2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (Animisha, Catlady, 36251, brennbaer, Calavera, Bill McKaig,RPT, 13 invisible), 936 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
When I click on Pianoteq's Note edit - Volume, I find that some instruments are completely neutral, that is the volume for all keys are 0db. But when scrolling through other instruments, the volume is irregular, for instance some keys are -2db and other keys +4db. I am flabbergasted by this irregularity. This means, that when I try to play notes evenly, Pianoteq makes them uneven! Or when trying to make a smooth diminuendo, and one of the keys in that diminuendo is the one that Pianoteq has programmed as +4db, it will be very difficult. And also, if I have practised with one instrument, and then I change to another one, the dynamics would be slightly off. I just cannot understand this.

Does any of you have a good idea of why the volume isn't neutral for all pianos???

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
When I click on Pianoteq's Note edit - Volume, I find that some instruments are completely neutral, that is the volume for all keys are 0db. But when scrolling through other instruments, the volume is irregular, for instance some keys are -2db and other keys +4db. I am flabbergasted by this irregularity. This means, that when I try to play notes evenly, Pianoteq makes them uneven! Or when trying to make a smooth diminuendo, and one of the keys in that diminuendo is the one that Pianoteq has programmed as +4db, it will be very difficult. And also, if I have practised with one instrument, and then I change to another one, the dynamics would be slightly off. I just cannot understand this.

Does any of you have a good idea of why the volume isn't neutral for all pianos???

Which instruments have uneven volumes?

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
Which instruments have even volumes? I haven't found any yet...

If you right-click the window, you can set all notes to 0 db. Maybe I'll play around with this a bit...

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
Which instruments have even volumes? I haven't found any yet...

If you right-click the window, you can set all notes to 0 db. Maybe I'll play around with this a bit...

Does it depend upon the version of pianoteq you own?

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Originally Posted by Doug M.

I have Standard, which has Note Edit. I believe that the intro-level Stage version does not have Note Editing, but I'm not positive about that...

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Al the notes pretty much are not neutral. They're not on an acoustic piano either, are they? I do not know how they measure the volume specifically, but the irregularity of the individual note volumes at a given downforce are shown as those irregularities corrected.
Your headphones and/or speakers will introduce their own irregularities, since notheing is perfect.
And to add to the mix, neither are your ears!
So,you adjust the offending notes to suit your equipment, which is possible on Standard and above. A great feature imo.
What could be better than that?
And don't forget, unless you want the digitally processed sound of a digital piano complete with clinical overtones, you'll also need to knock Pianoteq out of tune a little. Or a lot lol!

I can see you're already having fun . . . smile

Last edited by peterws; 06/18/22 01:04 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I have Standard, which has Note Edit. I believe that the intro-level Stage version does not have Note Editing, but I'm not positive about that...

I know in the pro version, you can alter the pitch of the individual strings, which you can't in standard. I was wondering if note volume (which I presume comes from unequal ware of the hammers) can be achieved?
Or can you simply individually alter the hardness of hammers?

I know in the pro version, you can alter the pitch of the individual strings, which you can't in standard. I was wondering if note volume (which I presume comes from unequal ware of the hammers) can be achieved?
Or can you simply individually alter the hardness of hammers?

In Standard, you have access to three "characteristics" of each note: Detune, Volume and Attack Envelope.

There's a "More" menu fly-out, which gives you note-by-note control over pretty much all the other tonal controls that the primary UI lets you set for the entire instrument, like Unison Width, Hammer Noise and Strike Point.

These additional note-by-note settings are only active for the Pro version; in Standard, they are greyed out.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I apologise for the delay - I should not start a thread and then leave home, crazy

Originally Posted by Animisha
Which instruments have uneven volumes?

For instance; NY Steinway D classical, jazz, prelude, blues, po, new age, felt I, felt II....

Which instruments have even volumes?.

For instance: Bechstein DG D 282, Steinway D home - both on Pianoteq 6. (I haven't upgraded to 7 yet.)

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, you need to have "Note edit" in order to see this. I also just found out that the even volumes can be found in Pianoteq 6 - I didn't find them in Pianoteq 7.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
I do not know how they measure the volume specifically, but the irregularity of the individual note volumes at a given downforce are shown as those irregularities corrected.

Hmmm... There is an answer to my question in here, but I am not sure that I get it, except for irregularities are everywhere and nothing is perfect....

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,430
Posts3,216,932
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission