Piano World Home Page
Posted By: WTF Bach The music I am into - 09/18/21 11:09 AM
Dear Forumers,

I dare to propose you a short piece showcasing the kind of music I am currently in.

Comments, suggestions and advice welcome.

[video:yahoo]
[/video]
Posted By: NightShade Re: The music I am into - 09/18/21 07:44 PM
Great job, really enjoyed listening and couldn't stop.
Posted By: Steve Chandler Re: The music I am into - 09/22/21 04:29 PM
Really nice bit of Baroque writing. I enjoyed seeing the figured bass go by with the harpsichord hammering out the chords. The interplay between the oboe and flute was fluid and engaging. It would seem you were born a few centuries too late (but we do have better sanitary conditions, medical care, food safety, information technology, and so much more now).
Posted By: WTF Bach Re: The music I am into - 09/23/21 08:10 AM
Thanks a lot.

By the way, I strongly believe that:

1) if one can compose baroque music, he can compose every genre of music
2) if one can play bebop piano, he can play every kind of modern music
Posted By: indigo_dave Re: The music I am into - 10/03/21 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by WTF Bach
Thanks a lot.

By the way, I strongly believe that:

1) if one can compose baroque music, he can compose every genre of music
2) if one can play bebop piano, he can play every kind of modern music

I'm going to have to ponder those interesting thoughts. I love hearing Stravinsky use (what I perceive to be) Bachish Chorale voice leading, but applied to beautiful dissonances. I'm thinking "Symphonies of Wind Instruments". Wish he'd composed a set (3 or 4) of pieces with this exact instrumentation.

To point #2. I play jazz standards, but don't identify as a beboper. I identify as more of a harmonic movement person, Ellington/Strayhorn to mention one "model".
I also (sight) read thru a variety of WTF pieces. I think they're more (what I think of as) motivic - with short melodic 4 note sorts of patterns - varied and manipulated in various interesting ways. I think of Bebop as longer scalar patterns - prominently at least. Am I over generalizing ?

After a little conversation online yesterday, Bartok came up. I pulled out my Mikrokosmos Vol. 6. I'm going to start reading thru a few of them - slowly for study purpose. But the constantly changing meters was taxing my musical mind. So I suspect repeated read thru(s) will help this.

I'm a musical eclectic just engaging in musical thoughts here. And your video is no longer viewable. If you fix that , I will check it out.

I'm thinking and ruminating as I type this...feel free to tell me where I'm wrong. Thoughts ?
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums