2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (bob@pei, 36251, accordeur, 80k, anotherscott, brennbaer, 14 invisible), 3,445 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3217514 05/19/22 09:27 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I was surprised to read in the thread about Chopin's Sonata #3 that there are 300 recordings of this piece. I don't know whether that means currently available or all the recordings going back to the dawn of recordings or where that poster got the 300 figure.

Does anyone know what piece has been recorded more than any other? My guess is this is not possible to know, but if that's the case, what your guess of the most recorded piece(by professionals)?

I can't imagine this is the most recorded piece. I have to think one of the famous Beethoven sonatas or Chopin pieces. It's definitely not possible to know and it's also difficult to define "professional" nowadays since even amateurs can add their recordings to Spotify.

Working On:
Bach BWV 870
Beethoven Op. 90
Schubert Op. 90 No. 3
Chopin Op. 31 and Op. 10 No. 3
B
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
......where that poster got the 300 figure.
I don't either smirk , but what I can say about BBC Radio 3's Record Review program is that reviewers, until about 15 years ago, used to talk about every recording (of the piece under discussion) currently available in the UK - i.e. CDs available to order from record shops, but not deleted ones.

Since then, of course, one can get long-deleted CDs (and LPs) quite easily, not to mention downloads of ancient recordings which have never been on CD, so reviewers have hundreds, if not thousands, of recordings to choose from, with popular pieces (popular classical, that is).

In fact, I'm sure there are far more recordings of Beethoven's 5th (symphony or Emperor, not the dog) than of Chopin's 3rd that have been recorded since, er, the age of recording.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I believe I said that. I just looked at the available CDs that you can order today. Now there are a number of duplicates as some recordings are also included in compilations and other cases like this. Some pianists recorded the same piece 2 or 3 times, which I count as separate versions. On the other hand it does not take into account old recordings that arent anymore officially on a catalog today nor all the various versions recorded during live concerts which are not commercially sold.

That said, I dont think there are stats that gives that sort of data. But surely the 5th or the 9th symphony have probably been recorded much more often. Other contender would be some of Beethoven most famous sonatas, like the moonlight.

Blüthner model 6
OP Offline
I am hoping some posters will give their guess about which piano pieces have been recorded the most. Here are a few of mine that are just guesses. I think they would also be on a list of most commonly appearing on recital programs.
Beethoven: Pathetique, Moonlight, Appassionata, Waldstein, Op. 109-111

Chopin: Preludes, Etudes, Sonata No.3, Nocturne Op. 48 No.1, many others so it's too hard to decide

Liszt:Sonata

Schubert: D. 360, Impromptus

Schumann: Fantasie, Kinderscenen, Kreisleriana

Ravel:Gaspard

Debussy: Preludes Book 1

Prokoviev: Sonatas 6-8

Bach-Busoni: Chaconne

Scriabin: Sonatas 3,4,5,9

B
B
Schubert: D. 360,
I'd say definitely not these wink .

The Pathétique, Moonlight and Appassionata would easily top the list, because any pianist who plays Beethoven and has made records will have recorded them. And almost all pianists - even "Chopin pianists" - play Beethoven. (There was a time when you were either a Chopin pianist or a Beethoven pianist, and ne'er the twain shall meet......)

There are actually not many pianists who have recorded (or even played) Gaspard, despite its unfearsome reputation. I remember there was a Record Review program less than 20 years ago, in which all available recordings (then CD only, no downloads) were considered in the 45-minute program. The winner was a then-unknown Frenchman called Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, playing a period 1901 Steinway on an obscure German record label. I wonder what's happened to him since........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Nominating Chopin Polonaise Op.53. Even "non-Chopinists" like Berman and Brendel recorded it.

Soli Chopin gloria
OP Offline
Originally Posted by bennevis
I meant D. 960 which has around 140 CDs listed on Amazon. I agree about the Scriabin. If one was asking which Scriabin was most recorded, I may be correct, but that was not the question. On Amazon there are 148 CDs listed for Gaspard.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/19/22 07:07 PM.
B
B
It's strange how a thread can jog a long-forgotten memory from one's childhood. (In my case, nearly a century ago whistle).

The first time I heard the triptych of Pathétique, Moonlight and Appassionata was as a spotty teenager, while staying with my uncle's family (who are all musical, and all kids learning piano), on a cassette tape, played by an organist - Daniel Chorzempa.

When I finally had my own pocket money, I bought the same sonatas on cassette - played by Kempff, then Ashkenazy, then Backhaus, then Brendel, then Arrau, then.....

As I said, everyone (and their grandfather) was recording that trilogy even a century ago.......

P.S. Even the late Radu Lupu subsequently got in on the act, except that he substituted the Waldstein for the Appassionata. I don't think he recorded any other Beethoven sonatas.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by bennevis
I meant D. 960 which has around 140 CDs listed on Amazon. I agree about the Scriabin. If one was asking which Scriabin was most recorded, I may be correct, but that was not the question. On Amazon there are 148 CDs listed for Gaspard.

You can look at this one.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/works/59151--ravel-gaspard-de-la-nuit/browse

Looking at the list is interesting. I did not know for example that Hewitt has recorded all Ravel solo piano music. And Lisitsa just released a CD of Ravel and Rachmaninoff with Naive.

Blüthner model 6
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sidokar
On Amazon there are 148 CDs listed for Gaspard.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/works/59151--ravel-gaspard-de-la-nuit/browse
But many CDs on that list do not appear to contain Gaspard. It's hard to get a definitive list there or on Amazon(which seems to have many repeats.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sidokar
On Amazon there are 148 CDs listed for Gaspard.
But many CDs on that list do not appear to contain Gaspard. It's hard to get a definitive list there or on Amazon(which seems to have many repeats.

Normally they do, it is just that it does not appear in the title. You have to click on full detail to get the list of titles. Like Doyen, thats a compilation of various pieces and Gaspard is in there. The CDs should be unique but there are repeats in the compilations. I guess you can take out 20 or 25 pct and that would give an approximate number. Anyway it is just indicative. But that does not count all the cds that have retired.

Blüthner model 6
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think you have to include Tchaikovsky Pno. Conc. No. 1, Rach 2, maybe Mozart D Minor or K. 467, in this.

Claire de lune, Arabesque No. 1, Moonlight (1st mvt.); Chopin Op. 9, No. 2; Für Elise, Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, etc. Recorded "encore pieces."

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
T
T
I would image the most popular pieces by Beethoven & Chopin. They’ve always been super popular, and now it’s practically sacrilegious for a pianist to not beat us over the head with as much Beethoven & Chopin as they can find.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bösendorfer 225 from the Chromatic Vortex
by James Gordon - 06/27/22 06:03 PM
Replacing fallboard decal
by Acceber - 06/27/22 03:44 PM
Your "Best Digital Piano" Opinion Requested
by IraBob - 06/27/22 02:18 PM
Yamaha rant
by WTF Bach - 06/27/22 01:58 PM
Crowdsourcing Fingerings and Solutions
by Papa D - 06/27/22 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,698
Posts3,203,780
Members105,659
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission