2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (anotherscott, AB99, Aaron McKeon, Animisha, Belger1900, Carey, bluebillytwo, 16 invisible), 642 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S

They are time stamped. If you find it helpful I kindly ask to my kid's band channel laugh.

Now Which one is your favourite?

My original review of the pianos:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ng-higher-quality-grand.html#Post3228391

C.Bechstein L167 0:00
C.Bechstein A175 2:05
Estonia L168 4:14
Shigeru Kawai SK2 7:00
C.Bechstein A190 8:29
C.Bechstein A192 14:39
C.Bechstein B212 18:10
Schimmel K195 20:52
Schimmek K219 (chat in background) 24:11
W.Schimmel W180 27:53
Steinway Model A 30:30
Steinway Model B 33:14
Steinway Model D 36:09

Last edited by Steven Y. A.; 06/28/22 09:09 PM.

PLEYEL P124
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Geez OE1FEU, there's no reason to be so nasty! If you don't have anything nice to say, you don't have to say anything.

I don't have time to listen, but Steven, you clearly put a lot of work into making this video. Hopefully others find it helpful!

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow, the attacks we see here sometimes.

Soli Chopin gloria
M
M
OE1FEU, some of us asked OP for these recordings in his other thread after he let on that he had them, so he merely gave us what we asked for.

Tough to choose for me. I'm going to loop this while I work tomorrow, then decide. Obviously, the acoustics/dynamics of the recordings vary with the pianos' locations, but I'll do my best to mentally allow for that. It will be fun to try.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I realize that this is a collection of "audio samples" and not a selection of "comparisons," because comparisons would more than likely be based on comparable sizes of different brands. However this collection goes from a 167 cm. piano to a 274 cm. piano. Most would favour, since we asked which was our favourite, the tone of the larger pianos rather than the smaller ones.

That doesn't discount the fact that some of the smaller pianos sound quite good, but I wouldn't want to base my choice on these recordings. Listening on my laptop speakers, many of the pianos sounded quite similar. I suppose a fairer judgment might be obtained by listening through more high-end equipment if the recordings were up to that challenge.

That said, this does represent quite a cross-section of piano brands and sizes and, according to the information on Youtube, all were found at only two different dealers, is that right?

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
I could never tell anything about any piano on the basis of a recording, for some reason my ears are just not attuned to it. But these were fun to listen to, you guys really went out of your way to try a lot of different models. Bravo.

OE1FEU, criticisms of the prep and the recording are fair (if unnecessarily harsh) but your comment about the playing itself is just plain cruel. Why go out of your way to make a fellow human feel bad? And in a forum where we all share the love of piano as well...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
Online Content
When comparing pianos one should always play the same piece. Playing different pieces makes a comparison close to impossible.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
True, pianoloverus
Steven, it might be a good idea to add timestamps to specific pieces. For example:

Piece 1:
0:11
2:11

Piece 2:
0:26
5:40

And so on. I'm too lazy to do the rest, but maybe somebody else could.
When comparing sound samples, I like to switch back and forth between pianos, but with the SAME piece. The very first seconds when switching back and forth are the most useful IMO.

Soli Chopin gloria
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
So difficult to draw conclusions from this kind of audio. I played some of the audio file through on my laptop and as usual found that everything sounds pretty similar on You Tube. I suspect YT processes audio at quite low quality, and is then made worse by my laptop miniscule speakers!

Nice idea though. What did you use to do the recordings?

I tend to agree that a meaningful comparison does require at least a short section of the same piece - but also accept that it becomes tiresome as a listening experience and for the player.

I've tried recording my own piano at home many times, using all sorts of different set ups, from iPhone, through twin mic Zoom and pro mics plugged into a Revox and Nagra. Once processed to play on the computer or sound system, it always sounds a lot different to me compared with listening to the actual live piano. For that reason I couldn't choose a piano based on recordings.

C212 used for me to delude myself I will one day be a good player, and to do a bit of teaching.
R
R
I enjoyed this. Having touched a lot of pianos the last 2 years, I recognized many of the makes in you video.

Its enough to give someone an idea of the tone of the piano and go out an try one.

it is such a personal choice.

I was surprised by the Schimmel. Never having tried one. Hopefully I will see one someday so I can compare.

I do not think you can ever really hear the sound from a recording. In the end you have to play one for real to see what it sounds like from the bench.

Even then, you are not sure until you get it home.

Thanks for the time and effort.

Ron

Ron

BĂ–SENDORFER 280VC, Steinway D-274, Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4, Auddict_Dorian_Marko, Modern U, The Grandeur, Lounge Lizard EP-4, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
M
M
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
I was surprised by the Schimmel. Never having tried one.

Thanks for the time and effort.
Same.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the comments. I should be more clear: its just shopping experience that we played whatever we felt like on each individual piano, on a tascam recorder. It was never intended for a series audio comparison. It's very different from what we heard in the showroom, but still similar enough to get sound signature out of each piano. A few people requested for this so I edited the long session and reduced to 40min.
don't put up too much expectation on this laugh

PLEYEL P124
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by AJB
So difficult to draw conclusions from this kind of audio. I played some of the audio file through on my laptop and as usual found that everything sounds pretty similar on You Tube. I suspect YT processes audio at quite low quality, and is then made worse by my laptop miniscule speakers!

Nice idea though. What did you use to do the recordings?

I tend to agree that a meaningful comparison does require at least a short section of the same piece - but also accept that it becomes tiresome as a listening experience and for the player.

I've tried recording my own piano at home many times, using all sorts of different set ups, from iPhone, through twin mic Zoom and pro mics plugged into a Revox and Nagra. Once processed to play on the computer or sound system, it always sounds a lot different to me compared with listening to the actual live piano. For that reason I couldn't choose a piano based on recordings.
]
the recording setup is less than ideal. I used a Tascam DR-05 placed on right corner of each piano facing towards bass string. Hence they all treble heavy, and the distance is very short. My favorite setup for piano is blumlein, around 2.5ft away from the soundboard.

PLEYEL P124
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
#1 Steinway D

#2 Steinway B

1961-1964: Lester or Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1991-2021: Schomacker Model A (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
K
K
Thanks for all the efforts you put in this. The S&S D sounds really great. I'm pleasantly surprised by the W180, I could easily live with that instrument, sounds very balanced. The L167 and A175 sound rather uninteresting, but might be due to tuning.

Schubert, Beethoven, Brahms, Bach and Berg
2017 Shigeru Kawai SK-2 (grew up with a 1950'es Zimmermann upright)
RME Babyface (mk.1) + Line Audio CM4
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing. From the recordings (I maybe listened to 20-30 seconds of each), I enjoyed the basic tone of:

Estonia L168
Shigeru Kawai SK2
C.Bechstein A190
Schimmel K195
Steinway Model D

Not all of these pianos were "ready to show" in terms of tuning/prep, based on what I was hearing. When you have whittled your finalist list down to a few serious contenders, consider calling in advance to have these pianos properly ready for your evaluation. When I did this, a week in advance of visiting a dealer, the vast majority of the time things were in good order when I got there.

Sorry for the mean-spirited comment, out of left field-- it was really uncalled for.
(I believe that user has been banned from the forum, if you click on their profile.)

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Z
Z
I also want to thank you for taking the time and making it ready for us to hear. I mean, you didn't need to do it for yourself, it was a service for us, so it's more than annoying when you get mean-spirited comments for it.

From what I could hear, I liked the Schimmel K195 and the Estonia L168. For different reasons, I suppose. However, I'm nowhere near as savvy as other commenters here. Just personal taste. But you also know that in the end, it doesn't matter what others say. It must please you (and probably even more so) your daughter. I just always really like the earthy/darker tone of the Estonias. How it behaves when listening "real" directly on the instrument is another question. Never had the chance to play a Grand from Estonia. The Schimmel sounded clear and sophisticated.

Definitely great how much time and love you invest in the project. Anticipation (also or especially for others) is definitely also a great joy smile

Last edited by zeitlos; 06/29/22 02:18 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Rubens
True, pianoloverus
Steven, it might be a good idea to add timestamps to specific pieces. For example:

Piece 1:
0:11
2:11

Piece 2:
0:26
5:40

And so on. I'm too lazy to do the rest, but maybe somebody else could.
When comparing sound samples, I like to switch back and forth between pianos, but with the SAME piece. The very first seconds when switching back and forth are the most useful IMO.

If you listen to the video on Youtube, there are time listings for each piano beneath the video. If you listen to the video here, there are breaks in the time bar and each piano is identified when the mouse is held over each segment of that time bar. Both, actually, were very useful in listening to the videos, and comparison was facilitated by that.

The only further help would have been playing the same piece on all pianos. Still, a lot of work went into this to give us some interesting insights.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
OP Offline
S
Unfortunately to share the audio samples is an afterthought..
It was intended as a day for three old friends shopping and trying out nice pianos. We pretty much played whatever we felt like. Maybe next time before the purchase ill do a more serious video and setup.

Steven

PLEYEL P124
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
If you listen to the video on Youtube, there are time listings for each piano beneath the video. If you listen to the video here, there are breaks in the time bar and each piano is identified when the mouse is held over each segment of that time bar. Both, actually, were very useful in listening to the videos, and comparison was facilitated by that.

I know that. I was talking about timestamps to the beginning of each piece, which is something entirely different.
I might add those links myself later today if I have the time to do it.

Soli Chopin gloria
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
FOLDABLE PIANO 2022
by Skyscrapersax - 08/15/22 02:22 PM
These cool lights: DIY or equipment to buy somewhere?
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/15/22 12:58 PM
Expression pedal for Yamaha P125
by Gary L - 08/15/22 12:54 PM
Is this too much to ask?
by Animisha - 08/15/22 10:51 AM
Is this too much to ask?
by Animisha - 08/15/22 08:31 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,411
Posts3,216,532
Members106,089
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission