2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (Animisha, Alex Hutor, ada d., Burkhard, artsky, David Boyce, Burkey, 9 invisible), 838 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
A
Yeahh another recital! These are highlights for me during the year. Very good playing so far from what I have listened to!

Thank ou Peyton and Ido for your comments on my piece. I really appreciate it smile

Thank you also tsychoco for your detail feedback and for taking the time to listen.

Originally Posted by tyschoco
Movement 1, Allegro:
You have certainly picked up the pedagogical value of attempting this work, you should find your scale and fingerwork has improved along with your trills.

Just keep in mind your shoulders and arm relaxation, as you will need to allow your arm weight to rest gently on your fingers to eventually build up comfortable, even speed in your playing. Right now there is visible tension that is transmitting to your fingers that is lending to the speed wall you are experiencing. Deal with these issues and continue improving as you have been and you will be able to play this at a future date at the concert 126-132 BPM.

I have certainly noticed a big improvement in both my scales and trills. After the first weeks/month of working on the first movement, I would have never though that I would be able to reach the tempo I was able to generate at the end in my recording. It was indeed a very rewarding learning process, that required a lot of patience.

thank you for your feedback on my playing. I do not feel any tension when playing this piece, but I am sure there is still some work to be done there. I am always amazed when I see professional pianists playing this fast scale passages, it seems as if their fingers are dancing on the keys so effortless. I am sure this is a topic my teacher is aware of and we will be for sure working on it.

Movement 2, Andante: Ah this is obviously at tempo haha. Everything is nice and stable and your sense of dynamic and control is definitely coming through. Good response to the harmonic changes too. Two suggestions, firstly, i would personally consider the use of Finger pedal here so you can get the sostenuto character of the cantabile line. Especially since you are not recording in an overly acoustic environment, the piece sounds slightly dry as a result. Secondly, a deeper and more singing touch in the right hand would aid the interpretation. Especially since your Sabel Has a very mellow quality to it, you will be able to get a very nice singing tone out of it with the proper touch.
The tip with the finger pedal sounds very interesting. I remember using it in previous pieces that also had alberti bass sections, but I did not try it this time. I tried to add slightly more weight to the bass note on each alberti figure, but the effect of the finger pedal would be more noticeable. Your comment on the singing touch is spot on and was something my teacher always mentioned when I played it for him, playing more legato and cantabile all throughout. We are currently working on that on a new piece, so let's see how that turns out smile

Your patience and meticulousness will pay off in the long run, very good attempt for what is a very big big jump in skill. Look forward to an iteration of a Haydn Sonata of a similar level as you continue to get acclimated to these types of works!
Thank you!! :DDD Haydn would be cool! I love his compositions. Let's see what my next classical piece will be smile
I read you are currently working on one if his sonatas. That is for sure something I would like to have a listen to smile

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
A
Here my first batch of comments smile

01. Calavera - Forever Rachel I always enjoy your submissions very much Calavera. Thank you also for the short historical background on the development of the consoles. I am sure it played a definite role in the way composers approached the composition of video game music back in the day. I have always praised your capacity to generate tension and and playing with tempo in al your pieces. It always sounds very musical and not forced at all. Very lovely submission for this recital. I really enjoyed it.

02. MarieJ - Luminous Lovely piece MarieJ. The effect you added works very well for this piece. It kind of makes the piano to sounds like an acoustic guitar in some moments, specially on the bass section. You played this beautifully, thank you for sharing smile

11. Rickster - "Heart of Georgia Boogie" What a fun submission! Playing this seems like a big shot of good energy, like you are instantaneously in a good mood after playing this. I liked the lyrics too! and my parents were also born in the 56' ha! I will show them your song. Thank for sharing this with us smile

12. Ted Jones - The Fourth Ace Cool improvisation! This one felt a bit more modern or contemporary from what I remembered from your previous submissions. Have you noticed whether your improvisations tend to navigate towards a particular sound? Or is it pretty mixed depending on your mood and the day?

21. sandalholme - Les Folies Francaises ou les Dominos from Ordre No13 What an enjoyable recording! You managed to provide its own character to each one of the 12 pieces, and it never felt monotonous in terms of tempo and articulation. My favorites were No. 5, No. 8 and No. 12. It is an interesting exercise trying to link each piece with their titles. The sound of that harpsichord was superb! Very well chosen and recorded. How did you decided to learn this set of pieces? Or how did you know about it? I have always found hard to find order in the index of keyboard works by Couperin. Finding recordings is not so easy either, although at least for this piece, I was surprised to find a recording by Cziffra. Beautiful submission overall!

22. Flygbladet - Monkey Island 1 theme music I did not expect the piece to sound like this based on its title. It felt very dancy, rhythmically very latin sounding. You did a great job bringing out the character of the piece. Thank you for sharing.

31. PikaPianist - Rigaudon (From The Holberg Suite) What a great piece. It seems like a very fun piece to play. I think you did a great job with this piece as usual. Great articulation to bring out the character of the piece and lovely used of dynamics all throughout. You also managed to create a very interesting contrast between the middle section and the rest of the piece, which made it very enjoyable to listen to. Thank you very much for sharing laugh

32. Agrajag - Sonata "Pathetique" Op. 13 - I Awesome effort and a lot of courage too for deciding to tackle this piece so early in your piano learning process. I think there a lot of good things in your recording already. You played it with a lot of musicality. A lot of dynamic variation and exploration, which I think is essential when practicing any piece. As you mention, it still requires some work. I have the impression that some sections still represent a big challenge technically speaking, specially when trying to bring out the piece up to tempo. I would recommend to focus on some of those aspects in case you are considering to continue working on this piece. I am not a teacher so I would not comment on those in detail. I would only mention one small thing that sort of caught my attention given the big chords one plays in this piece, and that is that that you could involve the wrists a bit more when playing them. This helps to join them and play them more legato and in that way to not depend so much on finger movement only. Another aspect I have been trying to focus on in these past months is to be able to play a piece to my satisfaction consistently, and not only sporadically. From my experience, recording these larger works is a challenge on its own, and really feeling you have the piece very well under your fingers helps with that process too. But this was overall a great submission! Keep up the hard work! your process is outstanding smile

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
13. Peterws- Peter, what a great improv on a great piece. I love that jumpy left hand. That was really fun to listen to.

14. facdo. I seem to say "Wow!" on these recitals alot these days. Here is another one... WOW! So nicely played and how lucky you were to be able to play it on such a beautiful piano.

15. Serge88- Wonderfully played as always. Really nice piece that I've never heard befoere. (I like that split screen on the vid. )

16. Quasiunafantasia- I freally enjoyed this. I think you played it really well with wonderful dynamics. And now you have totally piqued my curiosity and I'm going to have to look up that second part. Bruckner rocks!!

L
L
Thank you, Ido for listening and commenting on my piece.

Just getting started on listening and commenting here -

17. Ido - Waltz Op.70 No.3 - Exquisite! The piano and recording sound seemed just right.

19. thepianoplayer416 - Sonatina in G (Anh. 5): Moderato - Romanze - I enjoyed your performance. It looked and sounded secure and confident.

20. Snejana - The Ones Out of Place - That was a thoughtful and hauntingly emotional tribute to a sad situation.

21. sandalholme - Les Folies Francaises ou les Dominos from Ordre No13 - That was an interesting variety of character conveyed as a stately whole.

22. Flygbladet - Monkey Island 1 theme music - Wow! That sounded really good. To my ears it sounds as good or even better that lots of classical pieces I've heard.

23. Kepijapa - Partita No.6 In E Minor, BWV 830, 2-3. Allemande-Corrente - Your performance of what looks like a very difficult Bach piece was delightfully smooth, flowing and musical. Bravo!

24. Jerzyk19 - Immortal - I'm not familiar with the original song, but the performance sounded peaceful and well played.

25. zsolpyW - Tell him - I'm not familiar with the original song, but I enjoyed the contemplative quality of the music and your playing.

26. KevinM - Sonatina in D Opus 36 No 6 part 1 I- found the piece and performance delightful! I'm jealous of your lightning fast page turns with nary a pause in the playing.

27. Marklings - Waltz Op. 64 n.2 in C sharp minor - That is a lovely waltz and one of my favorite Chopin pieces. Congratulations on reaching a goal!

28. Rachtoven - Invention No. 8 - That was an impressive performance of one of the livelier Bach pieces. Good job!

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by AndresVel
12. Ted Jones - The Fourth Ace Cool improvisation! This one felt a bit more modern or contemporary from what I remembered from your previous submissions. Have you noticed whether your improvisations tend to navigate towards a particular sound? Or is it pretty mixed depending on your mood and the day?

If, upon listening afterwards, I do not perceive myself reaching out into completely new regions, I feel I have failed in some sense. Most improvisers acquire a huge collection of brief sections of music which are liable to pop out repeatedly over the years, usually in evolving and modified form; I term them attractors by analogy with chaos theory. If positive they constitute creative personality, if negative they tend toward hackneyed repetition, and this difference itself varies among listeners and from day to day. Thanks for listening and for the insightful question.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
K
K
14. facdo. Rachmaninoff's Elegie: one of my favorites beautifully done! I've tried playing that one and I know how deceptively challenging it can be just to get the notes right, which you did, and you put a lot of feeling into it, so bravo.

A couple of thoughts, purely matters of opinion which you may choose to ignore. The middle section where those right hand double note figures start, I always thought that part is more effectively played a bit slower than is normally done. It may be cheesy but I picture butterflies in a field. And the big crescendo from around 3:30 to 4:00 I thought could use a bit quicker tempo, a little more intensity.

Just some ideas which I offer modestly because I was never able to play this with as much technical proficiency as you did.

Almost not insane some of the time.
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
07. stevedoz - Danzas argentinas Op. 2, no 2, Danza de la moza donosa
Very evocative music. There was a big revival of this idiom a couple of decades ago within the "Terra Verde" movement involving Hal Isbitz, Scott Kirby, David Thomas Roberts and company and your playing lacks nothing compared to theirs.

10. Peyton - Etude #2
The music of Glass provokes a curiously ambivalent response in me, alternating between contemplative serenity and ominous portent. You bring out this inherent paradox splendidly.

22. Flygbladet - Monkey Island 1 theme music
This brought back jolly memories of the Amiga game, its unusually rich graphics and numinous ambiance. Well played.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by lilypad
19. thepianoplayer416 - Sonatina in G (Anh. 5): Moderato - Romanze - I enjoyed your performance. It looked and sounded secure and confident.

Thanks for your comment. Worked on the 1st movement with the teacher before her summer break. Before moving onto the 2nd movement got hit with flu-like symptoms. Stayed in bed for nearly a week before I had enough energy to make recordings. Have to be grateful didn't have a serious infection.

Q
Q
Congratulations to everyone on another awesome recital, and thanks once again to Sam. Thanks also to peterws, tyschoco, Ido and Peyton for your comments - always very welcome and much appreciated.
I'm taking a few passes at this recital rather than listening in numerical order and here are my first lot of comments:

01. Calavera - Forever Rachel
You seem to be able to capture the emotional story of a piece so well. Whether the soaring drama of the middle section or the quiet contemplation of the main theme, it always sounds “just right”. Fantastic playing as usual.

05. briangmoore - Chanson
What a beautiful, gentle piece. I really like your voicing here. Well done.

06. pianist685 (Constantin) - She's a lady
Wow, great vocals – you have a lovely clear expressive tone. The whole thing sounded very professional, and the gushy synth strings worked really well – tres 80’s!

10. Peyton - Etude #2
This was great to listen to. Full of affecting colour without losing the magic roundabout Glass-y drive. I thought your piano sounded good too.

13. peterws - Summertime Ended
Not so much savage as saucy! Your playing felt effortless. Really enjoyable.

15. Serge88 - Ballade pour Adeline
Wonderful. It was expressive without being overblown. I wish my hands looked that quiet and relaxed when I play!

19. thepianoplayer416 - Sonatina in G (Anh. 5): Moderato - Romanze
Very Beethoven! Your timing is excellent and I thought your tempo was just right. The only small thing that caught my attention was sometimes there was a little unevenness in the right hand - a few grace notes, and also some quavers in the 6/8 section. I notice that your right hand wrist sometimes drops below the keys and this may contribute to unevenness by introducing tension and forcing you to play in a more ‘fingers only’ way. Overall great though, and I enjoyed listening. I hope you are feeling better now.

22. Flygbladet - Monkey Island 1 theme music (to do)
Well done on an energetic and virtuosic performance. It sounds like you were swashbuckling away at the piano.

27. Marklings - Waltz Op. 64 n.2 in C sharp minor
I really love this waltz too, and I agree that it is definitely not easy. You play so well, elegant and flowing, and with enviable control. The slow section in particular was gorgeous.

33. candela - Nordic Themes Nos 8 and 11
This is seriously impressive playing for your level of experience. The pieces were very atmospheric and I think you were successful in bringing a sense of reflective sadness to both.

36. Tyschoco - Bach Invention No.15 in B Minor, BMV 786
Once again you have lovely clear, but still expressive, articulation. The left hand ornaments were particularly impressive. Great playing!

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Once again a giant thank you, Sam, for all your work behind the scenes in the latest Recital.

A smaller field than usual but I still don’t know where to begin my feedback. Do I go with the usual, working through from #1? Or should I start with the kind early birds who have already provided greatly-appreciated comments on my effort? Seems fair … smile

What do they say about standing on the shoulders of giants - you did, and 'Summertime Ended' was playful and a lot of fun. It also showed off the Bechstein’s capabilities, and I really enjoyed it!

I’m glad you made it in time to bring us your lively and enjoyable submission.
Going by your critiques over recent Recitals, your technical knowledge appears to be more extensive than expected for a learner after only 2.5 years of formal teaching. Did you previously do lots of ‘informal’ music study?

10. Peyton - Etude #2
I hadn’t heard this one before - a true Glass ‘workout’ - and I loved it. You, the Kawai and Pianoteq made an impressive combination. (Did you go for ‘Stage’ or ‘Standard’?)

17. Ido - Waltz Op.70 No.3
The sound quality was fine, and I’m impressed by the quality of the video - what model of phone was it? A lovely piece indeed, sensitively played.

08. AndresVel - Piano Sonata No. 16 in C major, KV 545
One year and 11 months, and not only have you tackled the whole of this advanced piece but also performed it (without sheet music) to such a high standard. I’m in awe!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXVI

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
28 Rachthoven - Bach Invention #8 Very professional and expert playing! Congratulations. You chose the proper tempo and are able to keep it without any problems. This is true Bach, with almost no pedal.

36 Tyschoco – Bach Invention #15 It is awesome what you are doing after only 2.5 years of formal learning. Proper tempo, and all the ornaments are up to the point. Top notch!

T
T
Thanks everyone for the kind comments so far! Here's my second batch. Some really nice submissions this time around despite the smaller pool.

09. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata in E Major K 380

As some people have mentioned ,this is one of Tifanny Poon's favorite pieces and in extension, one of my favorite pieces too.

Good voicing in your right hand, the melody sings well above the textures. Considering your use of the pedal, you are doing a really good job ensuring it does not blurr too much of the harmonic progression. Your ornaments are mostly there, except some small spots here and there that jam up slightly (quite normal, i have that too). The only thing i would suggest is perhaps play around with less pedal and a little more "bouncy" articulation in some places like the open 5th figures. I personally feel this particular sonata has a contrast between the singing line and an almost marching quality which can be brought out. Overall really nice to listen to!

10. Peyton - Etude #2

Someone played this before in the ABF correct? Either the same composer or the same work?

Anyways, Very nice use of less pedal for this at the beginning and very good outlining of the voice leading of each eight note figure. We can hear that very well, it gives it a good sense of harmonic and musical direction. Dynamic choices are tasteful and pedal is used very well throughout, especially when dealing with a digital piano. Nice!

11. Rickster - "Heart of Georgia Boogie"
This was sung and composed by you? Really nice! Nothing to critique about the piano. But very very nice voice laugh

12. Ted Jones - The Fourth Ace

Very interesting improvisation. I don't even know how i could pull off all these interesting harmonies and rhythms lol. Very nice musical material to listen to. I think the only critique is that some scale passages could sound a little more even. But that is a pretty tall order considering the nature of improvisation. Hope to hear more!

I am actually not familiar with this piece. So i think its sound pretty nice! Good finger work for the little fast passages and nice response to the textures with dynamics. The Damper pedal only intrudes likely because its a digital you are working with, acoustics allow the use of half damping which can reduce the tendency for the piece to sound too blurry.

14. facdo - Elegie Op.3 No.1

Pretty sure this is a rather popular piece. On a Bosendorfer no less!

What a wonderful piano and looks like you are exploring all the possibilities the piano is offering to you. You are sensitive to the different dynamic and harmonic changes throughout the work. Piu Vivo section is executed well with the double notes, i personally would have allowed the Bass to sing out again the double notes just a little more. Perhaps just a little more shaping on the melody line would add to your interpretation as well. Very very nice work, clearly you are enjoying yourself!

15. Serge88 - Ballade pour Adeline

Noice, very noice. Nice sharp rhythms and good attempts at the double third octave passages. Good voicing too as i am able to hear the main melody above the textures rather well. Your tempo is rather consistent except for the 32nd note broken chords (but everyone has issues with those lol). Good sense of dynamics especially at the end of the song. Very enjoyable

16. QuasiUnaFantasia - Fantasie in G major

Bruckner! Very interesting. I only encountered him once and that was for a choral work.

This gives me a little bit of Chopin e minor prelude vibes, even if the key and meter are completely different. Very well executed polyrhythms, in fact it took me just a second to realize it was 2 against 3 because of how naturally you were executing them! Very very nice dynamic response around bar 20! The left hand was very well controlled there in particular. Love the moments of almost subito piano you are doing, responding very nicely to the harmonic changes. Quite curious how it would sound on an acoustic given your great response to the musical details. Very nice indeed.

Originally Posted by MarieJ
I’m glad you made it in time to bring us your lively and enjoyable submission.
Going by your critiques over recent Recitals, your technical knowledge appears to be more extensive than expected for a learner after only 2.5 years of formal teaching. Did you previously do lots of ‘informal’ music study?

Glad you enjoyed my submission! To answer your question, I did not start as complete beginner as i did take keyboard lesson when i was younger. I came back to it starting my proper training 2 years ago after jumping between less than ideal teachers , so i could play later beginner pieces like Bach minuets/marches (albeit poorly) ,the equivalent of grade 3 ABRSM or Level 5 RCM for the north American peeps?

My technical knowledge mostly comes from what my teacher tells me (she is amazing, as she is the only one i found that identified how much fundamental work i needed, rather than pushing me blindly to harder repertoire) along with my own reading (Josh Wright ftw). I should probably mention i am an Undergraduate Voice major, so i also frequent my institution's piano department, so my current theoretical knowledge comes mostly from my pre-college/college music training and watching other players perform while being critiqued by the professors. Hope that clears it up!

Last edited by tyschoco; 05/17/22 04:57 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thank you Ted, Quinten,tyschoco and Marie. Ted, that was nicely put (you always use your words well smile ). Tyschco, yes, Sam played this piece beautifully a few recitals back. And thanks for mentioning the pedal... I've had a tough time with the pedal on the digital. Marie, I finally ended up with the stage. I'm using the Steinway D sound and like it.

12. Ted- Ted, I always find your pieces technically interesting but, and perhaps this is just my love of jazz improvisation, crave more of a "theme" that you would improvise on and run with. Does that make sence? Anyway, always an interesting listen.

17. Ido- I agree, I just love Chopin's waltzes. And your love of the piece comes out in your playing. Well done.

18. Lilypad- What a sweet little piece. You play it very, very well.

M
M
My first bactch:

01. Calavera - Forever Rachel
Charming, sensitive, well played.

04. QuentinP - WTK1 Fugue 1 C major
A very very difficult one, I am still trying to learn it, I know how difficult it really is. I appreciate your willingness to show all the inner phrasing and underline the main one, well done there. Maybe a tad faster and a little bit more “flowing”.

23. Kepijapa - Partita No.6 In E Minor, BWV 830, 2-3.
Allemande-Corrente
Very challenging but you cope with that beautifully, congratulations.

28. Rachtoven - Invention No. 8
Nice on a piece less easy than it seems, I like the synchronization of the two hands in the fast passages.

32. Agrajag - Sonata "Pathetique" Op. 13 - I
Well, not bad at all for such a difficult piece, well done on the left hand octaves. Others have more competently than me commented on your technique. I have only one more comment: 1 ½ years experience, really ?

Last edited by marklings; 05/17/22 07:58 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
19. Thepianoplayer 416- As always, such a delightful piece to listen to. You did great but probably need to work on "the flow" a little more. It sounds like it's almost there.

20. Snejana- I really like the overall theme. It truly does give one a feeling of dispair and hopelessnessand even has a slight Russian feel to it. I could see this playing as a backdrop to the frightening scenes we are seeing.

21. sandalholme- Very nice. I like how short and to the point these works are. Well done!

22. Flygbladet- I know nothing about online games but I hear this as just a very interesting, challenging piece. You play it with great command!!

A
A
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft

Ok, seeing this I had to have a look. Now, I will not be as nice as the other posters because I don't believe being nice is the purpose of the recital comments and you asked for critical comments so here you go.
No worries! I do value critique.

For example, the scalar passages are very uneven and you are twisting your elbow and turning your hand sideways, which is a big problem.
After reading this, I made a small adjustment by moving my body rather than my forearm, and the descending chromatic scale instantly became a lot smoother. I've come across all these details before, but I guess I don't internalize them unless I'm reminded once in a while, so thank you for that!

Another one is how you play the tremolos with your fingers only with no rotation. In general, you seem to be doing too much isolated finger movement and not enough supporting hand and arm movements.
This is another thing I need to remind myself of more often. It's worth mentioning that I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about getting injured. I can't label playing piano as a strenuous activity. If anything, it helps me recuperate from other things, since all the light movement serves to promote blood flow. But I guess this point also relates to the musical result, so I'll still be trying to remedy this.

Do you have a teacher?
I don't. This will never be more than a small hobby, so I'm not looking for one either.

but I seriously think you're doing yourself a disservice in the long term by playing such an advanced piece. You're just going to ingrain bad technique. You should really try to learn things more appropriate for your level.
I agree. Learning this definitely didn't feel productive. I could have learned 10 intermediate pieces in its place, while also playing them to a higher standard.

Just make sure you count in the grave section.
I actually did count when I started learning it. In fact, I thought I had this part under control. The excessive rubato (e.g. measure 9) quickly became apparent now that you've mentioned it. Some structure in my practice will hopefully clear this all up. 👍

S
S
A few comments to start..

01. Calavera - Forever Rachel completely new to me, but I loved this. The 'music box' opening really had me transfixed. Thanks

02. MarieJ - Luminous absolutely my kind of music and why I love his music. I felt you kept it beautifully dreamy throughout, and got the sound spot on. Thanks for playing this.

05. briangmoore - Chanson lovely gentle piece. A pleasure to listen to.

Hopefully several more to follow.
Thanks very much to tyschoco, peyton, ido and ted for your very kind comments.

Kawai ES920
A
A
Originally Posted by AndresVel
32. Agrajag - Sonata "Pathetique" Op. 13 - I Awesome effort and a lot of courage too for deciding to tackle this piece so early in your piano learning process. I think there a lot of good things in your recording already. You played it with a lot of musicality. A lot of dynamic variation and exploration, which I think is essential when practicing any piece. As you mention, it still requires some work. I have the impression that some sections still represent a big challenge technically speaking, specially when trying to bring out the piece up to tempo. I would recommend to focus on some of those aspects in case you are considering to continue working on this piece. I am not a teacher so I would not comment on those in detail. I would only mention one small thing that sort of caught my attention given the big chords one plays in this piece, and that is that that you could involve the wrists a bit more when playing them. This helps to join them and play them more legato and in that way to not depend so much on finger movement only. Another aspect I have been trying to focus on in these past months is to be able to play a piece to my satisfaction consistently, and not only sporadically. From my experience, recording these larger works is a challenge on its own, and really feeling you have the piece very well under your fingers helps with that process too. But this was overall a great submission! Keep up the hard work! your process is outstanding smile
I really appreciate your thoughtful comments. They're a highlight. smile

Learning this has certainly been a challenge. I have yet to decide how much effort I want to put into polishing it. I find it difficult to imagine being able to perform this piece consistently. Perhaps I'll just jump straight to a few intermediate pieces for a change of pace.

Originally Posted by marklings
I have only one more comment: 1 ½ years experience, really ?
Really.

I could elaborate on my background if you're curious. I've noticed some people like leaving out pertinent details, which in turn only leads to further skepticism toward quick learners. If the dislikes on my youtube channel are any indication, lots of people are skeptical of me as well, so I'll try to be thorough.

I have no previous experience with the piano, or anything resembling one. I make no distinction between serious and casual playing. I did however play guitar recreationally in my teens (I'm currently 30 years old). Music theory was not part of it. I used simple tablature to learn songs, and relied on muscle memory and my ears to play. If I couldn't find any tabs for any particular song, I would just transcribe them myself by listening and watching videos of the artists playing. https://i.imgur.com/9dIAjqy.png here's an example, just for perspective. I used to share these on ultimate-guitar.com, until they were swiftly removed, at least. I guess I'm saying this to convey that some musical aspects just come naturally to me.

I didn't grow up in a musical household. As far as I know, no one in my household or extended family even played an instrument.

I played lots of Guitar Hero in my teens. At a world-class level, I might add. I developed plenty of finger dexterity, speed and a sense of rhythm in those years.

Now I can only postulate at how these factors relate to piano, but I'd guess my guitar (hero) background, coupled with a naturally critical ear have given me a substantial headstart.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
12. Ted Jones - The Fourth Ace
Very interesting improvisation. I don't even know how i could pull off all these interesting harmonies and rhythms lol. Very nice musical material to listen to. I think the only critique is that some scale passages could sound a little more even. But that is a pretty tall order considering the nature of improvisation. Hope to hear more!

Thanks for listening, I am pleased you found something of interest. Your observation about evenness is acute. In this particular case a day's hard labour and resistance training probably roughened the finger work up a bit, but by and large I have come to doubt the effectiveness of the traditional ideals of legato and smoothness for idea generation in improvisation. You are also perceptive in that spontaneous playing allows no time to work out optimal fingerings for special positions. All one can do is accumulate a large array of playing forms which are generally applicable, turn things over to the unconscious and hope for the best.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Peyton
12. Ted- Ted, I always find your pieces technically interesting but, and perhaps this is just my love of jazz improvisation, crave more of a "theme" that you would improvise on and run with. Does that make sence? Anyway, always an interesting listen.

You make perfect sense. My teacher in my youth was a hugely accomplished professional of immense natural ability in both classical and jazz and my playing and compositions fifty years ago lay along the lines you mention. Around the age of fifty-five I had tired of the traditional modes of musical expression and decided I wanted something different for the later years of my life. Hearing the solo concerts of Jarrett triggered the notion that recorded free improvisation was a possibility. I didn't always like Jarrett's specific piano language but the idea that a recorded improvisation could constitute a permanent artistic end product, largely thanks to recent technology, was most appealing. Forty years ago I wrote and played little except lyric melodies, some of them are on the Pianoworld CD. Lyricism has never lost its charm.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Peregrine's Pianos in London UK
by tre corda - 08/12/22 04:19 AM
Chords in scales, arpeggios and chords
by Animisha - 08/12/22 02:55 AM
Roland FP10, use audio interface or use Pianoteq
by artsky - 08/12/22 02:32 AM
Dvorak Dumky Trio
by NightShade - 08/12/22 01:54 AM
Grieg String Quartet Op. 27 arr. 2 hands
by Tony Lu - 08/12/22 12:36 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,356
Posts3,215,631
Members106,065
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission