2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3228584 06/27/22 03:44 PM
A
Acceber Offline OP
OP Offline
A
My grand piano is missing the fallboard decal (one of these days I'll post my story on the "my new piano" thread). I personally don't care, but my 7 year old is having a hard time finding middle C, so I was thinking of replacing it.

Questions:
How hard is it to do?
I found one on a Google search from Gemm Piano Supply. Are they reputable?
Does anyone know another source of fallboard decals?

Thanks!

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Here's one source:

https://www.decalsunlimited.com

As long as you don't need a St***way decal you should be able to find what you need.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Here's one source:

https://www.decalsunlimited.com

As long as you don't need a St***way decal you should be able to find what you need.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I saw a piano once that had the decal (on purpose, by the maker) way off to the right, with the center of the fallboard blank. I thought, How on Earth is one supposed to find Middle C? laugh

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
I saw a piano once that had the decal (on purpose, by the maker) way off to the right, with the center of the fallboard blank. I thought, How on Earth is one supposed to find Middle C? laugh

I've always thought the logo placement here was kind of weird, but interesting:

[Linked Image]

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
A
Acceber Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I guess if you can afford a Bösendorfer you are probably a good enough pianist to KNOW where middle C is. 😆

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
For the nonce, you could just put a piece of tape over the center of the nameboard, if all you want to do is orient someone towards Middle C.

The old decals were very difficult to use, and are no longer available. Rub-on decals are easier, but you might want to spray a clear coat over them. Most new pianos these days have laser-cut brass inlays, which is beyond what most people can do.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
How long would it take to get an intelligent seven-year old to find middle C without having to go to the trouble of finding an appropriate decal along with the (potential) hassle of attaching it properly?

Wouldn't a simple, erasable mark on the key be enough until orientation is secure?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Acceber
My grand piano is missing the fallboard decal (one of these days I'll post my story on the "my new piano" thread). I personally don't care, but my 7 year old is having a hard time finding middle C, so I was thinking of replacing it.

Maybe the location of the chair ------ around the middle of the piano allows middle C to be found once we just sit at the chair. Middle C will pretty much be right in front of us.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The key hole perhaps? Remember D is "doggie in the kennel" (lies between 2 black notes)

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
True! Or look for the set of keys that has only 2 black-coloured ones (that come in a pair). Not triplets. And the white-coloured key on the on the left of the pair of black coloured keys is 'C'. And - if we sit right at the middle of the piano, then middle C is pretty much the one in front of you.

A
Acceber Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Piano doesn't have a keyhole. Maybe I am overthinking it because her ear is good enough to know she played the note in the wrong octave without my telling her. But it would look nice to have the decal.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

I've always thought the logo placement here was kind of weird, but interesting:

[Linked Image]

I actually like that much better than putting the logo above the music rest, or even worse, smashing it between the music rest and the keyboard.

I've always thought it strange that, when closed, you often can't even see what brand the piano is. I wonder why nobody places the decal on the main body. In the case of this upright, just above the latch in the fallboard when it's open.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by SouthPark
True! Or look for the set of keys that has only 2 black-coloured ones (that come in a pair). Not triplets. And the white-coloured key on the on the left of the pair of black coloured keys is 'C'. And - if we sit right at the middle of the piano, then middle C is pretty much the one in front of you.

typo ---- omit one of the 'on the'

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Falsch
I've always thought it strange that, when closed, you often can't even see what brand the piano is. I wonder why nobody places the decal on the main body. In the case of this upright, just above the latch in the fallboard when it's open.

Not sure. Maybe because the maker traditionally wants to make it look like furniture (eg. a cabinet etc). And normally - wooden furniture probably doesn't have maker logos on them. Guessing only!

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I don't know if there is some unspoken rule about no logos on a closed fallboard...but I don't buy the idea of them choosing to be subtle, given how happy manufacturers are to slap their huge logos all over the sides of the rim! laugh

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
A
Acceber Offline OP
OP Offline
A

typo ---- omit one of the 'on the'

Just for sake of clarification, I've known my way around a piano keyboard since I was 6, and she's known what a C is since she was 5 or 6 too. The problem is for her to identify which octave to play in. smile

I'm sure you were trying to be helpful but I found this somewhat condescending.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I don't know if there is some unspoken rule about no logos on a closed fallboard...but I don't buy the idea of them choosing to be subtle, given how happy manufacturers are to slap their huge logos all over the sides of the rim! laugh

No logos on the closed fallboard does seem to be the unspoken rule, but I noticed a piano recently that did have a decal on the outside of the fallboard, so one showed in roughly the same place whether it was opened or closed. I'm no 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure it was a Viennese Classic by Kimball.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Wow, so it's not easy to find a picture of a Viennese Classic with the fallboard closed. And the one I could did not have the decal on it. As I scrolled, I had a recollection of it being in a video, and noticing it because it showed up before and after the fallboard closed (or opened...). Anyway, maybe it's a one-off where someone added the decal. ?? Or perhaps my memory is faulty. whome

Originally Posted by Acceber
I guess if you can afford a Bösendorfer you are probably a good enough pianist to KNOW where middle C is. 😆
OR you can pay someone to find it for you!!! LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission