2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 136 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 135 136
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
same analogy is like a car... must change oil frequently lah.... hehehe synthetic oil, 10000km, minaral oil 5000km interval.

or like the bicycle tyre... must pump tyre every week, if not it goes flat, and ride become woobling.... smile

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
T
T
Talking about car and oil ... my tank is now low, after searching around for 3 weeks, exhausted all means and visited most shops, but still haven't got any catch. Now also got lots of sales calls from shops that I've visited. *headache*

Got 1 kawai, CX-21H, 8+ yo, quite heavily utilised, going at 2.5+k? Is it a good buy? The sound is okay (not fantastic though) but the inside looks quite dirty, though the hammerheads and felt looks in shape. Gotta self-collect and tune.

Saw the Robert piano advertisement of the K3 again today. Drooling .... at $7.5k, is it a good buy? It's the lowest end of the exam model, but is the sound good?

Jay Offline
double posted... sorry

Jay Offline
Originally posted by thummy:
It's the lowest end of the exam model, but is the sound good?
Someone care to explain what's all about exam models and how different are they built confused ? Or do you mean the model was used for piano exam. How about concert model, leisure model or etc model, do they exists eek cool eek ? cursing
Regards..

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Exam model means you can bring your piano to the examination studio to play ... hehehe

Yah, i also also hear this term "exam model"... what does it really mean? Key weight standard? Key dip 10mm standard? fast enough repeatition?
Good dynamics range for expression?

Again, perhaps it's like sports shoes. How many people wears it for day to day walking, to work, to jalan jalan. Wear sports shoes doen't means go to sports competition. But it is not impossible to wear a cheap shoe to win a runing event.

If the shop guys promotes, hey man, you'll need this exam model for your kid, go more and say, i want a competition model. Exam mode won't do for me... hehehe smile

But seriously, Yamaha U1 tend to be a popular exam reference. So any piano design their touch and dynamic to be similiar quality could be called exam model......

tomorrow is sat
happy practising.....

T
T
From what I know, "exam model" is the term used often by some brands (typically Kawai) to refer to upright pianos of height 121cm and above. Those below 121cm are referred to "academic model". Yamaha doesn't use this term. In fact, in Yamaha shops, they pasted a notice from the S'pore Exam board to state that there is no such thing called "exam model". U1 is their typical exam model (of height 121cm). Any other versions?

From what I heard, "exam model" refers to 121 cm height because apparently the pianos used for exams are of this height (of course they won't spend too much money on higher ones, right?).

I've tried the new K3 at Robert Piano and I was actually blown away by the sound even though it was the "lowest" end there. I believe RP also have got some pre-owned Kawais too and I planned to drop by for a look. Right now, I'm set on a used Kawai K50 but wanted to take a last round of look.

J
J
thummy,
I think your budget is reasonable but I think like clam that you are better off looking for a used one. You should have many choices with 4K for a used 132 Kawai. If you have gotten an Japan imported piano 16 year is almost new. I was in the same situation as you and it took me a year to find a used piano. My first purchase was a lemon. So don't rush into it.

Hi,
I haven't read every single post that has been posted in this thread, but all i have to say is that i think the best way to find a beautiful second hand (upright?) piano, is to get in touch with the best technician/s locally in singapore as the market may not be(?) as big as that of America's or otherwise. Im sorry jonray that your first piano was a lemon! That must've been really awful! frown .

Good luck

That's one Dandy Warhol-
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
himynameisjc: definnately a good suggestion.

jonray, it's ok if it's a cheap lemon, you can canabilze it and make it into a tv display stand or computer table .... hehehe

Seriously what happen to the lemon?
Can it be saved? anything can be do about it?
Share the lemon and it won't be so sour anymore

P
P
Hi, everybody,

this is my very first post in Pianoworld. We just moved to Singapore from Europe three months ago and I am a total beginner in piano. Thanks to this thread (especially the addresses on the first page and all the discussions on techniques and tips), I have found my piano after two week intensive search (including hiring two independent piano technicians)! The one I bought is Yamaha UX10 BL (15 yr old) from Asia Piano. Another shop that I would strongly recommend is Music Lodge (also for second hand). But I would suggest calling the shop owner (Mr. & Ms. Chong, 94557879) before going there, because they can really share their rich experience with you, however they are not always in the shop. So must call first. Both of the two Shops (Asia Piano and Music Lodge) have big range of second hand pianos at very competitive price (I have run over 8 second hand piano shops and this is my true feeling). And both shop owners are qualified piano technicians, very friendly and professional. The Asia Piano has the buy-back guarantee, which may be interesting for the expatriates.

Now I start to look for a piano teacher. I wonder if it is a good idea to let the piano teacher come to our place, as I heard that the real “GOOD” teachers only give lesson in their own studio. Is this true? We live close to the East Coast Park, can anyone recommend good teachers to me? Thanks!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome Posamenten!! smile

hehehe, music lodge is Mr&Mrs Chug, chong is last name.. Chug is family name

Seems like piano is back, bye bye plasma and ps2

P
P
Hi, Snoopycar,

Thanks a lot for the correction. Sorry for the mistake. I really have thought the people in Singapore also put their family name in the end.

BTW, any tips for the piano teacher?

T
T
Asia piano do really have quite a good selection of Kawais and Yamahas, but the important thing is to know what you actually want and know how to choose. Their shop may not have many display sets but the warehouse stocks quite a lot.

For me, my problem is the choosing part, cos I do not have music background at all. All I could rely on is my ears and eyes, and I have no confidence in my choice. Still hunting ....

It would of course be nice to know some piano technician to help in choosing, but unfortunately I don't know of any. I have spoken to Leonard from Asia Piano. He sounds nice and willing to share knowledge. I told him PW forum has been talking about him. hehehe....

Can somebody share who or which shop does good tuning work, and what are their rates please?

Is it good/necessary to get a professional to clean up, polish and tune after buying used piano?

I wished there is some website where there is a more exhaustive list of piano models, giving more details like their height, reviews. Does anybody know of one?

T
T
Anybody has good piano movers to recommend also?
May need one soon ... ;P

Jay Offline
Originally posted by clam:
From what I heard, "exam model" refers to 121 cm height because apparently the pianos used for exams are of this height (of course they won't spend too much money on higher ones, right?).
Hmm.. I guess in order a car to be an exam car, my guess would be anything above 2.5 cc hee heee cool .....

Sorry to be a little rude here, but I don’t get it why so blindly fooled into this term. Why so stupid le... Do you think there is really an exam piano. I think if a piano is in good condition – tune is in pitch, touch is in regulation then it will be right for any purpose….
I guess everybody should get these European & American pianos and not Japanese because these pianos are built to performance and can be use for all-purpose….. whome ... hee hee.. In case one decide to play leisure later and not exam... :p

Jay Offline
In fact, in Yamaha shops, they pasted a notice from the S'pore Exam board to state that there is no such thing called "exam model".
Ar.. yuppie I remember reading a notice letter from the ABRSM some 2 years ago about "there is no such thing called "Exam Model / Piano". If I remember correctly, the letter stated its pre-requisite to be an exam piano is that it must be proper tune and regulated... yippie

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Anybody has good piano movers to recommend also?
May need one soon ... ;P
Try Alan : 97811240
Good price and dependable

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Posamenten:
Hi, Snoopycar,

Thanks a lot for the correction. Sorry for the mistake. I really have thought the people in Singapore also put their family name in the end.

BTW, any tips for the piano teacher?
No problem..... it just happens that i also spoken to them before, so i remember ...
Somehow, the caller will find out sooner, but, it's correct person, it'll align itself. smile

Well, a good teacher is the inner-self, desiring to know the keyboard, the position of the black and white keys... start with J.S. Bach. It'll warm up your mental fingers... hehehe

T
T
*Drums rolling... I've finally bought my first piano, a Kawai K25, and it is now sitting beautifully in my house. A very proud owner now, and glad that my search is over.

Page 18 of 136 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission