Piano World Home Page
Posted By: EFG Yamaha N1X hybrid or GBK1 - 06/26/21 06:52 PM
Hi there,
I’m in the market for a new piano. Budget is around $12,000 CAD. I live in a small province where there is very little option in terms of buying used and new pianos. There is only a Yamaha dealer around so unfortunately I have no way to try any Kawai models.

I tried the Yamaha B3 and didn’t like the action although sound was nice. I liked the action of the GBK1 but think the low notes were slightly lacking. But this wasn’t a deal breaker for me. I found a GBK1 used (6 years old) for 12,000 CAD.

I also tried a N1X today and was pleasantly surprised. I hadn’t considered a hybrid but thought the action felt quite real.

I’d be playing a fair bit and teach from a home studio. I just finished my M.Mus so want to keep my chops up, and I play chamber music with my partner. Would love some insight from GBK1/N1X owners/connoisseurs.

Thanks!

Esmée
Posted By: Normangh Re: Yamaha N1X hybrid or GBK1 - 06/28/21 04:03 AM
Hello,

I'm a proud owner of a GBK1 and I'm very happy that I made the decision to purchase one last year.

I owned quite a few digital pianos, synths, etc and upgrading to an acoustic baby grand has made a world of difference in my everyday enjoyment of an instrument.

I was fortunate to purchase new but a 6 year old (good condition) instrument should serve you well.

The tone and feel of the piano delights me. The general emphasis of low tones are characteristic for an instrument of it's size and are not a problem for myself either.

In my shopping around... I tried out an N1X but my opinion is that it truly cannot compare to an "acoustic" experience. That being said though, get to know the positives and negatives of owning an acoustic versus a digital instrument and make a decision based on your preference and lifestyle.

Happy shopping!

Norman
Posted By: Elsandersj Re: Yamaha N1X hybrid or GBK1 - 07/06/21 05:43 PM
I bought a Yamaha N1X a month ago and I love it but for one problem. Occasionally a key will not play until it is struck a second time. I'm no technician but it seems this would be problem of regulation but it is quite random and I can't tell the dealer "A4 sticks" so I get reactions of disbelief on the describing the problem.

I know another N1X owner who has had his N1X a couple months longer and he has the same problem but apparently a little worse. The dealer did regulate his but he still has the problem.

I see some chatter about this in the forums but most of it is quite recent so I wonder if Yamaha is doing something differently.

I bought a hybrid because I needed the headphone capability but really wanted the acoustic feel. I love this piano but it is quite disappointing to have the problem and not be able to raise any serious concern with the dealer.
Posted By: Beemer Re: Yamaha N1X hybrid or GBK1 - 07/29/21 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Elsandersj
I bought a Yamaha N1X a month ago and I love it but for one problem. Occasionally a key will not play until it is struck a second time. I'm no technician but it seems this would be problem of regulation but it is quite random and I can't tell the dealer "A4 sticks" so I get reactions of disbelief on the describing the problem.

I know another N1X owner who has had his N1X a couple months longer and he has the same problem but apparently a little worse. The dealer did regulate his but he still has the problem.

I see some chatter about this in the forums but most of it is quite recent so I wonder if Yamaha is doing something differently.

I bought a hybrid because I needed the headphone capability but really wanted the acoustic feel. I love this piano but it is quite disappointing to have the problem and not be able to raise any serious concern with the dealer.
The N1x has 256note polyphony but since the instrument is stereo there is only 128 note polyphony per side. Further more using sustain the damper resonance will use up some of the 128. The result can be the effect you have experienced which is note dropout. This can be even worse if you layer sounds
Ian
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums