2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#885998 02/11/04 02:32 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
So, Mr. Bush is well into an election year and he still needs to shore up his own base.

Of course, we know the fiscal conservatives are upset with him because of the massive explosion of federal spending and the size of the Fderal government.

One would have thought, though, that the social conservatives would be locked into his corner. Apparently not. Mr. Bush has decided to support a Constitutional Amendment against gay marriages to placate the social conservatives.

With the nation at war and American's dying daily, with terrorists acting with impunity throughout the world, with job creation virtually nil, with inflationary pressures beginning to develop, with the world having lost confidence in anything the US says based on its intelligence gathering, one would think that Mr. Bush has more important issues to address.

He would address them, of course, if he knew he had his own base in line. They obviously aren't, so off he goes to throw them a bone that the President cannot even deliver because he is not involved in the process -- but which the social conservatives can see as a reason to come back to the fold.

A very interesting commentary on the fear that is beginning to grip the White House.

You can be disappointed, but you cannot walk away. This fight has just begun. Senator John Edwards
#885999 02/11/04 02:55 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Andrew:

With the nation at war and American's dying daily,
confused

with terrorists acting with impunity throughout the world,
confused

with job creation virtually nil,
confused
with inflationary pressures beginning to develop,
confused

What planet are you posting from, John?

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
#886000 02/11/04 03:01 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sometimes your lack of political finesse makes me laugh out loud.

The economy is turning around, and if it acts as typical with this type of growth, will create 600,000 jobs in the last 2-3 quarters. So I think Bush will have the economy.

The gay marriage issue has "wedge" written all over it, and Kerry's on the wrong side of the wedge.

Oh, couple that with Fienstein's attempt to renew the "assault weapon" ban (forgot that is coming up this summer, didn't you?), and you have TWO wedge issues.

Now please combine those two facts with the exit polls of why people have voted for Kerry in the Democratic primaries - a large percentage of voters, roughly 30-35%, have no earthly idea of Kerry's voting record in the Senate. I can assure you that his record will be explained to the American people in excruciating detail. According to more than one yardstick, Kerry is one of the top three liberal Senators, and that is not where the majority of the country is politically. These people are voting for him based on his military record, because of the safety issue. 9/11 still has political legs.

However, when it comes down to fighting terrorists, Bush still gets the nod from the majority of the American public, so those votes will peel away from Kerry.

I don't think Rove, et al, are worried - I think they have identified the prospective nominee, and are starting to campaign.

Quite happily, since they have two wedge issues in their back pockets.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#886001 02/11/04 03:29 PM
It sounds more like you are worried, John. [Linked Image]

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
#886002 02/11/04 04:46 PM
M
MLT Offline
M
The more I learn about Kerry, the more I think that Bush will beat him so badly I will have to avert my eyes. Dean could have given him a run for his money perhaps but Kerry? The only person worse for the Democratic nomination would be Ted Kennedy.

Do you remember when Bob Dole went up against Bill Clinton? This will be way worse than that.

Democrats are happy because they have been making it in the news lately because of their nomination process. They seem to have gotten some traction on a few issues after being marginalized for the last two years. They forget that Republicans have not even begun to campain. Kerry can have his few weeks in the sun and I hope he enjoys it. I hope he does not resign from his Senate seat anytime soon, he will still need a job when its all said and done, and the chances of him getting elected president are nil.

Kirk

#886003 02/11/04 05:52 PM

Wheels
#886004 02/11/04 10:05 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
If you think the Constitutional Amendment is NOT to shore up a base that should be solid now and is just a wedge issue, you might be interested ing the following from the NY Times.

As is clear in the article, the worry is not that the conservatives will find another candidate, but rather that they will stay home out of disillusionment -- while the Democrats are fired up.

Based on this, if Mr. Rove is not worried, he should be. And, of course, wedge issues are exactly those that fire up the faithful.

Some Noted Conservatives Bash Bush
By JIM RUTENBERG

WASHINGTON (Feb. 9)- For most of his presidency, George W. Bush has counted on a chorus of conservative newspaper columnists, radio hosts and television commentators to give powerful punctuation to his initiatives, proposals and defenses.

But in recent days, there has been an uptick in criticism of Mr. Bush from those quarters, underscoring strains between him and the Republican base that has so faithfully defended him in the past.

For example, Peggy Noonan, the Reagan speechwriter, had this to say on Sunday in opinionjournal.com about Mr. Bush's "Meet the Press" interview: "The president seemed tired, unsure and often bumbling. His answers were repetitive, and when he tried to clarify them he tended to make them worse."

George Will, the conservative columnist, wrote in his syndicated column on Sunday, "It is surreal for a Republican president to submit a budget to a Republican-controlled Congress and have Republican legislators vow to remove the 'waste' that he has included and that they have hitherto funded."

While most conservatives remain squarely behind Mr. Bush, the united front has not been quite as united.

Columnists like Robert Novak, conservative television hosts like Joe Scarborough of MSNBC and others on local radio and the Internet have raised questions about Mr. Bush.

"It's a critical departure," said J. David Hoeveler, a professor of history at the University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, who said last week that he believed that his local conservative radio host, Charlie Sykes, had begun sounding less exuberant about Mr. Bush. "Generally it's been whole-heartedly Republican," Mr. Hoeveler said of the tenor of the conservative media. "It would suggest that those who would call themselves Republicans are quite possibly breaking ranks."

Bush campaign officials say the frustration stems from an eagerness among his supporters to take on the Democrats aggressively, which they say he will begin to do soon. And some columnists and commentators who have voiced criticism of the president insisted on Monday that they were not breaking ranks and that he remained their standard-bearer.

Still, several conservative columnists and commentators said their pronouncements of disappointment resulted from growing frustration with what they saw as unbridled federal spending, Mr. Bush's mixed signals on gay marriage and his caution in meeting fierce critiques from a newly emboldened opposition.

Republicans who gave him poor grades for his performance on "Meet the Press," for instance, said they were concerned that he was not in fighting form when the possible Democratic challenger, Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, is.

Many critiques go beyond politics. For instance, until recently Mr. Scarborough, a former Republican congressman from Florida, was as energetic a booster of Mr. Bush as anyone. He said he began speaking out against the Bush fiscal policy about two months ago, as he grew alarmed by the growing deficit and what he said were needlessly expensive proposals, like a manned Mars expedition and an increase in financing for the National Endowment of the Arts.

"When I first started doing it, I had Republicans calling me up and saying `Hey, why are you knocking a guy who's from your party?' " he said. "Two months later, everybody seems to be saying it. There's been no fiscal restraint and that's hurting the party and it's hurting the conservative cause."

In one column last week, Mr. Novak criticized Mr. Bush for giving "the most ineffective State of the Union address in recent years." And, he wrote, the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and the admission that the president's plan to expand Medicare would cost more than initially estimated were "a double blow to his credibility."

Mr. Novak pointed out in an interview that despite his criticism, most Republicans are not likely to vote for the Democratic nominee. But, he said: "The problem is not whether they vote for Kerry. The problem is whether they stay at home."

Terry Holt, the president's campaign spokesman, said he expected it all to quiet down as soon as Mr. Bush went up against Mr. Kerry directly, should the senator capture the nomination. "When the campaign enters a new period where Kerry will stand in direct comparison to the president, there will be a more intense focus on Kerry's record," Mr. Holt said, "And I think what we're seeing from these folks is a sense that they are ready for that period to begin."

You can be disappointed, but you cannot walk away. This fight has just begun. Senator John Edwards
#886005 02/11/04 10:33 PM
John Andrew, Kool-Aid drinker.

Jeez, dude, wake up and smell the iced latte (what is it that the elites like kathyk say?)

What you're pointing out is that conservatives are honest and will criticize their own, unlike the liberals who line up behind Monica and in the end, end up with love juice on thier lips.

Wheels
#886006 02/11/04 11:33 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Every study done to date shows something like 80+% of Americans, regardless of party, are against gay marriage, and support an amendment that will end the confusion about it.

And the NY Times has been shown to be to the left of Pravda, more and more viewed even by liberal democrats as so biased and full of propaganda that is isn't worth reading.

#886007 02/12/04 12:25 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So far it looks like the Democrats haven't found a candidate with a chance of winning, and that's unfortunate. Bush's actions vis-a-vis Afghanistan and Iraq were correct and well received and no amount of Monday morning quarter-backing can change that. Some of his administrations other actions aren't quite so clearly well accepted. The tax cuts may be destabilizing in the long-term and could certainly be a topic of debate, especially the inheritance tax issue. Also, the incredible actions of the Federal Energy Regulatory Comission carrying water for Enron, El Paso, and the other oil boys, in itself, deserves investigation and debate. The role of Secretary Fall (or was that VP Cheney) in the energy rape of California should be of interest to everyone. But none of the Democratic candidates inspire any confidence. It's too bad. This is a winnable election for the Democrats, but attacking GWB's administration for the things most people think they are doing well, and otherwise acting clueless won't get a Democrat elected.

"How, Monsieur, you care not for music? You do not play the clavecin? I am sorry for you! You are indeed condemming yourself to a dull old age!" - Fouquet
#886008 02/12/04 12:45 AM
Originally posted by JoeB:
This is a winnable election for the Democrats
Not with their current crop of nincompoops.

[Linked Image]

Wheels
#886009 02/12/04 12:47 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Not with their current crop of nincompoops
My point exactly.

"How, Monsieur, you care not for music? You do not play the clavecin? I am sorry for you! You are indeed condemming yourself to a dull old age!" - Fouquet
#886010 02/12/04 12:52 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The more I learn about Kerry, the more I think that Bush will beat him so badly I will have to avert my eyes.

If you think what you know about him so far is bad, get a load of this 1970 article that has come to light, which ran in the Harvard Crimson:

John Kerry: A Navy Dove Runs for Congress

Some choice tidbits:

Kerry said that the United Nations should have control over most of our foreign military operations. "I'm an internationalist. I'd like to see our troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations."

Kerry wants "to almost eliminate CIA activity."

For a followup article that ran today, click the "related articles" link.

Eliminate the CIA, and turn out military over to complete control by the UN... yep - he's gonna be toast very soon.

#886011 02/12/04 02:15 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
JA,

gryphon is exactly right. This is the kind of routine, honest disagreement and criticism that goes on among those on the right.

If you think this is a sign that any of those conservatives speaking out are looking to Kerry as their savior you have badly misread the tea leaves.

Just a case of open minded conservatives sharing opinions that differ. Pretty common stuff. yawn

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
#886012 02/12/04 12:09 PM
M
MLT Offline
M
Oh my, it gets worse. I read in the news today that Jane Fonda is defending Kerry. If I were running for president the last thing in the world I would want is to have Jane Fonda in agreement with anything that I did.

This boy Kerry is gonna get beat like a red headed step child. How could this happen to the Democratic party?

#886013 03/10/04 11:47 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
He must be especially worried, since he is once again in the hot seat. Maybe that's why he's been laying (or was lying?) low these days??? Rove Admits Smear Campaign

#886014 03/10/04 12:06 PM
From the magazine's mission statement:

Mission Statement

The aim of The American Prospect is to contribute to a renewal of America's democratic traditions by presenting a practical and convincing vision of liberal philosophy, politics and public life. We publish articles for the general reader that attempt to break through conventional understanding and creatively reframe public questions. Ours is not a magazine of complaint, of angry gestures or of private irritations. It is a magazine of public ideas, firmly committed -- however unfashionably -- to a belief in public improvement. America can do much good, and it can do much better.

The American Prospect was launched in 1990 by Paul Starr, Robert Kuttner and Robert B. Reich. The Prospect is available on newsstands, by subscription and online. It is published by The American Prospect Inc., an independent nonprofit organization established by the magazine's founders. We are also proud to host and produce Moving Ideas, an online consortium of more than 125 progressive policy organizations.

The American Prospect does not back individual political candidates, nor does it attempt to achieve unanimity or consistency among its writers. It seeks to provide a forum for working through the heated controversies and hard choices that vex its editors and writers as much as other Americans. The magazine, however, generally reflects moral and political commitments that are broadly identified with the liberal and progressive traditions in America.

The impetus for founding The American Prospect came from the conservative ascendancy of the past two decades. During the 1970s and 1980s, many older liberal publications grew tired or ambivalent. Meanwhile, vigorous, well-financed conservative publications, think tanks and communication networks developed. New circumstances required liberals and progressives to rethink much that they had taken for granted, but they also required new energy and new institutions with a strong, positive sense of their own -- and America's -- mission.

As much as the magazine would wish to claim autonomy, I read 4 articles while perusing the website, and glanced at many more headlines.

Bush bad, Democrat good, is the basic mantra.

The article cited is without meat. Typical KathyK stuff. :rolleyes:

#886015 03/10/04 12:07 PM
Wrong link, kathyk? That one was about Valerie Plame, not about a smear campaign against Kerry.

Wheels
#886016 03/10/04 12:54 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Gimmee a break Jolly. Do you think I give a cat's rotten fish-head whiskers what the publication's mission statement is? This is ALL over news. Rove's hands are so dirty in this, it's pathetic. I originally posted stuff on this back in Sept and it ain't gonna go away. What he did was reprehensible.

#886017 03/11/04 01:07 AM
No ma'am,

I fully realize you do not care where your news comes from.

As long as you agree with it.

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission