2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (bluebilly, axomas, anamnesis, anotherscott, David B, bwv543, Dfrankjazz, DaveCSparty, 6 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a lovely, lovely instrument! Congratulations! It sounds wonderful and seems to be pretty much in tune. I know what it is to have a piano that makes you dream.

August Förster 215
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by AaronSF
What a lovely, lovely instrument! Congratulations! It sounds wonderful and seems to be pretty much in tune. I know what it is to have a piano that makes you dream.

Thanks so much! Dreams, visions, inspirations…all flow so much more easily from an instrument the more you can connect with it.

Last edited by chromaticvortex; 04/28/22 10:42 PM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by chromaticvortex
Yeah, that'd be interesting to know the weighting. I should get some of those key weights myself so I can compare.

Sorry about the delay. Here's what I have:

C0: 51g
[Linked Image]

Middle C: 46g
[Linked Image]

C8: 43g
[Linked Image]

This is with the weights at the edge of the white keys, damper pedal depressed, and tapping the bottom of the keybed gently/repeatedly to encourage the weight to drop, down to the letoff. I think C0 could be a gram or two lighter, this was just a quick take.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
C
OP Offline
C
Nice! I’ll have to buy some of those. More pics of the piano.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
I've been meaning to get a nice set of weights. thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Speaking of "nice set of weights," if anyone has a brand to recommend (and where to buy them), I'd appreciate it. I looked on Amazon, but found nothing that had consistently great recommendations. Seems like most of the ones there have problems with consistency of the weights (poor quality control).

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I ordered mine from Howard Piano Industries. They're brass and quite well made. How accurate are they? Who knows, do you trust the weights or your scale? smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piano!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I ordered mine from Howard Piano Industries. They're brass and quite well made. How accurate are they? Who knows, do you trust the weights or your scale? smile

Thank you. I'll look into these.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

You need

Weights you can trust.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for comments and suggestions. Key Weights

These look fine. $50 though. Can't I do better? Surely someone has some for like $10. Seems like a lot for some brass.

Okay here we go: https://www.howardpianoindustries.com/gram-weights-brass/

Directly from Howard, they're $30. Not bad.

Last edited by chromaticvortex; 05/04/22 05:57 PM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
People also use stacks of pennies or nickels. You just have to have a scale to weigh them (and maybe for the cost of the scale, you could have gotten the brass weights laugh )

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
People also use stacks of pennies or nickels. You just have to have a scale to weigh them (and maybe for the cost of the scale, you could have gotten the brass weights laugh )

I have used Pennies and nickels to measure, assigning a weight of 2.5 gm and 5.0 gm, respectively

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
N
N

C
OP Offline
C
I got together some coins and stuff. On my 225, C8 seems like about 50g. I'll have to find some more coins to get enough to weigh lower down the keyboard.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I’m going to do the coin thing but I can’t seem to find any coins lol.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Also, sorry I’m late to the party!! Beautiful piano.

Adjustable bench?
Squeaky bench may be part rubbing (from experience Lol)
Maybe even legs aren’t tight or something?

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks!

Of course it's hard to describe the touch of this piano. I've read that Bosendorfer has a faster action than Steinway (sometimes increasing the appeal for jazz players). Maybe someone else can chime in and share what they know about that. From a recent article I read, a Steinway has a very fast action, but not as fast as Bosendorfer, making Steinway more ideal for Classical, because it's easier to control during fast passages. Meanwhile, the Bosendorfer action is faster, making it a little harder to control for fast passages, but more suitable for jazz.

I'm still not sure how to interpret the meaning of all this. But to the degree that I'm a Classical player, Bosendorfer is much to my liking -- and also to the extent that I'm a jazz player. But I do notice the faster action, and I can see how in some ways it's harder to control but also has its advantages (compared e.g. to a Steinway). Maybe the advantage is that you instantly get sound out of it upon attack -- but it gives you very strong feedback for little input? One thing I noticed was that it's extremely responsive to what you do to it. A little change gives a big result in output, so I've done a lot of practicing soft and smoothly, I think this instrument really benefits from that kind of attentive playing. It requires a fairly sculpted approach to technique and sound production in some ways (not sure quite how to put this into words).

Here's another feeble attempt by me to capture the tonal possibilities of this instrument through improvisatory experimentation. I swapped out the noisy bench for a slightly less noisy one (that still creaks). Surely there's some tightening or adjusting I can do to cut down on that. Still the microphone isn't the best (it's just a single mic, I think ideally you get two, but it is what it is), and I'm waiting to hear from the technician about tuning, etc. Thanks for checking it out.

Last edited by chromaticvortex; 05/05/22 03:42 PM.
Online Content
From a recent article I read, a Steinway has a very fast action, but not as fast as Bosendorfer, making Steinway more ideal for Classical, because it's easier to control during fast passages. Meanwhile, the Bosendorfer action is faster, making it a little harder to control for fast passages, but more suitable for jazz.
I think that article makes little sense. For starters, although many parameters of an action can and have been measured, I've never heard of anyone ever mentioning the speed of an action. But more importantly, isn't control as important for jazz pianists as for classical pianists? And don't classical pianists have to play passages that are equally fast as jazz pianists?

Where did you read the article you mention?

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
From a recent article I read, a Steinway has a very fast action, but not as fast as Bosendorfer, making Steinway more ideal for Classical, because it's easier to control during fast passages. Meanwhile, the Bosendorfer action is faster, making it a little harder to control for fast passages, but more suitable for jazz.
I think that article makes little sense. For starters, although many parameters of an action can and have been measured, I've never heard of anyone ever mentioning the speed of an action. But more importantly, isn't control as important for jazz pianists as for classical pianists? And don't classical pianists have to play passages that are equally fast as jazz pianists?

Where did you read the article you mention?

Steinway patented their accelerated action in 1930 (marketed as a faster version of their older action). It consisted of the following two patents: the shape of the balance rail (where the keys rest on) and the place where the keys are weighted. It doesn't have to do with the action parts themselves. But the action is known for being faster due to its design, apparently. I've heard action speed discussed a fair bit, fwiw.

The article I mentioned is this one: https://msteinert.com/blog/steinway-vs-bosendorfer-which-is-the-better-piano-for-me/

Interestingly, it's a rather biased article from a shop that sells Steinways (and not Bosendorfers), and ultimately the message is that Steinway is the better brand. But, I think it does an okay job of talking about some objective comparisons between the pianos as well.

As for this theory about faster action being preferred by jazz pianists? I don't think it's about the speed of the passages being played (both genres play fast passages). I think it's about the control that is needed. I.e. jazz pianists might not need as much control? Maybe that's right.

Because classical musicians cannot afford to lose control when playing (this would equate to messing up) whereas for a jazz pianist, where so much is improvised, some relative loss of control might be more acceptable if it means that something is gained in terms of being able to express quickly and easily on the spot.

I can attest to the fact that Bosendorfer can easily give a bright/brilliant tone in the treble, which jazz musicians are known to like as well...

But maybe some of this is genuinely BS. That's one reason I'm curious to discuss it. I'm interested in what the differences are between pianos and why people prefer certain things, etc. It's intriguing to me.

Here's another article (where action speed is mentioned for each piano): https://www.musicindustryhowto.com/steinway-vs-bosendorfer/

Last edited by chromaticvortex; 05/05/22 07:34 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Damper noise
by TimM_980 - 06/29/22 12:03 AM
Czerny availablility in large print?
by geopianoincanada - 06/28/22 11:53 PM
Wound bass strings all the way to C4
by TimM_980 - 06/28/22 11:44 PM
Alternatives to MainStage for Live Performances?
by Gord Webster - 06/28/22 11:29 PM
MSRPs, Margins, Price Matching, DP Retailers
by bob@pei - 06/28/22 10:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,718
Posts3,204,044
Members105,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission