2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kjohrf Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi ... Just got a Yamaha P125 digital piano. It's great overall, but has only a square USB B output for a MIDI connection. I want to control an old Emu Procussion drum machine with it but that has the standard 5-pin DIN MIDI jack. I contacted Yamaha and they said the only solution was the expensive Kenton USB MIDI host ($150). Is there really no cheaper direct solution? I don't want a laptop in the middle and preferably not even a phone.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
How about this sort of thing? I haven't used it before though. LINK

Possibly even cheaper from ebay etc. Maybe better read some reviews. If the performance isn't good enough, then getting a more expensive module should definitely do the trick.

K
Kjohrf Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yeah that's the type of device I'm hoping would work but want to hear from someone with a P125 that has connected it successfully to some old MIDI gear and used the keyboard as a controller.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Also check this one ....... this one definitely works. LINK

The one in the previous post can cost as little as 5 dollars. But no review seen about that first one yet.

I think that an adapter - such as a USB Type B ...... to a USB Type A adapter, will be needed ------ unless we can find a module that already has the Type B connector.

K
Kjohrf Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Again, I hope to hear from someone who has tried one of these devices with a P125 (or something very similar) and old MIDI-controlled gear.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
i have a Casio PX-350, a Korg synth with DIN MIDI jacks, and a M-Audio "Uno' USB-to-MIDI adapter.

I'll try to do a test tomorrow, playing on the PX-350, running through the Uno, and listening to the Korg synth.

The results ought to be comparable to what you'd get using the Yamaha, _if_ the Yamaha's MIDI-over-USB jack is "class-compliant".

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I may be missing something, but I think neither will work. The USB port on P125 (type B connector as pointed by the OP) is a device port whereas the two USB-MIDI cables linked must be connected to a HOST (a PC or a box like the Kenton the OP mentioned). Even if one finds a type B to type A socket (as used in hosts) adapter, it will not work because of the characteristics of the USB ports. The exception would be OTG ports that may take both rules (host and devices) but I doubt this is the case of the P125's USB port.

EDIT: also, on the second link (the Fasgear's) you will find:
2) Our MIDI cable can't use for the keyboard or device that has only type-B interface.

Originally Posted by SouthPark
How about this sort of thing? I haven't used it before though. LINK

Possibly even cheaper from ebay etc. Maybe better read some reviews. If the performance isn't good enough, then getting a more expensive module should definitely do the trick.
Also check this one ....... this one definitely works. LINK

The one in the previous post can cost as little as 5 dollars. But no review seen about that first one yet.

I think that an adapter - such as a USB Type B ...... to a USB Type A adapter, will be needed ------ unless we can find a module that already has the Type B connector.

Last edited by EVC2017; 06/21/22 03:33 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
EVC is right! Thanks EVC. I was just taking a closer look at the details ----- and it indeed does say USB connection to computer. That's really disappointing.

I'm currently looking at this one online ------ "UMH-10 USB MIDI HOST Box Full-Speed Five-Pin Interface 16 Channels"

Some details at : LINK

Walmart sells it too.

Some promising signs ----- [HOST_LIST]

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yes, this one looks promising and more affordable. The down side in the OP's case is the need of an extra power supply or a USB portable battery. If the P125 had a host connector for a USB stick, it could be used to power this small box.

EVC is right! Thanks EVC. I was just taking a closer look at the details ----- and it indeed does say USB connection to computer. That's really disappointing.

I'm currently looking at this one online ------ "UMH-10 USB MIDI HOST Box Full-Speed Five-Pin Interface 16 Channels"

Some details at : LINK

Walmart sells it too.

Some promising signs ----- [HOST_LIST]

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
K
Kjohrf Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks ... So you think the DoreMIDI might work to connect and control and old drum machine with the P125? Should I try to contact them for their guess on this?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Kjohrf
Thanks ... So you think the DoreMIDI might work to connect and control and old drum machine with the P125? Should I try to contact them for their guess on this?

It is very likely it will work. I believe the only thing the box does is passing MIDI messages between the USB-MIDI device (P125 in your case) and the MIDI ported device (drum machine). I doubt it performs any kind of analysis or filtering (but I would look at the manual if available online). And yes, IMO it is worth asking the manufacturer, unlike some user of this DoreMIDI device has a setup similar to yours.

I suggest you ask this question on the Keyboard Corner forum as well, that forum has more giggers than this one.

Finally, welcome to the forum.

BR.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Yes, this one looks promising and more affordable. The down side in the OP's case is the need of an extra power supply or a USB portable battery. If the P125 had a host connector for a USB stick, it could be used to power this small box.

Thanks for helping to double-check EVC. Very much appreciated. Good point about the power supply, as in either using the digital piano's usb stick port as the power source, or powerbank with USB sockets for power output.

I just ordered one of these UMH-10 a moment ago (through ebay). I can check/test it out on a P-515 when it gets here. Thanks again EVC!

K
Kjohrf Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks, all. I'll contact them and see wat they say ...

J
J
The P121/125 series from Yamaha are not really suitable as midi controllers. They are great for standard playing of VST instruments (single USB cord for midi and audio) but lousy for anything else. Honestly if its drum backing you want and you have an iPhone you would be better off getting a cheap drum machine app and connecting your Phone to your Yamaha which has inbuilt USB audio.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission