2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (AndreaH, 36251, BravoRomeo, Animisha, accordeur, Auror, BMKE, boo1234, Anevsky, 14 invisible), 4,430 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Q
Q
Thanks to Rickster, MarieJ, Kepijapa, Sam and Calavera for your comments - much appreciated!

08. AndresVel - Piano Sonata No. 16 in C major, KV 545
Congratulations on a complete sonata, and from memory is so impressive! Really elegant and well-articulated. The only thing I might suggest is perhaps a teeny bit more dynamic variation, but that could well be the recording, and is probably being nit-picky. I appreciate how you didn’t sacrifice musicality and control in a quest for speed. A very enjoyable listen.

23. Kepijapa - Partita No.6 In E Minor, BWV 830, 2-3. Allemande-Corrente
More beautiful Bach. I don’t think you seemed particularly tense (either to look at or listen to), but I totally get what you mean about the recording process. Your serene, measured Allemende contrasted beautifully with the energetic Corrente. Great articulation and dynamics in both.

24. Jerzyk19 - Immortal
Really sensitive and expressive – great playing!

30. Swede - Von fremden Landern und Menschen op 15
This was lovely. I agree that you could do with the accompaniment being a little softer and more flowing (this could also just be the recording), however it doesn’t overpower the melody and your phrasing was nice.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
05. briangmoore - Chanson
I agree with your comment on the importance of knowing that people have listened: it’s why these Recitals are so incredibly valuable. And they’re such a great resource for new music. I’d never heard this Chanson before, and found it appealing, something I’d like to try too. Well done!

06. pianist685 (Constantin) - She's a lady
I love the variety we’ve had in this Recital - I wonder if lockdown had anything to do with it? smile Your submission was very creative, and I enjoyed it as much as you clearly did!

09. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata in E Major K 380
You certainly found the ‘musical sense’ in this Sonata! A scintillating performance on your Schimmel Grand, I loved it.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXVI

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
F
F
01. Calavera - Forever Rachel I enjoy the game music and the time of easy remembered melodies. And you do it with wonderful grace. The tempo switch at 1:25 what a joy.
Admits that I never played final fantasy though.

02. MarieJ - Luminous sometimes the most easy listening is the most wonderful. I would have wanted for this piece somehow also hear the sound of fingers touching the keys. Isn’t that weird of me? Like the silent ambient room should be allowed in for this one.

03. Sam S - Idyll wonderful. Being the pianist for another instrument often means taking the back seat. But they complete each other so well here. Good work.

04. QuentinP - WTK1 Fugue 1 C major Good job. I am allways fascinated with Fugues.

05. briangmoore - Chanson good work.you played it very well.
Anything goes? Well… Haven’t seen the score but I was thinking that this might go a bit more piano? And if I would have done this I might have shifted the pedal a bit more and relied more on holding down the key in the left hand so not to blur the right hand too much. But I bet you played it by the book so might be more of a comment on the book.

06. pianist685 (Constantin) - She's a lady oh and singing. I will comment on the piano here though – with a classic chord-usage which fits very well with the song.

07. stevedoz - Danzas argentinas Op. 2, no 2, Danza de la moza donosa sounds like a most intresting melodies with its fair of challenges. What curious disharmony and the Middle part of chords of almost aggressions. You manage to hold two different phrasing to the left and the right hand which is a sign of good control. Very nice work. And yes – a recording fit for a ny professional release.

M
M
Originally Posted by Agrajag
To put my dip in motivation into perspective, I'd estimate I spent on average 1.5 hours on the piano every day the first six months, while everything was still new and exciting. These last six months however, that number has decreased to around 15 minutes.

So let me summarize that. You have been playing 1.5 years. 1.5 hours for 6 months and then less, down to 15 minutes /day. Say a total of less than 500 hours. And you play Beethoven at that level. And of course people ask you how you achieve that outstanding result. Well, don't stop playing you would be depriving the world of the next Mozart !

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by marklings
To put my dip in motivation into perspective, I'd estimate I spent on average 1.5 hours on the piano every day the first six months, while everything was still new and exciting. These last six months however, that number has decreased to around 15 minutes.

So let me summarize that. You have been playing 1.5 years. 1.5 hours for 6 months and then less, down to 15 minutes /day. Say a total of less than 500 hours. And you play Beethoven at that level. And of course people ask you how you achieve that outstanding result. Well, don't stop playing you would be depriving the world of the next Mozart !

Some have argued that Mozart is boring . . . . smile

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Jethro
Can I ask what your typical practice regimen consists of? Do you just play pieces or do you practice scales, exercises? Method books? I’m interested how you achieved this level of play in only 1.5 years.
I spent a little time on scales and a few exercises the first couple months. I bought Hanon, Czerny and "The complete book of scales, chords, arpeggios & cadences" during my first week, but I've only practiced three Hanon exercies, completely ignored the Czerny and barely looked at the other book. Aside from that, I've exclusively spent my time on pieces. I could elaborate and try to summarize it all, if you're interested.

Also have you tried this piece on an acoustic piano? Notice any difference? Does your left hand get fatigued?
I have. There's a piano store right next to my current workplace, and I've recently tried out a few grands. The CA-79 is actually on the heavier side, the acoustic pianos were noticably lighter to play. The physical requirements of the sonata are quite frankly a breeze compared to high-level Guitar Hero. Although I haven't played the game in a decade, the dexterity hasn't left me. Fatigue has yet to be an issue, but I fully expect to struggle if I ever decide to tackle Erlkönig or something similar.

I hope you keep it up.
So do I, but keeping motivation up is proving to be difficult. This started out as a solution to boredom during the pandemic. As my main hobby had literally became illegal, I had to find something to do with my time. Now that all the public measures have ended, the old hobby is slowly taking its spot back. To put my dip in motivation into perspective, I'd estimate I spent on average 1.5 hours on the piano every day the first six months, while everything was still new and exciting. These last six months however, that number has decreased to around 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by Peyton
Can't wait to hear you in another year and a half. Listz etudes? smile
Originally Posted by peterws
What's the next 18m gonna bring?
I'm not particularly fond of Liszt's etudes. I could probably forsake musicality for a bit and make some shoddy recordings of some virtuosic pieces already. Luckily, I don't want to go that route.

It may not happen any time soon, but I'd like to tackle the Bach-Busoni Chaconne at some point. I should perhaps become more comfortable with Henle 6-7 repertoire first, though. One of my long-term goals is to feel confident playing Henle 7-8 pieces.

Originally Posted by Ido
You've asked for critical comments, so let's start:
You duped me with that first sentence, I was pleasantly surprised as I continued reading.
Originally Posted by Ido
Wow
Oof, such harsh critique.

Flygbladet, Rachtoven, Bart K, AndresVel, marklings, QuentinP, Ido, Sam S, Rickster, Jethro, Peyton and peterws, I appreciate you taking the time to listen, comment, critique and encourage. One of my goals is to have something prepared for each new quarterly recital. The response here is more than I could have expected, and it's certainly helping with my motivation.
Yes I would like to know more of the details. You could PM me if you wish or if you can be brief maybe others might want to know as well along as the conversation does not hijack the thread, but I do find it pretty amazing that you can play such a piece with only a year and a half of self teaching. Still, I think a teacher can improve your technique substantially but quite a feat for what you are already able to do. Maybe there is some connection between video games in your youth and piano facility. I think another poster here Pablobear also played a lot of video games in his youth.

Last edited by Jethro; 05/23/22 03:40 PM.
R
Online Content
R
Some more comments:

13. peterws - Summertime Ended

This was a really interesting and inventive take on Gershwin’s Summertime. I really enjoyed it.

14. facdo - Elegie Op.3 No.1

Beautiful! Both your play and the piano! This is quite an accomplishment and I can tell this piece means a lot to you. I love the Elegie, too.

15. Serge88 - Ballade pour Adeline

This is an entertaining piece and I enjoyed your performance--the ending was played especially delicately.

K
K
My second set of comments.

21. sandalholme - Les Folies Francaises ou les Dominos from Ordre No13 This sounds interesting. I have that instrument too, have to try it. I like these short pieces, and your playing is very good. I like it very much, doesnt look very easy, you sound like an experienced pianist, perfect.

22. Flygbladet - Monkey Island 1 theme music I did not know this, It is a fun tune, you play it very well.

24. Jerzyk19 - Immortal Ah, that sounds beautiful, your playing is very relaxing.

25. zsolpyW - Tell him Beautiful tune, you put a lot of emotion in it. I also listened to the original, also very beautiful, thanks for playing and sharing.

26. KevinM - Sonatina in D Opus 36 No 6 part 1 It sounds very nice, you have a very light tough.

27. Marklings - Waltz Op. 64 n.2 in C sharp minor A beautiful waltz, it was one of the first Chopin I learned too as a young boy, well done.

28. Rachtoven - Invention No. 8 Very well played. I actually also practiced this, but I was never happy with the result. I must say yours sounds better.

29. kenbakermn - Letter From Home This sounds quite beautiful, love the arrangement.

30. Swede - Von fremden Landern und Menschen op 15 Well, I think you actually played this very well. You bring out the melody nicely, it is very musically played, it is also very lovely music. Now I wanted to listen again to your Aria of the Goldberg, but I could not manage to find it (there must be a way, I will keep trying). But I think you played this better (But the Aria was nice too, a little slow as I recall).

31. PikaPianist - Rigaudon (From The Holberg Suite) Wow, that sounds difficult. Very well done, beautiful piano.

32. Agrajag - Sonata "Pathetique" Op. 13 - I Hey, thats the only Beethoven I have tried, sounds great, your playing is very good, keep it up, don’t know why you are so critical.

33. candela - Nordic Themes Nos 8 and 11 This sounds very nice, interesting pieces. A rather Nordic atmosphere indeed, very musically played.

34. Purrblast - October, The Seasons (Op. 37a, No. 10) This was very beautiful music also. Very well played. Lovely melodies.

35. winterflower - daffodils Big respect to improvisers, wish I could do that, well done.

36. Tyschoco - Bach Invention No.15 in B Minor, BMV 786 Now that sounds quite perfect to me. Maybe I would do it a little faster and lighter, but after listening to some recordings I see this is how it is mostly done. Think I want to try this one too (I tried some of these 2 part inventions, but was never too happy about the result).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
21 sandalholme – 10 character pieces by Couperin on harpsichord This is absolutely fantastic. You are a perfect harpsichordist. All those trills and mordents you are adding are intriguing. Ah, for the piece beginning at 4:45 you could even select the lute sound of the instrument. How fascinatingly realistic! You know probably that I like playing a virtual harpsichord as well.

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
22. Flygbladet - Monkey Island 1 theme music
That was tremendous fun - lively and exuberant. I loved it! thumb

12. Ted Jones - The Fourth Ace
The kikuyu grass may have influenced the opening of your improvisation smile , but the handmowing obviously didn’t damage your dexterity. You’ve managed to create a very large, brightly coloured and intricate abstract painting for the ears.

14. facdo - Elegie Op.3 No.1
A masterful performance on a magnificent piano. What a fabulous experience that must have been. Bravo!

15. Serge88 - Ballade pour Adeline
Your version was a lot more complicated than the arrangement I’ve tinkered around with - and I found even that one a struggle. A very enjoyable performance - thank you!

19. thepianoplayer416 - Sonatina in G (Anh. 5): Moderato - Romanze
I’m not technically equipped to offer suggestions for improvement, but think the faster take was a good idea: the tempo sounded fine. Confidently played - well done.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MarieJ

[b]12. Ted Jones - The Fourth Ace

The kikuyu grass may have influenced the opening of your improvisation smile , but the handmowing obviously didn’t damage your dexterity. You’ve managed to create a very large, brightly coloured and intricate abstract painting for the ears.

Thanks for listening, pleased you like it. The subject of physical training and piano playing crops up regularly on forums. I am not one of the increasing number of pianists who eschew all vigorous exercise involving the hands in case it impedes dexterity. While it is true that activities such as resistance training and labouring, anything involving prolonged gripping, can produce a degree of temporary clumsiness, it usually lasts little more than a day or so. Exercise is very important to maintain health as we age and I generally play better when I feel fit. Percy Grainger, to mention one counter example, indulged in a stupendous amount of exercise all his life and he retained a mighty technique.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MarieJ
19. thepianoplayer416 - Sonatina in G (Anh. 5): Moderato - Romanze
I’m not technically equipped to offer suggestions for improvement, but think the faster take was a good idea: the tempo sounded fine. Confidently played - well done.

Thanks for your comments. This is a common piece performed by students. The tempo for mvt 1 is Moderato and not Allegro. Some students would play it slower while others would do it faster depending on their confidence. And some would do the repeats and others wouldn't.

L
L
Thank you to Rickster, MarieJ, Sam S. and tyschoco for listening and commenting on my performance.

Also a special thank you to Sam S. for facilitating another great recital and giving people an opportunity to share their music.

31. PikaPianist - Rigaudon (From The Holberg Suite) - That was indeed joyous. Your hands were almost a blur, dancing over the keys in the livelier parts of the piece. I enjoyed your music so much that it was almost a shock when the piece ended.

32. Agrajag - Sonata "Pathetique" Op. 13 - I - What a remarkable achievement! Your playing looked and sounded awesome to me.

33. candela - Nordic Themes Nos 8 and 11 - One of the highlights of these recitals is discovering new music such as you just introduced. Thank you for sharing it. Well done!

34. Purrblast - October, The Seasons (Op. 37a, No. 10) - That was a lovely piece. I loved the way you brought out the melody. The hand and finger positions required for the piece looked complex, but your playing was very smooth.

35. winterflower - daffodils - Lovely musical expression of an idea with the high notes that followed on from the more somber beginning. It truly brings to mind early flowers of spring emerging after winter.

36. Tyschoco - Bach Invention No.15 in B Minor, BMV 786 - I think your experience with other Inventions has stood you in good stead. Your playing looked and sounded secure and in the spirit of a Bach piece.

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
A
A
I have finally got time to read the last comments and comment myself. I am currently traveling for work and have not had the time to do it. Good thing is that I am Vienna now. There is music everywhere you look here laugh
Thank you Rachtoven, QuasiunaFantasia, Rickster, Sam, Swede and QuentinP for taking the time to listen and comment on my submission. I really appreciate it and I am happy you enjoyed it smile

Originally Posted by Rachtoven
Very precise and disciplined playing. I agree with you about the difficulty of the first movement. I had to play it a long time before I felt comfortable submitting a recording of it. Even after I got it to 80-90%, there were always places where my fingers would tend to fumble, and if I fixed that, I would “spring a leak” somewhere else.

Question: On Measure 15 (about 0:39), it sounds like the trill is a bit delayed. Is that intentional?
Thank you Rachtoven for taking time to listen and comment. I agree with you 100% on your experiences when learning the first movement. It was hard to keep the whole thing together and feel secure in all sections at the same time. But looking at the outcome, I am very happy I kept pushing.
Regarding the trill, I see now what you mean. The trills do not start immediately on my recording. I remember them changing as I kept practicing the piece. The final outcome was the one I could find more consistency with and which allowed me not to interrupt the flow of the piece.

Originally Posted by Sam S
Separate mics for the piano and clarinet fed into a Scarlett interface. The recording is done with Logic Pro X. Two cameras - a Zoom Q8 and an iphone. So I start the cameras and the audio recording at about the same time - it's not important to synchronize them when recording - which I will explain below.

Then I add some reverb to the audio recording in Logic Pro - the clarinet definitely sounds better with reverb. Do not trim the audio recording, but export it. ...
Thanks for your reply Sam. I will try to play a bit with reverb next time to see if it adds to the final sound. I remember checking it once on Davinci Resolve (the software I used for video editing) but it was not that straight forward so I left it there.
I wish Toddles a speedy recovery and all the best for her surgery. I hope she will be able to play again very fast smile

Originally Posted by Kepijapa
That was quite an achievement. Playing almost 15 min from memory without screwing up is already very difficult. You playing is very clear and precise, with a lot of attention to detail, but the first and last movement a bit faster would be better, than automatically you would get it more singing, flowing, with better defined phrases. What also helps a lot is to play simultaniously/on top with a known recording by some famous pianist. Mitchuko Ushida plays it very nicely. You will never get it the same, but it gives a good feeling for the flow. I do this a lot (to get Bach rhythm right).
Thank you Kapijapa for taking time to listen and comment. I appreciate your feedback and your nice comments. I agree with the tempo, specially for the first movement, but it was not my main priority with this piece. I even ended up playing it at a tempo I was not even thinking I would be able to reach. I am sure there will be enough opportunities in the future to keep working on this aspect.
I have never played on top of a recording, but I did listen a lot/dived into Mozart's music while learning the sonata. In particular for the sonatas, I really enjoyed Mitsuko's rendition. She was by far my favorite together with Pires and Arrau. I loved Mitsuko already from her Schubert. I am lucky to be in Vienna for work all this week, and will be attending a solo recital from Mitsuko next Sunday laugh and she is playing Mozart :DDDD It will be a beautiful experience for sure. Cannot wait.

Originally Posted by Swede
Nice clean crisp play. Clear dynamics. Incredible ABRSM 6 piece under 2 years playing. (Tempo can be faster.) May I ask how many hours you practice every day? I still areńt able to play it, but I can comment you here. ;-)
Thank you very much Swede for your comments. Of course you can comment on my submission! laugh the whole purpose of these recitals in my opinion, or at least for me, is being able to exchange with others on music and on our our passion of playing piano. I truly appreciate and value your impressions after listening to my submission.
On your question, I practice between 90 minutes and 2 hours, usually 6 days per week. I usually have three pieces at the same time (I use then around 30 minutes per piece). The other half an hour I use for reading music and work on technique.

Originally Posted by QuentinP
Congratulations on a complete sonata, and from memory is so impressive! Really elegant and well-articulated. The only thing I might suggest is perhaps a teeny bit more dynamic variation, but that could well be the recording, and is probably being nit-picky. I appreciate how you didn’t sacrifice musicality and control in a quest for speed. A very enjoyable listen.
Thank you very much QuentinP for your comment. I appreciate your comment on my wish to prioritize musicality and control over speed, and it makes happy that these two former aspects came through in the recording. I totally agree with previous comments and playing the outer movements faster would be awesome, but I am unfortunately not there yet smirk. Tempo has never been in the top of the list in the work I have done with my teacher so far, since we do not want to sacrifice control, musicality, and articulation (this one in particular for this particular piece by Mozart). I would love to pick this piece in the future and see how my interpretation might improve/differ.

Last edited by AndresVel; 05/25/22 10:36 AM.

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
T
T
Hopefully didn't miss anyone! Some really great submissions during this recital even if it was smaller than what we usually get. See you all in the next one!

26. KevinM - Sonatina in D Opus 36 No 6 part 1
Good balance! And it actually sounds you are rather acclimated to the tempo you are attempting, and you are doing rather respectable tempo too, only about 20% less than the standard allegro. You are adhering to the rests very dutifully as well. The only suggestion i have is perhaps play around with some finger pedal in the left hand and maybe some articulation. (Interestingly, i would personally do the left hand broken octaves non legato, to imitate what a bassoonist would do). Good work!

27. Marklings - Waltz Op. 64 n.2 in C sharp minor
Nicely done overall! Good balance between the hands, i like the use of less pedal to bring out the acciatura in the opening theme and your scales and arpeggios for the piu mosso part is well conceived. The only thing i would suggest is perhaps more use of rubato in conjunction with more awareness of the phrases in the music. There are a lot of cadences and sequences that can be shaped more to make it clearer to the listener. Personally, i would also not do an overt accelerando for the piu mosso part, most professional recordings i listen to seem to reach the tempo by the second or third bar. Also perhaps consider breathing in between large phrases which can enhance the natural musical sense of the work.

28. Rachtoven - Invention No. 8
Very good! I don't think i could have done this better myself. This is a very very good tempo and you are holding your control rather well throughout. Probably one of the better renditions of this invention i have heard on this forum and its nearly fully professionally conceived. Perhaps consider this when dealing with a fast work? Try some moderate tempo practice and play the piece with very deliberate breath between phrases or even change the mood of the piece when practicing at a slower tempo (perhaps moderato con moto for this work?). In my experience, doing moderate tempo practice for fast works like these help to stabilize the muscle memory, and was particularly helpful for live performance preparation.

You are more than ready to move onto other inventions! Perhaps try the D minor one if you have not attempted it. Or anyone you feel you would enjoy, you definitely have the skill to do it. Look forward to hear more from you!

29. kenbakermn - Letter From Home
Very colorful harmonies and very nicely played. Good balance, the left hand its not overpowering the right. Your voicing is quite good as well and pedaling very clean. I am curious how it would sound on an acoustic as there are some places where there are long projected notes that will enhance the harmony like measure 20 before the 6/4 time shift. Its really nicely played, hope to see you the next time round!

30. Swede - Von fremden Landern und Menschen op 15
Hopefully i can start my work on Kinderszenen soon, i am currently preoccupied with my Bach and Haydn stuff and have yet to complete the Album fur die Jugend. This is one of the most beautiful works in the set.

The voicing is really nice and whatever fingering or pedalling you are using is very effective as you get a nice legato line. Pedaling is rather clean and your inner voice control is more or less there.
I mean this with a hint of jest when i say you aren't giving me a lot to chew on when it comes to the critique you are asking for in your post LOL. You are going to need to show us either a Bach or Classical fast movement to expose any technical faults more thoroughly. But as long as you are doing your Hanon relaxed with a reasonable amount of freedom in your wrist and shoulders, you should be good to go.

The only critique for this piece is one small detail a lot of people seem to miss out. Try voicing the the left hand's dotted eight note - > 16th note into the quarter note. It is meant to be an imitation of the right hand's theme coming into the B section. Murray Perahia mentions this in a video on Youtube and i think its a rather nice detail to add when playing this work.

31. PikaPianist - Rigaudon (From The Holberg Suite)
Absolutely professionally conceived! Your technique is incredibly well aligned with your fingers freely dancing on the keyboard, allowing you to keep that sharp crisp articulation for the A section. Your touch for the trio section is absolutely sublime and you have very clear phrasing ideas and direction. Your dynamic and musical ideas are conceived at the highest level for this piece and executed convincingly. I think whats particularly amazing is you capture the orchestral forces of the work incredibly well. You have incredible sensitivity to the range of colours on the piano.

This may be a little selfish for me to ask, but i really do wish to see more works that showcase your dexterity and your virtuosic side. Perhaps some fast movement Beethoven or something. You are probably one of the most Bulletproof pianist on this forum and i always look forward to your submissions during the Recitals. See you in the next one!

32. Agrajag - Sonata "Pathetique" Op. 13 - I
From reading the comments, a lot of people have given tons of constructive feedback on this work already. So i am interested to hear how this sounds like. And obvious commendations for doing this in only one year and a half of work on the piano.

Opening is well conceived, only really limited by the touch and colour the digital piano can give. Given more time, there will be more shaping ideas and response to the harmonic changes. But its well produced either way.

The Allegro di molto starts really nice actually. Particular commendations to the broken octaves as you have seemed to figured out how to play that without flailing the fingers around blindly. The mordents are kept rather well in time. The first hint of trouble only really seems to come in the contrary broken chords area, measure 89 (Its very hard, because most of us do not deal with this pattern very often, and attempting this piece is usually preceded by tons of groundwork from other classical sonatas by Haydn, Mozart and Bee). So props for getting it somewhat clear!
Moving into the development, we may need a tad bit of voicing on broken chords in the right hand in measure 167, voice leading from C sharp -> d -> c natural -> b natural etc. Otherwise it sounds like a little spotty there in terms of direction. The return to the recapitulation is relatively stable, although of course stamina starts to beome an issue by the time you reach here.

But overall you hold your control throughout the piece in a rather respectable manner. The only thing to think about is what are you currently doing repertoire wise? I personally would consider one of Beethoven's slightly easier sonata movements like Op 14 no 1 or the presto alla tedesca from Op 79. It can benefit your stability and stamina by acclimating to a piece that is slightly more manageable and will allow you to deal with the technical issues pointed out by the others who have given you way more valuable feedback on this work.
Really commendable and impressive, hope to see what you come up with in the next recital!

33. candela - Nordic Themes Nos 8 and 11
Theme 8 sounds really nice! You are responding and capturing the melancholy rather well throughout and you sound like you are enjoying yourself playing it. Good dynamic choices throughout as well!

Theme 11 Good pedalling for this, you are producing a rather clean legato throughout for the treble voice. Good response to the brief modulations to F major as well. You certainly have some good interpretative ideas going around. Really enjoyable!

34. Purrblast - October, The Seasons (Op. 37a, No. 10)
Very nicely played overall! I really appreciate the effort to bring out he bass notes which give the melody a nice sense of harmonic support and the shaping of the inner voices. Very good attention to the part playing for the piece overall. Considering you said this is deeper waters for you, i'd say you are doing really well! Also, in your defense, ghost notes when doing pp and ppp could be a result of the limits of your piano's actions. Certain high quality acoustic uprights or grands have very good response at lower dynamics. In my experience, usually digital pianos have difficulty responding that far on either end of the dynamic spectrum. The only thing i'd say you could work on is slowly build up your phrasing and shaping ideas as you progress, listen to any professional recording and note how you can hear how clear each phrase is. Good job!

35. winterflower - daffodils
Nice themes, and its quite appropriate for the title you have given this improvisation. Nice choice for the higher register too, gives that dreamy feeling to it and hints of extended harmonies. Really nice melody to go with the beautiful chordal accompaniment. Enjoyed listening to it!

Last edited by tyschoco; 05/25/22 09:20 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by tyschoco
27. Marklings - Waltz Op. 64 n.2 in C sharp minor
Nicely done overall! Good balance between the hands, i like the use of less pedal to bring out the acciatura in the opening theme and your scales and arpeggios for the piu mosso part is well conceived. The only thing i would suggest is perhaps more use of rubato in conjunction with more awareness of the phrases in the music. There are a lot of cadences and sequences that can be shaped more to make it clearer to the listener. Personally, i would also not do an overt accelerando for the piu mosso part, most professional recordings i listen to seem to reach the tempo by the second or third bar. Also perhaps consider breathing in between large phrases which can enhance the natural musical sense of the work.

Thanks for your comments, all sensible suggestions. I can only say I am far from accomplished !

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Many thanks to Sam S, tyschoco, Kepijapa, Pianist685 for all your comments. Yes, the harpsichord software disables velocity and the clunk when releasing the keys has been adjusted - depending upon the number of register being used. Hope your harpsichord is available soon, Sam. Your comments were thoughtful and detailed tyschoco and I will listen carefully: a listener can pick up things the player misses, or thinks everything is OK because in one's head it's OK. Kepijapa: if you have the PT Hans Ruckers, it's really worth trying if you like the harpsichord sound. The French baroque is the genre I am most comfortable with. Pianist685: the ornaments are all provided by Couperin. The French school were very particular about ornamentation and it at least saves worrying about whether your choice is suitable, but there are rather a lot!

A
A
Some more comments from my side. Little by little I will finish listening to the recital

04. QuentinP - WTK1 Fugue 1 C major Very good job with the Fugue QuentinP! Fugues are so cool and nice to listen to, specially when you can clearly listen to the theme and the voices all throughout. I think you succeeded at that, which is pretty impressive considering this is a four voices fugue. The theme was always so nicely brought up and the interplay of voices was really interesting. You also managed to introduce the ornaments nicely without losing the rhythm or without making them stand out abruptly when it gets dense. I noticed some interesting exploration with the articulation, specially on the second half of the main theme, before the sustained note. I noticed you detached the previous quaver, which I do not remember listening that way before. It was a very polished and disciplined work Quentin. I deeply enjoyed it smile

14. facdo - Elegie Op.3 No.1 What a piece you chose to learn and share with us this time! Amazing work on such a complex piece. Congratulations on coming up with this fine recording and also for tackling your first Rachmaninoff. I think you have a lot to feel proud of. You did a great job with the left hand carrying the piece all throughout. It did not seem bothered by the triples or variations of it on the main melody. I think you also succeeded at making use of the high range of dynamics when needed to add tension in key points. My suggestions would be to also try to achieve this tension and climax with tempo, by stretching it and adding more rubato in certain places. I would also encourage you to explore better the low range of dynamics, specially since you have now a grand at home (Huge congrats on that too! I am happy that you have a beautiful instrument at your new home) . The piece varies from ppp to fff (at least in the score I was using to follow your playing), so I will try to really highlight that difference. For example, at the beginning of the Piu vivo section, bringing down the right hand to allow the left hand sing that long melodic line, or at the Lento section to transition to the main theme. Awesome job!

24. Jerzyk19 - Immortal I love this song! I was a huge Evanescence fan back in high-school. I know a lot of their songs and this one was of course was one of my favorites. I think you clearly played with a lot of passion and emotion, which is essential for this piece. You create beautiful dynamics and a beautiful texture with the left hand. Being a big fan of the song, I have to admit that there are some bits of the arrangement that I do not agree with and that I would have probably changed myself. I would have for example lowered the verses one octave, and I think the bridge is not such a turning point in the arrangement as it is in the song. However, this does not take anything away from your performance, which also was beautifully captured by your recording setup. The only thing I would suggest about your playing could be to not rush the beginning of phrases. I noticed this specially in the chorus. Otherwise, this was a great listen. Thank you for sharing.

34. Purrblast - October, The Seasons (Op. 37a, No. 10) Well done Purrblast. This is indeed a very beautiful piece and I think you did a great job with it. I liked a lot how you alternated the different voices all throughout and did very good at giving them all a chance to shine. I think the tempo suited very well the piece, and you also played with it effectively when needed. I would only suggest to really explore that pianissimo sound and try to create more dynamic contrast. I understand this is not always so easy on a digital but I would give it a try. Also take care with the rhythm towards the end of measures 22 and 23, specially with the triplets in the left hand, and when playing the appoggiatura in the transition between both, so it does not stick out. Very lovely submission and what a lovely piece. Awesome playing :))

Last edited by AndresVel; 05/26/22 05:21 PM.

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
20. Snejana - The Ones Out of Place
‘Poignant’ was an accurate description; your composition conveyed the emotions you mentioned. A heartfelt performance.

21. sandalholme - Les Folies Francaises ou les Dominos from Ordre No13
The Pianoteq harpsichord voice was a brilliant choice. I enjoyed the variety you brought to these short linked pieces - superb playing!

24. Jerzyk19 - Immortal
The band and this composition are totally new to me. I was expecting more of a ‘rock’ piece, but this was gentle and soothing. Most enjoyable!

25. zsolpyW - Tell him
I didn’t know the song, but was impressed by your tender rendition. What a special birthday gift!

26. KevinM - Sonatina in D Opus 36 No 6 part 1
This sounded confident and polished, I really enjoyed it. Terrific work, Kevin! thumb

A
A
Some more comments from my side smile

05. briangmoore - Chanson This was a lovely piece briangmoore. It reminded a bit of the slow pieces in Schumann's album for the young. I think you did great, with beautiful phrasing. Thank you very much for sharing.

06. pianist685 (Constantin) - She's a lady Very nice submission! I hope we can in the future remember the lockdown time associated with this pandemic as the best chance we have had in a while to try new things, new hobbies, new activities. It has for sure been the case for me, and it seems it has been for you too by picking up singing at the piano. I do not know the song but I think you did very well and one can tell you are having a great time at the instrument. Thank you very much for sharing.

15. Serge88 - Ballade pour Adeline I know this piece very well, I remember listening to it very often as a kid because my aunt loves Clayderman's music. I remember she was very excited when I told her I was going to learn piano because she wanted me to eventually learn this one and play it for her. I think you played very well and the sound setting you chose on Pianoteq work very well for the character of the piece. Awesome playing. Thank you very much for sharing.

16. QuasiUnaFantasia - Fantasie in G major This piece was a big surprise. I was not expecting it would sound like that. I only know two Bruckner's symphonies, his 3rd and hid 7th. The 3rd I have even experience live, and it is so dramatic. It kept me at the enge of my seat, specially the outer movements. It is nice to discover a new side of the composer. I did not even know he had composed for piano solo. To your playing, I think it was so tasteful! Beautiful phrasing and pianissimo sound, and very good attention to the indicated dynamics. Very good job in keeping the triplets in the left hand steady all throughout and adding dynamic variations with the left hand too. Very well done. I listened to the second half of the piece, to the recording you suggest, and it sounds very classical in my opinion. It is a big contrast to the first half but I loved it too. I will put this piece on a list of future works for sure. Thank you very much for sharing! discovering new pieces like these makes the listening experience in the recitals even better.

25. zsolpyW - Tell him Beautiful playing zsolpyW. I actually do not know the song, but I was able to capture the beauty of the piece through your playing. Beautiful use of dynamics, which help to add a lot of drama and emotion to your rendition. Very well done. I am sure your wife must have been very touched by your present. Thank you for sharing it with us smile

26. KevinM - Sonatina in D Opus 36 No 6 part 1 Good job on this first movement of the Sonatina Kevin! It has a very calming pastoral feeling. I think you are doing very good with this piece. You keep a very steady left hand alberti bass, and you are putting a lot of focus on the articulation too. I think it is great you are noticing progress and that you are achieving higher tempos. Keep on the hard work and you will be getting a very good recording of the sonatina. In terms of dynamics, I think you could explore a bit more, both to add more shape to the right hand and to add more variation with the left hand too, so that the alberti bass does not always remains at the background. I noticed there is a fermata shortly before the recapitulation. I would take a bit more time there even tough the piece is not very long. Very good job Kevin, looking forward to your progress on this piece :)))

35. winterflower - daffodils Beautiful improvisation winterflower. I very much enjoyed it. Very ethereal sound the one you were able to create with the upper register. Why did you decide to name it like that? I am curious. Thank you for sharing.

36. Tyschoco - Bach Invention No.15 in B Minor, BMV 786 Very good job Tsychoco! One call tell, having worked on most of the inventions already has helped you to get a feeling on how to play effectively with two voices. You were able to bring out the main theme every time it appeared, but on top of that you are being able to transition progressively from one leading voice to the other. I noticed this specially between measures 12 to 14, the transition towards to right hand main theme on bar 14 was very nicely done and felt effortless. Ornaments seem to be on point on both hands. I also like how you highlight the bass line at the very beginning. It is not the main theme but you also gave it some protagonism which was nice. Very well done! Looking forward to the Haydn sonata laugh

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Target note video
by 36251 - 07/02/22 09:30 AM
Best Arduino Courses
by Palak Sharma - 07/02/22 08:15 AM
Pianoteq Stage 7.5 for sale for €80
by meghdad - 07/02/22 03:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,780
Posts3,204,883
Members105,697
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission