Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Wckoek Roland RP501R vs Casio AP-470 - 11/22/21 11:29 PM
Hello, I am considering between the Roland RP501R and Casio AP-470 where I can buy the Roland used for $660 and the Casio new for $230 more.
I understand that the Casio AP-470 is a newer model that can record via USB, and they seemed to have better app connectivity while Roland's Piano Partner seemed lackluster according to the reviews on app store.
The Roland has Blu-tooth though.
I wondered for those who have experience with both pianos, which one is the better piano in terms of sound an playability?
And should I take Casio's Chordana app and Roland's Piano Partner to my consideration while making the decision for either piano?
Posted By: Learux Re: Roland RP501R vs Casio AP-470 - 11/23/21 04:48 AM
The apps are mostly gimmicks. The way these two pianos sound is very different and you should play them both.

Roland models sound versus casios sampling.

One is not necessarily better than the other but some folks don't like Rolands's modelling sound.
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: Roland RP501R vs Casio AP-470 - 11/23/21 05:25 PM
The RP501r has a sample- based sound generator. It is not modelled.
Posted By: clothearednincompo Re: Roland RP501R vs Casio AP-470 - 11/23/21 05:42 PM
RP-501R has a partly sample based and partly modelled sound so everyone is both right and wrong. 😊

As for Casio vs. Roland, I guess it's just a matter of opinion.
Posted By: peterws Re: Roland RP501R vs Casio AP-470 - 11/23/21 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
RP-501R has a partly sample based and partly modelled sound so everyone is both right and wrong. 😊

And some of us are blissfully oblivious as to the difference between either . . .
Posted By: MarlaJackspiano Re: Roland RP501R vs Casio AP-470 - 11/23/21 11:39 PM
Full disclosure: I haven’t tried the RP-501 but I have tried several Rolands with the PHA-4 action. I have tried the Casio Ap-470 and have done extensive research on both.

I would choose the Casio. I like the Casio. It had a really good feel. In person, the piano is very short. It looks and feels a little like a child’s piano. The keytouch is a little light (although that is subjective) But overall I think it tops the Roland. The Roland has a metallic clang that grates, especially at high volume levels. I think the Casio is a better practice piano. Neither are perfect. Both sound like digital pianos (which they are). Roland may be a tad more realistic, but to me, Casio’s sound is a little more palatable.
Posted By: Wckoek Re: Roland RP501R vs Casio AP-470 - 11/24/21 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by MarlaJackspiano
Full disclosure: I haven’t tried the RP-501 but I have tried several Rolands with the PHA-4 action. I have tried the Casio Ap-470 and have done extensive research on both.

I would choose the Casio. I like the Casio. It had a really good feel. In person, the piano is very short. It looks and feels a little like a child’s piano. The keytouch is a little light (although that is subjective) But overall I think it tops the Roland. The Roland has a metallic clang that grates, especially at high volume levels. I think the Casio is a better practice piano. Neither are perfect. Both sound like digital pianos (which they are). Roland may be a tad more realistic, but to me, Casio’s sound is a little more palatable.
Thanks, I guess I'll spend some time to try the Casio and see if I can haggle the price a bit.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums