Piano World Home Page
Posted By: TheHappyPianoMuse here has the "edit" feature gone? - 06/29/15 06:57 AM
I notice that I can no longer edit my posts ... which for me is very frustrating since my spelling is atrocious and needs correction. I'm becoming very wary of posting anything because I know it's now "written in stone".

Where is that feature? Has it been permanently disabled?
Posted By: casinitaly Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 06/29/15 12:04 PM
No it isn't disabled, it is simply a smaller window of time.

It is six minutes, and has been for quite a while now.

I suggest you use the preview feature before submitting. You can preview, chech, correct, preview again if you want to and hit submit only when you are happy with your post.
Thanks so much. I seem to remember that one could even delete a post about a year ago ... but I may be confused. Six minutes should give me enough time to locate my spelling bloopers ... laugh
Posted By: casinitaly Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 06/30/15 09:25 AM
I think you might be able to delete a post within the six minutes, but I am not sure. I can, because I have moderator super powers smile but I don't remember how it works for others.

I f you can't delete the post, you can delete the contents.
And there is always the option of reporting the post and asking a moderator to remove it.

Posted By: Gatsbee13 Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 07/28/17 02:00 AM
hmm.. why is it like that here?
Posted By: Roshan Kakiya Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 06/20/18 12:51 PM
Posted By: keystring Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 06/20/18 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I think you might be able to delete a post within the six minutes, but I am not sure. I can, because I have moderator super powers smile but I don't remember how it works for others.

I f you can't delete the post, you can delete the contents.
And there is always the option of reporting the post and asking a moderator to remove it.

Casinitaly, I share the situation where I'm a moderator on another site, of not always knowing what it's like for general members since my "super powers" makes things work differently for me. So FYI smile I've found on PW since it got its revamp:

- You can edit your post within a limited period - I haven't timed it, but it's relatively short.
- You can delete your post (or its contents) for a bit longer time. (I forget right now which feature lasts longer: deleting or editing)
- After a period (hours?) the edit button disappears. After that you can't do anything. If it is imperative to change or delete that post, you must ask a moderator. PW changed in this respect.
Posted By: keystring Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 06/20/18 06:20 PM
Again FYI to mods on what non-mods see and can(not) do. This is a screenshot of the bottom of my own post which I posted at 1:15 and looked at again, at 2:15. If I look at the more recent post I wrote in this thread, I see "Edit / Reply / Quote / Report /E-mail Post". In the screenshot you'll see that the "Edit" option is no longer there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlm450uciartf4k/zPW.jpg?dl=0
Posted By: casinitaly Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 06/20/18 07:54 PM
I am no longer a moderator, I resigned a few weeks ago. While it was nice of you to look into It, I am not really concerned about how much time I have for editing my posts.
Thanks anyway.
Posted By: MarkL Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 07/26/18 01:27 AM
I vote for having the ability to edit a post forever. I often realize after someone tries to interpret what I've written that I could make it clearer, or include additional information. I don't see any benefit to restricting the ability to edit.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 07/26/18 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by MarkL
I vote for having the ability to edit a post forever. I often realize after someone tries to interpret what I've written that I could make it clearer, or include additional information. I don't see any benefit to restricting the ability to edit.

Forever is too long.
But I wish it were a bit longer.

I'm not sure exactly how long it was prior to the recent re-boot (a few months ago), but whatever it was, it felt just about perfect.

I'd guess that the "edit" period in the past was about an hour or two.
I think the "delete" period was VARIABLE, but always shorter than the "edit" period, with the length seeming to depend on whether or not there were replies to the post yet. It's possible that the "delete" period ended as soon as there was a reply.
Posted By: Pianist685 Re: here has the "edit" feature gone? - 07/30/18 01:40 PM
Until May, I could edit a post within a time frame of approx. 5 hours. Then in May the editing period was suddenly reduced to about 5 minutes without prior notification or explanation. I find that a bit embarrassing since I am not a native English speaker and sometimes want to correct grammar or spelling mistakes after having posted a reply.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums