2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 136 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 135 136
Originally posted by Posamenten:
Now I start to look for a piano teacher. I wonder if it is a good idea to let the piano teacher come to our place, as I heard that the real “GOOD” teachers only give lesson in their own studio. Is this true? We live close to the East Coast Park, can anyone recommend good teachers to me? Thanks!
Unfortunately, hunting for a "good" teacher can be as tricky as hunting for a good piano in the first place. Is it for your children or for yourself? Is it for examination purpose or for leisure like pop/jazz? My niece takes her lesson at the teacher's home in Sembawang. I'm currently taking lessons from a teacher in Ang Mo Kio learning pop piano for leisure. My sister used to take her lessons from Christofori and she told me it was not bad; but then again, that teacher may no more be there. Sometimes, the only way is to try out for a month or two and you will be able to tell.

Originally posted by thummy:
*Drums rolling... I've finally bought my first piano, a Kawai K25, and it is now sitting beautifully in my house. A very proud owner now, and glad that my search is over.
Hey thummy, congratulations on the purchase! Hope you and your family will have hours of fun with it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
rumbling roll......
Congrads on your purchase.
This time, don't use the vacuum cleaner on the piano surface... hehehe smile

How does it sounds? Beautiful and can fell in love tone?

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
T
T
Haven't got it tuned after moving, not sure when was the last tuning done.

The sound is beautiful, I think, but have yet to test its full potential (coz nobody in the house can really play well).

Clam, mind if you share more info on learning pop piano? ... sounds interesting .. maybe I could pick it up ...

Now my next challenge is to learn about piano maintenance, tuning (find a good tuner) and helping my kid sustain the interest ...

What kind of cleaning kit should I get? I've got nothing at all now. Sori, another dummy question ...

P
P
Hi, clam,

Thanks a lot for you tips. I am an adult beginner. So the teacher is for me. I like but classic music and jazz. For me the foundation is very important, as I wish that I could play the music piece totally on my own in the future. Currently I am trying two teachers at the same time. One is giving lesson in her own home studio. Another one comes to my place. Honestly I like the first one, but the trip to her place is a bit too long and too expensive. So I am considering to offer her a higher payment so that she can come over to my place (since she has a car, so it is much easier for her. I have to take the schuttle bus from my condo and then normal bus and later change to another bus..... The cab costs over 16 Dollar for round trip...). But I am keeping looking for more teachers on the east coast. Now I have gathered five names ;-).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
oops, thummy, the vacuum cleaner joke was refering to clam...

thummy, you've got PM

Generally, moist cloth can be use to remove fingerprints. The shinning polyester is tough.
I leave my U1 bear, no piano cover. But i put a towel on top to front when i place music scores on the rack to prevent scratches on the front board.

Having a healthy mix of some pop, classical is good. I'm a adult beginner too. Haven't venture into jazz yet. Still in love with JSBach music.... Still trying hard to finish off Invention no4. my mind is saturated.

Yeah... choosing teacher is beginning to be like piano shopping huh?... this one better, that one better, but the other is also better.... but this one is charming.. that one is pretty..... hehehe

No vacuum cleaner is going anywhere near my piano that's for sure.

I also prefer to leave my piano uncovered except for the top in case someone decides to put a scissor on the top! It will look very nice with its black polished surface reflecting the surrounding.

I used the Yamaha polish to polish the piano once in a while because for some strange reason, the surface will become "blur" but the polish will restore the shine beautifully. And no vacuum cleaner on your piano! ha!

Me, I'm still struggling with a simple piece: Moonlight Sonata. Somehow some parts just don't seem right. Must be the piano...a good reason to change to a new one. hehe.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
perhaps the blur is the oil mist stain from the kitchen.... hehehe

J
J
My lemon was traded in for $50. I was a noob when I first started. My son was a beginner with no idea what is a good piano. Anything that produce sound seems good. It turns out that the piano was rebuilt before and the wood below the key was spurting out fine wood dust. I found out later that the chip wood (which was most like replace before was fraying).

It is good to look for a someone who know. Indeed, I have learn a few tips from Leonard from Asia piano, though I did not make my purchase from him.

J
J
My lemon was traded in for $50. I was a noob when I first started. My son was a beginner with no idea what is a good piano. Anything that produce sound seems good. It turns out that the piano was rebuilt before and the wood below the key was spurting out fine wood dust. I found out later that the chip wood (which was most like replace before was fraying).

It is good to look for a someone who know. Indeed, I have learn a few tips from Leonard from Asia piano, though I did not make my purchase from him.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
$50 !! Very Jia Lak man...

Originally posted by thummy:
Clam, mind if you share more info on learning pop piano? ... sounds interesting .. maybe I could pick it up ...
Pop piano rests alot on playing with chords on your left hand, or variations of it at least, while the right hand plays the actual song or melody. As the name suggests, it is vey suitable for pop music and who doesn't enjoy pop music? It helps alot if you are familiar with the song as well. The emphasis will not be on following strict timing, tempo, etc, while playing classical pieces you may not have heard it in your life. However, while it is definitely easier than learning the "classical" way, you still need to learn some basic knowledge on notes, have alot of practice with your fingering, etc. But even my mom at 55+ years old learn it from a teacher, I'm sure you can as well. All the best!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
yoyoyo, start with C major lor.

Clam: wow, moonlight sonata... very romantic man... Have you tried the Mozart K545 piano sonata in C? very trilling indeed.

Originally posted by snoopycar:
yoyoyo, start with C major lor.

Clam: wow, moonlight sonata... very romantic man... Have you tried the Mozart K545 piano sonata in C? very trilling indeed.
Wah sounds like a very complicated piece...wait..slowly...let me finish the Moonlight Sonata first. Otherwise all my pieces I learn to play only halfway.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No lah, not a complex piece.... but i only know the 1st movement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2sdOwMkdf8

This pop piece is also nice and charming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abEEDv-XIek

This is embarrassing...to play like that little girl in the video, I'd need 4 hands with 8 fingers in each hand. :p

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
oh, Yamaha Fair is ON arg.... special offer... U1$8500
http://www1.yamaha.com.sg/

Clam, don't worry, can add legs too...
Aiya.. every piece takes times to learn and memorize to play it musically. Just close you eyes and the music flow out automatically from you fingers...

Which version moonlight sonata are you learing? c#minor?

A
artemov Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello. It's me again.

After a very busy three months, I am all ready to shopfor my piano again.

The Brodmanns have arrived. So I will be going down to take a look.

Wah. So many people have gotten their pianos. So envious!!

T
T
Kawai is also having sale now!!!! 20% off the usual price. K3 is now only $6999. Also, for people who don't mind display sets for the older models, can get at good price also.

Too bad, I've just got mine, or I'll rush down to grab one .. hehe ..

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
20% !!!

would'nt that make the GE10 or GM10 $11200(normal $13999 ??
Very tempted to buy leh.......must resist

Page 19 of 136 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission