Piano World Home Page
Posted By: tre corda Ave Verum Corpus Mozart/Liszt - 10/23/21 05:33 AM
Posted By: Maestro Lennie Re: Ave Verum Corpus Mozart/Liszt - 10/23/21 12:13 PM
Makes me more and more interested in the large Bluthners-- one could be a wonderful vehicle for this piece.
Posted By: dogperson Re: Ave Verum Corpus Mozart/Liszt - 10/23/21 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Makes me more and more interested in the large Bluthners-- one could be a wonderful vehicle for this piece.

I agree. I do not care for the tone of the piano used in the posted recording; I did not find a note on the YouTube video that referenced the brand.
Posted By: David-G Re: Ave Verum Corpus Mozart/Liszt - 10/23/21 02:46 PM
It is a Steinway. You can see the name on the fallboard - and also, I went to Olafsson's recent Mozart recital at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London, where he played this piece, and that was on a Steinway. I agree it might sound good on a Bluthner - I shall have to get the score, and then I can try it out! I think it would also sound good on my 1804 Broadwood - but I might have to alter those extreme bass notes!

It was, by the way, an astonishing recital - I thought it was a miracle of Mozart interpretation. On that basis, I would not hesitate to recommend getting the CD.

The concert was broadcast live on BBC Radio 3, and that is still available for another 9 days, here. Highly recommended! Olfafsson's transcription of the Adagio from the Adagio of the G minor String Quintet is particularly moving.
Posted By: tre corda Re: Ave Verum Corpus Mozart/Liszt - 10/23/21 07:20 PM
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Ave Verum Corpus Mozart/Liszt - 10/23/21 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by David-G
It is a Steinway. You can see the name on the fallboard

Yes it does say Steinway and it may well be. Listening to this performance in the space that he is apparently in (which is pretty cool) I am thinking this may simply a heavily produced performance.

Also, I don't see any mics mounted anywhere (please clue me in if I missed something).

It sounds to me like a mix of close and ambient mics making the recording, so he may be "finger syncing". "Finger syncing" is basically playing to a prerecorded version of your performance. It is less common in classical music, but it happens.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: tre corda Re: Ave Verum Corpus Mozart/Liszt - 10/23/21 08:44 PM
Thank you David for posting the link for the recording of the recital at the Queen Elizabeth Hall.I downloaded the recording and am listening to it on and off all day.I heard there were two pianos at the recital.I wonder if they were two different sized
Steinway instruments or were they different brands. I enjoyed the tone of all the pianos that were played.

Rich I think you may be correct although I am no expert.
Posted By: tre corda Re: Ave Verum Corpus Mozart/Liszt - 10/23/21 09:38 PM
The piece of course is originally a sacred choral piece that we are familiar with.This arrangement and performance by the artist is really quite moving. (I thought) There are moments of profound joy, yet it still somehow still sounds like an authentic ,late Mozart piano Adagio.(which is baffling) Of course I am not saying it is better than the original choral work, just different.(to myself still spritual)
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums