2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3227853 06/24/22 02:12 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I see news reports of another cancellation for "an acute arm injury."

Is this the elbow problem that has forced Daniil Trifonov's sporadic cancellations in the past?

Anybody know more about it?

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know but just a few weeks ago he was still bothered by his injury from November 2021...

https://www.ludwig-van.com/toronto/...estra-trifonov-plays-emperor/2022-05-28/

Soli Chopin gloria
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
This is his statement

I was very much looking forward to these performances, but the condition of my left elbow following the injury sustained back in November requires some extra treatment and rest. I will be very happy to come back fully recovered in the future

https://www.ludwig-van.com/toronto/...estra-trifonov-plays-emperor/2022-05-25/

Online Content
I don't know if his injury was caused by overuse but I don't understand why he seemingly plays so many concerts. I have no figures but my guess is he is playing 100+ concerts/year. I don't think he has to worry about money or sustaining his career at this point, so I don't see the need for so many performances. OTOH I'm sure he's intelligent enough to take everything into consideration.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I don't know if his injury was caused by overuse but I don't understand why he seemingly plays so many concerts. I have no figures but my guess is he is playing 100+ concerts/year. I don't think he has to worry about money or sustaining his career at this point, so I don't see the need for so many performances. OTOH I'm sure he's intelligent enough to take everything into consideration.

He reports it was a accident in Nov 2021

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Sounds like a pinched nerve, possibly. But if it goes back some time, that should be called "chronic," shouldn't it?

Anyway, I'm sure he feels like he's "on a roll," thus is keeping up packed seasons, which must be exhausting.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If symptoms due to that injury keep coming back, then it may be considered a chronic condition that he acquired from that injury. If not fully treated or resolved, these conditions tend to worsen with time. Let's hope he fully recovers this time before resuming his career, lest we should expect to see more frequent breaks in the future.

Soli Chopin gloria
K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
if he gets 70,000 per concert, that's 7 million dollars a year, under the table, meet and greets, private lessons, stock tips, closer to 10 million, he can't do these circuits when he's older, so he has to cash in now.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 06/28/22 02:51 PM.
F
F
It would not surprise me if it’s a left elbow problem that it might be an ulnar nerve entrapment. It’s give you both pain and loss of sensation. I tried my left ulnar nerve entrapment with rest but it did not help. The surgery relocates the ulnar nerve space we’re it will not become entrapped and likely remain symptom free. I have 7 years S/P surgery and I am symptom free since my surgery. Trifonov if that is the issue needs to strongly consider surgery. This is not career threatening surgery by any means. He lives in North New Jersey so he has easy access to the best orthopedic hospital in the world and elbow/hand surgeon Dr. Scott Wolfe

Serge P. Marinkovic, MD
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And nobody wants a Trifonov with a trapped left ulnar nerve! Imagine that left pinky getting all sloppy. I just can't.

Soli Chopin gloria
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Thanks Fred for the great information. I hope Daniel doesn’t become so fearful of any possibly needed surgery that he rejects needed treatment. I’ve seen it happen where patients reject the best medical advice out of fear.

Online Content
Originally Posted by KawaFanboi
if he gets 70,000 per concert, that's 7 million dollars a year, under the table, meet and greets, private lessons, stock tips, closer to 10 million, he can't do these circuits when he's older, so he has to cash in now.
Are you making up the 70K figure or do you know it as a fact? I very much doubt he gives private lessons, and no one knows enough to always make money in the stock market. I don't think pianists get paid under the table or for meet and greets.

I very much doubt his reason for playing so many concerts is "to cash in now". I'm sure he's intelligent enough to weight the pros and cons of an extremely heavy concert schedule. He is probably already quite wealthy and can definitely continue playing for many decades if he remains healthy and has the desire.

He's not going to be playing 100 concerts/year when he's 70 but he won't have to. You make it sound like he only has ten more years when he can make money from concerts which is, of course, not the case.

F
F
I really hope he uses the Hospital of Special Surgery in Manhattan since I think he lives in Hackensack. I hope it isn’t focal dystonia which Botox helps but doesn’t cure. I just hope he is treated there they have an immense history with athletes and musicians orthopedic problems.

Serge P. Marinkovic, MD
A
A
Well if the Washington Post is anything to go by, Vladimir Horowitz, at the age of ~84, collected the equivalent of $427,000 for a single 85-minute concert in 1987.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...on/0737d0e6-0f19-4000-afe2-bdd551619197/

Does Trifonov really need to cash in now? I'm sure he has a lifetime of great earnings ahead of him if he remains in good health.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I don’t necessarily see it as ‘cashing in’ now, but rather saving for a rainy day; and all things being equal, the sky turns darker as we age, and whilst it might not always rain, who wants to go out, and play, on a cloudy day?

I’d say he takes advantage of all the brightness that comes with young age; because fairly quickly it goes away, and a concert at “84”, for any amount of money, is not something to look forward to…..

I’m not saying we should stop playing into old age, but the older we get, the better it feels to simply stay in for that rainy day, and play, for fun, at home, sans the envious collective gaze of a multitude that almost was, but not quite (as good as Gould).

Oh yeah, there’s also wear & tear and injuries, and whilst injuries can occur at any age, as with Trifonov, there is a greater chance of recovery when one is young.

Pete14 #3229266 06/30/22 08:23 AM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Pete14
I don’t necessarily see it as ‘cashing in’ now, but rather saving for a rainy day; and all things being equal, the sky turns darker as we age, and whilst it might not always rain, who wants to go out, and play, on a cloudy day?

I’d say he takes advantage of all the brightness that comes with young age; because fairly quickly it goes away, and a concert at “84”, for any amount of money, is not something to look forward to…..

I’m not saying we should stop playing into old age, but the older we get, the better it feels to simply stay in for that rainy day, and play, for fun, at home, sans the envious collective gaze of a multitude that almost was, but not quite (as good as Gould).

Oh yeah, there’s also wear & tear and injuries, and whilst injuries can occur at any age, as with Trifonov, there is a greater chance of recovery when one is young.

Not all concert pianists have the same idea of how much they want to perform. For example, Marths Argerich, at 81, has 81 concerts scheduled between July 5 and the end of the year.

BTW: Her net worth is estimated at 6.9 million $

No pleasures of sitting at home on a rainy day for her 😊 she obviously has enough saved for a lot of rainy days at home

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
[quote. For example, Martha Argerich, at 81, has 81 concerts scheduled between July 5 and the end [/quote]

Typo she has 31 concerts scheduled

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dogperson
Not all concert pianists have the same idea of how much they want to perform. For example, Marths Argerich, at 81, has 81 concerts scheduled between July 5 and the end of the year.

No pleasures of sitting at home on a rainy day for her 😊 she obviously has enough saved for a lot of rainy days at home

I’m not familiar with Marths, but I speculate there might be something amiss at home that compels her to still go out there at 81.

Keep in mind that we, the audience, only see the flashy part, but not what happens behind/before the curtains (cheap hotels, vertigo, where the heck am I?), and for an 81-year-old to still be willing to put up with all o’ that and-then-some for an applause, heck, even for a standing ovation, seems a bit suspect (as you mentioned, she is rich, so it’s not for the money that Marths does it.

What is amiss with Marths, I ask? Do the skeletons keep her up at night? cool

Pete14 #3229271 06/30/22 08:59 AM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by dogperson

I’m not familiar with Marths, but I speculate there might be something amiss at home that compels her to still go out there at 81.

Keep in mind that we, the audience, only see the flashy part, but not what happens behind/before the curtains (cheap hotels, vertigo, where the heck am I?), and for an 81-year-old to still be willing to put up with all o’ that and-then-some for an applause, heck, even for a standing ovation, seems a bit suspect (as you mentioned, she is rich, so it’s not for the money that Marths does it.

What is amiss with Marths, I ask? Do the skeletons keep her up at night? cool

Perhaps Martha just wants to continue performing? This is only one example of a 70+ yo’s performance schedule — there are others with the same pace

You should listen to the power and virtuosity at 80

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Oh, you meant Martha (not Marths), silly me!

For a moment I wondered if Marths and Martha were related, but didn’t ask.

Now, I don’t know what drives Martha, and perhaps I overstepped by implying there might be something going on at home that compels her to go out on the road at the age of 81, but still I’d say Martha is the exception, not the norm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission