2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (BMKE, AJB, antune, babooshka, anotherscott, 0day, 16 invisible), 1,025 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I am using Pianoteq on a PC, hooked up via a TC Electronic Konnekt 24D to a Roland A-80 MID controller keyboard.

I have two damper pedals that support half-pedaling: a Yamaha FC3 and a Roland DP-10. Neither of them is working properly with my system.

The FC3's polarity is opposite to what the A-80 is expecting and transmitting. So sustain is 'on' when the pedal is not depressed! Can the polarity be reversed easily? How?

The DP-10 sends MID values 24 to 127. So I am getting a little bit of sustain even when the pedal is not depressed. Not good. Is this inherent in its uhhh 'design'?

Help much appreciated!

Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ah, problem fixed, at least for the DP-10.

1. Disconnect A-80 from MIDI interface, and power it down.

2. Plug in DP-10 into appropriate port (FC3 in my case).

3. Power up the A-80.

4. Connect the A-80 to the MIDI interface.

Doesn't work for the FC3 though.

Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ugh! Problem not fixed. Stupid me forgot to switch the DP-10 back to continuous mode before claiming success!! frown

Similar to Digitus' earlier problemo, my FC3's polarity is apparently opposite to what my Roland FP-7 keyboard is expecting--sustain being 'on' when the pedal is not depressed. Can the FC3's polarity be reversed? How? (WWBW told me to switch the FC3 pedal's polarity after finding in the FP-7 manual how to switch said polarity. Said manual has no info on switching pedal polarity atall, alass.)

Any help is MUCH appreciated! The FC3 pedal feels a lot better than the DP8 which came with the keyboard. It's rounder and gentler. And its sustain almost seems to sound better (though this might just be human nature interfering--the unattainable seeming more desirable).

Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
It was suggested that you can reverse the FC3's polarity by rewiring either the jack, or else open up the FC3 and rewire the potentiometer in the pedal. I haven't tried it.

The problem I was having of the DP10 not sending MIDI 0 when not depressed was caused by an over-thick felt pad between the pedal and the case. I fixed this by using a narrow-bladed box hobby knife to shave off about half of the felt pad's thickness.

The often used term "polarity" is, in my opinion, a really bad expression here. There are three type of pedals. The ones that close the circuit when you press the pedal, the ones that open the circuit and pedals that have a switch that allow you to change between this two operating modes. Unfortunately you can not re-wire the pedal because the function of the switch is a hardware issue.
The same should unfortunately apply for the ones with half pedal function (potentiometer).
As I comprehend, even if you rewire the jack the pedal will work in the same way (closing or open the circuit).

Peace.

/Richard

Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Richard,

The FC3 and DP10, when used with a software piano such as Pianoteq, are used as continuous MIDI controllers. They are NOT on/off switches that generate either MIDI 0 and MIDI 127. The continuous controllers generate MIDI values between 0 and 127, governed by the sweep arm of a potentiometer. I have read on other fora that re-wiring the potentiometer does work, though I have not tried it myself. Can you suggest why it would not? smile

Some pedals such as the DP10 have a switch that allows you to choose between on/off switching and continuous controller mode.

People understand the use of "polarity" in this context. If it is bad or inaccurate, then I offer my apologies. How else would you refer to it then? smile

Edit: Do a Google search on "sustain pedal polarity" and look at the hits. Even manufacturers of such pedals use the word "polarity". smile Some pedals such as the M-Audio SP2 has a switch that reverses the ummm 'polarity' so that the pedal will work with keyboards from the likes of Roland and Yamaha for whom MIDI 0 and MIDI 127 mean different things. The switch is clearly a simple reversal of the ummm switch polarity, which also means that re-wiring either the pedal or the jack will probably work. Open up a pedal for yourself -- there really isn't much there at all.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
On a pedal that is simply a switch, ( on/off ) it is perfectly feasible to change it's action, if you are handy with a soldering iron. I did it myself, just two days ago.
Open up the pedal, and on the small circuit board that the switch is mounted on, you will probably see the connections marked, 'Common', 'NC' (normally closed), and 'NO' ( normally open ) Simply swap the NO, and NC connections, to reverse the 'polarity'.

Rob
Stand corrected on this one. But you have to rearrange the connections at the switch or potentiometer if they are of the right type. You can't just swap the cables at the jack.

Peace.

/Richard

Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Miracle:
You can't just swap the cables at the jack.

Peace.

/Richard
And I stand corrected on this one! laugh

I guess the moral of the story is to use Roland pedals with Roland keyboards, Yamaha pedals with Yamaha keyboards, and test any third-party pedal with your keyboard before laying out the money!

What a wonderful treatment of the issue--since the Yamaha FC3 pedal feels MUCH better to the foot and has better action! Muchas muchas gracias! (Jag är mycket tacksam.)

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Apologies for reviving this topic, but the following may, or not, be useful.
I recently rewired a sustain pedal, for use with a cheap Yamaha PSR-E313 keyboard, which I bought for posting simple home keyboard lessons on my website.
Today, I noticed that if I depressed the pedal, whilst simultaneously powering on the keyboard, that the 'polarity' changed. i.e. the pedal switched off the sustain, when depressed.
I don't know if this is peculiar to this particular keyboard, or if it is a little known Yamaha feature.
It would be interesting to know if others observe this effect.

Rob
Hi Rob - You've stumbled on a very handy feature! Some keyboards will change the polarity of the pedal input if it senses the pedal pressed down at power-up. This allows you to use a pedal of opposite polarity. When I have a pedal polarity issue the first thing I try is powering up the keyboard with the non-working pedal depressed. If it works it can be a life-saver!

I resume this old post because I need to re-wire my 3 FATAR VFP3-D pedal with dynamic dumper. It comes with 3 wires and 2 jacks (one is stereo).

The stereo jack has a common ground; one pole is linked to soft pedal switch and other pole is for dumper potentiometer.

Now what? Do you know if my Promega 3 needs stereo or mono jack for dumper? And how can I re-wire it?

Thanks in advance.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha clp 785 horrible chorus effect
by Chrisgilx - 08/13/22 10:51 AM
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Inspiration
by Pingvin - 08/13/22 06:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,375
Posts3,215,974
Members106,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission