2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 136 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 135 136
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi angy, welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you do not buy a new piano. Try to find a good second hand one if possible. The trick is to locate a good piano dealer. You might want to try asking for help in a separate thread in Piano Forum. I'm pretty sure that there are a couple of regulars there from NZ.

The reason I suggest a second-hand piano is that new pianos suffer from very steep depreciation in the first few years, some more than others. You can then defer the purchase of a better new piano until later if your daughter wishes to continue playing.

If you can, try to get the entry level pianos in the higher model ranges from Yamaha or Kawai. From Yamaha, consider the U1, and from Kawai consider the K-3. My personal preference is for the K-3. Forget the K-8. It is the wrong instrument for your needs right now.

A
A
digitus,

thanks for the welcome. You know what is the price of the K8 here? gosh, you will be surprise. 21K

http://www.beggsmusic.net.nz/afawcs0117489/SUBID=1/page=1/products.html

A Yamaha U3 used is between 4-5K NZD.

I found out the shipping price from Singapore to NZ. And even if I add the shipping cost, the UX is still cheaper than what I can get in NZ. Maybe I can sideline and sell pianos? smile

To me, that is the dilemma.

if Kawai (as you have the K8), which is a good entry level one that I should focus on?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@angy,

The prices are astonishing, but surely negotiable to an extent. That's the disadvantage of being in a relatively remote location with a small population.

I think a used K-3 will be fine for your needs, if you can find one. Otherwise a Yamaha U1 will do too. I forgot to mention earlier that you might want to consider other makes from Korea and China as well. I suggest Yamaha and Kawai because they are known quantities to me.

Please find a good dealer first!

A
A
Digitus,

it is very usual here in NZ. People pay the price that is pointed out by the dealer. 99% no negotiation.

another dealer, check out the price

http://www.lewiseady.co.nz/shop/Pianos/Kawai+Pianos/Kawai+Upright+Pianos.html

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Spent another hour at E&S late this afternoon, mostly on the F212, and a few minutes on the F183 just before I left.

For someone like me who is still struggling to get my hands back into shape, the F212's lighter touch is hard to control. The F183's slightly heavier touch suits me better.

I also struggled with the damper pedal. The Fazioli's have such incredible sustain that you are restricted in how much fudging you can do with the damper pedal to hide inadequate technique.

Oh, not that I intend to get a Fazioli (let alone a grand) just yet, but I read the Fazioli warranty (and you should read yours too). The warranty does not cover instruments that are located in climatically uncontrolled rooms in which the air temperature is around 20 degC and the RH between 45 and 65 percent. Waiting for clarification for pianos sold in the tropics.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by angy:
Digitus,

it is very usual here in NZ. People pay the price that is pointed out by the dealer. 99% no negotiation.

another dealer, check out the price

http://www.lewiseady.co.nz/shop/Pianos/Kawai+Pianos/Kawai+Upright+Pianos.html
Wow! Rocket pricing?
But is it the rental rate and taxation are much higher at NZ causing the shops to increase price to maintain overhead?

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
A
A
snoppycar,

the price is far too high. I guess everyone needs to eat. So the consumer is the loser.

Overheads are the same as Singapore.

Angy,
Have you checked whether there is any tax to be incurred when you bring a piano into NZ?

Kawai k8-as
A
A
jarjar,

yes there is tax, but it is not the issue. Can ask friend to claim it back through his business.

Now I am checking on shipping cost. I still cannot believe the price differential is so significant.

Maybe i can do sideline business smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
angy, try looking up at local newspapers for used pianos. Maybe you can get a good price?

R
rzz Offline
R
Hi Hi,

Been piano shopping for the past week. Most of the shops I went to recommended me to get a U1 for my toddler.

Saw these:
U1H - 28-30 years
LX113 - 3 years
LU - less than 10 year old

Saw a couple of U1 but they are all more than 25 years old. I read that it's not recommendable to get a U1 more than 25 years of age. Is that true?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi rzz, without getting too technical, all the 3 models are good models for learning.

I'd suggest a good used U1 if your budget allows.
Age 20~35, structure wise, is nothing for a piano. Not like cars.
Mainly, if the parts are ok, you can get.

For example, i have tuned a 23yr U1 recently. This piano is a local piano bought from music plaza, not japan import. The heater was still working when i service the piano. This condition is very good.

What i mean is the leather parts is still lightly worn only. The string are still shinny, the tuning pins have no rust. Tone wise is excellent. As expected, the action need a some regulation, like let-off and back check adjustment.

In summary, with the age in consideration, i don't mind buying such condition as i know it's original and good state. And i have confident that it'll last for at least another 15yrs or more if i take care of it.

Piano of other age are subjected to many unknow factors of different extremes. If a piano is very new, 5yrs, and it's subjected to aircon room set at very cold temp 22deg every night. And in the day the aircon is off and windows are open. Humidity change is very wide. The cold parts in the piano condense with water vapour, the felt parts starts to develop dew mold spots... not nice.

Although piano looks like a black box from the out side, you can request the seller to open the lid, front, bottom and top to inpect the inside for any rust and "flossy" stuff, fishy smell.
Take note of the findings. Compare with another piano. Decide which is better compare to price and condition and tone.

I feel if you buy yamaha, you'll be safe. The LX and LU90 or Lx113 are already very good for a beginner.

It's like:
LU90 = toyota Yaris
LU113 = toyota Vios
U1 = toyota Altis

Taller piano, better bass, better treble.
Like car, more leg space, suspension smoother.

The price paid for second should be much lower that new price. Work out a depriciation rate yourself, eg less 20% compound every 5 years.

As a guideline only for original used piano:

eg new U1 $8000
5yrs $6400
10yrs &45120
15 4096
20 3277
25 2621
30 2097

Of course actual sale price depends on the condition, shop or private seller, over heads and service provide. Sometimes it's ok to pay a little more for service and assurance, and help economy... hehehe
Also, if there has been parts change or replacement, price also are affected slightly.

Bottom line.
1) No point getting a cheapest piano but sounds bad. Not good for ears and learning.

2) No point getting a new piano, won't help the learning speed. But if one can afford, why not? smile

3)Get a reasonable price vs condition piano. Get a 2nd opinion, or even multiple opinions from teachers, friends, technician. Then trust yourself you have made a good decision, and enjoy the sight of a "black beauty" as part of you home decor... hehehe.
When the teacher comes to your home, teacher also says, "wah say!" what a good piano choice!!
Also, i feels a good piano will inspire the learner to play music better n learn at a faster rate.

my 3cents......

cheers

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Updates pls.....

Who bought new/used piano recently?
Share with us whats the latest piano findings/ test results?

rzz, share with us leh..

Digitus, hows the "love-sick"? Ordered a Fazioli 212 already?

jarjar, do you have a cover for your grand?

NW, found any good Baldwin so far... ?

Wizkit, working on your lastest recordings?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have decided, but its not a Fazioli. smile I won't say what I've selected until I can figure out how to swing the purchase. I can't depend on winning Toto, and robbing a bank is generally a bad idea. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Digitus, (i sense you're the tall guy... hehehe)

As a Kawai lover, i bet you book the SK-3 !!! laugh
Yah, i wanted to recommend the genting black/red but, i don't gamble. So i should promote gambling too.

Yes, saving up is definately a good way.
(don't tell me you were the one who dump all the stocks shares and that's why the STi too a tumble?) I'm thinking to get a taxi driving licence.......

Oh tell us what brand you choose ..... pls... we so wanna to know...... kaypoh lah.......

SK-3 = Nissan Cefiro !!!

HI snoopycar, I bought a table runner to cover the music desk area. I don't want a full piano cover, doesn't look nice and i'm lazy to take it off everyday when I play. Have you tried using any tuning software to tune pianos? I've heard somebody using the Tunelab.

Kawai k8-as
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, that somebody is me lor... you can see some of my webpage pic has the HP PDA. TuneLab PPC is great. Helps me to tune in homes where children watch mickey mouse, bus zoom pass every minute, watching serial movie.... blending chilli padi..
Get 1, i teach you how to tune!!

Well done, that's another innovation!!
I never thought of covering the desk area with a table cloth. I tried to remove the desk and place on top of the close lid. Sound cannot come out from the front, not siok. And the desk becomes too high. If you like, you can think of a way to cover the perimeter too. Notice the gap around the main lid? Dust can get in too.
Enjoy your kakakakawhy....

cheers

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wait lah. Don't want to say yet. If I get it I will reveal all, if not then pretend nothing happened.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
ok ok lah... don't spoil the surprise element right?

hi all!! new to piano world... and also hopefully will get to be new to piano.. cos intending to take up piano..

first of all will be the hunt for the most impt item.. piano!

have sorta decided on a digital piano (dp) for now, being the price and allowing me to put it on headphones.. then probably consider acoustic piano few years down the road if my interest is still intense ..

any recommendations?

been surfing the net quite a bit.. seems that yamaha & korg dp are the better ones..
therefore, deciding between yamaha dgx 620, korg sp250... cost abt $1k-$12k...

my main concern is the weighted keys shld match acoustic types to the best.. althou i noe it'll never be the same...

music lover..
lisa
Page 38 of 136 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission