2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
D
Originally Posted by SouthPark
In the above - I'm not referring to Lara6683, who is very successful. I'm referring to people that actually don't have the same privileges as others.

May I politely ask what is the relevance of 'Lara6683' in this conversation? I hear you mentioning this person in your posts everywhere. On youtube she strikes me as a perfectly capable but hardly remarkable keyboard player.

Last edited by DeckardWill; 05/19/22 04:48 AM.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for your post PG. Excellent post. And totally agree with your views too. Thanks for sharing the information about the choices taken, and this pathway that allows you to handle the situation, and still able to enjoy playing the piano. Hoping the inflammation condition improves with more treatment. All the best PG!

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by DeckardWill
May I politely ask what is the relevance of 'Lara6683' in this conversation? I hear you mentioning this person in your posts everywhere. On youtube she strikes me as a perfectly capable but hardly remarkable keyboard player.

May I ask you politely in return if you're much more capable than her in piano skills? Sure, I can answer you. The point is ..... she plays the piano extremely well. She has particular talents. Gifted. And she demonstrates remarkable piano playing and musical skills ..... and she makes one of her pianos ... a P-255 ... really shine. So basically ..... the point is ... one absolutely does not require an 'acoustic' piano key mechanism or mechanical hammers or acoustic piano sound to make awesome and beautiful music. But this is about one piano type versus another.

D
D
The point is ..... she plays the piano extremely well. She has particular talents. Gifted. And she demonstrates remarkable piano playing and musical skills ..... and she makes one of her pianos ... a P-255 ... really shine. So basically ..... the point is ... one absolutely does not require an 'acoustic' piano key mechanism or mechanical hammers or acoustic piano sound to make awesome and beautiful music. But this is about one piano type versus another.

Specifically though this thread is about hybrid pianos and their closeness to an acoustic. She does not play a hybrid so again, not sure she has particular relevance to this subject matter.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Specifically though this thread is about hybrid pianos and their closeness to an acoustic. She does not play a hybrid so again, not sure she has particular relevance to this subject matter.

It is also about the words 'real thing' ..... referring to the title. As can be seen from the examples of Lara6683 and other people like her ...... acoustic 'action' ..... unnecessary for great music.

But ..... already mentioned ... just in case, once again ..... whatever somebody chooses to buy ... that is fine. As long as they're fine with it, then that's great. Although, it's ok to point out that you don't actually require acoustic 'action' for a heap of piano music playing. That's about it really.

Will ... just replying to your comment in the 'next' post. It's not deleted. The reference was merely an example for you to take in.

D
D
I see that your last post has been deleted SouthPark.

May I politely suggest that if you want to talk about 'Lara6683', you create a thread specifically about her? So that hybrid owners and potential hybrid buyers can discuss the subject matter. Thank you.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by SpithPark
It is also about the words 'real thing' ..... referring to the title.

I see this pop in other domains...and I'm not the OP but I would suggest not reading too much or too metaphorically into "real thing." It doesn't mean digital pianos are incapable of making music or that the people who play them are not real musicians.

The fact is, a digital piano (including hybrids) have a mission, to emulate an acoustic piano as closely as possible. Their sound engines, their keys, their action and pedals, speaker placement, everything is based on, aimed to, measured against, compared to, marketed as, and in the case of hybrids even taken directly from, acoustic pianos. I don't think it's derogatory in the thread title to refer to acoustic pianos as "the real thing," in the sense that this is what the hybrid is striving to emulate.

She has particular talents. Gifted. And she demonstrates remarkable piano playing and musical skills ..... and she makes one of her pianos ... a P-255 ... really shine.

Pardon the aside, but I've never seen Lara with a P255. I think she plays a P-155 (not that it makes any difference)? Talented artists can make any instrument shine. Again, nobody is saying you need a hybrid or acoustic in order to play virtuosically, or to take advantage of aphasia, perfect pitch or a gift to play by ear.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
May I politely suggest that if you want to talk about 'Lara6683', you create a thread specifically about her? So that hybrid owners and potential hybrid buyers can discuss the subject matter. Thank you.

I disagree and would be a lot more tolerant. As Gombessa says, the thread title is unlikely meant in a derogatory way, but on the other hand it isn't strange either that someone highlights that not only acoustic pianos are real. Especially not on a digital forum, with lots of people playing music on digital pianos.

Why would only hybrid owners and potential hybrid buyers allowed to say something in a thread like this? I welcome opinions especially if they are motivated. Isn't interesting to see how many people would advice *not* to buy a hybrid as a grand piano replacement and for what reasons? Or why hybrids exist at all? The OP can always decide to weigh in this info or not. I don't see the point of telling people who have an honest opinion/contribution to go away. If this line of thinking was prevalent I would read almost no threads.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Pardon the aside, but I've never seen Lara with a P255. I think she plays a P-155 (not that it makes any difference)? Talented artists can make any instrument shine. Again, nobody is saying you need a hybrid or acoustic in order to play virtuosically, or to take advantage of aphasia, perfect pitch or a gift to play by ear.

Just double-checked. It is the P-155 that she uses. I put in 255 .... but should be 155. The 155 model came before the 255. It's true. My responses were about the 'real thing' words in the title. And also adding. I know that you and I could make the 155 sound great. Although ..... I definitely haven't got absolute pitch and that particular mental music processing power.

D
D
On hybrid pianos vs, acoustic pianos...

OP, our experience is that the hybrid does provide a step closer to the realism of an acoustic, but not to the extent that a hybrid can be considered a flawless substitute for a real acoustic.

Sensors at the end of a real action is a great compromise but won't give an identical experience to an acoustic in terms of connection to the instrument.

Same with pedals, same with the sound reproduction.

Hybrids are absolutely a worthy consideration though providing you try them first (if you can) and have realistic expectations.

pianogabe - I am not trying to be difficult. It's simply that I have been following various recent posts from users and prospective buyers, and references from this user on this particular youtuber appear to crop up on all of them, where really it isn't adding anything in furthering the conversation.

There are other threads more suitable for sharing videos of people we like without leading topics off course, is all.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I know that you and I could make the 155 sound great.

I snorted. Maybe YOU can! But I would probably make a Borgata Grand Prix beg for the junkyard after 2 pathetic minutes 🤣

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I would love to see an objective Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro comparsion P-155 review by you Gombessa! laugh

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I snorted. Maybe YOU can! But I would probably make a Borgata Grand Prix beg for the junkyard after 2 pathetic minutes 🤣

hahaha! Such modesty! Thumbs up!

Originally Posted by pianogabe
I would love to see an objective Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro comparsion P-155 review by you Gombessa! laugh

haha PG! There's golng to be too much bias in that review. But jokes aside. It is really nice in that everybody is enjoying the piano playing with the variety of absolutely wonderful instruments out there.

Originally Posted by deafital
Nice said. Especially the first sentence. Although, the best action I personally did experience was that of the Yamaha NU1X. ;-)

Another nice thing is that you can’t make a hard separation in your experience, between action and sound.

+100

Also noticed that your upcoming one is the NU1X. Excellent in that you found that you personally really liked a particular action in an instrument that you encountered. That's going to be so nice! Fantastic sound, plus an action you like - very nice combination indeed.

+101

Nobody has to be offended or take it for the truth, if I say when I did look upwards the nv10 showed the n1x it’s tail.

Your “ There is no need at all to work towards acoustic action. ” also applies for grand action versus upright action.

However I see room for a lighter upright touch, with modified mechanics, accommodating some nv10 candidates. ‘NU3X’

Yamaha NU1X PE digipi. CLP-725 WH as a 2nd one @mylove. Dead Roland D5 synth.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by deafital
However I see room for a lighter upright touch, with modified mechanics, accommodating some nv10 candidates. ‘NU3X’

+100. There is room indeed for that. It's awesome how the design teams work toward providing instruments that accommodate everybody.

Also ... for the NU1X ... yamaha came up with a nice firmware fix for the surprise 'loud' note issue that surfaced sometimes, which wasn't really acceptable. You probably know about that one already. They got a solid fix for it which is nice. Maybe nobody knows that the history is about that issue (although non-issue now, as there's the fix for it) ------ but would be extremely interesting if anybody from the 'rigorous' testing department actually encountered that issue during the rigorous testing phase for that particular hybrid piano.

For my P-515 (non hybrid) - I was actually surprised with one unsatisfactory behaviour, where the one-button push recording mode really does start recording our playing once we begin to play (which beings in the automatic paused recording mode). But the note (sound) from the very first key strike is very noticeably delayed, while all succeeding keys pushed there-after is all fine. So a 'slightly' poor effort from the 'rigorous' testing department. Not a major issue though, as a work-around is to just hit one more button to start recording in 'unpaused' mode. So no real drama overall. Maybe yamaha will have an update sometime in the future (nobody knows for sure though for a fix). But at least they really put out a software fix for the previously unacceptable issue with the NU1X hybrid.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Also ... for the NU1X ... yamaha came up with a nice firmware fix for the surprise 'loud' note issue that surfaced sometimes, which wasn't really acceptable. You probably know about that one already. They got a solid fix for it which is nice. Maybe nobody knows that the history is about that issue (although non-issue now, as there's the fix for it) ------ but would be extremely interesting if anybody from the 'rigorous' testing department actually encountered that issue during the rigorous testing phase for that particular hybrid piano.

I think the answer to that is clearly yes, during testing of the NU1X, during testing of the prior generation NU1, and even years before the NU1 was ever released, or even conceived.

The NU1 and NU1X manual expressly call out the loud note issue, saying that:

When playing the same key repeatedly and quickly or playing a trill continuously for a long time, a sound louder than expected (considering your playing strength) might very occassionally occur. This might be caused by the mechanical structure of the keys and the action; this is normal, but only very seldom occurs. - NU1 manual, page 31

And way, way before the development of the NU1, in fact back in 1997, Yamaha's own patent for an optical hammer sensor calls out the limitations that begat this feature:

The first monitoring system includes key sensors respectively provided for the black and white keys of the keyboard, and each of the key sensors detects the associated key moved between a rest position and an end position at more than one point. The detecting points are spaced apart by a predetermined distance, and reports the detections at the points to a data processor forming a part of the tone generator. The data processor calculates a key velocity, and estimates the intensity of the impact and the impact timing

However, the first monitoring system encounters a problem in fidelity of the electronic sounds. This is because of the fact that the key motion represented by the key velocity does not correspond to the hammer motion at all times.

For example, if a player mincingly repeats a key across the detecting points, the acoustic tones are not loud due to the short stroke. However, the key velocity is so large that tone generator tailors the audio signal representing a loud sound. The electronic sound is too loud, and the player wonders the loud electronic sound.

As discovered by former member Cybergene a few years back.

Yamaha was well aware of the limitations of a key-only sensor system from the beginning. And they actually have an upright hammer sensor....they just....don't use it on their upright hybrid???

I used the fixed firmware for the NU1, and can confirm that it doesn't 100% fix the loud note issue (it's impossible that it could do so). A 100% fix requires using a hammer sensor.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks gombessa. Excellent post and most excellent information!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
In the above - I'm not referring to Lara6683, who is very successful. I'm referring to people that actually don't have the same privileges as others.

I’ve seen the same thing, and I’ve felt the same way. Having seen some of her Youtube videos upon recommendation, I would not consider her a remarkable keyboard player or even a remarkably gifted musician. There are many on Youtube and in real life who do what she does & do it better. She’s had the good sense to market herself to the Twitch & Youtube audience that likes her aesthetic & are willing to pay to see her play/hear her renditions of pop songs & video game/anime/tv/movie/cartoon songs. If you like that, wonderful, and she deserves kudos for her branding & advertising ability. However, I certainly wouldn’t lift her as a standard if the conversation is whether or not people can use digitals the same way they use acoustics, simply because she doesn’t possess the best technique or musical talent in her field/genre, & complexity of performance is the defining factor that separates acoustics from digitals. Popularity doesn’t always translate to the measure of one’s talent. Unless a person has an extremely virtuosic technique & high level of musicianship and prefers digitals, then they shouldn’t be lifted as a response to the claim that digitals don’t allow for the complexity that acoustics do.

- And just in general:

I must also say that I don’t understand the vitriol to this topic, & the resulting unnecessary crusade by people who prefer digitals to acoustics. Pretending offense at the suggestion that acoustics are “the real thing” is an illogical stance. The bottom line is that, at this point, hybrid pianos & digital pianos are still built to emulate the acoustic instrument. When you look at how Yamaha, Kawai, Casio, & Roland build & even advertise their digitals, it is based on their ability to replicate the experience of a real acoustic instrument, e.g. GrandTouch, GrandFeel, hybrid actions, samples of top-tier acoustics, and even emulation of the look of acoustics. To pretend that they are not modeled after acoustics, and to act as if acoustics aren’t, thus, “the real thing” is an odd hill. (And digital pianos/hybrids are different from stage pianos, synthesizers, etc.)

There also seems to be this glaring straw man response. People are acting as if those of us who point out that acoustics are superior *for certain genres* are somehow suggesting that you can’t make “amazing” & “beautiful” music on a digital, and using that intentional misrepresentation & glaring distortion of our position as some rallying cry to push digitals as equal in all capacities. But the discussion was never about the ability to create “amazing” or “beautiful” music. The statement was that acoustics are *superior for certain genres*. Those points are not the same. The fact is there are some genres of music for which digitals do not surpass acoustics at matching the musical intent of a performer. And erasing/ignoring that by saying “ oh well it works for what I like so that means it’s perfect” is fallacious.

If the actions in a digital suffice for the genre of music you like, but *don’t* suffice for all genres, then it is still imperfect, because it doesn’t work for everything, whereas an acoustic does. And if even with the assistance of virtual instruments that offer hundreds of velocity layers, highest quality sound, and GBs upon GBs of data, the sound quality of a digital still doesn’t surpass that of an acoustic *in certain genres*, then it is still imperfect. Anything you can do on a digital piano (hybrid or otherwise) you can do on an acoustic, but the same simply is not true in reverse. On an acoustic, you can play anything from the prohibitively complex classical works of Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Beethoven, Alkan, Scriabin, & Prokofiev & the finger-busting virtuoso classic jazz arrangements of Art Tatum & Thelonious Monk to the triads, powerchords, & floating harmonies of modern music. You cannot exceptionally play extraordinarily complex music of *any* genre on a digital, with the same sonic quality and ease of performance that you can get on an acoustic. And erasing the experiences of people who perform genres of music for which digitals are not sufficient in an attempt to push the point that digitals are equal is false logic. Lara on Youtube may be able to do the genre of music she does on a digital, but those who play music with more complex technical requirements or more complex musical requirements still recognize that digitals can only approximate an acoustic, ***IF YOUR GOAL IS AN AUTHENTIC PIANO SOUND***.

These glaring omissions of fact, straw man misinterpretations/distortions, & the imagined insult simply by highlighting the realities of acoustics vs. digitals are odd. The highlighting of the perceived weaknesses of acoustics and the glossing over of the weaknesses of digitals is odd. The minimization of people’s experiences, even going as far as to deny people’s ability to differentiate between digitals & acoustics, despite what they say, is odd. And the forceful steering of the topic toward digital supremacy, when the OP was very clear in their feeling, their preference, and their question is odd. So I’m not quite sure that it is those who hold acoustics as the standard who’ve been “intolerant”, thus far, in this thread.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Taushi
So I’m not quite sure that it is those who hold acoustics as the standard who’ve been “intolerant”, thus far, in this thread.

Not sure if this is in response to my post, but since I asked for more tolerance: that had nothing to do with opinions on acoustics vs digitals vs hybrids. This was about who can participate in the thread.

On the topic itself: in my opinion if your goal is to get an authentic piano sound, which you mention, my answer is that DPs and hybrids are "not very close". The sound is less close than that of good VSTs, and the difference between the best VSTs and acoustic sound is also still substantial.

The OP's question was how close it "feels", and then it depends on what you mean with "feel". Touch (as in force on your fingers) is identical for a hybrid because the action is an acoustic action. However, it has been pointed out that you can't fully separate that component of feeling with the component of hearing. The brain mixes different modalities in one experience. And so the sound produced has an effect on how an action feels.

Of further relevance, but not often mentioned, is that the latency between key press movement and sound generation on a hybrid (and DP) may be different than on an acoustic, and thus influences how the action feels. I quantified this on my upright silent piano, which you can see as a hybrid NV5 with only headphone output and an acoustic K300 in one piano. It turns out that the hybrid part has overall a shorter key movement-sound latency than the acoustic part. Also, latency does not scale in the same way with key velocity. On the acoustic component latency scales more strongly with key velocity than is the case on the hybrid component.

Whether or not this leads to a feeling that is close enough is subjective. Personally I think a hybrid is a perfect solution for people who want an acoustic action for whatever reason, but who can almost never play acoustically because of neighbors etc. But I would not buy it as a replacement for an acoustic grand because you can't find a suitable grand on the current market. I would be more patient and wait until you do find a nice grand piano.

D
D
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Originally Posted by Taushi
So I’m not quite sure that it is those who hold acoustics as the standard who’ve been “intolerant”, thus far, in this thread.

Not sure if this is in response to my post, but since I asked for more tolerance: that had nothing to do with opinions on acoustics vs digitals vs hybrids. This was about who can participate in the thread.

My post wasn't really intolerant, though, was it? I was merely pointing out that a user has been posting the same thing on several different threads with links to a keyboard player whose output bears absolutely no relevance to the points being discussed, and that perhaps there are more suitable places to talk about and promote her.

I don't know what the rules are on this forum, but do know that on many that would be considered 'spam' and the user would be asked to stick to the topic. This has nothing to do with tolerance or intolerance.

Last edited by DeckardWill; 05/20/22 02:56 AM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission