2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (AaronSF, AlphaTerminus, anotherscott, Alfred La Fleur, Andrew E., 36251, An Old Square, Brendan, brdwyguy, Boboulus, 9 invisible), 1,060 guests, and 657 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
It looks like the federal district court has ruled that tomorrow's election will go forward in Ohio without Republicans challenging voters at the polls.

As I understand it, Republicans in Ohio and other states were planning to challenge voters as they showed up to vote. The voter would walk up and give their name, and the Republican would stand up and challenge them. The Republican challengers would have no first-hand knowledge that the voter wasn't entitled to vote, of course. They would be challenging on any basis they felt like challenging (and there would be no safeguard to make sure they weren't challenging based on age or race), and the election judge on site would have to drop everything and rule on each challenge. This could be expected to slow the line, at a minimum, and might suppress the vote as voters threw up their hands and grew frustrated with the inquisition.

The federal judge rightfully blocked this tactic as an interference with the right to vote. The election judge, it appears, is going to monitor the goings on in the polling place as they always have.

This should have no impact on the work I'll be doing in PA. I wasn't going to be inside the polling place arguing anything. We would be stationed outside to answer questions and send up a flare in case of problems. I hope the Pennsylvania court will make the same ruling and toss the Evil Ones out of the polling places there too.

Woo-hoo!

Federal judge in Ohio bars voter challengers

Monday, November 1, 2004 Posted: 10:04 AM EST (1504 GMT)

CINCINNATI, Ohio (AP) -- A federal judge on Monday barred political party challengers from polling places throughout Ohio during Tuesday's election. State Republicans planned to appeal.

The order by U.S. District Judge Susan Dlott found that the application of Ohio's statute allowing challengers at polling places was unconstitutional.

The presence of challengers inexperienced in the electoral process questioning voters about their eligibility would impede voting, she said.

Mark Weaver, lawyer for the Ohio Republican Party, called the ruling erroneous and said the party would ask the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati to overturn it.

Dlott ruled on a lawsuit by a black Cincinnati couple who said Republican plans to deploy challengers to largely black precincts in Hamilton County was meant to intimidate and block black voters.

Republicans said they wanted to prevent voter fraud.

Dlott said in her order that the evidence "does not indicate that the presence of additional challengers would serve Ohio's interest in preventing voter fraud better than would the system of election judges."

In a separate case last week, Dlott had temporarily halted election board hearings on challenges.

The state GOP had challenged 35,000 registrations because mail to those addresses came back undelivered. Democrats said the GOP was trying to keep poor and minorities, who move more often, from voting, and was targeting new voters registered by political groups supporting Sen. John Kerry.

Piano & Music Accessories
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As I pointed out in another thread, the judge is a Clinton apointee, with all the heralds and laurels that accompany such a lofty edifice.

What you did not point out, was that Dems have the same rights the Republicans have, when it comes to challenging voters.

But we all know that some of the Dem turnout depends on fraud, doesn't it Cindy?

Like the 56,000 Ohio citizens registered to vote in Florida....

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I believe that in federal court, new cases are assigned their judges based on rotation. The judge likely was assigned the case in question because it was her turn to take the next case.

That said, I have every confidence that a Republican appointee would also treat the right to vote as sancrosanct and disallow this nonsense.

I have not read the decision, but I suspect that the judge permitted no challenges by either side. If the decision is limited to Republicans, that could be because only Republicans filed certificates to be present and challenge voters, perhaps.

Or it could be because the Republicans didn't challenge the rights of the Dems to be there! wink

As a wise man once said, "First, we kill all the lawyers...". eek wink

There's a bit more about the judge on the web today.

Has pictures of Bill and Hillary on the walls of her office.

Some of her opinions have been considered pretty eccentric.

Her husband is a very rich personal injury lawyer, who has made mega-millions in class action suits, which explains a 5 car garage (bigger than my house), on their palatial mansion and grounds - I'm not kidding, you ought to see the airial shot. Sadaam would be green with envy.

Yep, just another "for the little guy" Dem....

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jolly, a second federal district court judge made the same ruling today.

Any inside info on what he has hanging on the walls of his office?

Man. Those Republicans in Congress never should have approved those Clinton judicial nominees, huh? wink

You're right, they shouldn't have.

If your man is elected, I'm sure they can rectify that problem....

Well....

The fat lady sung.

The 6th Circuit Court of Appeals has overturned the Clintonista, and there is no recourse to the Supremes - not in time to stop that which should have happened anyway.

Tomorrow, 3600 Republicans will be stationed in Ohio precincts, challenging any voters they feel are committing fraud.

Of course, the Dems are welcomed to do likewise.

Q
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Q
I believe, in Ohio, you have to challenge someone based on personal knowledge.

There's a story from several days ago about a woman working for the Republicans who tried to challenge a large number of voters in a particular district. At the hearing, she was asked why she was challenging them. She replied, because so-and-so of the Republican state party told me to. When she was reminded that she was only allowed to challenge based on personal knowledge, and that false challenges could make her subject to criminal prosecution, she immediately began asserting her 5th Amendment rights.

All those challenges were dismissed, of course.

If you use lines like "a hyena with hiccups", you might be a redneck.
What do you mean Cindy? I don't know what jiggy means, but the nearest I can decode it, it means to get niggerly with it, since "jig" = "[censored]." Do you mean the Ohio federal district court are acting like niggers?

The primary reference at dictionary.com:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jig
jig
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.

Are you slandering blacks? What exactly do you mean by "jiggy?"

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
L
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
laugh laugh laugh

We have 7 different color graemlins, but no black ones. Isn't this discrimination?

lb

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
So fairness, accuracy and the rule of law prevails!

Good for Ohio.

My wife and I were asked to be poll monitors for the WI GOP last night! My wife took the morning shift. I will be monitoring later today.

Originally posted by Jolly:
The fat lady sung.

Tomorrow, 3600 Republicans will be stationed in Ohio precincts, challenging any voters they feel are committing fraud.

Of course, the Dems are welcomed to do likewise.
smile yippie

Liesle smile
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gryphon:
What do you mean Cindy? I don't know what jiggy means, but the nearest I can decode it, it means to get niggerly with it, since "jig" = "[censored]." Do you mean the Ohio federal district court are acting like niggers?

The primary reference at dictionary.com:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jig
jig
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.

Are you slandering blacks? What exactly do you mean by "jiggy?"
Are you really that dense or did you just want be an insulting ***?

I'm sure you really went out of your way to wrap your head around the term... Well, why stop with "jig" why not the actual term itself? Just too hard to type it into Google? Or did you just want to find the most contentious and insulting possible way of raising the issue?

==============

The slang term jiggy has been around at least since the 1930s. Originally it meant 'crazy', as in "He's gone completely jiggy." The senses your father knew, 'jittery; fidgety, restless; excitedly energetic' are still current today: "If I was too jiggy to hold the syringe, he'd shoot me up" (Radford & Crowley, Drug Agent, 1989).

But in the early 1990s jiggy took on the new meanings 'wonderful, excellent, enjoyable, exciting, stylish', as in "Get yourself some jiggy gear." Actually, jiggy can refer to anything that's very cool, so it could also mean 'having women, money, etc.'

Jiggy and get jiggy burst onto most people's radar in 1997 and 1998, right after the release of Will Smith's wildly popular rap song Gettin' Jiggy Wit It. In fact, a discussion of jiggy would not be complete without mention of some lyrics from his song:

On your mark ready set let's go
Dance floor pro I know you know
I go psycho when my new joint hit
Just can't sit
Gotta get jiggy wit it

In case you can't figure out the meaning of get jiggy, it means 'have fun, enjoy oneself totally'. More specifically, it means 'lose one's inhibitions, especially when dancing or performing music', as in "Latin groovers get jiggy at the mercury-hot Conga Room on Wilshire Boulevard" (L.A. Times, 1998). "When Ally McBeal's writers decided to have ...Calista Flockhart get jiggy with an imaginary dancing baby..." (People Magazine, 1998).

Slang has many ways to say the same thing. The phrase get jiggy (with it) is very close in meaning to an earlier (1970s) phrase get down (with it). What does "get" mean in these slang phrases? Connie Eble explains in her book Slang and Sociability: "Many (slang) phrases are built on verbs of generalized meaning such as do, get, make, and take. The verbs themselves contribute little to the specific referential meaning of expressions such as get a grip...get a life, ...get down...get outta here..."

There's no agreement on the origin of jiggy, but it may be from jig 'dance' or jiggle 'move with short, quick jerks'. A less likely origin is the highly offensive term jigaboo 'a black person'.

Random House Link

==========

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
OK, how many Ohio voters do you have a "personal" relationship with? That is, you are personally aware that the voter shouldn't be allowed to vote?

It's intimidation, pure and simple. While it may be legal, it's not right to swarm the polls and force people you don't like to produce proof of their right to vote.

I wonder how many Republicans will be challenged?

What are the reasons for challenging voters? Convicted felon? Non-citizen? mental defect? and...? How many convicted felons or non-citizens do YOU know? How many of that tiny group do you expect to see at the polls? Why not just go to their houses and tell them not to vote?

What a pile of garbage.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Nina:
It's intimidation, pure and simple. While it may be legal, it's not right to swarm the polls and force people you don't like to produce proof of their right to vote.

What a pile of garbage.
Exactly! This is apparently their "winning" strategy: Suppress the vote, cheat, and lie. Once again they choose party over country. It's disgusting.

we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
Originally posted by Nina:
OK, how many Ohio voters do you have a "personal" relationship with? That is, you are personally aware that the voter shouldn't be allowed to vote?

I wonder how many Republicans will be challenged?

What are the reasons for challenging voters? Convicted felon? Non-citizen? mental defect? and...? How many convicted felons or non-citizens do YOU know? How many of that tiny group do you expect to see at the polls? Why not just go to their houses and tell them not to vote?

What a pile of garbage.
The advice given to Ohio voters, is to have a picture ID on you at minimum, and at maximum, to add a copy of a rent receipt, or utility bill.

If that is too big of a burden to vote, even when challenged , then maybe we have a different definition of burden.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You so miss the point.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's amazing how democrats and republicans say exactly the same things about each other. Different sides of the same coin in a lot of respects.

Poll monitoring is not about suppressing the vote or intimidating voters! It is about making sure that on-site registration like we have in Wisconsin, is done in accordance with the law and it goes both ways for the registrant and the registrar. It also tries to make sure that someone does not attempt to vote more than once. It is regulated by law and monitored by both parties. If your party does not have a representative poll monitor then you have nobody to question but your party officials.

To assume that your fellow citizens are only out to stop a specific group of people, based on race, political party affiliation or any other reason other than fraud is just outrageous and speaks volumes about how partisan each and every one of you are who go about spewing this disinformation.

Party over country indeed. If any party is more guilty of that concept it is without question the democratic party. That is not to say that there are not members of the republican party that are also guilty of "party over country" but the majority of this attitude lives, and breeds inside the democratic party.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Poll monitoring should be done by the POLL MONITORS. Not some group of people with a political axe to grind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Guessing game
by An Old Square - 10/27/21 06:41 PM
Do some pianists play too many concerts?
by pianoloverus - 10/27/21 06:33 PM
Need advices on getting back on playing
by Chocolaty - 10/27/21 06:06 PM
Used upright or new Kawai k300 or 500?
by Camlan - 10/27/21 05:39 PM
Do songs change scales throughout 🤔
by wayne33yrs - 10/27/21 04:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,771
Posts3,142,392
Members103,136
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission