2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Christopher90, CentauriB, 36251, Carey, anotherscott, 13 invisible), 964 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#503512 05/17/07 08:47 PM
OP Offline
I'm talking about M. Ravel's "Pavane of the Sleeping Beauty". It's from a ballet, not really sure.

Somewhat easy to play, but even easier to ruin. I am not nearly satisfied with my rendition yet because of my smallish hands.

What is it about the French Impressionists?
They keep me awake at night...going over every note, and even more importantly every rest. Wondering how and why they knew to do that or this. I think I would have loved to have some Tea with Satie, much more than with Mussolini. wink

-cheers!!!
#503513 05/17/07 08:55 PM
Originally posted by gaffster:
I'm talking about M. Ravel's "Pavane of the Sleeping Beauty". It's from a ballet, not really sure.
I think it's actually "Pavane of a dead princess"
The princess is DEAD. So a prince's kiss will wake her up smile

Yay! I can play piano...
#503514 05/17/07 09:00 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by kreisleriana:
[b] I'm talking about M. Ravel's "Pavane of the Sleeping Beauty". It's from a ballet, not really sure.
The princess is DEAD. No princess' kiss will wake her up smile [/b]
Grammar alert : princess' is the possessive of princess (fem.). The possessive of prince (masc.) is prince's.

While, I realize that most of us now live in a much more "liberal" society than what is implied by the discussion here, I still somewhat doubt that a sleeping princess - or a dead one - would be awaiting the wake-up kiss of another princess. Well, not in a family-oriented forum, at least!

The title of the Ravel work is : "Pavane pour une Infante Défunte"; a literal translation would be "Pavane for a dead Infanta", but it is usually translated as "Pavane for a Dead Princess". In its original form, it is a piano solo written in 1899 and premiered by the Catalan pianist Ricardo Viñes, 5 April, 1901.

Where does the "20 bars of heaven" come from; the original piece is 71 measures long.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#503515 05/17/07 09:07 PM
Originally posted by BruceD:
Originally posted by kreisleriana:
[b]
[b] I'm talking about M. Ravel's "Pavane of the Sleeping Beauty". It's from a ballet, not really sure.
The princess is DEAD. No princess' kiss will wake her up smile [/b]
Grammar alert : princess' is the possessive of princess (fem.). The possessive of prince (masc.) is prince's.
While, I realize that most of us now live in a much more "liberal" society than what is implied by the discussion here, I still somewhat doubt that a sleeping princess - or a dead one - would be awaiting the wake-up kiss of another princess. Well, not in a family-oriented forum, at least!

Regards, [/b]
Good effort. But I corrected my mistake before your post.

Yay! I can play piano...
#503516 05/17/07 09:22 PM
OP Offline
sixth para down..

"
Pavane of the Sleeping Beauty. Two ladies-in-waiting prepare the princess for her hundred-years sleep, as the gentleman and the other ladies dance the pavane, the first of the original piano pieces to appear here in orchestral guise. A pavane is a slow and stately dance (popular in the sixteenth century) in 4/4 time. The old woman reveals herself as the Good Fairy. She kisses the sleeping princess on the forehead, then turns to the back of the stage and whistles with her fingers to her lips (piccolo). Suddenly two little blackamoors appear; her safekeeping is put in their hands. A few added measures in waltz rhythm lead directly into the scene:
"
http://www.proarte.org/notes/ravel.htm

-cheers!!!
#503517 05/17/07 09:42 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
gaffster :

Aren't you mixing apples with oranges here? You were originally talking about the difficulties encountered in the piano (original) version, yet your reference is to an orchestrated version incorporated into Ravel's orchestration for Diaghilev of "Ma Mère l'Oye". The story you linked, remember, is Diaghilev's ballet interpretation of Ravel's piano solo.

As I indicated, the original was a piano solo of some 71 measures, and yes, it does have some stretches that small hands would have difficulty encompassing comfortably.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#503518 05/17/07 09:47 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is one of my favorites, but it's still on my list of pieces to learn. Hopefully, this year. Something I've always found amusing is something Ravel once quipped about when hearing different renditions of his masterpice. Being the purist, he felt the piece should be played as written and said it's a pavane for a dead princess, not a dead pavane for a princess. Or something to that effect.

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
#503519 05/17/07 10:38 PM
OP Offline
Bruce,

I am refering to a piece I originally heard by the hard-rocker Joe Walsh. He did it with synthesizers about 30 years ago !!!

So i looked it up recently and it's called..
"pavane de la Belle au bois dormant"

I also found it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8stcMzyjoM

Charming Not a bad performance, noisy audio... Still, how sweet. it is done as a duet and at the correct tempo.

For some reason the counter melody just haunts me.
But then again, the nutcracer ballet always gets this 47 year old engineer all teary-eyed, so there you have it.

-cheers!!!
#503520 05/17/07 11:48 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Ah! After looking at the video, I realize we're not even talking about the same piece! My mistake, I guess, but maybe I'll blame Kreisleriana for leading us astray to the "other" - famous - Pavane, the one Jolly Roger was also referring to, I believe.

It's nice to hear, by the way, that others of an "older generation" can also still be emotionally moved by music - and admit it!

Sorry for causing all the confusion and giving the lecture on "the" Pavane!

Regards,

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#503521 05/17/07 11:56 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Ah! After looking at the video, I realize we're not even talking about the same piece! My mistake, obviously, for leading this thread astray to the "other" - famous - Pavane, the one Jolly Roger was also referring to, I believe.

It's nice to hear, by the way, that others of an "older generation" can also still be emotionally moved by music - and admit it!

I'm sorry for causing confusion where there should have been none, and giving the lecture on "the" Pavane! Had I done my research before going off on my tangent, I would have seen that, indeed, the first piece in "Ma mère l'oye" is "Pavane de la belle au bois dormant." In its original form, it's for piano, four hands.

So, my sincere apologies to gaffster for having been so obtuse when it was evident I didn't even know what I was talking about! shocked

Regards

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#503522 05/18/07 10:19 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
*Bump!*

to offer my apology

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#503523 05/18/07 12:58 PM
OP Offline
Bruce,
Very Gentlemanly of you, but I did not think you obtuse at all and have learned alot from your posts while lurking around here!

Ok, sooo it IS for four hands, I was not certain because the sheet music has no indications. I will just fake it the best I can by sub'ing an octave here and there. Most of it is playable. I'll just have to apologize to Mr. Ravel someday.
Why stop there? I figure I owe an apology to Beethoven, Motzart, and maybe even John Lennon for messin' with there materpieces. smile

-cheers!!!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Line outs recording vs USB recording
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/10/22 09:33 AM
I'm playing in a special recital!
by Sam S - 08/10/22 09:25 AM
Great Piano Tutorial
by Bart K - 08/10/22 03:54 AM
Piano mindset
by pablobear - 08/10/22 01:37 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/09/22 11:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,326
Posts3,215,204
Members106,055
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission