2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3216217 05/14/22 04:13 PM
J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am currently between a couple pianos. I initially wanted a new piano, my budget is about $30-35K. After much debate and shopping around, I ultimately am leaning toward a used, but bigger piano. Here are the three I have it down to:

Yamaha C5 (1999, 6'7"), $28K

Kawai GX2 (new, 5'11"): $35K

Wilhelm Schimmel (new, 5'11"): $32K

Any thoughts on the price of the Yamaha? All of these prices include 6% sales tax, delivery, home tuning, bench. It has the best feel I think of all three, and while it is 23 years old, I think I could still get several decades out of it if maintained.

The Yamaha price seemed a little high to me, but still considerably less than a new CX5 (this is after some haggling already). I don't know of any quality pianos of that size I could get new for my budget, and not much else in the used market in my area currently that has caught my attention (most in that price range are of higher quality admittedly, but much older pianos). Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Which do you like best in terms of tone?

J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The Yamaha, then the W. Schimmel a close second, then Kawai. Some of it may be due to the recital room it is currently housed in (smaller and wood floors compared to main showrooms), but the added 9” add a lot of fullness, especially to the bass. Touch is a toss up between W Schimmel and Yamaha I think. Both are different, but each great in its own right.

J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So the real choice is probably between the Yamaha (23y old, but bigger), and the W. Schimmel (smaller but new, a little less well known line of pianos). The Kawai is last place due to highest cost and I probably like it the least.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
The Yamaha seems on the high side in terms of price. I would have seen more toward the 22K range. It all depends what the condition is of course and local situation.

Blüthner model 6
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
If the Yamaha is in fairly pristine condition and still sounds good, I’d negotiate the price down a bit. Maybe have your tech check it out. William Schimmels are very nice but that model is 8” shorter, which makes a big difference in the sound department.

Best Wishes on your decision.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Personally I would get the Yamaha. But make sure you like it, play for a while.

Didn’t someone else post something like this?

I think like:

- Yamaha C5

- Some Steinway

- Some Kawai?

Just checked!
It’s you again!! Found a new C5 listing huh!

Glad to see you making more progress

Last edited by probably blue; 05/14/22 06:05 PM.
J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hah! You found me out! I figured a new post may generate new discussion/get new views and opinions.

Since then, I cut the Steinway off the list (35y old, and too small). The W. Schimmel made an appearance, with serious considering.

It’s the same Yamaha, but I talked the salesman down a little. Getting my tech to check it out next week.

I keep going back and forth between the W. Schimmel and Yamaha in terms of touch and tone. The W. Schimmel is simply a smaller piano, but new. The action on the Yamaha is great, borders on TOO light, but feels really nice overall.

The Kawai is currently still in the running (mostly because I am an over-thinker). I want to like it more haha. I really loved it my first time sitting at it, but she on sequent visits Ive found it difficult to play expressively at very low volumes, Morris than the Yamaha or W. Schimmel. It has a great reputation, and I’m sure I’d be happy with it either way, but splitting hairs at this point given how big financially and long term commitment this is.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Really? Guessing a mistake, in the other post it said 1998 and this one 1999.

I hope everything goes well 😁😆😃😃😀😁

J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, was a mistake in original post. It’s 1999.

Hard part about the W. Schimmel is that there is not a lot of info online about it (aside from one review from piano buyer and one from merriam pianos), but what is out there all seems positive. WAY more public information and collective experience to draw from for the Yamaha, so I feel the W. Schimmel is slightly more of a gamble. Plus of course the compromise in size.

Thanks for all your responses thus far smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, that’s one of the things when I’m looking at other less known brands.

True, the C5 will have many many reviews!

Is W. Schimmel the Poland ones?

J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, purportedly German renner action and Bavarian spruce soundboard, cabinet assembled in Poland at what used to be the Vogel factory. I believe some parts sourced from China? There was some conflicting information deep into the blogosphere. Consumer grade piano made by Schimmel, below their Konzert and Classic series, both of which are fully made at their German factory with all German parts, but are much more expensive. All Schimmel pianos (including the W. Schimmel) are hand made pianos.

Last edited by Jameezy; 05/14/22 09:10 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jameezy
All Schimmel pianos (including the W. Schimmel) are hand made pianos.

This statement is pointless. And their German factory uses more automation than many piano factories in that country.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Do not buy any piano you like unless it has a full blogosphere pedigree?

Last edited by Withindale; 05/15/22 03:20 AM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I guess it more that for the money going into the piano, I want to be sure it is sourced from quality materials and parts. I am new to acoustic pianos, and it has been a bit overwhelming to understand all of the intricacies of what goes into making a piano, with often conflicting advice thrown around regarding what is and is not important. I understand at the end of the day, go with what sounds and feels good to me, but it’s nice to have some objectivity where you can to evaluate different respectively.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
The most important thing is whether you like the piano, how it plays and sounds, its touch and tone. Of course the quality of materials and build is important. Most often quality an performance go together. Schimmel is one of the best brands, they are not going to make rubbish pianos that will damage their reputation.

If you have not already done so, why not take some time out from making decisions? Instead go play as many pianos as you can. Other Yamahas, other Schimmels, other brands. Then you will have a better idea of what you like and what questions to ask.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Jameezy, I own a Yamaha C2 from 2000 (and my first acoustic was a Yamaha upright), I've played a few different C5s and know people who own them (and one who owns a C7 IIRC. All of these are great instruments (my C2 included), so I have only good things to say about Yamaha pianos.

Re the Schimmel, I only have experience with one that I used to play quite regularly. I liked it a lot and when I decided to buy a grand, I thought I would include Schimmel in my selection but unfortunately, there were none in driving distance to me, so it didn't work out. So I can't say too much about them.

But if you like the C5, and it checks out in a tech inspection, I say go for it.

Unless you absolutely love the Schimmel, if you can fit a larger piano, why go smaller?

BTW Withendale's suggestion to play a lot of pianos is a good one, but I had the impression you've been doing that already?

So, what is your goal? Are you ready to buy a piano and move on, or are you up for another few months of searching? There's nothing wrong with either of these options, but if you can articulate for yourself where you're at in the process, it will be helpful.

One last question, since you're wondering if the C5 is priced high, where are you located? Are there lots of options for piano purchasing?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I’m in Detroit area. There are 4 piano galleries locally, I’ve been to all at least twice now, so I have a decent idea of what their used inventory is. The Yamaha C5 stood out due to its size, price, and relative age compared to a lot of the other used ones I’ve come across (many are very old, too expensive, or too small). There are galleries in Lansing and Ann Arbor, about 1.5hr drive from me. I haven’t been to these galleries but I’ve at least looked at their posted used inventory online, and still the Yamaha seems to be the best value for size and age. I’ve also scoured online resources like Craigslist and pianomart.

I’ve been looking for about 2-3 months. I’m honestly exhausted by the search, me and my wife would love it to be over! Haha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Unless you absolutely love the Schimmel, if you can fit a larger piano, why go smaller?
So his wife doesn’t complain about a giant piano in the living room 😉 (JK)

What’s funny is I can fit a concert grand in basically the same spot as my 5’5” (but not angled, flat against wall)

Room is pretty big, TALL slanted ceiling, open space concept so even more space for sound (lol)

I am by no means rich it’s just a weird living room, kitchen, formal living room (sort of) setup.

Last edited by probably blue; 05/15/22 10:59 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ok, so you've really played a lot, so that's good. If you feel these three pianos are your best options, I would say move forward with the comparison and pick one. Yes, one is bigger than the other two, and for many that would be enough of a deciding factor. But maybe for you, now try to really zero in on which one you like to play better, which one sounds better, which one feels better...

BTW the Kawai hasn't been discussed much, have you ruled it out?

Once you zero in a little more, then have that piano inspected by an independent tech (i.e., someone you hire/pay for, not someone paid by the dealer). Esp. for used instruments, the tech can tell you if there are any red flags etc.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission