2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3216062 05/13/22 09:42 PM
VladK Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
This is modeled piano, similar to Pianoteq.
https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/piano-v/overview
v3 has a completely rewritten engine.
As usual, Simeon already published video with its review:

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
J
J
Just a quick peek on their site - has a free demo

"Saving/Loading and import/export are disabled. The demo is limited to 20 minutes."

B
B
Thanks @jackopiano. I have Piano V2 now. Doesn't appear to be a discounted V3 upgrade path for existing owners of V2.

Last edited by bob@pei; 05/14/22 07:00 AM.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Thank you for posting, @VladK!

I'm currently toying with the demo and am surprised -- at first glance in a good way.

Cheers and happy toying,

HZ

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I like the sound of this modeling, better than PianoTeq. However, the lack of accessibility lables in the interface, and also not sure what keyboard shortcuts I can use to fine tune / change instruments is not making me want to invest in this program. However, the good thing about this demo is that all 88 keys work, unlike on PianoTeq. smile

Clarification: the concert grand options are better than PianoTeq, but I can still hear the "digital" factor in this process, and so is still not up to par with, let's say, Garritan CFX.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@David Lai, Yes, I agree!

Better modeling sound than Pianoteq, still not a match for the top sample libraries. Super playability, easy enough to use and tweak (except for David, I'm sorry to read) although the interface could have some improvement still.

I am back at my Modern U and love it as always. Playability was lacking a bit for me because I couldn't get a buffer setting lower than 256. So I missed the immediacy I so much longed for, despite of the superb sound quality. I could play this Arturia instrument at buffer 16 with ease and noticed how good the connection could actually be! So I experimented with Modern U once again and got it at buffer 32 now, or 64 if I want even less chance of any tiny dropout, and am now super happy with the immediacy. The trick was to trade in a little polyphony (from Default to Medium), which turns out to make no difference at all in my normal playing.

An unexpectedly useful Saturday this way!

Cheers and happy experimenting,

HZ

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

@David Lai, Yes, I agree!

Better modeling sound than Pianoteq, still not a match for the top sample libraries. Super playability, easy enough to use and tweak (except for David, I'm sorry to read) although the interface could have some improvement still.

I am back at my Modern U and love it as always. Playability was lacking a bit for me because I couldn't get a buffer setting lower than 256. So I missed the immediacy I so much longed for, despite of the superb sound quality. I could play this Arturia instrument at buffer 16 with ease and noticed how good the connection could actually be! So I experimented with Modern U once again and got it at buffer 32 now, or 64 if I want even less chance of any tiny dropout, and am now super happy with the immediacy. The trick was to trade in a little polyphony (from Default to Medium), which turns out to make no difference at all in my normal playing.

HZ

May I ask the specifications of the computer you are using?

Jose

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hi Jose!

It is a PC I built myself some 10 or 11 years ago.

- Intel i3-4330 two cores/four threads
- 8Gb RAM
- Samsung SSDs (840 EVO and 870 EVO) both at SATA600 ports
- Windows 7 Professional 64bits
- Gigabyte motherboard
- PreSonus Studio 68c over USB

Cheers 😉,

HZ

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Too late to edit:

- Intel i3-4330 two cores/four threads @3.5 gHz

Cheers,

HZ

Originally Posted by bob@pei
Thanks @jackopiano. I have Piano V2 now. Doesn't appear to be a discounted V3 upgrade path for existing owners of V2.

You should see a discount if you login and look in your 'My Products' page or on the product's page itself when you're logged in.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
N
N
I always thought the Arturia pianos have been a bit underrated even though they're very expensive given the limited customization options compared to Pianoteq. I tried V3 and IMO Arturia handles the attack a lot more realistically than Pianoteq, but Pianoteq does resonances a bit better. Nice to an improvement.

The best sounding modeled instrument (based on demos) I've heard is UAD ravel https://www.uaudio.com/luna/instruments-extensions/ravel.html

But it seems to only be available for mac at the moment and requires special software. It also seems to have some bugs, but man does it sound good

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Simeon in his comments thinks Pianoteq 7 is still slightly ahead of Arturia V-Piano. It is all subjective. I'm glad Arturia is still working on their modeled piano version as more the merrier smile

I'm in the camp that I like the approach as the HD space is so small compared the the great Sampled library Pianos. PianoTeq fits nicely on my laptop and fits my needs. Might not be the best sounding VSTi Piano on the market but it still sounds good enough for my needs. I almost pulled the trigger on Arturia V2 last yearm now I'm glad I didn't buy it. I'll wait for the next Black-Friday Sale to jump on board. If you're into synths at all I highly recommend Arturia Pigment 3. A great software synth to play with. Just be warned you will lose track of hours of your life if you're anything like me!

Peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
J
J
did a quick test : pianoteq steinway d jazz, aturia american classical clean.

maybe more resonance with pianoteq & more verb in preset. but quite similar.

soundcloud link to demo

Last edited by jbaker8935; 05/14/22 12:29 PM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Agree with others. Despite Pianoteq’s reign as King of the Modeled Pianos, this one sound a bit more authentic to me, from the small demos I’ve heard. Less of that synthy-sparkly-toy keyboard vibe that Pianoteq sometimes gives. Will have to listen a bit more. I like what I heard here much more on initial listening.

But I agree with David & HZPiano, in that it still is no match for the top sample libraries. Modeling has come far, but it still has a long way to go to truly capture all of what an actual physical instrument offers, and recording that instrument directly stills to be the best path for authenticity.

Will check this demo out, though.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
I experimented with Modern U once again and got it at buffer 32 now, or 64 if I want even less chance of any tiny dropout, and am now super happy with the immediacy. The trick was to trade in a little polyphony (from Default to Medium), which turns out to make no difference at all in my normal playing.

HZ

To whomever it concerns: Earlier today I wrote this in this thread, and indeed it worked perfectly at that time. But later in the day it didn't work perfectly. I don't know why, because nothing was changed in the meantime. So this goes back to the drawing board and I'm a bit gutted.

Cheers and happy, hmmm, well,

HZ

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by napilopez
I always thought the Arturia pianos have been a bit underrated even though they're very expensive given the limited customization options compared to Pianoteq. I tried V3 and IMO Arturia handles the attack a lot more realistically than Pianoteq, but Pianoteq does resonances a bit better. Nice to an improvement.

The best sounding modeled instrument (based on demos) I've heard is UAD ravel https://www.uaudio.com/luna/instruments-extensions/ravel.html

But it seems to only be available for mac at the moment and requires special software. It also seems to have some bugs, but man does it sound good

If one day PianoTeq can sound like this, and only when it can sound like this, will you see me fully embrace modeled pianos! Yes, I agree that this UAD plugin piano is the best, if not one of the best out there, and certainly the most realistically modeled sound.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I experimented with Modern U once again and got it at buffer 32 now, or 64 if I want even less chance of any tiny dropout, and am now super happy with the immediacy. The trick was to trade in a little polyphony (from Default to Medium), which turns out to make no difference at all in my normal playing.

HZ

To whomever it concerns: Earlier today I wrote this in this thread, and indeed it worked perfectly at that time. But later in the day it didn't work perfectly. I don't know why, because nothing was changed in the meantime. So this goes back to the drawing board and I'm a bit gutted.

Cheers and happy, hmmm, well,

HZ

I love it that your replies always have some sort of format. I'm sure you've thought of it for a while, HZ.

Hope you were able to get it working again.
Cheers and happy problem solving!

David

J
J

Are you sure that the UAD Ravel is fully modeled?

The info on the website is rather ambiguous, but as far as I could tell, it appears to be some kind of sample/model hybrid, with individual notes sampled from an actual instrument, and sympathetic resonance and other effects added on through modeling. They don’t make it particularly clear, though.

Either way, it sounds very nice.

N
N
Originally Posted by jdg78

Are you sure that the UAD Ravel is fully modeled?

The info on the website is rather ambiguous, but as far as I could tell, it appears to be some kind of sample/model hybrid, with individual notes sampled from an actual instrument, and sympathetic resonance and other effects added on through modeling. They don’t make it particularly clear, though.

Either way, it sounds very nice.

Oh yeah, it's definitely not fully modeled -- they say it was recorded. Still, Id like to see more hybrid sampling and modeling instruments. Ivory is nice but the release samples don't cut it for me

A
A

That's a 10 GB sampled piano that uses modeling for its resonance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission