2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (Bruce In Philly, Alex Hutor, 36251, Bob Fadi, clothearednincompo, BMKE, brennbaer, B3boy, 13 invisible), 1,045 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JasonD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi, I'm looking for a practice piano at home. I have a grand piano already, but needed something to practice on in evenings that won't wake up the whole house smile

I was all set to purchase a CA79, after trying out all the Kawai CA models at my local dealer, but when I came back the next week, the prices had jumped up... currently, my local dealer is asking $5899 ($6400 with sales tax). The CA49 is the only option still in my budget, although even that one jumped up in price quite a bit too, and the action was definitely not as nice as the other models. I haven't seen any used models popup on the west coast in the past couple months either, except for one CA79 that I got outbid on. All the dealers I've tried calling in other states have said they're not able to ship the Kawai digital pianos.

I've also tried the Yamaha digital pianos, but was really not a fan of the action.

Any other options that I have (new or used), in the $3-5k range? Would love to find something this summer before I start taking lessons again. Thanks!

H
H
If you was opted for a CA79, a used CA78 is maybe a option

Casio AP250 - Kawai CN24 - Kawai CA65 - Kawai CA67- Roland FP30 - Roland FP7X
Ubu Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
As you already have an acoustic piano and you will only use the digital for practicing at quiet hours i think you should lower your budget and go for something more entry level. I think your best option is kawai es 110.

A
A
Yamaha p515. With frame and triple pedal, it is a great practice instrument. I also have a Yamaha Nu1x but prob above your budget.

Last edited by APianistHasNoName; 05/06/22 05:27 PM.

Working on:
Bach Italian Concerto
Chopin Nocturne Op 48 No1
Ravel Jeux D’eau

Practicing on:
Yamaha NU1X
Yamaha P-515

Playing on:
C. Bechstein Concert A192

Old Flames:
1987 Yamaha C2
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
J
JasonD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yeah, the Yamaha Avantgrand or Kawai Novus pianos look great, but way more than what I want to spend (and ideally, I'd like something with a smaller footprint and easier to move).

How do the portable models (like ES-110 or P-515) compare to the non-portable entry level models, like Kawai CN29 or Yamaha CLP series? I tried the CLP-745 and 785, and really did not like the action (felt a bit heavy, not very nuanced or responsive), I definitely preferred the CA49. I haven't had the opportunity to try the P-515 but is it better than the CLP series in that regard? Also curious about the Kawai ES or CN series, relative to the CA49. The CA49 is within my budget (just barely), so that might be the best option for me, just wish it was still at the $2299 price I was quoted last month.

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
The best bet is to hop down to the music store, or various music stores to actually see what is available there - on display - and for trying out.

That's only because just mentioning models isn't going to help if you're after particular features - including touch/feel/behaviour of the key mechanism. That is - you're the only one that can make the decision - by heading to the store to try-before-buying. And each brand site has a list of the available models of the sort of instrument you're after ------ as in model names. And they will obviously have spec sheets - such as dimensions etc. And there will usually be a whole bunch of reviews online as well - as in light touch, heavy touch, responsiveness etc.

J
JasonD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I've been to the local Kawai and Yamaha dealers, due to chip shortages there's a lot of models they don't have on the floor. But I was able to spend quite a bit of time with the CA49, 59, 99, and the Yamaha CLP-745 and 785. I went to the local Guitar Center, and they didn't have any Kawai models on the floor, they did have Yamaha (the P-125 but not the P-515). Based on my experience, the CA49 is in a whole 'nother league above the P-125. I think with the P-125, I'd definitely be yearning for a lot more. These are all the models I've been able to try so far.

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for mentioning the chip shortage. I got a surprise this morning when my sis told me that car dealerships are having issues too - with getting new cars. They're facing the same issue ----- chip shortage, so the cars being manufactured can't get completed in time. So car customers are waiting a few months, or even 6 months or more for their ordered car. The crazy covid issue plus other stuff going on is really messing up lots of things.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
TESLA:

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I'm not convinced the GF3, GFC are better than RHC. they're slightly easier to play at the very top 1/5 of the key which isn't used often if at all. the rhc also plays extremely evenly whereas the gf3/c behaved like a piano that needed regulation.

J
JasonD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The RHC are the ES520 and KDP series pianos, correct? Unfortunately, I don't think anywhere in my area has those available to try out. Kind of unfortunate.

C
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
C
I think a Kawai MP11/ MP11Se would be well within your budget. Sweetwater has it for $3,500 US.

It doesn't have any loudspeakers or power amps -- but you'd presumably be using headphones, so that wouldn't be a problem. It _does_ have a good action, and good piano sounds built in:

. . . It would truly be a "silent piano".

Even after adding the cost of an adequate stand, you'd be well within budget.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
+1 for the MP11SE.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
M
M
I would also say the MP11SE.

A
A
Originally Posted by KawaFanboi
they're slightly easier to play at the very top 1/5 of the key which isn't used often if at all.
Not used by whom? This is nonsense that only a beginner would write. You don't use black keys? I do. I play very often in the deepest part of the keys, and clearly feel this disadvantage of keyboards with short-pivot keys.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kawai. I like the ES110

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm not convinced the GF3, GFC are better than RHC.

Crucially, I expect customers of instruments that utilise GFIII and GFC actions may not share your opinion.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Crucially, I expect customers of instruments that utilise GFIII and GFC actions may not share your opinion.

From extensive hands-on testing only a few days ago, according to my taste and preference, I'd say:

Apart from the Millenium actions in NV5(S) and NV10(S), the Grand Feel III clearly tops all other Kawai actions. I found it a nice tie with Casio/Bechstein's wooden GP action, if I were to choose between the two I'd have a hard time deciding. It is also a significant improvement over the original Grand Feel as found in the MP11SE.

I wasn't convinced by Grand Feel Compact much, which surprised me. I had expected to like it more than I actually did. Again, gauging from personal preference.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Kawai James

With respect Kawai James,

When I demoed all of these actions, prior to selecting RHC, the units clearly had uneven letoff bumps, some there, some missing, the same with RH3 in the 920. the gf3 and c also exhibited odd responses on some keys, some louder/ softer than expected. could it be because these were demo units and required calibration of sorts, yes, but this is where I felt they behaved like pianos that needed regulation. Ontop of this unevenness the keys were slower to rebound, I can't see this affecting general use, but it was noticeable. later on upon researching the vpc1, I stumbled across a modartt's thread on uneven midi velocities in kawai's wood actions. This semi confirmed what I felt in the field, but I concede that it's not 100%, the units I demoed and discussed in that thread could be flukes.

James have you seen that thread? have you heard about the uneven midi problem in your support chain ?

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 05/07/22 09:22 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering question regarding middle C
by Alex442 - 08/18/22 07:29 AM
Noise when Jack hits Hammer butt
by CoffeeBreak - 08/17/22 11:09 PM
Kohler & Campbell Serial Numbers
by Dave_Toona - 08/17/22 10:20 PM
Young Chang U-121
by Joseph Fleetwood - 08/17/22 07:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,450
Posts3,217,279
Members106,112
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission