11SE + LG-800 combination is noticeably wobbly. Not to the point where I think the keyboard is going to sail off the stand and crash to the floor, but enough to distract me as I practice.

I like the looks and functionality (in terms of ease of assembly) of the Yamaha stand, and I'll probably try to figure out some way to anchor the upper portion of it to the wall behind it to reduce the lateral motion. Or maybe look for some other fix.

If I were buying today, based on my experience, I'd probably take a chance on the K&M 18950, even though I don't like the fact that it's not the full width of the keyboard, and that it looks like something you'd see in a woodworking shop holding up a table saw.

Q
Q
Originally Posted by JP Thomas
....does the LG-800 stand exhibit any lateral motion when the MP11SE is on it? I just got that stand at the weekend and it has loads of lateral motion when my 10kg synth is on it at 1m width. Haven’t had chance to unbox the MP11SE yet as I am waiting for someone to help me carry it upstairs. Just wondering if the added weight helps to keep it from bouncing around. It’ll make me seasick if it moves like it does currently.

Such a shame there is no dedicated stand for these. @Kawai James, if there’s ever a successor to the MP11SE, please could you ask the designers to create a stable dedicated stand/stage legs.

Sorry to post on a 9-month old thread, but this thread was one that I used when making purchasing decisions about a stand for my MP11SE, I can imagine others doing the same in the future.

For me (and I'm no Jerry Lee Lewis, in terms of pounding the piano hard), the MP11SE + LG-800 combination is noticeably wobbly. Not to the point where I think the keyboard is going to sail off the stand and crash to the floor, but enough to distract me as I practice.

I like the looks and functionality (in terms of ease of assembly) of the Yamaha stand, and I'll probably try to figure out some way to anchor the upper portion of it to the wall behind it to reduce the lateral motion. Or maybe look for some other fix.

If I were buying today, based on my experience, I'd probably take a chance on the K&M 18950, even though I don't like the fact that it's not the full width of the keyboard, and that it looks like something you'd see in a woodworking shop holding up a table saw.

It could really do with some cross-braces like most stage-piano legs.

I bought the On-Stage KS360 Heavy Duty Folding-Z Keyboard Stand for my MP11SE and I'm happy with its stability.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
J
J
To follow up, I ended up using some plumbing hardware to fasten the Yamaha LG-800 stand into the wall. Not the most elegant or convenient solution, but cheap and effective. The lateral motion seems to be gone, based on a quick test.

EDIT: The embedded image links below aren't working for some reason, so you'll have to click through to see the photos.

[img]http://photos.app.goo.gl/bq9xkhCUv5ioDHb36[/img]

[img]http://photos.app.goo.gl/J5JYiQPjXVLwVu3Q9[/img]

As to the K&M 18950, I found a video online of a keyboard stand that looks to be of a very similar design, the Stagg MXS - A1 (a much cheaper stand actually, probably due to manufacturing costs in Germany vs. China, and possibly to higher quality materials or engineering with K&M), and the video shows the stand in action with a keyboard that is comparable in weight to the MP11SE. The design seems quite stable out of the box.

The Z stand design looks good too, though I had trouble finding any video that showed it being put to the stability test.

Last edited by JP Thomas; 05/05/22 08:35 PM. Reason: Explaining that image embedding not working as expected for this post
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I made my own stand for my ES920 using standard 2" lumber. Not high end furniture but very sturdy, inexpensive and you can tailor the height and color for your preference. Not portable.

[Linked Image]

J
J
Originally Posted by TBell
I made my own stand for my ES920 using standard 2" lumber. Not high end furniture but very sturdy, inexpensive and you can tailor the height and color for your preference. Not portable.

That looks like it gets the job done! If I had a workspace and the woodworking tools, I might have gone that route myself.

One final comment on commercial stands, the Stagg MXS - A1 stand I mentioned above gets pretty mediocre reviews on Amazon in terms of build quality. Maybe you get what you pay for, vis-a-vis Stagg vs. the German-made K&M 18950.

My main takeaway from all this is that the Yamaha LG-800 stand is relatively elegant, which isn't nothing, but functionally inadequate for a heavy keyboard like the MP11SE, and the Yamaha's price is ridiculous when you take all this into account. Live and learn.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just as a crazy idea, I found this thing by accident:

Dutchgrand

Here is the list of compatible stage pianos:

https://dutchgrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/compatible-models.pdf

Disadvantages: it is rather expensive, you cannot open the lid, you cannot attach the pedal device.

M
M
Another crazy idea: build one yourself.
I made a MP11 stand from a 5 cm x 5 cm x 6 m square tubing and caster wheels plus some soldering. I am on travel now, so I can't post a real image of the stand. Anyway, as I designed the stand on tinkercad, I can share it in some way (kind of).
With the dimensions provided in the images, the keys of the MP11 are at the same height as CL35's. I don't know if this would fit to an MP11SE because in the SE edition of the piano Kawai could have moved the rubber feet, and perhaps caster wheels are no standard in their size. The ones I used have the top square plate of 50 mm x 50 mm. If the stand is painted and appropiate square inserts are added, it looks decent (not as good as a professional one, but it has wheels...)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Marcos Daniel; 05/09/22 05:33 PM.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Marcos Daniel~

Is that TinkerCAD? I’ve used that but moved on to Fusion 360.

I bet you could 3D print all those parts but it would take FOREVER!!!!!

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
Another crazy idea: build one yourself.
I made a MP11 stand from a 5 cm x 5 cm x 6 m square tubing and caster wheels plus some soldering. I am on travel now, so I can't post a real image of the stand. Anyway, as I designed the stand on tinkercad, I can share it in some way (kind of).
With the dimensions provided in the images, the keys of the MP11 are at the same height as CL35's. I don't know if this would fit to an MP11SE because in the SE edition of the piano Kawai could have moved the rubber feet, and perhaps caster wheels are no standard in their size. The ones I used have the top square plate of 50 mm x 50 mm. If the stand is painted and appropiate square inserts are added, it looks decent (not as good as a professional one, but it has wheels...)

You don't need to cut steel to make that. Just use aluminum extrusions:

[Linked Image]

Much easier to cut!

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
N
N
Indeed, after trying a highly-rated but wobbly Z-stand, I didn't want to risk ordering another dud, and decided to the DIY route for as cheap as I could while still making it look somewhat like a piece of furniture and sturdy. My DIY skills are very minimal, so maybe this can work for someone else too.

Living in a tiny Brooklyn apartment I didn't want something too visually intrusive (the MP11SE is big enough as it is), so I wanted to channel something a bit like a Rhodes with thin legs but maybe a little more unique.

So I basically decided to find a slab of wood that would be sturdy but thin enough to fit cleanly under the MP11SE such that it wasn't visible most angles, and add four hairpin legs to it.

My neighbor happened to have a ~40x18x0.75" slab of birch plywood, and I ordered these 24-inch "golden" hairpin legs which seemed sturdy enough. There are other colors, and the gold is really more of a glittery dark yellow, so in hindsight I might've gotten black or silver, but I still like the contrast.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I need to tidy up a little more, but honestly, I'm super happy with how it turned out. This isn't the aesthetic everyone is going for, but I like it. The key height ended up at a perfect 28.5" too; the table rests on the base of the MP11SE rather than the rubber feet. From the base (not including the feet) to the top of the keys is roughly 3.5 inches. If you don't like hairpin legs, there are plenty of other styles out there.

Once I got all the parts, it took me about 20 minutes to assemble. Note that there is still a little wobble -- much less than the Z-stand, let alone an X stand -- but pushing it up against the wall solved that. If it were fully free standing, I might add some cross bracing.

As a surprise bonus, if push the keyboard forward a couple of inches, there's a bit of a 'lip' on the table I can use for cable management, so it helps keep the VST setup cleaner. Since the MP11SE is up against a wall, this lip isn't visible.

Anyway, just an alternative to consider. It's barely any more effort than assembling a regular stand =].

Last edited by napilopez; 05/10/22 11:59 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Damper noise
by TimM_980 - 06/29/22 12:03 AM
Czerny availablility in large print?
by geopianoincanada - 06/28/22 11:53 PM
Wound bass strings all the way to C4
by TimM_980 - 06/28/22 11:44 PM
Alternatives to MainStage for Live Performances?
by Gord Webster - 06/28/22 11:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,720
Posts3,204,070
Members105,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission