2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (Bob Fadi, BMKE, brennbaer, B3boy, 36251, 15 invisible), 1,004 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I may live in NYC, but I'm a native of North Carolina.

Athens...that's a college town, isn't it?

smile

T
T
Yeah, we're definitely blue in this county! heck, we got bike lanes on our bike lanes!

Uh, blue except maybe me. f Hey, I quit it all. I (temporarily) refuse to read the papers, the news - I just don't care about anything but pianos right now. That's why I'm here. I find it much more interesting whether or not certain Italian spruce from a certain Italian forest makes a better soundboard.

Don't forget that your Italian tree has to be cut down during the last part of the waning moon phase during winter for best results. smile

T
T
Have we sabatoged this thread? laugh I so sorry!

Children - should be given the desire to play, but not the permission to touch. (Oh and give your political leaning with your answer).

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great responses on this thread. I think the overwhelming consensus is to teach children to respect the piano and take the opportunity to encourage them to learn to play. I didn't have such a firm opinion on the matter until I read others thoughts.

Now to other unresolved matters. Monica, will this modify your approach to your brother in law? wink laugh

M. Purney- its not just the type of tree and when, you forgot that only certified tree thumpers can tell which Italian trees should be cut down in the first place. Also proper seasoning is essential and the water for the damp chaser and even the air from where the tree was cut down need to be part of the total solution. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Slightly right of Ronald Reagan, here. I let my son and his friends "play" a bit on my piano. They aren't permitted to bang wildly away, though, or to have food or drink nearby. Then again, my piano cost much less than $50K. I'm not sure how I'd feel if it was a top tier instrument.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This stuff works pretty good.

[Linked Image]

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am sometimes left, sometimes right. Anyway, I allow kids to play on my piano, I just don't like them to bang on my piano just because it's noisy but not because I am afraid they would hurt the piano. When they did bang on the piano, I told them them not to do that, and they stopped. My tuner and I pound on the keys a lot more forcefully.

Get a piano cover. It seems to keep the kids off of my piano. The young kids can't quite figure out how to get it off. I have experienced being in the kitchen and then hearing horrendous sounds coming from my piano in the living room. If you will have children under 5 roaming your home, I say lock it up and cover it!
I know,I am an ogre, but they can play when I can be in the room. After all the piano is a musical instrument and not a TOY to pound on with wooden toy hammers or little matchbox cars !! or to climb on like a jungle gym............yes, I have seen this ##@@. (The parents should really get these kids out more)

Maxx
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I have a 7 and 5 yo and I think the answer is fairly simple and consistent (i.e. it applies to EVERYONE, not just your kids or just the neighbors kids). The rule is you respect the piano. Everyone is free to play it, but not play with/on it. The "other" kids are told the rules and as long as they follow they are allowed to play the piano. Anyone not following the rules and it's off limits. This goes for the grand and the digitals. The key point is to understand that these are instruments and not toys (but equally important to understand that they can be just as fun as toys).

I personally don't like the pretentiousness that surrounds things related to classical music, including the instruments, so I try very hard not to limit access based purely on price/appearance. I want my kids (and all kids) to grow up with music as a regular part of their lives, not as some exclusive thing. I understand that an occasional ding/scratch/mark might be the price you pay (literally) but I'm willing to pay it (but I understand that others may not).

I
ilm Offline
I
Originally posted by Apostle:
What Boxer said....

IMO you are under no reasonable obligation to allow the neighborhood rascals to bang away on your new Steinway....The mere idea is unconscionable....train your own children to keep them away and intervene if necessary...designate the piano as a "no touch" zone for visiting little people. Use yellow police tape if necessary...Easily done...no regrets.....You're in charge.

I
ilm Offline
I
What Boxer said....

IMO you are under no reasonable obligation to allow the neighborhood rascals to bang away on your new Steinway....The mere idea is unconscionable....train your own children to keep them away and intervene if necessary...designate the piano as a "no touch" zone for visiting little people. Use yellow police tape if necessary...Easily done...no regrets.....You're in charge.

I
ilm Offline
I
I was trying to get the above post by Apostle on my reply. I agree with the comments.

What Boxer said....

C
C
Do people think it is okay to touch someone else's piano because of how big and "in your face" it is? Would anyone think it is okay to pick up someone's violin without asking or strum on someone else's guitar? I know my brother keeps all of his guitars right out in the open ... do smaller instruments have the same allure? I won't even bring up clarinets or saxaphones. This is such an interesting thread to me and I think it goes beyond just children being curious. I've seen my share of adults in someone else's house start plunking away on a piano. I guess I am wondering, in a long winded way, what makes the piano such a "community" instrument.

T
T
I hate the whole "wash your hands" thing. It's like "now go wash your hands sonny" AND THEN BANG ON THE PIANO.

Yes, I think they should wash their hands of course, but that should be about the fourth thing you say after I'll kill you if you bang on it, I'll kill you if you scratch it, I'll kill you if you touch anything but the keys, oh, AND WASH YOUR HANDS.

And why won't anybody just say that it's a good idea to have a second piano (the $400 model) in the rec room or the basement or the kids room and let that be the one they destroy. That's a very cheap and effective way to encourage piano while not allowing them to touch the nice one.

To think kids won't damage a piano is like pretending your son won't destroy his car when he takes it to college. He will. Or rather, his friends will.

K
K
Originally posted by bitWrangler:
I have a 7 and 5 yo and I think the answer is fairly simple and consistent (i.e. it applies to EVERYONE, not just your kids or just the neighbors kids). The rule is you respect the piano. Everyone is free to play it, but not play with/on it. The "other" kids are told the rules and as long as they follow they are allowed to play the piano. Anyone not following the rules and it's off limits. This goes for the grand and the digitals. The key point is to understand that these are instruments and not toys (but equally important to understand that they can be just as fun as toys).

I personally don't like the pretentiousness that surrounds things related to classical music, including the instruments, so I try very hard not to limit access based purely on price/appearance. I want my kids (and all kids) to grow up with music as a regular part of their lives, not as some exclusive thing. I understand that an occasional ding/scratch/mark might be the price you pay (literally) but I'm willing to pay it (but I understand that others may not).
Common sense always prevails......

Piano, pro audio,guitar and MI sales.
Yamaha, Pearl River, Bergmann, Remington.
Well I guess I'll be the dissenting voice on this one---probably because I don't have children.

I wouldn't want a hoard of little people crawling all over a prized posession of mine either.

You don't owe their parents an explanation and you are not obligated to foster a love of playing in other people's children. If it were me, I might even go so far as to put a big red price tag on it with the words "You break it, you buy it" written in big letters.

Guess I'm just not much for putting your things at risk to foster random children's development.

I
ilm Offline
I
No TLuvva - I disagree. No one should have to think of going out and buying a second piano just for others to play instead of the nicer piano. Besides that, kids/people are still going to want to touch the nice piano, maybe as a comparison to the second cheaper piano.

C
C
First situation: a bunch of kids are playing around with the/my piano. They do not want to hear any music. They just want to strike the keys as hard as possible. Oh, bad thing. I don’t like it.
Second situation: the little daughter of a friend of mine, just 5 years old, sits quietly on a chair and hears the music. I can feel she's moved. Oh, I want this little girl to play the/my piano! No doubt.
I think that kids, as grown persons, are different and can’t be treated equally. To me, music is kind of a religion and we need truly initiated people just from the very beginning.
A discriminatory approach? Yes.

K
K
I get parents in the store looking to buy a first guitar for their child everyday. They always want the cheapest guitar they can get because they are afraid the kid will not stick with it.

They buy a really inexpensive guitar that does not stay in tune, is tough to play, and sounds terrible...the kid soon quits. The parents then feel "justified" they did not spend any more.

Some don't want to even get involved and just want the $250 Guitar Pak. If I sense they are truly interested I'll convince them to spend ALL $250 on just the guitar and give the kid a fighting chance. They usually buy the more expensive guitar and a few "accessories" as well. ONe can get a decent guitar today with all the tooling and technology available for $300.

The point is why buy a piece of junk for the kids to bang on in the cellar when one has a nice piano already? What can they possibly do to ruin a piano? Whether one has a $5000 PR or $50,000 Steinway its all relative. The $5000 piano represents just as huge an investment to one family as a $50,000 piano to another.

Keep kids away from things that will hurt them not things that will open their minds. Whatever unlikely accident "happens" to the piano can be fixed. The effect of denying a child access to express themselves making their own brand of music cannot be and they will remember it.

Teach them to respect the instrument not avoid it!!

Those of us who grew up with plastic on the furniture, lampshades, and towels no one could use know so well how anal people can be about things.

Piano, pro audio,guitar and MI sales.
Yamaha, Pearl River, Bergmann, Remington.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering question regarding middle C
by Alex442 - 08/18/22 07:29 AM
Noise when Jack hits Hammer butt
by CoffeeBreak - 08/17/22 11:09 PM
Kohler & Campbell Serial Numbers
by Dave_Toona - 08/17/22 10:20 PM
Young Chang U-121
by Joseph Fleetwood - 08/17/22 07:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,450
Posts3,217,262
Members106,112
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission