2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3234366 07/20/22 07:27 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I live in the Deep South not far from Florida. I had a grand piano with wood damage from some kind of bug or worm. This is the second piano in which I've seen this. The first had eaten much of the keyed and even a couple of the keys. This piano also had some of the keyed eaten as well as a fairly large what appears to be an entry hole above the left leg. It leaves behind very fine stuff the consistency of fine sand. The client had he piano in storage as few years. It doesn't appear to be wood bees, carpenter ants, or termites. Both pianos came from Florida. I've never seen this when I lived further north. You southern folks want to chime in?

piano tuner/technician
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Steven Bolstridge
I live in the Deep South not far from Florida. I had a grand piano with wood damage from some kind of bug or worm. This is the second piano in which I've seen this. The first had eaten much of the keyed and even a couple of the keys. This piano also had some of the keys eaten as well as a fairly large what appears to be an entry hole above the left leg. It leaves behind very fine stuff that is the consistency of fine sand. The client had he piano in storage as few years. It doesn't appear to be wood bees, carpenter ants, or termites. Both pianos came from Florida. I've never seen this when I lived further north. You southern folks want to chime in?
I was in an old church several years in which termites had destroyed almost the entire pin block

piano tuner/technician
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
I've never seen anything like that here in New England.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Powderpost beetles? It seems to fit the geographical distribution, powdery sawdust, and exit holes.

cefinow #3235053 07/22/22 09:34 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by cefinow
Powderpost beetles? It seems to fit the geographical distribution, powdery sawdust, and exit holes.

I believe you are correct. I only hope they are not still in her piano. My 10 year old grandson told he wants to learn something new every day. I've learned something today. Thanks

piano tuner/technician
D
D
I have built furniture out with beetle infestation. They are very difficult to eliminate. Heat will kill them as when wood is kiln dried but otherwise tough. I would do some research on woodworking sites to see if there are recommendations.

Bosendorfer 200
Yamaha P515 - camping piano!
Previous - Kawai RX3, Yamaha c3 (1985), Yamaha CLP 785, Roland FP30
Recording Gear - Focusrite Clarette, Rode NT1-A's

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I had powder post beetles in an old house I owned, sounds like what you describe. The eradication option I chose was to use a borate containing compound (like Borax) on the bare wood, which was the floor joists in the basement in my case. It's pretty harmless stuff so easy/safe to use if the wood isn't finished. They also make it in capsules that you can embed in the wood for ongoing treatment, and it comes in a powder that you can sprinkle on surfaces so the bugs walk through it and then ingest it when they groom. The other options which I didn't pursue were extreme heat or cold, or bag the house and use a chemical gas that I can't remember what it was. I didn't have any problem getting rid of them with borax and I also put a dehumidifier in the basement, it helps to reduce the humidity level. They only lay their eggs on bare wood, which is a problem for a piano because there's quite a few internal places they can get a foothold. Subzero temps for 2 days will kill all of their life cycles, so if you didn't live in Georgia you could move the piano outside in subzero weather for a few days and you'd be sure of killing them.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
We have powder post beetles here in Washington State. They can get in pianos via an unfinished surface.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission