Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Johan B Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/27/21 09:03 AM
Hi pianoworld-members,

Just like last year, you can post your musically goals for 2022 just here at ABF…..

Just like this year I will remember you in exactly one year.....at December 26 th, 2022 grin grin

We all are curious and looking forward what you want to play in 2022, will you reach a new grade?.....play more instruments......or.......purchase a new piano or grand?.........sparkle at a recital? Please tell us.....

I hope this year will be a better year for all of us; no covid problems sick sick cry and just a fine musically year in a good health smile smile for everybody.

All the best for 2022 thumb thumb…..and let us know....

Best regards,
Johan B
Posted By: Johan B Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/27/21 09:24 AM
Hi there,

As author of this thread I will start….

- Piano playing 6/7 days a week……..
- Playing at a slower pace when I'm playing in front of others. Calm myself down…..
- Improve my piano technique……
- Improving my pedal technique on organ…..
- Lots of playing in the Willibrordus church…..
- Hosting the organ museum in Elburg…..

I’m curious what your musical ambitions are……best wishes for 2022 thumb thumb

Kind regards,
Johan B
Beginner pianist here, so my goals are tempered with both hope and ignorance.

Goals for 2022.

Greatly improve the speed of my sight reading (I know I can do this one).
Play passable (clumsy, but all the way through) versions of:

Dubussy - Arabesque No. 1
Rachmaninoff - Prelude in C# Minor

It probably sounds nuts, but I'm suuuuuuuper stubborn, so I'm going to find a way.
We'll see after 1,000 hours of practice and teaching my parrot new swear words.
Posted By: Sam S Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/27/21 05:24 PM
Johan, thanks for keeping the tradition alive. Those are some impressive goals. Its wonderful that you can play the organ in that church.

Is this your Church? St. Willibrord's Church It's beautiful!

I'm going to have to think about my goals for 2022 - I want something I have a reasonable chance of actually reaching!

Sam
Posted By: Johan B Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/27/21 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Sam S
Johan, thanks for keeping the tradition alive. Those are some impressive goals. Its wonderful that you can play the organ in that church.

I'm going to have to think about my goals for 2022 - I want something I have a reasonable chance of actually reaching!

Sam

Hi Sam,

No, this is the church I talked from……a little bit smaller and less impressive, but also fine… grin
Willibrorduschurch at Kloosterburen, look at the pics
The organ…

Kind regards
Johan B
Posted By: Sam S Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/27/21 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Johan B

Sam

Hi Sam,

No, this is the church I talked from……a little bit smaller and less impressive, but also fine… grin
Willibrorduschurch at Kloosterburen, look at the pics
The organ…

Kind regards
Johan B

It's beautiful - must be very inspiring to play the organ there!

Sam
Posted By: Bart K Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/27/21 10:48 PM
I envy you Johan. I would love to play on a real organ. Unfortunately, that's not a realistic goal for me.

My goals for next year are:

1. Improve my sight-reading.
2. Continue learning quick study pieces every 1-2 weeks.
3. Learn some longer pieces - I'm thinking of a Bach French suite and/or a complete Beethoven sonata.
4. Learn something from composers I've been neglecting - maybe some Brahms or Scriabin.
5. Build a larger music library.
Posted By: Johan B Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/28/21 09:21 PM

Shall we succeed…..?…..achieve our goals…….I’m curious….

Succes thumb thumb

Kind regards
Johan B
Posted By: lautreamont Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 03:51 PM
For 2022 I have technical and repertoire goals.

Technically I want to work on touch and fluidity. I want to develop my general technique and improve my nonlegato touch.
I have a lot of repertoire goals:
Chopin: 2 Nocturnes (easier ones), 2 Preludes Op 28 nos 10 and 14 for faster practice.
Schubert Op 90 no 4 for a piece that is longer than the stuff I usually learn
Godowsky-Chopin Tristesse Etude for the left hand
Scriabin: a couple of the preludes Op 11 focusing on octaves and chords
Busoni Prelude #2

I think that is doable—I’ve practiced most of those pieces, but I want to play them well. Also a wish for me is to practice some Bach sinfonias—I don’t really have aspirations of performing them, but I want to work more concertedly on counterpoint. Depending on time and my workload I want to practice some Debussy and Lili Boulanger. And as a push piece if I’m up to the challenges of everything on my list I would like to start work later in the year on Ravel’s Valses
Posted By: mtb Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 05:22 PM
Thank you for starting this thread. This gave me a chance to think deeply about what I hope to tackle this year. As a very early beginner, I have 6 process goals (“how to” do) and 6 task goals (“what to” do) for 2022.

tl;dr version:

Habits:
* 5x practice sessions/week
* explore: shorter, more often?
* primed by exercise
* use a timer daily
* keep a piano journal
* via frequent practice, hard-wire the “start slow to go fast” learning method, focusing first on scales, then difficult sections of daily lesson/rep work

Tasks:
* Finish PGS intermediate and advanced lessons
* Sight Reading: study, immersion, testing via Piano Marvel
* 40 easy songs, to be determined
* 2 stretch goal songs, ‘Succession’ and ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’
* improve Roland:GO travel piano with vi Labs ‘Modern U’.
Posted By: mtb Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 05:26 PM
Please skip this detailed version of the list above, if you are annoyed by long posts. It’s for my recall and clarifying ‘what the heck did I mean by that’, as I try to move forward. Thanks— and have a wonderful, happy, and productive New Year!
m.

==================== “Process Goals”

schedule habits: 3 habit goals
* frequent: practice 5 days a week (ideally: 7 days, at least 10 mins)
* short: experiment with shorter practice sessions, multiple times in a day
* primed: prioritize piano practice immediately after workouts (swimming, walks, etc.)
* “… we have it within our power to induce in ourselves a state that is ideal for learning… by exercising briskly just before we do so.” positive learning impact on cognitive function lasts for up to 2 hours after moderately intense activity. - research finding, “The Extended Mind”

practice habits: 3 habit goals
* pivot: “don’t overfill a full cup”:
* practice pivoting focus after 25 minutes
* timer: use 25/5 minute timer daily to encourage frequent breaks
* journal: keep a piano journal
* reflect weekly: what’s my current ‘rate limiting step?’

technical habits: 1 habit goal
* focus on hard-wiring the ‘super slow, teeny tiny’ method of fast learning
details: “To Go Fast, Start Slow”
* commit to slow, methodical ‘very small’ tempo increases
* relax, slow down
* use metronome and
* very explicit & clear plan/pattern
* to methodically increase tempo
* in very small increments
* at 100% accuracy each time:

* @ scales: learn and practice, using the method
* @ rep: daily, integrate ‘slow, tiny’ into daily learn/practice of difficult sections of lessons, songs, pieces

==================== “Task Goals”

lessons: 3 achievement goals
* PGS:
* complete Intermediate Lessons
* complete Advanced Lessons
* Piano Marvel: focus on sight-reading
* learning: complete ‘Sight Reading Samurai’ lessons
* integrate SASR into practice:
* initially, once a week
* during immersion, once a day
* immersion: complete one 7-week Sight Reading Sprint during the year
* research findings @22:51 mark:

repertoire: 2 achievement goals
* playful:
* 40 songs in a year - focus on easy songs, a little below current level
* stretch rep:
* Brittell’s “Succession Theme”, simple version
* Hisaishi’s “Merry-Go-Round of Life”, Howl’s Magic Castle, simple version

gear: 1 achievement goal
* upgrade piano sounds on Roland:Go Piano
* install vi Lab’s “Modern U” VST on laptop (purchased Black Friday ‘21)

——
“The Extended Mind”, Annie Paul
The Extended Mind: The Power of Thinking Outside the Brain: Paul, Annie Murphy: 9780544947665: Amazon.com: Books
Posted By: pablobear Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 06:21 PM
Hmm, I don't like goal setting like this. I do stuff in a rather disorganized way but, I will try.

-Play as many Bach inventions until I think I get what I needed from them
-Learn all 24 scales, be able to distinguish minor/major/augmented chords by ear (I can already do ​this I think), circle of fifths in all 24 keys, learn all chord inversions,
-Start actually writing down my compositions, and doing more composing exercise like transcribing pieces I already know in diff keys
-Learn basic sight singing/solfeggio and conducting, not at any good level, just understand general concepts
-Learn one movement of a Beethoven sonata (probably F minor, or the easy g major one)
-Listen to all of Feinberg's compositions, and Scriabin's
-Do 1-2 more concerts after my first one in Feb
-Start russian piano school club at my college
-Watch all of Andrew Furmazyck theory videos, and start using musictheory.net seriously, complete Bastien theory books to test myself
-Look into Yizhak Sadai Harmony book, and Tchaikovsky Harmony book
-Start practicing slowly, and for sight-reading sight read pieces I already know while training myself to look ahead, my biggest weakness as a sight reader is I don't have the habit of looking ahead down.
-Learn some of my scales in thirds/sixths as in the Plaidy book, and maybe complete a whole Czerny book??!?
-Lastly, try to start focusing on one piece a week/or two pieces a week, instead of a bunch of pieces. Narrow my focus more.

EDIT: ALSO PRACTICE ARPEGGIOS WAY MORE I AM SO WEAK AT THEM COMPARED TO SCALES AND OCTAVES/CHORDS GRRRR!!
Posted By: MJBinTkPk Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 06:31 PM
@mtb I like the idea of practicing right after a workout. I did that today without even knowing about this and I like how it felt. Will look to keep that up this year. My overall commitments re my jazz piano efforts:

Learn rootless chords, two hand voicings, and shells in all keys (major, minor, and dominant)

2-5-1 progressions and Tritons substitutions in all twelve keys - major and minor

Practice at least 6 days per week, including at least 15 minutes on scales with emphasis on minor scales

Build in time for practice right after morning walk at least 3 days per week

Learn 6 songs for my repertoire at a proficient level

Thanks,

Marla
Posted By: PianogrlNW Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 06:53 PM
My goals for 2022 are the same as for 2021 which I wrote down in my piano journal and just finished reviewing.

1. Sight-read 2x/week for 30-45 minutes. (Without this goal, I wouldn’t sight-read at all)
2. Play with more dynamic contrast and crescendo and decrescendo more gradually.
3. Play with less/no tension, which means lots more slow practice.
4. Better control of voicing and phrasing.
5. Develop more endurance by playing longer pieces.
6. Play with more energy and precise rhythm.
Posted By: Serge88 Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 07:11 PM
My goal for 2022 is don't give up.
Posted By: s1a1om Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 07:29 PM
1. Encourage my wife to play more and ensure she has the time to do so. It’s her piano and she loves it, but other things get in the way of her playing it.

2. Learn all the major scales myself and start on the minors (both guitar and piano)

3. Decide on and purchase a clavichord kit.

4. Start building said clavichord kit and be ready to complete it in 2023
Posted By: Sam S Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 09:17 PM
I will go with three things again, just to keep it easy.

1) Learn to do historical improvisation. I'm taking the course from John Mortensen - hopefully I can finish it and actually improvise a prelude "in the style of..."

2) Play something in all the online recitals.

3) And play some more clarinet/piano pieces!

Sam
My goals for 2022 are as follows:

• Add 30 minutes of material to my memorized repertoire. I acknowledge that this is an ambitious goal, and adding only 25 minutes would also be a big success
  • Memorize a work at Henle level 7
  • Learn at least one piece by Beethoven
  • Learn at least one piece by Tchaikovsky
  • Learn at least one piece by Schubert
  • Learn at least one piece by Debussy
  • Learn at least one piece by Ravel
  • Learn at least one sonata movement
  • Learn, without memorizing, 15 songs from the Danish "Højskolesangbogens melodibog"
  • Listen to all of Tchaikovsky's "The seasons", while following along in the score, once during the year
  • Listen to all of Debussy's "Childrens corner", while following along in the score, once during the year
  • Listen to Ravel's "Miroirs" and "Gaspard de la nuit", while following along in the score, once during the year
  • Get proper lighting above my piano
  • Get started with video recording of my own playing.
Posted By: Bart K Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
My goals for 2022 are as follows:

• Add 30 minutes of material to my memorized repertoire. I acknowledge that this is an ambitious goal, and adding only 25 minutes would also be a big success
  • Memorize a work at Henle level 7
  • Learn at least one piece by Beethoven
  • Learn at least one piece by Tchaikovsky
  • Learn at least one piece by Schubert
  • Learn at least one piece by Debussy
  • Learn at least one piece by Ravel
  • Learn at least one sonata movement
  • Learn, without memorizing, 15 songs from the Danish "Højskolesangbogens melodibog"
  • Listen to all of Tchaikovsky's "The seasons", while following along in the score, once during the year
  • Listen to all of Debussy's "Childrens corner", while following along in the score, once during the year
  • Listen to Ravel's "Miroirs" and "Gaspard de la nuit", while following along in the score, once during the year
  • Get proper lighting above my piano
  • Get started with video recording of my own playing.
Woah! That sounds ambitious. Are you sure this is realistic?
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Woah! That sounds ambitious. Are you sure this is realistic?

The last five points are of course fairly easy, but for the others the really difficult one will be memorizing 30 minutes of material. If I manage that one, learning one work for each of the named composers will be a done deal, since that simply fits into the 30 minutes. The piece at Henle level 7 I do not expect to be able to play well; my goal is simply to memorize the notes.

Learning the 15 songs from the Danish melody book is not as hard as it may seem, since these are very easy arrangements, and the songs are quite short (and I know the melodies well already). It should require less than 15 minutes work per song (I will not be memorizing them).

There is no doubt that memorizing so much is going to take a lot of effort, but I have memorized a lot of material this year, despite it being a difficult year for me because of time-consuming non-piano related matters. I believe I can do this, but time will tell.
Posted By: Johan B Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 10:34 PM

Wow……fine ambitions….and you know that I always remembered in one year. For several years it worked….. grin grin

Perhaps there are more members who will join this thread….have fun at PW and of course fun when you are playing the keys 🎶🎹🎶 3hearts

Kind regards,
Johan B
Posted By: lilypad Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/29/21 11:49 PM
Here are my 2022 goals:

1) Finish Faber 2 and 3B (using them as review material) and start working at whatever my actual level is (4 and upwards).

2) Relearn forgotten pieces from my repertoire and fix fractures as I notice them instead of allowing them to descend into train wrecks.

3) Polish the two stretch pieces I started way back at the beginning of last year and record them. One is already pledged for one the themed recitals.

4) Avoid working on more that one stretch piece at a time EVER AGAIN. Two was one too many!

5) Come up with at least one complete jazz or popular arrangement of my own and record it.
Posted By: terentius Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/30/21 07:19 AM
My goal is to keep playing and improving.

I’m thinking of getting an in-person teacher again but Covid gets getting in the way; I’m tired of stop & start lockdowns.
Posted By: busa Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/30/21 09:35 AM
I have an end of this year's ambition which started about a month back, which was to get upto about 70% of playing canon in D / Perfect. I'm at 65% at the moment but it's ok if I don't quite make it. I want to be at 100% plus being able to play at 100% with a glass of wine inside me by June 2022 as that's when my son is getting married!

Aside that, I need to learn how to read sheet music, so that will probably do me for 2022. I'm not entirely sure how long that should take, so if I become competent at it, maybe I'll add more later 😊
My goal is to learn how to play along with others, and not just for myself. I want to become a professional pianist and master bigger chords with amazing sounds, if that makes sense! smile
Posted By: ranjit Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/30/21 10:42 PM
Anyone else feel that setting goals might limit them to achieve past them? I initially wanted to set some goals but felt uncomfortable doing so.
Posted By: Sam S Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/30/21 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by ranjit
Anyone else feel that setting goals might limit them to achieve past them? I initially wanted to set some goals but felt uncomfortable doing so.

Moving the goalposts! Just keep pushing the goal out of reach!

Sam
Posted By: Ted Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 12/31/21 11:42 PM
I don’t think in terms of goals aside from the overriding general drive to create. If specific musical or technical issues arise I attend to them but they are not objectives in themselves. If my double notes or chords are getting slack I strengthen them with the Virgil Practice Clavier, if I feel my vocabulary is becoming hackneyed I throw in something new, but those disciplines are subservient to a greater end which is dynamic and ineffable.
Posted By: zzzjjj Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/01/22 07:31 PM
I'm not making any quantifiable goals. However for 2022 I want to continue to work on playing from lead sheets. I also want to participate in the quarterly recitals here. I also make videos of me playing piano and/or drums. I want to put out one every month or two for 2022.

I might get a teacher for a few months to push me further.
Posted By: FarmGirl Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/01/22 10:48 PM
Hi I definitely achieved my 2021 goals that was not to beat up myself for not practicing everyday. Strangely I practiced much more this year than any other prior years. I was able to perform Chopin Ballade #1 three times in front of different audiences. It was not perfect but I played the best I could.

This year I will be an old student back to college. I would like to get a decent grade for all my classes. I am just going through some of the textbooks. I am very excited. Just tuned my violin too. Violin will be my second instrument so that I can satisfy ensemble requirements. I also have to take class piano III for music majors. I was so surprised how much they teach! No wonder I had to take it. Many pieces are sight readable but I’m required to change keys frequently in the exercise. It is not easy. Another thing was to put the accompaniment following the style and instructions. I could see why some voice majors are able to put accompaniment on the spot. Anyway it’s fun.
Posted By: mandan Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/02/22 12:40 AM
Learn double note scales in all keys, rotation around the axis in tremolo and trill
Finish and record the third movement of the op. 14 no. 2 Beethoven Sonata.
Some romantic pieces with lots of trills from Chopin or Mendelssohn.
I would be more interested in harmonic analysis maybe counterpoint as well.
My friend will help me, we started with the d flat major Consolation from Liszt.
Get to know more and more contemporary composers. It is really difficult where to start, there are so many.
I know just the more traditional Kurtág, Eötvös, Ligeti, Carter pieces.
At Van Cliburn I found the american composers, who were choosen by a jury.
1962 Lee Hoiby, Capriccio on Five Notes
1966 Willard Straight, Structure for Piano
1969 Norman Dello Joio, Capriccio on the Interval of a Second
1973 Aaron Copland, Night Thoughts
1977 Samuel Barber, Ballade
1981 Leonard Bernstein, Touches
1985 John Corigliano, Fantasia on an Ostinato
1989 William Schuman, Chester: Variations for Piano
1993 Morton Gould, Ghost Waltzes
1997 William Bolcom, Nine Bagatelles
2001 C. Curtis-Smith, Four Etudes; Lowell Liebermann, Three Impromptus; James Mobberley, Give ‘em heck!; Judith Lang Zaimont, Impronta Digitale
2005 Sebastian Currier, Scarlatti Cadences + Brainstorm; Jennifer Higdon, Secret & Glass Gardens; Daniel Kellogg, scarlet thread; Jan Krzywicki, Nocturnals; Ruth Schonthal, Sonata quasi un’improvvisazione
2009 American Composers Invitational New Works: Mason Bates, White Lies for Lomax; Derek Bermel, Turning; Daron Hagen, Suite for Piano; John Musto, Improvisation & Fugue
2013 Christopher Theofanidis, Birichino
2017 Marc-André Hamelin, Toccata on “L’homme armé”
2022 30 competitors perform a 40-minute recital, to include commissioned work of 4-6 minutes by Stephen Hough
Posted By: Animisha Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/02/22 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
This year I will be an old student back to college.

I have heard previously of your plans and now it is going to happen. So nice! I am glad for you. The best of luck!
Posted By: Sam S Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/02/22 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Hi I definitely achieved my 2021 goals that was not to beat up myself for not practicing everyday. Strangely I practiced much more this year than any other prior years. I was able to perform Chopin Ballade #1 three times in front of different audiences. It was not perfect but I played the best I could.

This year I will be an old student back to college. I would like to get a decent grade for all my classes. I am just going through some of the textbooks. I am very excited. Just tuned my violin too. Violin will be my second instrument so that I can satisfy ensemble requirements. I also have to take class piano III for music majors. I was so surprised how much they teach! No wonder I had to take it. Many pieces are sight readable but I’m required to change keys frequently in the exercise. It is not easy. Another thing was to put the accompaniment following the style and instructions. I could see why some voice majors are able to put accompaniment on the spot. Anyway it’s fun.

That's great FarmGirl - welcome to the club! I enjoyed class piano - very different from the usual piano lessons. Good luck!

Sam
Posted By: Animisha Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/02/22 11:49 AM
That's great FarmGirl - welcome to the club! I enjoyed class piano - very different from the usual piano lessons.

Sam, could you say something about how class piano is different from usual piano lessons? It sounds so interesting!
Posted By: Sam S Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/02/22 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Animisha
That's great FarmGirl - welcome to the club! I enjoyed class piano - very different from the usual piano lessons.

Sam, could you say something about how class piano is different from usual piano lessons? It sounds so interesting!

In the US, at University, all music majors have to take class piano or group piano. At my school - 4 semesters or two years. Imagine you are a tuba player and have never touched a piano - scary. For a "textbook" we used Alfred's Group Piano for adults in two volumes. These are big, thick books, crammed full of interesting exercises that would be useful for someone that wants a career as a band director, choir director, piano teacher, and so forth.

Some of the things we did:
scales, arpeggios, cadences
playing solo piano pieces
sightreading
harmonizing melodies
playing from lead sheets
transposing
playing from band score (and transposing)
playing from choral score (and transposing)
accompanying singers and instrumentalists (simple stuff - we had a different set of classes for the piano majors for this)

It was fun - they placed me in semester 3, so I just did the last 2 semesters.

It was not much fun for the tuba players. And they had to pass all 4 semesters to graduate.

Sam
Posted By: Animisha Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/02/22 12:47 PM
Thank you Sam, that is very interesting! That is quite a requirement, to make every music major play the piano. I can imagine the tuba players, or the percussionists were not too happy. A lot of work! But I am almost a bit tempted to see for myself if I could do piano class...
Congrats Farmgirl as a newly minted early retiree..and I always loved reading Sam’s adventures re music school; it did at the time made me look at my local music schools too. I still have to wait a wee bit to age qualify for reduce rates.

I started 2022 baking sourdough bread and sharing a few loaves with friends and neighbors. I didn’t sit at the piano, and haven’t done so for past 2 weeks. Totally enjoying the break to refocus.

A few things that caught my attention whilst sitting abrsm exams [2021], which was done to see where my weaknesses are and to finally face fast tempo pieces.

in 2022, I will ficus on fast tempo pieces to get beyond ‘my fear’. In fact the fast tempo pieces flushed out my weak rhythm. Hence, my lessons will focus on working through a rhythm book my teacher recommended. I will add 1 or 2 more exams plus abrsm grade 5 theory exam.

2020-21 taught me a lot about myself: it’s keeping things in perspective and in balance.
1. Same as last year -> Continue with easier pieces, work on musicality, relaxation, reading efficiency (not sightreading!). Additionally, I feel like I have learn things over again with the new grand piano. -> I really did have to learn things a bit differently. Playing on the grand is a treat and requires a much different touch then what I had been used to.

2. Continue to participate in ABF recitals, maybe not all, but some.

3. I'm thinking RCM will release a new set of books this year. Looking to perhaps start the RCM 9 journey in Q3 or Q4 of 2022.
Originally Posted by MJBinTkPk
@mtb I like the idea of practicing right after a workout. I did that today without even knowing about this and I like how it felt. Will look to keep that up this year. My overall commitments re my jazz piano efforts:

Learn rootless chords, two hand voicings, and shells in all keys (major, minor, and dominant)

2-5-1 progressions and Tritons substitutions in all twelve keys - major and minor

Practice at least 6 days per week, including at least 15 minutes on scales with emphasis on minor scales

Build in time for practice right after morning walk at least 3 days per week

Learn 6 songs for my repertoire at a proficient level

Thanks,

Marla

These are pretty much my objectives too.
I could add a couple more, but playing in public or as part of a group on the piano is probably my main one.

Other musical objectives include getting back on form with my bass. I even got a new bass amp for Christmas to help motivate me 😆.
Posted By: Johan B Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/02/22 07:58 PM
Hi there,

Very nice, all these wishes......will be great when you succeed. I will remember you next December 26th.....as I did for several years.

Good luck and kind regards,
Johan B
Posted By: RosemaryGirl Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/02/22 09:17 PM
Hi all, and a Happy New year smile

Well, I'm not sure whether I should post anything in this thread, considering that the last time I set goals on here after taking up the piano in 2019, I enjoyed only three months of lessons before my life was upended and I had to stop playing the piano altogether…

And the break lasted for two years! In May, I was finally able to resume learning (yay!) and then three months later… I broke my elbow! crazy

Now, hopefully, I'm back for good laugh

So, I guess my main goal is to still be playing this time next year, enjoying great practices and lessons, without having too many breaks throughout the year (fingers crossed for no breaks of any kind at all, figurative or otherwise!).

I will also carry on brushing up on my music theory knowledge (which I think was my goal last time) so I understand the intricacies of what I'm playing and hearing!

Happy playing, and thanks for keeping this great forum thriving, everybody!

smile
Posted By: Ojustaboo Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/03/22 11:04 PM
Learn to improvise better.

learn to listen to say a song I like, and by ear work out the chords etc.
Posted By: Sebs Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/03/22 11:39 PM
Thanks for making this thread. I enjoy reading everyone’s goals it also gives me ideas and inspiration!

I have one main goal and it’s to play and record a polished version of a piano solo of a modern pop song with heavy sixteenth vocal melody (like most melodies in today’s pop) from a lead sheet. Such as, a tune by Taylor Swift or Olivia Rodrigo.
Posted By: steamrick Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/04/22 08:45 PM
I learned the piano for the entire length of my schooling, so for 12 years.
For the next 13 years I've very rarely played. This was due to moving out of my parents' place and greatly disliking the piano options I could use and afford in an apartment while attending university.

Yesterday I purchased a Kawai CA 79 and today I've put it together and tested it out.

So my goal for the year: Regain (some of) what I lost in over a decade of not playing.
The ability to sight read quite well, technique, some favourites I used to have memorized, etc.
Posted By: Johan B Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/04/22 09:16 PM
Hi there,

Whatever goals you have... the most important thing is that you have fun when you have the keys under your fingers......
whether you've been playing the piano for a long time, skipped a few years, or you've been playing every day for years.…..I like it, you like it

Have fun, kind regards,
Johan B

(……. have you already checked your goals of the past year.... you can also find it here on ABF....? )
Posted By: cefinow Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/06/22 10:59 PM
Happy New Year. It seems everyone was so excited about 2021, as departing from 2020… and here we are at 2022 already.
1. Well my first goal, is to post something on ABF… Looking back at my previous posts I see I didn’t post a single thing in 2021.
2. Resume regular piano practice. 2021 was the first year in the past decade that I did not play or practice regularly. There were scattered moments of inspiration and effort but nothing consistent.
3. Explore more of Bach’s WTC. I’ve worked on various inventions and Sinfonias, and French Suite No. 5, but have never gotten into his preludes and fugues.
4. Play through all of Beethoven’s sonatas. So far I’ve read through 2/1, 2/2 and 2/3.
5. The Bach and Beethoven are linked to my ongoing reading improvement efforts.
6. Learn some songs (lieder, art songs). I made a start on Brahms “wie Melodien zieht es mir„ . It’s fun to play and sing along, sort of like patting your stomach and rubbing the top of your head at the same time. Coordination!
7. Maintain some of the standards I learned while taking jazz lessons.
8. Improvise more, which is not really intuitive when maintaining a deliberate practice schedule.
Posted By: alans Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/09/22 11:30 PM
My goals are to stick with my current teacher who I am about. I came close to hugging her at my last lesson I felt so moved.
I just started RCM three repertoire and I’m sure I can get to at least five by next summer or fall. I don’t want to take the exams,just work on the repertoire.
And devote as much time as I can to my beloved accordion,an instrument that has frustrated me since day one years ago,but I realized I just need to push back my repertoire and it’s great now. My piano teacher is of the school which says just a bit every day and I’m trying to do that. Working full time and learning two instruments is tough to find the time and energy. But I waste so much of my time otherwise so..
Posted By: Johan B Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/10/22 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by alans
My goals are to stick with my current teacher who I am about. I came close to hugging her at my last lesson I felt so moved.
I just started RCM three repertoire and I’m sure I can get to at least five by next summer or fall. I don’t want to take the exams,just work on the repertoire.
And devote as much time as I can to my beloved accordion,an instrument that has frustrated me since day one years ago,but I realized I just need to push back my repertoire and it’s great now. My piano teacher is of the school which says just a bit every day and I’m trying to do that. Working full time and learning two instruments is tough to find the time and energy. But I waste so much of my time otherwise so..

Hi Alans,

Just do what makes you most happy, music is mainly about fun and enjoyment.... way of life...Succes thumb thumb

Kind regards,
Johan B
Posted By: Emily R Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/10/22 04:18 PM
Goals...hum. I've been taking lessons as a beginner for two years, and have memorized eight pieces, half classical and half popular. In December, I told my teacher I wanted to know (have memorized) a total of 20 pieces by winter 2023 and he suggested I make a list that we could work through. I've re-thought that idea, though, because I don't want to rush through pieces just to be able to check them off, which I think, knowing my personality, I would do. At this stage of my playing, I like having the sequence of pieces progress more organically, with one piece suggesting what the next should be. Plus my teacher is very good at suggesting classical pieces that are challenging but not too hard, except for a current stretch piece. (Prokofiev's "Tarantella"--though I don't know if he realized it was too hard for me when he suggested it.) I guess I could keep a loose list of popular songs I might want to learn, but not feel bound to them or to the numerical goal of 20.

I think, though, that I should be: 1) practicing scales and learning the minor key scales; 2) practicing sight reading (so I don't have to memorize everything!); 3) learning more chords and inversions by heart (critical for popular music); 4) relaxing while I play (need to reread The Art of Practicing); and 5) realizing how lucky I am to have a piano and a piano teacher that I like and the time and mental space (most days) to practice every day. The Art of Practicing, though, suggests that "should" is a word to be careful of when learning an instrument lest it become a chore and spoil the experience.
Posted By: bsalad Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/10/22 04:42 PM
Heyo smile

This is only the second thread I'll be posting to on PW, so "hi all".
Last year was my first year of piano, and I think it went fairly well - I finished Alfred's AIO volume 1, managed to keep a pretty regular practice routine, and managed to pass my ABRSM grade 1 performance certificate.

This year will follow on from that a little.
1 - I'd like to finish Alfred's AIO 2
2 - I'd like to, ideally, practice for an hour a day, most days
3 - I would like to write the ABRSM theory exams (I'm not sure if I should be writing every grade, or just prepping for 5 - so maybe I'll go, 1, 3, 5 or something like that *shrugs*)
4 - I would like to write a practical exam - if ABRSM in NZ is doing face to face exams, I'd very much like to write the grade 1 jazz piano exam. If that's off the table, I'll do grade 2 performance via video.

As long as I'm improving, I guess I'm happy, and even if not, there's so much beautiful beginner music I can already play. So I guess I'm happy either way.
Posted By: Johan B Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/12/22 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by bsalad
Heyo smile

This is only the second thread I'll be posting to on PW, so "hi all".
Last year was my first year of piano, and I think it went fairly well - I finished Alfred's AIO volume 1, managed to keep a pretty regular practice routine, and managed to pass my ABRSM grade 1 performance certificate.

This year will follow on from that a little.
1 - I'd like to finish Alfred's AIO 2
2 - I'd like to, ideally, practice for an hour a day, most days
3 - I would like to write the ABRSM theory exams (I'm not sure if I should be writing every grade, or just prepping for 5 - so maybe I'll go, 1, 3, 5 or something like that *shrugs*)
4 - I would like to write a practical exam - if ABRSM in NZ is doing face to face exams, I'd very much like to write the grade 1 jazz piano exam. If that's off the table, I'll do grade 2 performance via video.

As long as I'm improving, I guess I'm happy, and even if not, there's so much beautiful beginner music I can already play. So I guess I'm happy either way.

Heyo Bsalad,

Welcome to the ABF of pianoworld. Nice that you are so enthusiastic, playing the piano is indeed fun and enjoyment.......

Kind regards and succes to your goals…..
Johan B
Posted By: Lysette Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/12/22 09:19 AM
My piano goals for 2022 are:

No skipping piano lessons (only in case of emergencies or sickness)
Finish Alfred’s Adult 2 (I’ll start this book in next week’s lesson)
Practice every day for at least 1 hour and two hourly sessions on my off workdays
Posted By: Ay9293 Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/12/22 09:56 AM
My piano goals for 2022:

Major:
To carry on playing the piano as well as lessons and to not stop the hobby that I have kept the longest so far

To play more fluently and actively engage in the process of learning

Minor:
To play more grade 4/5 pieces

To achieve grade 6 proficiency
Posted By: Monviso Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/13/22 12:50 PM
It's very interesting to read people's goals, with plenty of fruit for thought. Thank you for setting up this thread Johan.

I aim to continue to progress. My end-of-year goal is to feel confident that I could sail through ABRSM 7 / RCM 8 with distinctions. I like to think that I could get through as it is, so this is about perfecting and securing. I want Henle 5 pieces to be easy (currently Henle 4 are, whereas 5 take practice).

I’m setting quite a dictatorial plan, but I want to improve my playing significantly, to make up for my lack of practice when I was young, and especially as it would give me intense pleasure. Also, I do better with a clear direction to follow.

I shall practice regularly - every day I am at home. Practice will include daily sight-reading, working through books I have found on IMSLP. I would like to learn to sight-sing, so must remember to practice that too…

I want to learn a broad selection of pieces of different styles and period. I found the 40 pieces challenge very helpful last year, and will aim for the same again. Around 8 of these pieces should belong to the RCM/ABRSM lists, at least 10 must be baroque or early classical, and I shall include some easier etudes where I will focus on precision.

I would also like to improve my general musicianship, playing by ear, picking out a tune and working on its accompaniment at least twice a week. Last year I barely worked on scales etc so this year I aim to work on a key per week, using the ABRSM / RCM syllabi as guidelines. Finally, I would like to consolidate / increase the knowledge of theory I started to acquire last year.

Above all, I want to enjoy myself. And perhaps, one day, be able to give pleasure to others...
Posted By: Johan B Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/14/22 09:48 PM
Hi there,

Fine goals you all set…….wish you good luck…

I’ll be back at December 26th….. grin

Kind regards,
Johan B
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/15/22 12:31 AM
My strong suspicion is that except for those desiring professional careers, taking exams, or entering competitions, the only "goals" most pianists are the very general ones of improvement and enjoyment.
Posted By: pablobear Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/15/22 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My strong suspicion is that except for those desiring professional careers, taking exams, or entering competitions, the only "goals" most pianists are the very general ones of improvement and enjoyment.

virgin lol
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Post your musically goals for 2022 - 01/15/22 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by pablobear

virgin lol
???
Originally Posted by pablobear

virgin lol
???

Certainly a cryptic message. Perhaps a younger sibling made an unauthorized post using his computer
wink
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums