2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (bluebilly, Calavera, anotherscott, 8ude, Bruce In Philly, CentauriB, Animisha, 19 invisible), 660 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Online Content
W
Hi- I’m tying to get a better understanding of chord progressions but I’m confused. I can see on the circle of fifths moving clockwise the intervals are fifths.
From what I’m reading on the internet-if I go counter clockwise it should be fourths, yet I’m still counting fifths. Obviously I’ve misinterpreted what a fourth is🙄

Last edited by Wayne2467; 06/27/22 10:06 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
S
Originally Posted by Wayne2467
From what I’m reading on the internet-if I go counter clockwise it should be fourths, yet I’m still counting fifths. Obviously I’ve misinterpreted what a fourth is🙄

There is a convention tied up in that, namely that the interval is defined as ascending regardless of which direction you go on the circle.

So if you go from C to F (one step counterclockwise at the top of the circle, you get C D E F. That’s a fourth.

You don’t spell out the interval as descending just because you are going counterclockwise on the circle. I mean, you could, and you would get C B A G F which is a descending fifth. But the convention is that if you don’t specify ascending or descending, then the default is ascending.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
W
OP Online Content
W
Originally Posted by scirocco

There is a convention tied up in that, namely that the interval is defined as ascending regardless of which direction you go on the circle.

So if you go from C to F (one step counterclockwise at the top of the circle, you get C D E F. That’s a fourth.

You don’t spell out the interval as descending just because you are going counterclockwise on the circle. I mean, you could, and you would get C B A G F which is a descending fifth. But the convention is that if you don’t specify ascending or descending, then the default is ascending.

I see- thanks for that

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What I had to sort out a decade ago:

When I studied basic theory, we learned of the V-I cadence and so the question I asked myself was, "What is V of C? What is V of D?" V-I in C major is G-C; V-I in D major is A-D - so the respective answers were G, and D. That's good for "finding V of". Here we're in the world of 5.

5 is also good for sharps key signatures. C (no sharps) - 5 up, G major (1 sharp) - 5 up, D major (2 sharps) etc.

Another view I was given later was, "Where does G go?" "Where does A go?" G goes to C; A goes to D. This is exactly the same V-I as before, but from the opposite end. And also, that movement isn't always a cadence. I was told that this view is more practical. Here we're in the world of 4.

4 is also good for flats key signatures. C (no flats) - 4 up, F major (1 flat) - 4 up, Bb major (2 flats), etc.

You don't have to memorize the circle or stare at a diagram, though it could be handy to have around to check. You have 5 fingers. When you put your hand on 5 adjacent keys, C - your RH pinky shows you the G. Move your hand over to G - your pinky shows the D. Though you do have to look out for it being a perfect 5th (B F#, not BF) --- if you can hear it, great; if you know your major or minor triads, your fifth is in the outer notes.

S
S
F Bead.
Charlotte Gets Drunk And Eats Butterflies.

smile

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
F Bead.
Charlotte Gets Drunk And Eats Butterflies.
smile
And there I was, about to look up the composer Ferdinand Bead, and his song about the inebriated Charlotte and her exotic gastronomic tastes. laugh

M
M
Simple Interval inversions. Up 4th and down a 5th are the same note. Same with all interval up a 2nd down 7th, up a 3rd down a 6th and so on. Also notice interval inversions all add up to 9. Up a 4th down a 5th 4 + 5 = 9, up a 7th down a 2nd 7 + 2 = 9 and so on. A lot of math in music.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
That's the issue with the music theory. The 'geniuses' that started to teach others (us people) about notes being at some 'distance' apart is just plain wrong in my opinion. Intervals should be considered as how many notes 'spanned' (which includes the two notes being compared, which the span is measured ----- based on a major scale in which the reference note determines the 'key' of the major scale being considered).

For example, choosing a note 'C'. Let it be the reference note, and the major scale considered - based on this reference note is 'C major'.

If we then go up to the next 'F', then the span of notes (including the two notes of interest) will be four. So it's a span of four. So the 'F' relative to reference note is what they call a 'fourth' - or perfect fourth (or whatever) in this major scale.

If we take the reference note 'C' again, and then go downward to the next F (downwards, not upwards), then the span is five notes in this major scale. So we have a perfect fifth.

If the span across the reference note and the non-reference note happens to be 1 semi-tone less than the 'regular' integer-number span, then we start getting 'minor' spans. So the span from the reference note 'C' and the upper 'E-flat' is a minor third. While the span from reference note 'C' and the upper 'E' is a major third.

It's not because us people can't understand the theory. It's the 'geniuses' (or no thanks to them) that started teaching the wrong things in music theory books etc, which has become generic --- which creates the issues. In fact, there is other music theory that they do not properly teach or define, which creates confusion. People only begin to properly understanding after putting in their own hard yards to get properly oriented - after it is properly figured out. What we actually need is a document where somebody puts in all the properly explained (and correct) theory/concepts - for everybody to properly understand. Might have to write one someday myself for our own benefits.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Also ----- forgot to mention. If we simply did set 'F' to be a reference note, and then the non-reference note is the 'C' above it, then using the reference note 'F' to determine the major scale (in this case F-major scale) will also result in a 'span' of five in the F-major scale (from 'F' up to 'C'), still resulting in a perfect fifth (as expected).

Originally Posted by MrShed
Simple Interval inversions. Up 4th and down a 5th are the same note. Same with all interval up a 2nd down 7th, up a 3rd down a 6th and so on. Also notice interval inversions all add up to 9. Up a 4th down a 5th 4 + 5 = 9, up a 7th down a 2nd 7 + 2 = 9 and so on. A lot of math in music.

Can you flesh this out with some examples? As it stands it could be confusing.

M
M
Originally Posted by keystring

Just hope on your keyboard and check it out. Play a C now play the G above it how many notes is that it's 5 up a fifth. Now go back to C now go down to the G below, count the note 4 down a 4th. Up a 5th 5 and down a 4th 4, 4 + 5 = 9 that just a trick we were taught in school to check ourselves with. Do again this time with a 3rd. C up to E is three notes up a 3rd. Now C down to E count the notes 6. 3 + 6 = 9.

Try that with all the notes of the C scale you'll see the same thing. A lot of math appears in music.

Just hope on your keyboard and check it out. Play a C now play the G above it how many notes is that it's 5 up a fifth. Now go back to C now go down to the G below, count the note 4 down a 4th. Up a 5th 5 and down a 4th 4, 4 + 5 = 9 that just a trick we were taught in school to check ourselves with. Do again this time with a 3rd. C up to E is three notes up a 3rd. Now C down to E count the notes 6. 3 + 6 = 9.

Try that with all the notes of the C scale you'll see the same thing. A lot of math appears in music.

Now it's clear what you're saying. You would have to play a different C to get the same note (the same G) of course. Otherwise your 1st G will be an octave above the 2nd G. But if you play C4 and go up a 5th; then play C5 and go down a 4th; you get the same G.

I also learned the "9" trick but it was for checking inversions: adds up to 9 and has the opposite quality. M2, m7 .... m3, M6 (CD, DC) (CA, AC). An inverted Perfect is always still a Perfect.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Here's a fun keyboard exercise - go around the circle of fifths until you get back to your original note, but stay in one octave. You do it by using fourths, the inversion of a fifth. Start with C, up to G, down to D... When you get to B, go down to F# (or Gb, there is where most shift to flats) and down again to Db to stay in the octave, until you finally go up to Bb, down to F, and back to C where you started.

You can do this in either direction.

Now do the same thing, but play the major chord for each instead of a single note. This sounds most natural going "forward" around the circle, because then each chord is the dominant of the next. This is a great chord spelling exercise.

Now do it again but add the major 7th to the chord - another great chord spelling exercise.

Now expand beyond the octave and do arpeggios on those chords, up and down the keyboard.

Now you are warmed up - start practicing!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
S
S
And there I was, about to look up the composer Ferdinand Bead, and his song about the inebriated Charlotte and her exotic gastronomic tastes. laugh

Actually I had it slightly wrong, should have been:

Charlotte Gets Drunk And Eats ButterFlies.

In my defence I don’t spend a lot of time playing music with six sharps. The mnemonic comes from Michael New’s excellent explanation of the circle.

This guy does some of the best demystification of basic beginner musical concepts I’ve ever seen. His comments are full of “why did no-one ever explain this to me before?”

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
W
OP Online Content
W
The minors are confusing me. For example if I play the scale of A flat major we get g sharp minor on the circle of fifths. Why can’t it be a flat minor?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The minors are confusing me. For example if I play the scale of A flat major we get g sharp minor on the circle of fifths. Why can’t it be a flat minor?
The relative minor of A-flat major is F minor (4 flats).

G-sharp minor is the relative minor of B major (5 sharps).

A-flat minor exists but it's a rare key (7 flats). Usually stuff will be written in G-sharp minor instead. But check out
this post for some examples:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ead-for-short-questions.html#Post3231300

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

The circle of fifth is either in major or in minor. It is not used to move between modes.

Blüthner model 6
S
S
For example if I play the scale of A flat major we get g sharp minor on the circle of fifths. Why can’t it be a flat minor?

You'll have to explain what you mean by "get". In what sense do you "get" it? You certainly don't get the notes of g sharp minor. What are you trying to achieve?

If you are looking for the connection between a major scale and its relative minor, one easy way to remind yourself is to go back three semitones (two scale degrees) from the major to get the minor. So going back from C major will give you A natural minor which uses the same notes and key signature. If you want the harmonic and melodic minors you then sharp the natural minor 7th and so on. This works for any major / minor combination.

Many circle of fifths diagrams have the relative minors shown inside the circle with the corresponding majors around the outside.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
W
OP Online Content
W
For example if I play the scale of A flat major we get g sharp minor on the circle of fifths. Why can’t it be a flat minor?

You'll have to explain what you mean by "get". In what sense do you "get" it? You certainly don't get the notes of g sharp minor. What are you trying to achieve?

If you are looking for the connection between a major scale and its relative minor, one easy way to remind yourself is to go back three semitones (two scale degrees) from the major to get the minor. So going back from C major will give you A natural minor which uses the same notes and key signature. If you want the harmonic and melodic minors you then sharp the natural minor 7th and so on. This works for any major / minor combination.

Many circle of fifths diagrams have the relative minors shown inside the circle with the corresponding majors around the outside.

It would be good if the Major scales correspond with the minors so a flat major and a flat minor rather than a flat major and g sharp minor
Going back three steps- that’s something I’ve learnt now- thanks- my theory sucks

Last edited by Wayne2467; 07/10/22 06:48 AM.
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Another fun exercise is maybe - start with left-hand C2, and right hand on F7 ....... then head upward with the left-hand, and lead downward with the right-hand. Contrary motion. The left-hand will end up around F4#, and right hand will end up around B4. Here, the left-hand can then progress downward again, while right-hand progresses upward again (still in contrary motion style).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Success with Sound Treatments - let's see your studio
by drewhpianoman - 08/09/22 12:48 PM
Live Performance via MS Teams?
by Piano World - 08/09/22 11:45 AM
Info on Bernhard Stopper's TUNIC software products
by Daniel Stopper - 08/09/22 07:57 AM
Roland V-Piano vs Pure Accoustic
by overthinker - 08/09/22 06:41 AM
Alternative to replacing hammer felts?
by chopin_r_us - 08/09/22 04:36 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,310
Posts3,215,020
Members106,043
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission