2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
D
Jameezy, You have two excellent pianos to choose from. Tough decision. What did you think of the Estonia pianos?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by probably blue
I need to show this to my family 🙃

They are worried about my ears but don’t understand anything I say. ITS NOT THAT LOUD!

Especially in a big room...

They even tried to convince me to get these earplugs.

At least they care 😉

The volume that is considered harmful long term is 85db over regular and extended period of time. You can just buy a db-meter and measure by yourself the average and peaks. What is loud or not is relative to each person perception and after a while you get used even to high volumes, so factual measurement will allow you to check that.

Once you have damaged your ears, its too late ....

Blüthner model 6
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar

They are worried about my ears but don’t understand anything I say. ITS NOT THAT LOUD!

At least they care 😉

The volume that is considered harmful long term is 85db over regular and extended period of time. You can just buy a db-meter and measure by yourself the average and peaks. What is loud or not is relative to each person perception and after a while you get used even to high volumes, so factual measurement will allow you to check that.

I will still be careful, I think I just need to echo treat the room. Waiting for rug delivery and furniture.
dB meter sounds good, I could use it for other stuff too.

Last edited by probably blue; 05/17/22 02:46 PM.
J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Estonia may be the one I hadn’t tried out in fact. I was interested, but for whatever reason I never got to one. There was one used one on Craigslist about a half hour from me, but I didn’t pursue it.

Just heard from my tech, he says the piano is in excellent condition and wouldn’t have any reservations about it. He actually said he wishes he had it himself LOL.

Gonna go for it! Should be able to get a good run with it. There is a lifetime trade up option too, so if in 10-15 years I want a more expensive new, big piano I already have a down payment Haha. Thanks to all who pitched in! This forum has been tremendously helpful if not for anything else than therapeutically bouncing some ideas around smile

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Jameezy
Wonderful news and great choice 😊. Be sure to post pics when it is delivered

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
yayayayayay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How exciting!

Also, great endorsement from your tech!

Keep us posted about delivery and what not! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Sadly I won’t be in the new house for another 6 weeks frown some serious delayed gratification

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ohh, that is a bit of a wait isn't it! Well, don't worry, we'll still be here when your piano arrives!

whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I’m genuinely glad you found a good piano! 😄

Funny how the Steinway, etc, went away but the C5 stayed!

I hope for a quick and safe delivery...

Also hope you stick around!

🙂🙂

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations on making the decision! I think you will be very happy with the piano. Sorry it will be a bit before it’s delivered.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Grand pianos have amazing kids. Keep the lid closed whenever you’re practicing and even a C5 won’t be too loud.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
j&j #3217117 05/17/22 08:42 PM
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Grand pianos have amazing kids. Keep the lid closed whenever you’re practicing and even a C5 won’t be too loud.

Amazing lids. Darn spellcheck.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
C
C
I'm so happy for you. Yamaha makes great pianos.

At least they care 😉

I was recently worrying about this with my Bosendorfer 225. I could swear I have noticed some ringing in my ears since I got it. One thing about high-quality audio stuff that I've heard mentioned (one of the bad things), including instruments, is that you can't always tell how loud it is. The distortion you hear is often what lets you know when something is too loud (that hurts your ears), and good quality equipment doesn't distort much, even at high volumes. So your ears might be ringing after you've been listening or whatever, since it didn't sound as loud to you. You might find yourself playing louder than before, since the sound quality is so clear. It depends on how loud you play, of course. Sometimes I'll play really loudly (like, as loud as it will go), and I think that's just not the best idea if you have a big piano. I suspect it can cause hearing damage if you do enough of it.

The lid is really good if you want to get some stress out and play your loudest (or not worry about accidentally going too loud just casually). But you should be able to get plenty of volume from a grand without having to put all your strength into it. In theory I think full stick practice is probably okay as long as you aren't going nuts with the volume. You might need to go half stick or closed lid if you're going to be hitting max volume on a grand piano. They can be loud.

Anyway, congrats! That's really cool. I bet you'll love the piano.

Last edited by chromaticvortex; 05/17/22 09:00 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chromaticvortex
I'm so happy for you. Yamaha makes great pianos.

At least they care 😉

I was recently worrying about this with my Bosendorfer 225. I could swear I have noticed some ringing in my ears since I got it. One thing about high-quality audio stuff that I've heard mentioned (one of the bad things), including instruments, is that you can't always tell how loud it is. The distortion you hear is often what lets you know when something is too loud (that hurts your ears), and good quality equipment doesn't distort much, even at high volumes. So your ears might be ringing after you've been listening or whatever, since it didn't sound as loud to you. You might find yourself playing louder than before, since the sound quality is so clear. It depends on how loud you play, of course. Sometimes I'll play really loudly (like, as loud as it will go), and I think that's just not the best idea if you have a big piano. I suspect it can cause hearing damage if you do enough of it.

The lid is really good if you want to get some stress out and play your loudest (or not worry about accidentally going too loud just casually). But you should be able to get plenty of volume from a grand without having to put all your strength into it. In theory I think full stick practice is probably okay as long as you aren't going nuts with the volume. You might need to go half stick or closed lid if you're going to be hitting max volume on a grand piano. They can be loud.

Anyway, congrats! That's really cool. I bet you'll love the piano.
Only 5’5”. I just need to echo treat the room I think.

I normally do fly lid open and music desk. Main lid is closed.

I don’t play loud TBH.

j&j #3217129 05/17/22 10:02 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by j&j

When I read this at first, I thought it meant keep the lid closed so the kids don’t mess around.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Congrats! Yamaha C5 is an excellent choice!

I. Bruton
Acoustic Pianos at home: Yamaha C3, Yamaha P22
Digitals at home: Yamaha P125, Roland RD-800, Kawai Novus N5S
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Yeah the lid positions on a grand, especially on a large grand give the pianist great sound with volume control. Check out all the suggested lid positions before adding anything for audio control. Also, prescription ear plugs (who knew) can offer relief from ringing in the ears. Try the easy stuff first. There are tons of suggestions on this Forum and also in Larry Fine’s Piano Buyer’s Book. Best Wishes!

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
J
Jameezy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Just to go back to original question I had, final price was just under $26k, after tax $27.5k. The original listing was $29k plus tax (original post was already after some negotiation), so $3k off listing at least. Was hoping for a little lower but he wouldn’t budge any more, and I just want the piano at this point haha. Also, I think local market here is a little higher than what I’ve seen in other places online. For what it’s worth my tech thought it was fairly priced.

I second all regarding hearing protection. My first instrument was drums, after playing without ear protection in rock bands throughout high school and going to a lot of concerts, I have learned the hard way, as I already have slight hearing loss in one ear. Take it seriously.

Thanks again to all who’ve chipped in on here!

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by j&j

When I read this at first, I thought it meant keep the lid closed so the kids don’t mess around.

That too. We have a few friends that have to fiddle with things when they talk. The piano lid remains closed whenever they come over. I don’t know how these people ever made adulthood. Don’t touch other people’s stuff.

Last edited by j&j; 05/18/22 09:39 AM.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
j&j #3217223 05/18/22 10:06 AM
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by j&j
That too. We have a few friends that have to fiddle with things when they talk. The piano lid remains closed whenever they come over. I don’t know how these people ever made adulthood. Don’t touch other people’s stuff.

Do they reach into the piano and pluck the strings??

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission