2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (AJB, axomas, BobTB, Andrew E., brdwyguy, aphexdisklavier, Animisha, 8 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S
Hello all!

I am looking for a piano for my (exciting) boys to learn the piano. I found two local listings:
1. A 1990 Yamaha G2
2. A 2001 Yamaha C1

Both are from the first owner. And both are listing as 8k usd. Could someone please chime in and provide some insights which is better?

Here is my thoughts:
G2: larger, and in theory better tone.
C1: newer and a little bit higher-tier piano. Per my reading this forum, it MIGHT have a slightly better actions.

Any input is much appreciated!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sheng123
Hello all!

I am looking for a piano for my (exciting) boys to learn the piano. I found two local listings:
1. A 1990 Yamaha G2
2. A 2001 Yamaha C1

Both are from the first owner. And both are listing as 8k usd. Could someone please chime in and provide some insights which is better?

Here is my thoughts:
C1: newer and a little bit higher-tier piano. Per my reading this forum, it MIGHT have a slightly better actions.

I think you've pretty much answered your own questions. smile

Since both are the same price, (not sure if private sale or dealer) I'd look at both, and see which one I liked the best, and have a tech inspect that one prior to closing the sale. Also, in my view, condition usually trumps age, as a general rule.

I do agree that the G2 could have a richer sound than the C1 due to its size, despite the age difference. And, from what I've read here and else where over the years, I don't think the build quality differences between the G series and the C series Yamahas are all that huge. So, either piano would probably be a safe bet.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I generally agree with Rick, above. Also double check the actual ages with a serial number on Yamaha’s own site. Sometimes sellers “embellish” the truth by a couple of decades, one way or the other…

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Sheng123 again!

You posted the clicking noise right? Is this the same G2? 🙂
Have you noticed anything on the C1?

Your two boys don’t know how to play yet? It’s cool that they will get a grand. (if you pick one of these) 😁

Rick,
Sheng123 knows quite a bit from their thread in the tech forum, they already know and will get an inspection!

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
I generally agree with Rick, above. Also double check the actual ages with a serial number on Yamaha’s own site. Sometimes sellers “embellish” the truth by a couple of decades, one way or the other…
I agree 👍

It is good you are reading around to get the best piano for your two boys!

I hope you get a good piano! 🎹

Last edited by probably blue; 05/23/22 02:35 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Rickster
Hello all!

1. A 1990 Yamaha G2
2. A 2001 Yamaha C1

Here is my thoughts:

I think you've pretty much answered your own questions. smile

Since both are the same price, (not sure if private sale or dealer) I'd look at both, and see which one I liked the best, and have a tech inspect that one prior to closing the sale. Also, in my view, condition usually trumps age, as a general rule.

I do agree that the G2 could have a richer sound than the C1 due to its size, despite the age difference. And, from what I've read here and else where over the years, I don't think the build quality differences between the G series and the C series Yamahas are all that huge. So, either piano would probably be a safe bet.

Good luck!

Rick

Thanks Rick! Both come from private sellers.

If build quality is similar for G2 and C1, assuming they are in similar condition (will check in person), G2 seems a better choice for richer sound.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have a C2 (same length as the G2) that was 20 y/o when I bought it.

Having played some G1s (which I believe are the same size as the C1), I don't think I would choose that shorter piano over the 5'8" length.

Of course condition is everything, so you should look into hiring a tech to inspect the G2... Are the pianos close (i.e., in the same town)? If you could have the piano tech inspect both, I think that would be ideal.

Also, this is a question for everyone in this thread, but what are the differences between the G-series and the C-series? I think I knew at one time, but I've forgotten! whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the reminder! I checked the serial number to determine its age. Both are for US market (I do not care about the grey market piano though...)

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
what are the differences between the G-series and the C-series? I think I knew at one time, but I've forgotten! whome

I recall reading that this can depend on year? E.g., later G-series are closer to early C-Series, and can be more dislike earlier Gs than the C's? Things like plate cross-beams and plate-rim wood screws versus bolts, and soundboard finishing?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
C
C
Hmm...The C1 is definitely worth more, just in terms of market value. So I'd look for reasons why the C1 (in ideal condition) might be the better and more sought-after piano (listen and play both carefully, etc -- it is a higher tier, and it's newer as well).

Size difference aside, the market favors the C1 by a fairly wide margin. At $8K, that would be a very good price. You can see them posted all over online starting at more like $15K and going up. The price on the G2 seems fairly consistent with what you'd expect to see.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by probably blue
Hi Sheng123 again!

Your two boys don’t know how to play yet? It’s cool that they will get a grand. (if you pick one of these) 😁

Rick,
Sheng123 knows quite a bit from their thread in the tech forum, they already know and will get an inspection!

I agree 👍

Hi Probably-Blue :-)

Yes, I posted the clicking noise for this G2. I am still waiting for a reply from the C1 seller (the listing was created hours ago).

The two boys has nearly zero knowledge so far. So do I :-) I chatted with two piano teachers. Both preferred a grand over upright. Then limited by my budge, I am looking for an used one. (PS: thanks for the input in both posts cool)

I originally focus on Kawai and Yamaha. But I was told in general Kawai is heavier in actions. So I switched to looking for a Yamaha grand in 1980s or newer.

S
OP Offline
S

Having played some G1s (which I believe are the same size as the C1), I don't think I would choose that shorter piano over the 5'8" length.

Of course condition is everything, so you should look into hiring a tech to inspect the G2... Are the pianos close (i.e., in the same town)? If you could have the piano tech inspect both, I think that would be ideal.

Also, this is a question for everyone in this thread, but what are the differences between the G-series and the C-series? I think I knew at one time, but I've forgotten! whome

Thanks for the reminder! Yes, I will surely bring a piano technician to inspect before putting any cash for purchase. Unfortunately they are not very close. 1+ hours driving distance.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by chromaticvortex
Hmm...The C1 is definitely worth more, just in terms of market value. So I'd look for reasons why the C1 (in ideal condition) might be the better and more sought-after piano (listen and play both carefully, etc -- it is a higher tier, and it's newer as well).

Size difference aside, the market favors the C1 by a fairly wide margin. At $8K, that would be a very good price. You can see them posted all over online starting at more like $15K and going up. The price on the G2 seems fairly consistent with what you'd expect to see.

As I said, I just started looking around for a piano. So I might be wrong about the fair market price :-) But I see a posting in my area for 1984 Yamaha C3 for 13k. I also remember a few C1/C2 with disklavier around 10k to 13k. They look nice, while out of my budge... That said, I can feel that the market seems to favor C-serials a little bit more.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Good luck in your search!

If I can say one thing, I've found "people say" to be notoriously unreliable and contradictorily, especially when it comes to perceptions of action feel. You see poeple saying Petrof is light and Yamaha is heavy, that Kawai is featherweight and Steinway drives like a truck....and in the next thread it's entirely the opposite. And the feeling can be entirely different between pianos of different sizes and tiers (a GC1 feels nothing like a C7X). Add a couple dozen years of use and wear, and in the used market there are zero conclusions you can draw from generalities, imho.

FWIW, I got a Kawai over a Yamaha specifically because the action in the Kawai felt lighter and smoother.

I think you shouldn't cross any mfg off your list because of what someone says of action weight. If you find a GL, GE or RX in your price range, it would probably be well worth your time to try it out. The action/key feel might surprise you!

Also, who said a heavier action is objectively any worse? smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the reminder! Yes, I will surely bring a piano technician to inspect before putting any cash for purchase. Unfortunately they are not very close. 1+ hours driving distance.

Have you tried PTG.org for a tech? You can search by zip code

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by probably blue
Hi Sheng123 again!

Rick,

I agree 👍

Hi Probably-Blue :-)

Yes, I posted the clicking noise for this G2. I am still waiting for a reply from the C1 seller (the listing was created hours ago).

The two boys has nearly zero knowledge so far. So do I :-) I chatted with two piano teachers. Both preferred a grand over upright. Then limited by my budge, I am looking for an used one. (PS: thanks for the input in both posts cool)

I originally focus on Kawai and Yamaha. But I was told in general Kawai is heavier in actions. So I switched to looking for a Yamaha grand in 1980s or newer.
👍

C
C

As I said, I just started looking around for a piano. So I might be wrong about the fair market price :-) But I see a posting in my area for 1984 Yamaha C3 for 13k. I also remember a few C1/C2 with disklavier around 10k to 13k. They look nice, while out of my budge... That said, I can feel that the market seems to favor C-serials a little bit more.

Yeah...C1s are priced a bit higher. My intuition would lead me to expect to find a better piano in the C1. But I would let my experience of the piano itself be the guide regarding my purchase. As far as Yamahas go, I've played many, but not kept good track of precisely what they all were. So I'm not entirely sure what to expect between G/C differences (though I imagine I've played both).

However, I did notice the upgrade from CX to SX, when I tried new instruments recently. To me, the S3X was preferable to CX of various sizes (all the way up to 7), in overall quality. Usually when there's a jump in tier, you can really notice it. But it should probably all come down to what you can discern (independent of any information you're given on the piano), assuming a sound tech inspection.

Last edited by chromaticvortex; 05/23/22 03:50 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Good luck in your search!

If I can say one thing, I've found "people say" to be notoriously unreliable and contradictorily, especially when it comes to perceptions of action feel. You see poeple saying Petrof is light and Yamaha is heavy, that Kawai is featherweight and Steinway drives like a truck....and in the next thread it's entirely the opposite. And the feeling can be entirely different between pianos of different sizes and tiers (a GC1 feels nothing like a C7X). Add a couple dozen years of use and wear, and in the used market there are zero conclusions you can draw from generalities, imho.

FWIW, I got a Kawai over a Yamaha specifically because the action in the Kawai felt lighter and smoother.

I think you shouldn't cross any mfg off your list because of what someone says of action weight. If you find a GL, GE or RX in your price range, it would probably be well worth your time to try it out. The action/key feel might surprise you!

Also, who said a heavier action is objectively any worse? smile

Agree with you, that action feel is very personal and varies on pianos. I actually once a time contacted for a Kawai RX1, but it was such a good deal (9k+, less than 10 years old) that it sold quickly before I can try it :-)

I was told by a piano teacher that a heavy action is harder for 6-year old kid to start his piano learning. Again, it's very personal .

Last edited by Sheng123; 05/23/22 04:27 PM.
S
OP Offline
S

Yeah...C1s are priced a bit higher. My intuition would lead me to expect to find a better piano in the C1. But I would let my experience of the piano itself be the guide regarding my purchase. As far as Yamahas go, I've played many, but not kept good track of precisely what they all were. So I'm not entirely sure what to expect between G/C differences (though I imagine I've played both).

However, I did notice the upgrade from CX to SX, when I tried new instruments recently. To me, the S3X was preferable to CX of various sizes (all the way up to 7), in overall quality. Usually when there's a jump in tier, you can really notice it. But it should probably all come down to what you can discern (independent of any information you're given on the piano), assuming a sound tech inspection.

Since it's for the first piano of my kids, I will try (have to :-) ) to keep it within the budge. So SX is unlikely to be a candidate. That said, Thanks for sharing the experience!

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by dogperson

Have you tried PTG.org for a tech? You can search by zip code

Long story short, no. The owner is not living the old house anymore, and selling the piano because of that moving. When I tried PTG, it did not work (it is still not working currently). To make the arrangement quickly, I found one on Yelp. I checked the review on Yelp/Google/Thumbtack etc, the review for the tuner seems good. Thanks for the suggestion anyway :-)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sheng123, the PTG Website is under maintenance I believe! 😁

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Piano P80 vs P120
by Love Musictc - 06/30/22 05:16 AM
Modulation Help...
by @joycepersonal - 06/30/22 04:07 AM
Kawai VPC 1 / Pianoteq latency question
by DFx - 06/29/22 10:35 PM
Best tuning hammer for $100
by onerj - 06/29/22 05:56 PM
Mendolson-Liszt Lieder s.547
by danno858 - 06/29/22 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,736
Posts3,204,360
Members105,678
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission