2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3215028 05/09/22 10:36 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
I know this is going to probably cause a stir
Advice: DON'T GO THERE OR I WILL REQUEST IT BE DELETED

What piano Brand is considered sounding/feeling Best for Broadway Musical Theater Music?

Steinway's, Bosendorfer's and a few others are considered strong for Classical Music
Yamaha's are considered strong for Jazz

As a Musical Theater Teacher AND Lover - is there a brand that excels with this type of music?

greatly appreciate all of you stressing to stay ON TOPIC! 3hearts 3hearts 3hearts 3hearts 3hearts heart

Brdwyguy

Last edited by brdwyguy; 05/09/22 10:37 AM.

1961-1964: Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1992-2021: Schomacker B (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Having been the rehearsal and orchestral pianist for about 25 (non- Broadway) musicals, I don't think it makes much difference since the piano is barely/rarely heard.

There are many other pianos besides the ones you mentioned that are good for classical music. Basically, any of Fine's performance pianos more than fit the bill.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/09/22 10:50 AM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I don’t have the same level of experience as Plover, but I agree with his conclusion. IMHO, there is too much siloing piano as what genre of piano music they should be used for.

B
BDB Offline
B
Because the musical theater organization that I work with more than others is outdoors, I look for free pianos that people are getting rid of and replace them when they fall apart.

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Any great piano is great for musical theater IMO.

Sorry about the other thread brdwyguy cry

Last edited by probably blue; 05/09/22 11:50 AM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by brdwyguy
I know this is going to probably cause a stir
Advice: DON'T GO THERE OR I WILL REQUEST IT BE DELETED
[...] 3hearts 3hearts 3hearts 3hearts 3hearts heart
Brdwyguy

Perhaps I am a bit naive, but I'm not sure where we're not supposed to go. But to be shouted at in all caps is pretty insulting among (supposed) adults in a public forum. As a public forum we should be able to voice opinions relative to the topic without being admonished before we even start.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
You haven't specified - and this makes a difference - whether you mean for musical theatre performances or simply for playing / listening at home.

For performances there are two thoughts:
1) Professional musical theatre performances invariably use a small orchestra or combo to accompany the singers. If there is a piano in the group of musicians, its brand wouldn't be significant.
2) Amateur groups, invariably strapped for money, use whatever piano is available in whatever venue they can secure for their performance. It may be "junk," but they have to work with it.

If it's just a "Broadway sound" you are after for playing this music for your own enjoyment or for others listening, I think the gamut of musical styles and forms is too wide to specify a particular brand. There is raucous lively dance music, jazz and ethnic music in some musical theatre numbers, and there are countless soft, sentimental, wistful ballads, and there is everything in between. I can't think of one brand that would be ideal for everything, nor can I think of any reasonably good brand that wouldn't do just as well as any other reasonably good brand.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
In bands, a piano with a strong tone that will cut through a mix is favored. Something on the brighter side, really. A lot of show bands are, as far as I'm aware, using digital keyboards for this reason. The sound engineer has a lot more control over the mix with a digital piano. In rehearsals, something that can sound large and rhythmic, and also supportive but tender seems to be the preferred way to go. In the UK, a lot of theaters bought Knight upright pianos for their rehearsal spaces in the 60s-80s before Yamaha really took over with the U1 and U3, because the sound of the Knight was kind of penetrating, but not ugly. In fact in a way it was even stronger and brighter than the Yamaha of the day, but the Knight became extremely expensive. When Knight stopped producing pianos around the year 2000, their 104.5cm (41 inch) piano was retailing at over 5000GBP, which when converted to today's prices is almost the same price as a Yamaha YUS5.

You'll probably find that most rehearsal rooms in London have Yamaha pianos, and it's probably the same in New York simply because they're the most ubiquitous make, but there'll be a good mix of Steinway grands. Almost every theater in Scotland actually had a Steinway model B, usually bought between 1950 and 1970, and some of these pianos are still kicking around. There was a kind of refurbishment drive in theaters around that time in Scotland, and there was, for whatever reason, money to buy these pianos. The Steinway B was of course an expensive piano even then, but it was comparatively cheaper than it is now. If you go on a tour of Scottish theaters that haven't yet been remodeled and still have their pianos from that period, you'll find some other makes. Danemann was a big one because of its strong projecting tone. It wasn't a particularly musical piano in terms of classical dynamics, but it could sound big in a theatre. They were probably the last British maker to produce large grand pianos up until about 1982. Welmar was also a popular maker, and all universities in Scotland, including the RCS in Glasgow were filled with Welmar pianos because Mr Willson of Sir Herbert Marshall and Sons (trading as Bluthner's UK) worked very hard on institutional sales in the 1970s and 1980s.

YAMAHA Artist
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Sorry you are 'offended' Bruce and many others - I have a habit of using all caps when I want to emphasis words - not really yell.

I apologize for 'yelling' didn't realize it would be interpreted that way!

My last post question turned into a discussion about Cats and such and it was very very frustrating trying to read thru
lengthy posts to find responses to a question I posted.

I'm not at all against discussions about Cats but to go on for pages with topics going way off subject for pages and pages is frustrating.
I was trying to head that off.

But it seemed to offend many others as well.
Sorry again.

Last edited by brdwyguy; 05/09/22 12:27 PM.

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Bruce - I was just asking for playing, not so much for performance.
Tho I purchased Boston's for my Music/Theater Dept years ago because I could get more for the donated money.

So finances becomes a factor usually for Schools.
and Donations.

I mean you don't want to say "gee our Theater Dept would prefer a Yamaha" if someone is donating a Steinway.

I was just asking If there was a piano preferred for Musical Theater music, like Classical or Jazz.

b

Last edited by brdwyguy; 05/09/22 12:32 PM.

B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thank You Joseph!
That is basically all I was asking!

your great
brdwyguy

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I've
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
In bands, a piano with a strong tone that will cut through a mix is favored. Something on the brighter side, really. A lot of show bands are, as far as I'm aware, using digital keyboards for this reason. The sound engineer has a lot more control over the mix with a digital piano.

This is definitely true in the cases, I've seen, which admittedly have been smaller venues such as school performances in gym spaces and smaller auditoriums. Digitals are easier to transport and set up, fit in more easily with the orchestra, and the volume and mix can be adjusted as needed. The last show I was at was at a local high school. There was a 6-7' grand in one corner, a Yamaha upright in the other, and neither was used at all; in the center of the pit was a Kawai MP11 digital piano.

When I last saw Hamilton and Phantom of the Opera (both large metro productions, pre-COVID), they both used a Yamaha S90XS. I'm such a nerd, I made sure to capture a picture laugh

[Linked Image]

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Yes I agree.
it seems more and more orchestras are using high-end keyboards in their pits for Broadway Shows AND for Tours.
I see them all the time in the pit of the shows I see on tour in Greenville, SC

I would love to go to every theater on Broadway right now and see who has
an Acoustic Piano
an elaborate keyboard
or both

could be interesting!

thanks so much Gombessa!

brdwyguy

I am finding a lot of Community Theater Groups are now using these 'recorded' orchestra parts for their shows.
I find it a bit offensive and takes the theater aspect out of the performance.
but it's probably a necessary evil for groups on limited budgets and time.
No Orch, No Reh, No Pay! LOL

Last edited by brdwyguy; 05/09/22 12:42 PM.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Surely a big brash Steinway, voiced to kill.

Last edited by Withindale; 05/09/22 12:55 PM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Withindale
Surely a big brash Steinway, voiced to kill.

3hearts laugh laugh laugh

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]
I am finding a lot of Community Theater Groups are now using these 'recorded' orchestra parts for their shows.

That's sad, but necessary in some cases, I suppose. I guess that's analogous to the Music Minus One (whatever that is these days) where the recording says: "You do it my way or you don't do it." Sort of limits interpretive creativity, doesn't it?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My last post question turned into a discussion about Cats and such and it was very very frustrating trying to read thru
lengthy posts to find responses to a question I posted.

I'm not at all against discussions about Cats but to go on for pages with topics going way off subject for pages and pages is frustrating.
I was trying to head that off.

But it seemed to offend many others as well.
Sorry again.
Sorry bout that. Next time if someone ever does what *I* did ask to start a group chat if that’s possible.

At least we were still including piano stuff though

Have a nice day.

Last edited by probably blue; 05/09/22 01:29 PM.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I've
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
In bands, a piano with a strong tone that will cut through a mix is favored. Something on the brighter side, really. A lot of show bands are, as far as I'm aware, using digital keyboards for this reason. The sound engineer has a lot more control over the mix with a digital piano.

This is definitely true in the cases, I've seen, which admittedly have been smaller venues such as school performances in gym spaces and smaller auditoriums. Digitals are easier to transport and set up, fit in more easily with the orchestra, and the volume and mix can be adjusted as needed. The last show I was at was at a local high school. There was a 6-7' grand in one corner, a Yamaha upright in the other, and neither was used at all; in the center of the pit was a Kawai MP11 digital piano.

When I last saw Hamilton and Phantom of the Opera (both large metro productions, pre-COVID), they both used a Yamaha S90XS. I'm such a nerd, I made sure to capture a picture laugh

[Linked Image]

Mrs. Retsacnal and I used to visit NYC 2 or 3 times a year, and generally take in a show while there. I haven't been since she before she passed, but even then (~5 years), any time I had a look at the orchestra pit, it was a digital. Frankly, it makes sense for all the usual reasons and more.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]

That's sad, but necessary in some cases, I suppose. I guess that's analogous to the Music Minus One (whatever that is these days) where the recording says: "You do it my way or you don't do it." Sort of limits interpretive creativity, doesn't it?

Regards,

yeh, that's what I thought!
It sort of pigeon-holes performers into the performances.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
When I was in college, we did a Gilbert and Sullivan show each Spring. And a few community shows in my 20s. I'm embarrassed to say that I never noticed what type of piano was used ("piano" wasn't on my radar back then). But, as PLU noted, I don't think it really mattered much, as long as it was sufficient to get the job done.

Campus was a mish mash of all sorts of things. I remember Baldwins in the practice rooms. I know there were Yamaha's because my voice teacher had one in her studio (there was a big stink about it--not because it was a Yamaha but because she wanted a baby grand instead of an upright). There was a concert grand in the main theater, which I think was a Steinway, but, TBH, I don't remember. I just know it was reserved for concerts and recitals (I never played it).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission