Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Pianoperformance8 Piano practicing Tips - 04/01/19 02:43 PM
https://youtu.be/hzZT_LyOJwE

Very useful as I have started to jot down a review of my practice [good, bad and ugly], as suggested by my teacher. I find it encouraging to see the progress. I try to focus on the bad at beginning of each practice and get guidance from teacher on the ugly.

Definitely support the practice of going over the ‘homework’/challenging bars/measures highlighted after a lesson and do this at the beginning of any practice. Learning to be mindful is chellenging and being honest with oneself is equally important. It has taken me a few years to be in this space, letting go of the overwhelmed sensation when faced with new music.

Just learn the patience muscle in getting here...you will with consistency.
Posted By: Cheshire Chris Re: Piano practicing Tips - 04/01/19 04:23 PM
I see that this is the "How to Practise" video from the current issue of "Pianist" magazine, in case anyone else (like me) has already seen it.
Posted By: Fidel Re: Piano practicing Tips - 04/03/19 01:07 AM
I chuckled when she said professionals do not practice hours & hours a day instead their practice is limited to 4 or 5 hours a day!

Speaking as an adult beginner 4 or 5 hours isn't a "limit" it's a pipe dream. How many of you practice that much on a DAILY basis?

My goal when I started in 2017 was 4 hours day but after a year and half I finally admitted I can't reach that goal. Life is too full of interruptions.
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Piano practicing Tips - 04/03/19 01:12 AM
Well many of us have other obligations in life bud we were professional I would expect to practice that much or more.
Posted By: Cheshire Chris Re: Piano practicing Tips - 04/03/19 07:44 AM
If you're a professional pianist and hence it's your "job", then working 4-5h a day isn't really very much.
Posted By: Pianoperformance8 Re: Piano practicing Tips - 04/03/19 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
If you're a professional pianist and hence it's your "job", then working 4-5h a day isn't really very much.

Agree with Chris. Most normal jobs is at least 8 hours a day! Also, their level of practice is very focused and targeted to specific goals. And that comes with a lot of experience.
That said, as an adult beginner and looking back - when I started, I was really clueless on what practice meant and how I went about it. 6 years on, I am only becoming more aware of how to practice effectively and what I am trying to achieve in those productive moments. Quality versus quantity.
Posted By: ghosthand Re: Piano practicing Tips - 04/03/19 12:56 PM
But professional pianists, like concert pianists that tour internationally, have so many other tasks involved except piano practice. It is business matters and travelling and one million practical arrangements that take a lot of time and energy. Many of them also give lessons. Not to mention performances, of course, including rehearsals ... festivals ... even PR work, interviews ... sounds very glamorous but I have seen it at a close distance and I think it looks like a dog's life sometimes.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums