2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, I uploaded a new free piano library to Pianobook thinking it would take a few weeks for it to get released. Low and behold, it's live already.

Enjoy, and please leave a review if you like it (and a tip if so inclined).

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/the-experience-yamaha-s6/

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Download it along with my other free libraries (Fazioli F308, Yamaha S6, Steinway B, etc) HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Congratulations on your sample libraries!!! It's a new approach of sampling, IMO. Have fun!!! smile

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hey @Dore!

Congratulations with yet another project done!

I must test your S6, a pity I can only try the .sfz version. Yet, great that you still offer the two versions in the first place.

Cheers and keep up the fun,

HZ

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Dore!

D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hey NP, I know that you've tried the VR thing in the past... I think you were the one who pointed me to the facetracking idea. My rudimentary coding skills prevented me from connecting the flight simulator style code to this music application, but a user WAS successful:

https://github.com/blah1898/the-experience-face-tracker/releases

His program will take the open source face tracking software and output OSC so that you can do the entire VR thing on your computer, as long as it's fast enough. Makes the setup much easier. It's compatible with my S6 and F308 libraries. So more reason to try it.

Download it along with my other free libraries (Fazioli F308, Yamaha S6, Steinway B, etc) HERE
D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hey @Dore!

Congratulations with yet another project done!

I must test your S6, a pity I can only try the .sfz version. Yet, great that you still offer the two versions in the first place.

Cheers and keep up the fun,

HZ

HZPiano - as long as you're using the SFZ version, I'll let you know my favorite mix. I typically use the ORTF mics as the primary ones and then turn up the Omni AB mics to about 50%. The Omni AB gives more a spatial/room effect, whereas the ORTF mics are positioned more like your normal hearing. I like this mix for my headphones. I guess if you're using monitor speakers you might choose something else.

If anyone needs help tuning the SFZ files (turn down or up the damper release sounds, etc.), let me know and I can describe in the thread.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Thank you @Dore!

Now to find some time... Perhaps the weekend.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the wonderful piano Dore, I like it but I think there is a problem. when the key is pressed (chords) while releasing the key the note is repeated as an echo. It doesn't happen every time, but it is quite common. I don't know if it's about the settings but on my two computers the problem is the same. I tried to turn off the extra settings on the piano but it's the same problem.So far I have noticed the problem on black keys. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by slobajudge; 05/10/22 04:52 AM.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Update: On white keys also and some keys do not make a sound when playing.

Last edited by slobajudge; 05/10/22 04:56 AM.
D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by slobajudge
Update: On white keys also and some keys do not make a sound when playing.
Hey slobajudge- the echo you hear is the damper releases. You can turn the volume down on them if you don't like them, but believe it or not the actual piano sounds like that. High level grands are so resonant that the dampers make that sound. If you're using the sfz version I'd have to show you how to lower the volume.

Let me know which notes don't work and I can fix it. Pianobook now allows me to upload updates.

Or did you mean that some notes don't have an "echo"? That would be because upper notes on a piano don't have dampers.

Last edited by Dore; 05/10/22 09:16 AM.

D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
If anyone wants to turn down the damper release sounds in the SFZ versions (the Vvvvv-fffft sound of the dampers stopping the strings from vibrating that can sound like an echo):

Open the sfz file with a text editor, and find:

//--------------------------------
<group> //AB Release Dampers
//--------------------------------

volume = -3 //range is -144 to 6

Change this volume to something smaller.

I would have used Decentsampler for my non-kontakt version, but it doesn't support half pedaling, and the half pedaling was more important to me than a GUI.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Unfortunately, that is not the case. I turned off everything except the strings and hammers microphones but the notes leave a tail and sound just as loud as the ones played. I set up a short audio. This is Kontakt version.
https://soundcloud.com/user-577007635-606458235/dore-yamaha-s6

Last edited by slobajudge; 05/10/22 10:10 AM.
G
G
I assume the "full" Kontakt is required, it won't work with the free Kontakt Player?

D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Georg Z.
I assume the "full" Kontakt is required, it won't work with the free Kontakt Player?

I think the player is time limited, so yes(?). To be compatible with Kontakt Player, NI wants a royalty. And as I do this for free with my own money, I don't want to pay them.

But you can just install Sforzando and play the SFZ version, which is totally free, and why I made that version.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I like the sound of your piano Dore, but unfortunately it is unplayable for me. The same problem exists in the version for Sforzando. This is the first time I have encountered a problem with VST. I posted an audio example link above. Except for the microphone, everything else is off.

D
D
No problems here, I thinks it great! It plays fine to me and I actually have turned the damper and action up, as I'm always looking for vst's which sound more like my real piano. I've tended not to favour the brighter sound of older Yamaha's but you've done a great job capturing the ambience on this one. The only thing I notice, is the dynamic range in volume seems a bit narrow. That is, when playing notes pianissimo the sample of the hammer hitting the strings is softer in harmonics, but the note volume is still quite high. Perhaps the bright Yamaha is more like this anyway? In any case it was the only thing noticeable to me, as I tend to have less bright pianos in my collection. I've turned down the color a little to my taste.

As I play only with monitors, in fact, I use my own surround processing in logic pro for everything, I haven't needed to use the experience setting as yet.

So well done! Evidently many hours of toil to get this nailed smile

Last edited by Deltajockey; 05/10/22 07:16 PM.
D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Deltajockey
The only thing I notice, is the dynamic range in volume seems a bit narrow. That is, when playing notes pianissimo the sample of the hammer hitting the strings is softer in harmonics, but the note volume is still quite high. Perhaps the bright Yamaha is more like this anyway?

The short answer to the question about dynamic range is that the piano is exactly like I recorded. I literally performed ppp as softly as was possible, and performed fff by holding my finger above the key about 20cm and pressing down as quickly and as hard as I could. In a way, the dynamic range is hyper-real because no one really can perform this way. I suspect that the professional libraries also are "hyper real" with extended range that a human can't really perform, if you know what I mean.

Here's a demo that a user made.

https://soundcloud.com/da-fingaz/ha...ium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

D
D
Thanks for the detail Dore. yes, I suspected that was the case. I'm sure if it had been recorded in a sonically different space and arrangement, then the results could have been different again? Some vst's have dynamic volume controls, but it is only a matter of setting to taste, and the specific hardware controllers rather than matching the original instrument. I tend to play my Kawai mostly with the lid down, and the room is quite acoustically dampened, as that is my preference. So never a fair comparison in any way with vst's.

Thanks again for you contribution, it is a very nice vst to play smile

D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Deltajockey
I'm sure if it had been recorded in a sonically different space and arrangement, then the results could have been different again?

Yes, that's true. Let me tell you a bit about my motivation and philosophy about this - I record these pianos in people's homes, which all differ in acoustic conditions. To "normalize" this, I decided awhile ago to always try to emphasize "close mics" to take most of the room out of the situation, and to choose roughly the same locations over the soundboard/player position. Reverb can always be added later to choose whatever room ambience you want. Too much reverb or echo on the source audio is difficult to control with more effects.

Anyway, I got into this hobby because I was trying to compare pianos (before buying my Mason & Hamlin) by listening to youtubers who essentially record many pianos using the same recording equipment under the same conditions. This was a way to understand the character of different brands, or families (European sound vs Japanese vs American). I thought it would be an even better tool to sample pianos like this and share the experience in a more or less apples to apples comparison. I'm not trying to make the piano sound nicer - I'm trying to capture it realistically the same way every time so you can hear and feel the real difference.

J
J
Originally Posted by Dore
Let me tell you a bit about my motivation and philosophy about this - I record these pianos in people's homes, which all differ in acoustic conditions. To "normalize" this, I decided awhile ago to always try to emphasize "close mics" to take most of the room out of the situation, and to choose roughly the same locations over the soundboard/player position. Reverb can always be added later to choose whatever room ambience you want. Too much reverb or echo on the source audio is difficult to control with more effects.

Anyway, I got into this hobby because I was trying to compare pianos (before buying my Mason & Hamlin) by listening to youtubers who essentially record many pianos using the same recording equipment under the same conditions. This was a way to understand the character of different brands, or families (European sound vs Japanese vs American). I thought it would be an even better tool to sample pianos like this and share the experience in a more or less apples to apples comparison. I'm not trying to make the piano sound nicer - I'm trying to capture it realistically the same way every time so you can hear and feel the real difference.

awesome. thanks so much for doing this and putting it out there. I'm really looking forward to getting out the sfz when i get a chance

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission