2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (Belger1900, accordeur, 80k, BMKE, AndreaH, Billy..., AndrewJCW, ambrozy, bob@pei, 11 invisible), 5,743 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3216892 05/17/22 06:15 AM
B
Brus Offline OP
OP Offline
B
According to what I can find, this is supposed to cancel a double-sharp and give a single sharp on a note.

But I ran into it where there is no double-sharp to be cancelled. There's a G flat in the key signature, however, and the idea appears to be to cancel the flat and make it G-sharp. Why it couldn't be written as an A-flat I don't know.

I can't go by "what sounds right" because this piece has lots of deliberate dissonance in it.

(By the way, this is from June Weybright's Mildly Contemporary series. I see a handful of mentions of Weybright on this board, but nothing about Mildly Contemporary. When I was a kid in the 1960s my piano teacher gave me a few assignments from one of these books, and I've sought them out now in my retirement).

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The natural sign can cancel any previous accidental.

As for why G# rather than A flat, it's all to do with harmony and enharmonic changes - or to the whim of the composer wink .

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There is no reason to use a natural sign to cancel anything out, even double-sharps. Any accidental automatically cancels everything before it.

It's common to see natural signs that "cancel out" a key signature before introducing a new key signature, but that is just courtesy from the editor and is not required in standard musical notation.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Brus
According to what I can find, this is supposed to cancel a double-sharp and give a single sharp on a note.

But I ran into it where there is no double-sharp to be cancelled. There's a G flat in the key signature, however, and the idea appears to be to cancel the flat and make it G-sharp. Why it couldn't be written as an A-flat I don't know.

The accidentals indicated are always absolute and not relative and they are unrelated to the key signature. The Natural sign cancel all previous accidentals, ie you get a G (white key), irrespective of what is in the key signature or previous accidentals. There is a common misconception that the natural sign cancels only one sharp, but that is untrue. In some editions, you will find a double natural sign after a double sharp or flat, but that is strictly not necessary, the single natural is enough.

If you want to get a G sharp after a previous double sharp, you need to write one sharp (assuming the key signature does not have one, and we are in the same bar). Most editors for clarity will put a natural sign and a sharp by courtesy.

In your case, if there is a G flat in the key signature, and you see a natural G, then it is exactly that, a natural G (ie white key). If the author wanted a G sharp, he would put a sharp or possibly and by courtesy a natural and sharp.

Blüthner model 6
T
T
For clarity…what do you mean by “a natural sharp sign”? Are you referring to a *natural sign* immediately followed by a *sharp sign*?

If so, this combination isn’t always about cancelling out a double-sharp. In some cases it can be cautionary or used merely to call attention.

If the G is flat in the key signature, the composer may have felt it necessary to natural it, then add the sharp to ensure that you know it’s supposed to be a G-sharp. Instead of making the mistake of “sharping” the G-flat into a natural. Perhaps the composer was just being careful. Perhaps this is a mistake that is made often? You also say this piece has a lot of intentional dissonances. Perhaps it’s to ensure that you don’t make a mistake of playing that note in the way it has been altered in previous measures. Has that particular G been sharped, double-sharped, or naturaled repeatedly in previous passages? Because this piece has intentional dissonances, probably created by lots of accidentals, the composer may have done this to make sure that you know exactly what the intention is there, since the piece has so much going on.

It’s hard to know why without knowing what the piece is or how the passages before it look, but those could be reasons.

As for why the composer chose to make it a G-sharp instead of an A-flat….the same reason a composer might chose to call a piece Prelude in D-flat & notate it in D-flat instead of Prelude in C-Sharp with notations in C-sharp. It could just be preference, especially if this is a piece where the composer takes liberties & is experimental.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Back to the Piano
by DDobs - 07/03/22 05:36 PM
Beginner digital piano buying advice
by pianist2022 - 07/03/22 02:10 PM
Next Repertoire Pieces for my Student?
by RepertoireHunter - 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Small high end grands
by AndreaH - 07/03/22 08:50 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,792
Posts3,205,190
Members105,709
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission