2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
I am an avid "Reflections" listener (from the first show on....) and have read all of David Dubal's book, but I missed the title and artist of the Bach "Sheep May Safely Graze" transcription for solo piano on June 11...

It doesn't seem to be listed in their past show lineup (the title isn't obvious anyway), I have e-mailed them, but no reponse.

The transcription and performance was one of the most beautiful piano transcriptions I have ever heard!!!! I need to get the title & artist so I can buy the recording & the music---

I sure hope someone has an answer for me...
Thanks,

Mat

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry, Mat, no answer, but I am familiar with this work (I sang it in a choral festival), and I didn't know a piano transcription existed. It is beautiful, and I am very interested in this!

Musically,
Benjamin Francis
http://www.myspace.com/benjaminfrancis
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Maybe you can try a search on a CD site with the most popular Bach transcribers, like Busoni.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I am not sure of the program on that particular date, but recently Dubal played Grainger's transcription of this piece. Grainger titled it Blithe Bells. You need big hands for the opening measures since it's all in tenths.

Online Content
Originally posted by The D's Pianist:
Sorry, Mat, no answer, but I am familiar with this work (I sang it in a choral festival), and I didn't know a piano transcription existed. It is beautiful, and I am very interested in this!
There are many(at least 5) transcriptions of this piece.

When is this show on, and what network?

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
according to the WQXR site, this was the programme that night:

LISZT Bagatelle sans tonalite
HAYDN Sonata 31 in A-flat: III Finale
GRAINGER Blithe Bells
BEETHOVEN Bagatelle, Op 126 No 6
SCRIABIN Etude, Op 8 No 3
PERSICHETTI Unroll the Flicker's Rousing Drum
MULLER Antillean Dances, Op 4

so pianoloverus is right, you're probably looking for the Grainger.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Angela Hewitt also has a CD out of Bach transcriptions, many of which are done by her.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mat, the arrangement WAS done by Percy Grainger, who entitled it Blithe Bells.
The first pianist was American Joseph Smith and the second pianist was Englishman Martin Jones, so apparently Russians won't play this piece. I THINK the Grainger is in C, from plinking along with it after I recorded the program.
DD did NOT give the record lablels of theses two performances.

I was really impressed by this piece too, and dug around till I found a simplified version in one of my fake books. (in C and withOUT the minor section). My teacher had the sheet music for a voice/organ manual/organ pedal arrangement from the H.W.Grey Co. in NYC which I also played around with a bit.

An internet search found a 3 dollar adobe .pdf file for solo piano in Bb by Fabrizio Ferrari available at...
http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/score/SafelyGrazePf.html

I didn't really look very hard for the sheet music or a Midi of the Grainger arrangement (or "ramble") because I thought it might be a bit too advanced for me, but if anyone DOES find a source out there, I would be interested in looking at it.

Translations of the original words for this cantata are available here:
http://www.uvm.edu/~classics/faculty/bach/BWV208.html

and a CD with other Bach transcriptions by Grainger and Friedman is here, with some very extensive liner notes:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/67344.asp

Pianoloverus, could you be more specific about the 5 solo piano transcriptions you know of? Publishers, samples available on net, etc.?

Gryphon, the show is on WQXR which is owned by NewYorkTimes and is NOT affiliated with NPR or any other network. The show is not archived but can be listened to ONCE each week on their website WQXR.com. 10 p.m. Wednesday EASTERN standard time. (so 9pm in Michigan) That's your one and only chance to catch it each week.

Bob

O
O
Really unplayable piano transcriptions of Bach's works? Godowsky. Have a Dorian CD 80117 with sonatas and suites for violin and cello transcribed by Godowsky, played by Thomas Labé (great pianist). That man, Godowsky, was a real sadistic

Online Content
Originally posted by RKVS1:

Pianoloverus, could you be more specific about the 5 solo piano transcriptions you know of? Publishers, samples available on net, etc.?
I have seen many but the only ones I can recall now are one by Egon Petri(might be available at music stores and two by Ignaz Friedman (much harder than the Petri and very difficult to find).

RKVS1- I saw in your profile that you are interested in math so you'd probably be interested to know that I teach high school math(but am much more interested in music!}.

10 p.m. Wednesday EASTERN standard time. (so 9pm in Michigan)
Thanks, I will try to catch it this week. And Michigan is still Eastern time zone. smile

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
...I have seen many but the only ones I can recall now are one by Egon Petri(might be available at music stores and two by Ignaz Friedman (much harder than the Petri and very difficult to find)...
Hmm... I've got a four disc set from Pearl (IF 2000) which purports to be all of Friedman's solo recordings 1926-1936, and it's not there. frown

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Palindrome:

Hmm... I've got a four disc set from Pearl (IF 2000) which purports to be all of Friedman's solo recordings 1926-1936, and it's not there.
Maybe Bach didn't get it written till the 40's??

Originally Posted by Palindrome:
Sometimes I know I'm going to say something stupid, and I just can't stop myself.
:rolleyes: <~~~~these are Palindrome's Quoted Rolleyes.

:rolleyes: <~~~~~these are mine

Bob

:rolleyes: <~~~~I have NO idea, whose THOSE are

M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
I am not sure of the program on that particular date, but recently Dubal played Grainger's transcription of this piece. Grainger titled it Blithe Bells. You need big hands for the opening measures since it's all in tenths.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

So it is Blithe Bells...I saw that title & didn't recognize it at all...Now, the search for recording & music!!

Thanks again.
Mat D.

M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Mat, the arrangement WAS done by Percy Grainger, who entitled it Blithe Bells.
The first pianist was American Joseph Smith and the second pianist was Englishman Martin Jones, so apparently Russians won't play this piece. I THINK the Grainger is in C, from plinking along with it after I recorded the program.
DD did NOT give the record lablels of theses two performances.

I was really impressed by this piece too, and dug around till I found a simplified version in one of my fake books. (in C and withOUT the minor section). My teacher had the sheet music for a voice/organ manual/organ pedal arrangement from the H.W.Grey Co. in NYC which I also played around with a bit.

An internet search found a 3 dollar adobe .pdf file for solo piano in Bb by Fabrizio Ferrari available at...
http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/score/SafelyGrazePf.html

I didn't really look very hard for the sheet music or a Midi of the Grainger arrangement (or "ramble") because I thought it might be a bit too advanced for me, but if anyone DOES find a source out there, I would be interested in looking at it.

Translations of the original words for this cantata are available here:
http://www.uvm.edu/~classics/faculty/bach/BWV208.html

and a CD with other Bach transcriptions by Grainger and Friedman is here, with some very extensive liner notes:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/67344.asp

Gryphon, the show is on WQXR which is owned by NewYorkTimes and is NOT affiliated with NPR or any other network. The show is not archived but can be listened to ONCE each week on their website WQXR.com. 10 p.m. Wednesday EASTERN standard time. (so 9pm in Michigan) That's your one and only chance to catch it each week.

Bob
Again, another thank you-----I'm investigating now!

Mat D.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission