2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (AJB, bobrunyan, Calikokat, Bruce In Philly, Carey, 36251, Calavera, 16 invisible), 545 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sam S Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Recital #66 is now open for submissions!

Ready to submit your performance? Go here: recitals.pianoworld.com

Deadline: 9:00 PM US EASTERN TIME on May 14th, 2022.

This is a quarterly recital, which means performances may be at any level, in any style or genre, as long as it is piano related.

New to the recitals? Read on:
The recital will be posted sometime after the recital closes, which means that submissions must be in by 9:00 PM US Eastern Time, May 14th. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

Editing or digital alteration of your performance (other than minor edits such as trimming long silences at the end or beginning of the piece) is counter to the 'live recital' spirit of the AB Forum Recital and is thus strongly discouraged. In any event, any editing should be disclosed in the "additional information" section of the recital submission template.

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you're on your first Alfred's method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you.

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. Videos are optional, and must be hosted elsewhere - you will supply the link.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

Submitting Your Recording:

You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to: recitals.pianoworld.com

and follow the instructions there. Please note that the software does not cope well with international characters, so please convert any such characters to standard American characters. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me (Sam S). If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, I strongly encourage you to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you'd like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 PM US EASTERN TIME on May 14th, 2022.

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should you have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, do not hesitate to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other member's problems.

Looking forward to hearing the recital!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Sam S Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
12 hours in and we are off to a good start. Don't miss out!

Recital #66 is scheduled for Saturday, May 14, 2022 and is now open for submissions!

The submission deadline is Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 21:00 Eastern (US) time.

There are currently 11 submitted pieces.

1. Calavera - Forever Rachel (Uematsu, Nobuo)
2. MarieJ - Luminous (Ludovico Einaudi)
3. Sam S - Idyll (Eugene Bozza)
4. QuentinP - WTK1 Fugue 1 C major (Bach)
5. briangmoore - Chanson (Nancy Faber)
6. pianist685 (Constantin) - She's a lady (Richard Sanderson)
7. peterws - Summertime Ended (Gershwin, savagely adapted by me. Sorry guys. . . .)
8. stevedoz - Danzas argentinas Op. 2, no 2, Danza de la moza donosa (Alberto Ginastera)
9. AndresVel - Sonata No. 16 in C major, KV 545 (W. A. Mozart)
10. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata in E Major K 380 (Scarlatti)
11. Peyton - Etude #2 (Philip Glass)

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
12 hours in and we are off to a good start. Don't miss out!

Recital #66 is scheduled for Saturday, May 14, 2022 and is now open for submissions!

There are currently 11 submitted pieces.

7. peterws - Summertime Ended (Gershwin, savagely adapted by me. Sorry guys. . . .)
8. stevedoz - Danzas argentinas Op. 2, no 2, Danza de la moza donosa (Alberto Ginastera)
9. AndresVel - Sonata No. 16 in C major, KV 545 (W. A. Mozart)
10. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata in E Major K 380 (Scarlatti)
11. Peyton - Etude #2 (Philip Glass)

Sam

Hi Sam,

I just submitted an original composition/song to the #66 Recital. The title of the song is "Heart of Georgia Boogie", and I wrote/recorded it about 10 or so years ago. This one is more in sync with my usual boogie and blues repertoire, but I do still have some contemporary surprises remaining, for better or worse. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Sam S Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A little over a week left to get your submissions in!

There are currently 19 submitted pieces.

7. stevedoz - Danzas argentinas Op. 2, no 2, Danza de la moza donosa (Alberto Ginastera)
8. AndresVel - Sonata No. 16 in C major, KV 545 (W. A. Mozart)
9. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata in E Major K 380 (Scarlatti)
10. Peyton - Etude #2 (Philip Glass)
11. Rickster - "Heart of Georgia Boogie" (Ricky Henson (AKA Rickster))
12. Ted Jones - The Fourth Ace (Ted Jones)
13. peterws - Summertime Ended (Gershwin, savagely adapted by me. Sorry guys. . . .)
14. facdo - Elegie Op.3 No.1 (Rachmaninoff)
15. Serge88 - Ballade pour Adeline (Richard Clayderman)
16. QuasiUnaFantasia - Fantasie in G major (Bruckner, A.)
17. thepianoplayer416 - Sonatina in G (Anh. 5) (L. van Beethoven)
18. Ido - Waltz Op.70 No.3 (Chopin)
19. lilypad - Nightfall (N. Faber)

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
F
F
And for this recital I left the comfort of classical pieces most people never heard to 21st century game-music smile

Sam S Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
And for this recital I left the comfort of classical pieces most people never heard to 21st century game-music smile

You mean 21st century game-music I have never heard? I've never recognized any of the game-music played in any of the recitals. Showing my age I guess. I can't remember the last time I played a computer game - maybe pac-man at a mall arcade back in the early 1980s?

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
F
F
Oh sorry. No 20th century. It's from the 80s hahaha. So sorry...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I was there at the start; ping-pong, space invaders, Sinclair ZX Spectrum . . .and Super Mario was great! . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Due to time constraints, submitted a common piece. Tried to do a good job learning it. Otherwise nothing spectacular.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by peterws
I was there at the start; ping-pong, space invaders, Sinclair ZX Spectrum . . .and Super Mario was great! . . . .

I used to have a lot of fun with Amigas thirty years ago, they were ahead of their time and a joy to program. Once the tricks were learned, blitter, copper and so on, you could make them do spectacular things in video, music and sound. Pity Commodore botched it all up. Access to their power was made a lot easier once two local Auckland boys created the Blitz compiler. If things ran a bit slowly you could write all the inner loops in machine code and speed them up. I've written a few algorithmic art and music things since on the Mac and I play the odd game but the romance of those early days has gone and I'd rather create and play piano music. I don't suppose being a programmer for thirty years in manufacturing helped me to keep the magic alive.

Anyway, back to the reality of recital 66.

Last edited by Ted; 05/08/22 03:28 AM.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Ted

I used to have a lot of fun with Amigas thirty years ago, they were ahead of their time and a joy to program. Once the tricks were learned, blitter, copper and so on, you could make them do spectacular things in video, music and sound. Pity Commodore botched it all up. Access to their power was made a lot easier once two local Auckland boys created the Blitz compiler. If things ran a bit slowly you could write all the inner loops in machine code and speed them up. I've written a few algorithmic art and music things since on the Mac and I play the odd game but the romance of those early days has gone and I'd rather create and play piano music. I don't suppose being a programmer for thirty years in manufacturing helped me to keep the magic alive.

That sounds fantastic! I'm always a bit jealous of those who were around in the early days of computers. The machines were simpler then and more transparent, and it must have felt like you could code an entire complex program on one if you wanted to! Nowadays, you need a team to do anything substantial as the industry has evolved.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ranjit
Originally Posted by Ted

That sounds fantastic! I'm always a bit jealous of those who were around in the early days of computers. The machines were simpler then and more transparent, and it must have felt like you could code an entire complex program on one if you wanted to! Nowadays, you need a team to do anything substantial as the industry has evolved.

You can still do things from the ground up on your own computer, of course, but in the professional world everything is pretty rigidly structured. At work forty years ago, being the sole computer person for a large company, I could more or less write and modify as I saw fit and try new things all the time. If it crashed I just restored and restarted. I always used dummy (copied) files of course and in forty years I only caused one live failure, a record I am rather proud of in retrospect. I had returned to work too soon after a general anaesthetic and didn't realised it would affect the brain for a few days. Fortunately everyone saw the joke. My son is a software developer, needed two degrees and is restricted by an incredible heft of rules and security. I had no degrees or training at all, just taught myself in several languages by staying after work and making mistakes, absolutely unthinkable these days.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Sam S Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
The first programming job I got paid for was writing assembly code for a Motorola 6809 8 bit processor. 1984. I was actually an electronics technician for a research lab that had Data General mainframe computers and disk drives the size of washing machines. If I remember correctly they only held 10 meg of data on big platters. The users all had dumb terminals, and the 6809s were for switching the serial data. They hired me to help move the lab to PCs on desktops, which took a few years - the IBM PC had just come out, but they couldn't afford them, so I built up a bunch of clones. Times have changed...

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And now you can issue commands in a natural language and the code will be written for you. I took a Natural Language Processing class last year, at which time Github Copilot was released. It was pretty amazing how well it worked. We all know what we want to happen in words, but translating it to code is a pain sometimes. Having "copilots" to help you do your job faster is a wonderful thing. It will be interesting to see how this evolves in the years to come.

https://openai.com/blog/openai-codex/

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
It will be interesting to see how this evolves in the years to come.

First they will show you the code they propose. Next they will ask you if you want to change something in their code. Then they will disallow you from messing up their code. Finally ... well, you'll have to watch the Terminator movies for that! wink

By then, there will be a lot of new participants in the ABF quarterly recitals. All bots. Mwa ha ha!

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Sam S Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
It will be interesting to see how this evolves in the years to come.

First they will show you the code they propose. Next they will ask you if you want to change something in their code. Then they will disallow you from messing up their code. Finally ... well, you'll have to watch the Terminator movies for that! wink

By then, there will be a lot of new participants in the ABF quarterly recitals. All bots. Mwa ha ha!

I wonder if that hasn't already happened, not bots, but humans using midi and DAWs and sequencers. Except there are usually errors in our recordings. Or maybe the errors are intentional just to make the recordings seem human!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
L
L
I've noticed that many PW members have tech industry backgrounds.

Thinking back to the late 60's when I took Fortran IV at UCLA, there was a harpsichord in the basement of the engineering building.

Tech work and keyboard music both brain candy?

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And maybe we won't need forums in the future either? Just ask the AI your question! Interesting results.

https://imgur.com/a/3yPhNXS

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Same OpenAI supplied the following comments for submitting the Ravel sonatina for the quarterly ABF recital:

I chose to play the sonatina by Ravel because I really enjoy the melody and the playful feel of the piece. I also think it is a great piece to show off my technical abilities. The biggest difficulty I had with learning the Ravel sonatina was mastering the left hand. The left hand has a lot of complex chords and rhythms, and it took me a while to get the hang of it. I had to practice the left hand part a lot to get it to sound smooth and fluent.

I hope you will feel that the music is graceful and elegant. I hope you will feel that the melody is haunting and beautiful, and that the harmonies are rich and complex. I hope you will feel that the music is expressive and that it touches your heart.

smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
F
F

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CLP 745 Sound problems
by robablob - 08/19/22 08:04 AM
Zeitter & Winkelmann
by Steve Freides - 08/19/22 07:35 AM
Favorite headphones?
by Hummingbird - 08/18/22 09:42 PM
Recommendation for digital piano to take ABRSM exams
by galapogos - 08/18/22 09:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,461
Posts3,217,508
Members106,119
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission