Piano World Home Page
Posted By: RedmondSteve Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 06:08 AM
I'm looking for a digital piano / hybrid and am looking at the Yamaha N2. I'm constrained by space, at least in the place I'd like to put the piano, specifically a depth of 21-3/4 inches. The N2 is generally listed as 20-7/8 or 21 inches deep. So that fits. The U1 transacoustic at 24 inches would not fit. But the N2 was introduced over 10 years ago. Is the technology out of date? Any other comments about the N2?
Posted By: 36251 Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by RedmondSteve
I'm looking for a digital piano / hybrid and am looking at the Yamaha N2. I'm constrained by space, at least in the place I'd like to put the piano, specifically a depth of 21-3/4 inches. The N2 is generally listed as 20-7/8 or 21 inches deep. So that fits. The U1 transacoustic at 24 inches would not fit. But the N2 was introduced over 10 years ago. Is the technology out of date? Any other comments about the N2?

I been practicing on N2 for 10 years and never questioned my decision. The sample technology is old but IMHO it was ahead of its time for a built-in sample.

Ppl here will also ask if you considered the Kawai NV10 as it might fit in your space and remind you that the N2 doesn't have the binaural sampling through the headphones of the newer Avantgrands.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 11:26 AM
A space that's just big enough for a piano is too small for a piano. The piano needs plenty of space.

IMO you need a bigger room.
Posted By: johanibraaten Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 11:59 AM
I think the N2 is a brilliant piano, and in some way the best DP ever made (IMO) and the physical footprint of it in relation to sound and performance is still just outstanding. However, it's very pricey and the built in sounds are a bit dated, especially when it comes to string/sympathetic resonance. The source instrument for the sample is Yamahas previous flagship concert grand, the CFIIIS. With that said, some people prefer the sound signature of that instrument over the newer and most recent flagship, the CFX. You should try it out and compare it with, for example, the Yamaha N1X and Kawai NV10s, which both have grand piano actions and updated built-in sounds. If I where in your position I would also try out the Kawai NV5s. That instrument have an upright action but a very good one, and it also has a soundboard, Kawais best and most recent sound source and a great sound system and the footprint is very small. Yamaha NU1X is another option.
Posted By: HZPiano Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 12:29 PM
Hello,

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
A space that's just big enough for a piano is too small for a piano. The piano needs plenty of space.

When reading @RedmondSteve's original post this morning, I thought exactly along those same lines.

On the other hand, a crammed-in piano is better than no piano at all. Having said that, I'd regard the N2 utterly expensive for an instrument to be crammed-in.

Carefully consider your options as others have already suggested.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ
Posted By: EssBrace Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
IMO you need a bigger room.

Possibly, but not necessarily. It might be a specific place within a large room where it needs to go, who knows.

N2 probably has the best player experience of any digital piano ever made as far as the onboard amplification and speaker arrangement is concerned. Despite older samples it's still a contender.
Posted By: spanishbuddha Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
IMO you need a bigger room.

Possibly, but not necessarily. It might be a specific place within a large room where it needs to go, who knows.

N2 probably has the best player experience of any digital piano ever made as far as the onboard amplification and speaker arrangement is concerned. Despite older samples it's still a contender.
I agree, except for the new price which remains stubbornly (too) high.
Posted By: EssBrace Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
IMO you need a bigger room.

Possibly, but not necessarily. It might be a specific place within a large room where it needs to go, who knows.

N2 probably has the best player experience of any digital piano ever made as far as the onboard amplification and speaker arrangement is concerned. Despite older samples it's still a contender.
I agree, except for the new price which remains stubbornly (too) high.

Yes, true. Very expensive thing.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 06:42 PM
Would it be too much to ask for at least an N2X at this juncture?

I mean, please, all they have to do is swap the old motherboard for the new one and call it a day; then they can go ahead and charge a bundle.

Count me in as baffled ‘that they neither upgrade nor discontinue this instrument’.

Yes, it has an impressive speaker system, but so does a 2009 Lexus, and I’m sure none of y’all would buy that car unless it was heavily discounted; heck, the 2021 Camry is already a much better car, and whilst not heavy on leather and speakers, it can leave the Lexus in the dust when it comes to MPG!

I ask, do you really want a 2009 gas-guzzling Lexus simply for a speaker system, leather seats, and bragging rights (“I own a Lexus”)? Please be honest!
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 11:25 PM
So ... you want one of these, Pete?
Originally Posted by Pete14
I ask, do you really want a 2009 gas-guzzling Lexus simply for a speaker system, leather seats, and bragging rights (“I own a Lexus”)?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: Yamaha N2 - 09/17/21 11:48 PM
PMFJI --

Originally Posted by RedmondSteve
I'm looking for a digital piano / hybrid and am looking at the Yamaha N2. I'm constrained by space, at least in the place I'd like to put the piano, specifically a depth of 21-3/4 inches. The N2 is generally listed as 20-7/8 or 21 inches deep. So that fits. The U1 transacoustic at 24 inches would not fit. . . .


Where is the player going to sit, and what is _his/her_ depth ?

A drawing or description of the space problem would help a lot, here.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums