2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 136 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 135 136
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Wzkit:
I just saw 2 K-8s over the weekend at Parkway Parade sostenuto pedal, side by side with a K-8 without the sostenuto. According to the salesguy, the price difference is about S$500. I preferred the tone of the unit without the sostenuto. For most of us, I think the practice pedal is more useful
I agree. That's why I didn't make a fuss when I found out that the piano came with the practice pedal instead of sostenuto.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's what i thought at first. But the interesting point is we can have both, Sustenuto and practice "level" (felt gantry).

Wzkit, how's your piano sound in the room? If too boomy or reflective, you can try to add a mattress(Dolby noise reduction) behind the piano like me.... smile

Steinway B .. USD 100,000 ... huh....(jaw dropped, cross eye) wonderful price indeed. is there a diamond hidden inside the soundboard? hehehe

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used acoustic treatment for my room from Alphacoustics.com. Not too loud..in fact, I can go much softer than when I had my old upright!

Sauter 185 Delta with accelerated action and burl walnut fallboard
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow that's amazing. I'm still worried at times when i'll get bamboo knocking from the floor below....

Digitus, how's the "running in"? guess you'll be taking it easy....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by snoopycar:
Wow that's amazing. I'm still worried at times when i'll get bamboo knocking from the floor below....

Digitus, how's the "running in"? guess you'll be taking it easy....
I had about 1 hour last night, and about 5 hours today! Unfortunately the "running in" will take time because of my travel load. My next trip is to Frankfurt for tonight (if I can get a seat), to attend a meeting on Friday. Back on Saturday, then off to Beijing on Monday. Sigh.

Already the piano needs work. A few strings are buzzing slightly, and a couple of keys are sticking a little. I'll call the tech in for week after next when I'm back from Beijing. :p

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
phew-u-weee, super globe trotter!! i'm sure you know all the aircrew by name.. "oh it's you again, mr Digitus. Welcome onboard SQ888 smile "

Buzzing sound, sure it's not the "hamberger flouresent" light at the ceiling vibrating in unison? oh sticky key... humidity change - minute wood expansion thingy, i assume it's normal - stuck key is another thing. surely the technician can fix it, just bear with it for a while.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
phew-u-weee, super globe trotter!! i'm sure you know all the aircrew by name.. "oh it's you again, mr Digitus. Welcome onboard SQ888 smile "

Buzzing sound, sure it's not the "hamberger flouresent" light at the ceiling vibrating in unison? oh sticky key... humidity change - minute wood expansion thingy, i assume it's normal - stuck key is another thing. surely the technician can fix it, just bear with it for a while.
No its not sympathetic vibrations from something else :p . The sticky (not stuck) keys are only slightly sticky - I feel it mostly when I am playing pianissimo.

And yes, some aircrew actually recognize me. NOT a good sign.

cmk Offline
Wzkit, how's your piano sound in the room? If too boomy or reflective, you can try to add a mattress(Dolby noise reduction) behind the piano like me.... smile
His piano sounds very nice in his room. laugh

Sauter 130 Competence with burl inlay (S/N: 112 291)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kenneth..you got that right! The bass sounds even deeper now, after the second tuning!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi guys,

Can do you elaborate what is deep bass?
What do you do with it? Play melody lines, alternating bass accompaniments...? something like, muddy vs clear, thin vs thurdering?

hmmm, this seem to be a new area of knowledge i'm lacking... teach leh,can? smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Deep = lots of resonance, richness and fullness. But also clear and growling at the same time. Sort of like warm and clear.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi guys,

Can do you elaborate what is deep bass?
What do you do with it? Play melody lines, alternating bass accompaniments...? something like, muddy vs clear, thin vs thurdering?

hmmm, this seem to be a new area of knowledge i'm lacking... teach leh,can? smile
See the section titled 'Inharmonicity and piano size' in piano acoustics . Larger pianos have longer, lighter and less stiff bass strings. This allows more of the fundamental to sound, and the harmonics are also closer to what they should be. These result in bass notes that sound deeper and cleaner. (Much also depends on the quality of the soundboard and overall scale design of course.)

This is one reason why grands are generally preferred over uprights. However a good tall upright can often be better than a mediocre babygrand.

"However a good tall upright can often be better than a mediocre babygrand."

i agree, and some even better mid length grand.
try older 130cm yamaha with the x backpost and you'll know what "deep bass" is. these x series are quite rare over here and i had a chance to try one u3x before it disappeared from the shop a few days later, SOLD! it sound better that the yus, u5 or k80 that i've tried.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mendo,
I used to own a Yamaha WX-5 (131cm), before I purchased my Sauter. While the bass is respectable, and while it is a far better piano than current production U5s or YUS-5s, its bass is still not comparable to even the shorter models by German makes. Therefore, while a good piano, I would still not classify in the "elite" category of uprights that I would choose over a small grand, as the

However, if you were talking about a quality German upright, vs a small grand piano, then the choice may not be so clear. The Sauter uprights for example have a depth and richness of the bass that exceeds that of a Yamaha C1, C2 and possibly even C3. Even the 122 cm models. And I don't just mean loudness, but actual resonance and depth of sound. It really has to be heard to be believed. On the other hand, I generally preferred the action of grand pianos, even the cheaper ones. Yamaha and Kawai grands have one of the most comfortable actions in the business, and some of the better Chinese makes (Hailun comes to mind) are very respectable too. So in such a case, it is all about trade-offs, and deciding which is more important to you.

Btw, for those on a tight budget but wanting a grand, I would strongly recommend looking at the new Chinese grands such as Wilhelm Tell and Hailun. The latter, in particular, has an impressive bass. The only big unknown here is durability.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi guys, i'm back online - after kenna attack by spyware... manage to reinstall my XP. now i use the free cyber defender as countermeasure....

Wow, so much to learn about bass section of a piano.. my old K8 seem to have a deeper bass(more ummuh) that the U1A. .... more flexible or responsive sound board? not sure....

Thanks for all the infos.

Where else sells a ~$8000 good grand?? go lobang, inform me ok? Jeepoon one.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Snoopy: better bass usually equals better design, and better materials.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi guys, what's happening ??? so quiet??
Right now, my project is learning the "le coucou".
Very tickling piece. 5 days have passed and still haven't master it..... don't be disappointed at my playing level. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow so quiet, everyone here at the red-dot is busy practising for a recite??

Hi guys, i went down to Cristofori bedok the other day for a browsing session. The sales guys were very friendly and let me try their piano range. 1 particular brand really strikes me. It's the Hoffman - design by C becstein and made in Cz. The tone dynamics and tone substance is remarkably good. If you guys are free, just drop down to check-it-out and hear if my findings correlate with yours. The price is 8.9k!! But to me, the price corresponse with the increase playing pleasure you get out of it.

happy playing

Just came back from Robert Piano. Just got a K18E from them at the advertised promotional price ... It is the cheapest Kawai but sound good at their showroom. There goes my year end bonus ....

Page 10 of 136 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission